• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

stanley1993

Neo Member
This news could also point to the engine needing quite a lot of optimization to get it working on the Wii U well do to it having a different architecture. There is also the financial standpoint.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
As they say: ''so it begins''...
This will probably not be the last case where we hear something like this, and then it will be recycled. It'll also give other game dev community members the courage to speak out.

My first thought: ''Looks like we have another martyrdom according to launch day PS3 standards''.
But then that would mean Nintendo is going to pull-through. I would be wrong because Nintendo does not have region-free gaming, and that brings several fans to the table. On top of the quality titles they will never get.

I'm currently pissed at Nintendo.

Nintendo currently has three problems:
- No region-free games
- Devs already speaking out
- People thinking Nintendo is committing suicide, because of miscommunication.

Bonus: Medarots 7 3DS hasn't been localized.

El_Chino

I don't see the problem? Why can't it just be they really didn't like the results from the Frostbite engine running on the Wii U?

Alebrije

I think it'll take decades for the full story. We'll need stuff from execs at EA and Nintendo to talk until we can piece together the entire story.

It will be like a LOST season, just when you think you got it Jacob appears and everything goes crazy.

You know what I meant. It ran on it, but not enough to their standards. Though it ran well enough on the PS360 for retail release? Come on now.

I don't presume to know more than DICE about their engine. But what I do know is that BF3 had a lot of issues on consoles with freezing, and the whole HD texture pack thing with 360.

i-Lo

A lot of people are discounting the PS4 and Infinity for their weak CPUs, but the CPU part is not separate from the GPU. You're looking at APUs, and the CUs should be factored into the computational power. Its far more of an integrated and thought out design than what's present in any currently released platform.

I don't understand. StevieP and a few other PC gaffers said that PS4/XB3 were getting netbook CPUs. So, does this mean that the engine can be technically ported to all netbooks with Jags? If so then I'll have to get a netbook for PC games featuring FB3.

gngf123

Well he could have just come out and said the WiiU is selling like an absolute JOKE but then even more people would have bitched about that. Dunno what you want to hear, the specs are weak, the architecture is different, which would mean they'd have to devote a ton of money getting the engine up and running on a system that nobody bought.

You don't need to have an MBA to know that's not smart business.

Exactly that. Say exactly that. Just be honest but tactful and say that active userbase isn't large enough to make the high cost of porting it over worth it right now, especially when they can use that money on better things.

No need for any "hardware isn't that great" rubbish.

Fair enough. But if he had been honest a lot more WiiU owners would be raising a fuss. DICE guy was exercising restraint and good PR. AKA the opposite of what that Orth character did.

Which is exactly why he wasn't honest: I agree with you there. Doesn't mean we should take the excuse at face value, like some here are.

StevieP

Banned
I don't understand. StevieP and a few other PC gaffers said that PS4/XB3 were getting netbook CPUs. So, does this mean that the engine can be technically ported to all netbooks with Jags? If so then I'll have to get a netbook for PC games featuring FB3.

How many netbooks and tablets have 8 cores with an integrated 7770/7850-ish GPU? The CPUs are a direct successor to Bobcat (which was a netbook/tablet-oriented CPU) but there are 8 of them in play and they are about 10-15 percent better than bobcat if AMD's slides are to be believed. I realize you're playing your sarcastic character here, but realize that the Wii U's CPUs are also small-design IBM cores - not beefy at all. And there's less of them.

With that said, if EA wanted to port FB3 to Wii U to its strengths and weaknesses, it would run. Just like it will on PS360. Design paradigms are different on all these consoles, but where there are sales to be made there will be engine support. It isn't a mystery.

Again, you're not looking at a traditional CPU. You're looking at a "netbook CPU"+however many compute units the system will have, sort of like the Cell, keeping in mind those CUs are needed for GPU tasks as well.

Edit: I fail at sarcasm.

McLovin

It is a money issue, they probably looked at COD numbers(i'm guessing they were terrible) and said it wasn't worth the man hours.

i-Lo

PS4 & XB3 = OoE (netbook) CPU
WiiU = OoE CPU

Hard to believe EA can't technically run it. It's the money. Plain and simple. Not enough ROI in the forecast.

squidyj

I'm saying his excuse is bull, not that what he did was wrong.

Okay I'm lost: what the fuck does this have to do with anything?

people on the internet think they know what they're talking about when they don't have a fucking clue. so they spout ridiculous conspiracy theory bullshit because they seem to think they're knowledgeable enough about the subject at hand to dismiss a claim when they aren't even fucking close.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Last tweet sucked but was funny because it sounded like one bitter teletubbie.

I thought it was crass, and a 'sleight'? But not really straight for the jugular.

Durante

They are getting a netbook architecture, but a very modern one and 8 cores of it.

On the other hand, Wii U has a CPU design from the last century, 3 cores, and much lower clocked ones at that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
PS4 & XB3 = OoE (netbook) CPU
WiiU = OoE CPU

Hard to believe EA can't technically run it. It's the money. Plain and simple. Not enough ROI in the forecast.

PS4 and the next Xbox have the equivalent of two of those CPUs combined with a lot of other hardware to take stress of the CPU. Wii U also has a GPU that is bottlenecked by a slow RAM pool.

Alex

Maybe they expected the machine to be easier to work with for the more meager returns, especially since Nintendo led everyone to believe it'd be at least a solid hop above what we were getting with the current consoles. Now all we hear about is mediocre dev kits, CPU problems, exotic configurations, etc.

That might indeed make them lazy, I guess, if they were a non-profit organization. But in that case what the fuck does it make Nintendo then, the company who launched this hardware with the avalanche of problems it has and hasn't lifted a finger to alleviate any of them?

I know, I know, wait for Mario.

See, I'm not really perturbed at buying a Wii U early, because I got my Monster Hunter and eventually the handful of games I bought it for will come out and make it worth it as an ancillary machine. But for anyone else, unless they're striking some lucrative deal with Nintendo this thing is a complete fucking turkey and they don't need an excuse to avoid it. It is the second Gamecube but without the brilliant hardware and having burnt quite a lot of bridges.

If they managed to really turn it around, change their stripes, whatever, awesome, but even as someone who likes them enough to buy all their shit day and date I don't think they deserve that benefit of the doubt and if taking some big lumps makes them handle certain things a bit better then so be it.

i-Lo

They are getting a Netbook architecture, but a very modern one and 8 cores of it.

On the other hand, Wii U has a CPU design from the last century, 3 cores, and much lower clocked ones.

Are the cores in PS4/XB3 just vanilla (for lack of a better word) taped together?

Exactly that. Say exactly that. Just be honest but tactful and say that active userbase isn't large enough to make the high cost of porting it over worth it right now, especially when they can use that money on better things.

No need for any "hardware isn't that great" rubbish.
But these things aren't exclusive and independent. It can be a small installed base issue, a small audience within that installed base, a bad ROI issue, a development tools issue and the hardware isn't that great for what they want to do.

DAT SALT with the last tweet. I didn't find it funny. Just childish.

What do you expect from a fanboy? Acceptance? Can't really blame him/her since things looked great a couple years ago and now look like a complete mess. Can't blame EA that the hardware can't handle their engine, though. I'm sure they're not alone.

i-Lo

How many netbooks and tablets have 8 cores with an integrated 7770/7850-ish GPU? The CPUs are a direct successor to Bobcat (which was a netbook/tablet-oriented CPU) but there are 8 of them in play and they are about 10-15 percent better than bobcat if AMD's slides are to be believed. I realize you're playing your sarcastic character here, but realize that the Wii U's CPUs are also small-design IBM cores - not beefy at all. And there's less of them.

With that said, if EA wanted to port FB3 to Wii U to its strengths and weaknesses, it would run. Just like it will on PS360. Design paradigms are different on all these consoles, but where there are sales to be made there will be engine support. It isn't a mystery.

That's true, I suppose. Only time will tell if going with "netbook" cores was the right choice. Not that you'll be worrying though with your next-next-gen PC.

Nirolak the op is 100% right. I remember how excited I was about the Bad Company 2 beta back when it was released in January of 2010. The game ran really badly on my Dual Core E8400. Bad Company (Frost Bite 2.0) was one of the first PC games that recommended a quad core CPU.

Durante

Are the cores in PS4/XB3 just vanilla (for lack of a better word) taped together?
From all we know, they are "just" Jaguar cores, 2 modules of 4 each. The customizations seem to be related to how they interact with the GPU / memory subsystem in each box, not really the CPU itself.

USC-fan

Banned

The chips that are going into tablet are cousin of the chips going into the ps4/720.

tkscz

So am I the only one who isn't caring because I didn't like Battlefield 3 anyway? The only Dice game I liked was Mirror's Edge, and I don't care how much hinting they do, I don't see a sequel coming for it.

GetemMa

I don't believe the tech excuse.

If that were the actual reason why is it that all the games that don't use the new engines are also not coming to the WiiU either? Especially the ones running on current gen hardware. Madden, NHL, Tiger Woods, Dead Space, Crysis, etc...

Nah, EA is butt hurt because they've never shied away from investing in small install bases before.

I am dying to know what started this lovers quarrel.

Dat last tweet.

ibjS3w1khh9RbB.gif

Last tweet nails it. LOL

Majanew

Banned
So am I the only one who isn't caring because I didn't like Battlefield 3 anyway? The only Dice game I liked was Mirror's Edge, and I don't care how much hinting they do, I don't see a sequel coming for it.

There's about 10+ Frostbite 3 games in development. You should care if you game mostly on Wii U.

So if he had written a more elaborate tweet saying:
It wasn't worth the money, time and human resources to cut-down and/or modify the engine so that it would run smoothly, if at all, on a platform upon which we don't expect sales to recoup the cost.

yep. publishers moving to internal engines and away from UE3 (and probably UE4) is bad news for the Wii U, especially when it's not easy for any of those internal engines that were CPU limited to get ported over to the Wii U.

a lot of us thought the Wii U would be an easy port, but the weaker/architecturally different CPU messes that up. a low effort port gets up and running easily, but any CPU sensitive elements of it are going to make performance nose dive.

knowing what we do now, I think it was a mistake for Nintendo not to ensure that the CPU was powerful enough to match the 360s without seeing a lot of coding done to tailor the engine to the system. where as the PS4 and Durango can both be relatively easily targeted due to their similar architecture, in many cases the Wii U can't even really share it's code base with the 360 and PS3. and who is going to do all that custom work apart from someone like Criterion who seem to code for fun?

people on the internet think they know what they're talking about when they don't have a fucking clue. so they spout ridiculous conspiracy theory bullshit because they seem to think they're knowledgeable enough about the subject at hand to dismiss a claim when they aren't even fucking close.

So you're saying you know?

I don't believe the tech excuse.

If that were the actual reason why is it that all the games that don't use the new engines are also not coming to the WiiU either? Especially the ones running on current gen hardware. Madden, NHL, Tiger Woods, Dead Space, Crysis, etc...

Because 45k sales a month. EA hasn't said anything about reevaluating the situation with Madden/Tiger etc next year. They're cutting headcount, not adding it, can't blame them for prioritizing well.

Don't know about that comment. I would ask him around what time that was tested and if it was with the latest dev kit. Also how much effort was put into optimizing it, I am guessing not much, dat unprecedented partnership!!!

Because 45k sales a month. EA hasn't said anything about reevaluating the situation with Madden/Tiger etc next year. They're cutting headcount, not adding it, can't blame them for prioritizing well.

Let's see how that pays off, I really hope it comes back to bite them.

Kimawolf

I'm not seeing it. Are all retorts and counters going to be called salty now?

Basically. It's another kind of way to try to dismiss any argument or opinion you don't like, the same with posting gifs or calling someone a fanboy, it's a easy way to just try to avoid a conversation. Hence why you see people say it all the time now.

I'm not seeing it. Are all retorts and counters going to be called salty now?

If the comment were said in any other context it wouldn't be considered salt; but because its Nintendo some people are trying to make it out to be something its not.

If people don't see a big gap between 'unprecedented partnership' and 'no Madden' then I'll leave that to them. But its frustrating seeing people making it out like theres not more going on here.

prag16

Banned
150+ million install base.
People always say that, but I have to wonder.. how many of those are people who own both consoles, and how many of those 150 million consoles have kicked the bucket and are no longer functional?

Though of course that doesn't change the general idea of the statement.

Lol bitter Nintendo fans who know more about DICE engine than DICE

I thought non of you brought the wii u, wii u, wii u, wii for third party games, so why the tears?

Top Bottom