• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

TheD

The Detective
The Frostbite engine technical director say it did not run well, no one has any more knowledge about the engine than him, thus no one has any right to claim that it worked well!
Claiming that you do know better is childish self entitlement!

tkscz

I'm saying you don't and a lot of people who don't are acting like they do.

See here is the thing. You either WANT to hear that the WiiU is powerful (more so than 360/PS3) and you listen only to the devs who confirm that, Crytek, Frozenbyte, Shin'en, Criterion Games, Ubisoft. Or you DON'T want to hear that it's more powerful and only listen to devs who say it isn't; Epic, DICE, Gearbox(?).

That is how it works on NeoGaf, it isn't that difficult to see that.

Seems that every developer that dosn't praise the Wii U is lazy....

...that's a loooot of developers.

Not really.

The Frostbite engine technical director say it did not run well, no one has any more knowledge about the engine than him, thus no one has any right to claim that it worked well!

There is only argument because other developers seem to be doing fine with their engines. So this causes contradictions in the mind of the gamer. Why is it that one developer can do it, but another can't? The only obvious one is that the dev that couldn't wasn't trying. Criterion Games said most devs just look at whats on paper and didn't give the WiiU a second thought, which really doesn't help this argument.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, Dice is the only game that has gone on record saying that Wii U is too weak for games that are coming for 360 & Ps3.

See here is the thing. You either WANT to hear that the WiiU is powerful (more so than 360/PS3) and you listen only to the devs who confirm that, Crytek, Frozenbyte, Shin'en, Criterion Games, Ubisoft. Or you DON'T want to hear that it's more powerful and only listen to devs who say it isn't; Epic, DICE, Gearbox(?).

Epic and Gearbox haven't said anything about that, though.

gngf123

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize the Wii U. So far, this is the only developer who has come out and said that the thing doesn't even get reasonable performance compared to the 360 or PS3. So yeah, not really.

He clearly doesn't know that the Wii U is more capable than the current gen and can run all modern engines with ease provided you turn the settings down.

Not really.

gearbox never said the wii u was less powerful, just the oposite in fact

x-Lundz-x

To be fair, Dice is the only game that has gone on record saying that Wii U is too weak for games that are coming for 360 & Ps3.

The fact that almost every 3rd party except Ubisoft has abandoned the WiiU for even current gen games speaks for itself.

The hardware inside the WiiU is terrible and no amount of salty tweets are going to change that.

I really would have rather he said that the engine didn't perform favorably at first but the decision ultimately came down to "resources".

It just seems more honest and is an answer I can respect a little more.

It'll be interesting to see how decisions like this will pan out in the future. I wonder if Ubisoft's foot in the door (even if the relationship was marred by the Rayman debacle) with the user-base will actually translate into favorable sales and if EA will possibly regret their choice to noticeably shaft the system. I doubt it though.

MYE

Dat last tweet.

ibjS3w1khh9RbB.gif

haha yeah. Awesome reply

squidyj

What.

I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise in this thread.

what part are you having trouble with?

I'm sure I'm not as familiar with the Wii U hardware as any dev team that worked on it, but you don't have to jump through hoops to get an idea of why what he said was nothing more than an excuse.

well if you have the evidence why are you holding back? unless you don't have the evidence and all you have is a handful of supposition and conjecture

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that almost every 3rd party except Ubisoft has abandoned the WiiU for even current gen games speaks for itself.

Yes, Wii U isn't doing good in the market. But we already have multipats games that run better than their 360/Ps3 counterparts. Even one from EA!

tkscz

gearbox never said the wii u was less powerful, just the oposite in fact

I put a question mark after it due to Gear Box being a flip flopper. Upon initial announcement at E3 2011, GearBox did say it was really weak. During Alien's: CM development, they sudden switched their view, but we see how that game turned out, so it's in question.

Well Epic's UE3 vs UE4 for Wii U "controversy" spurred plenty of debate about the Wii U's (lack of) power, which is why they might be pegged in the detractor camp.

As for Gearbox:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/05/gearbox_wii_u_is_a_powerful_powerful_machine

But this was a year ago when we thought A:CM would be good. Some people tried to spin the game's cancellation as due to a lack of power, but I don't think anyone bought it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If a quick and easy FB2 port was possible I'm sure they would have done it. But it seems like it wasn't so they didn't bother.

evangd007

The only ones who actually say that the Wii U compares poorly to the Xbox360 and PS3 are DICE, 4A Games, and USC-fan.

Well Epic's UE3 vs UE4 for Wii U "controversy" spurred plenty of debate about the Wii U's (lack of) power, which is why they might be pegged in the detractor camp.

As for Gearbox:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/05/gearbox_wii_u_is_a_powerful_powerful_machine

But this was a year ago when we thought A:CM would be good. Some people tried to spin the game's cancellation as due to a lack of power, but I don't think anyone bought it.

"It'll look like this, but better"

lol Sorry that's funny in retrospect.

TheD

The Detective
There is only argument because other developers seem to be doing fine with their engines. So this causes contradictions in the mind of the gamer. Why is it that one developer can do it, but another can't? The only obvious one is that the dev that couldn't wasn't trying. Criterion Games said most devs just look at whats on paper and didn't give the WiiU a second thought, which really doesn't help this argument.

No!

Not all engine are the same! Not all games have the same load and type of load!

x-Lundz-x

Yes, Wii U isn't doing good in the market. But we already have multipats games that run better than their 360/Ps3 counterparts. Even one from EA!

Criterons game is the only one that that is halfway decent. Mass effect 3 and blops 2 both were all over the place as far as performance. Even batman had its own issues.

So, power is the reason when a console widely perceived as close in power to the PS360 doesn't get a next gen engine that is also being ported to the PS360.

But those two consoles are exempt from the power rule because they have a large install base that would justify the cost....

...yet the Wii U's small install base isn't the reason, it must be power.

Do you see why that makes absolutely no sense?

Perfect post.

what part are you having trouble with?

well if you have the evidence why are you holding back? unless you don't have the evidence and all you have is a handful of supposition and conjecture

I thought by now anyone in a discussion on the Wii U's power would at least be familiar with the GPU thread, which has since become a general power discussion.

The hardware inside the WiiU is terrible and no amount of salty tweets are going to change that.

This just doesn't make any sense....

The fact that Ubisoft and several other third parties have their engines running quite well on the system tell us that the hardware is at least able to produce PS360 level graphics. The hardware isn't "terrible". Terrible would be the system being unable to run any of the end of the generation games it already has (a small few with noticeable improvements). Underpowered compared to next-gen certainly, but it seems obvious that devs aren't planning to just drop Ps360 because they'll be underpowered when PS4720 release.

The only explanation is really that most publishers feel their titles won't find an audience on Wii and so see little need in porting engines too it. Do you think that if PS4 or 720 weren't powerful enough to run current engines favorably without any serious work that publishers would choose not to support them?

Criterons game is the only one that that is halfway decent. Mass effect 3 and blops 2 both were all over the place as far as performance. Even batman had its own issues.

Assassin's Creed came at launch and ran with complete parity with the PS360 version...

Not to mention the fact that I consider AssCreed and MW more impressive than both Mass Effect and especially Blops2 for the most part.

tkscz

No!

Not all engine are the same! Not all games have the same load and type of load!

Tell that to NeoGaf. I'm saying why the argument even exists. People will compare CE3 and FB3, and because one runs smoothly, and another doesn't, then that's the first thing that will come to some gamer's minds.

RoKKeR

Neogaf.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man that last reply was so terrible considering who he was replying to. Johan is such a smart guy, and has immense technical knowledge. I was always under impression that he's one of the very hands-on, in-the-trenches kind of developers, despite being a technical director for the engine there. He's not some EA business suit that you'd want to mock with a tweet like that.

So, power is the reason when a console widely perceived as close in power to the PS360 doesn't get a next gen engine that is also being ported to the PS360.

But those two consoles are exempt from the power rule because they have a large install base that would justify the cost....

...yet the Wii U's small install base isn't the reason, it must be power.

Do you see why that makes absolutely no sense?
It was already pointed out to you that they apparently did the legwork for such porting years ago, since they already have FB2 running on those systems.

If they didn't and/or FB3 wasn't a direct upgrade of FB2 then would porting FB3 to the 360/PS3 be justifiable given their weakness relative to the PS4/Durango/PC? Who can say.

gngf123

Really now? You are going to pull out the entitlement argument?

gngf123

Oh those lazy, lazy developers. Clearly this is some sort of malicious plot against the Wii U and Nintendo.

Nobody here is suggesting that, stop parodying people who barely exist.

EDIT: Of course I meant the malicious plot rubbish, not the lazy developer talk. People don't seem to be understanding what I actually said:

I see I was misunderstood.

Plenty of people, including myself, have claimed that DICE don't care enough to port it - for money reasons, ROI or whatever. Very few people have claimed that it is some crazy malicious plot by EA.

It is possible that EA just don't see it as important enough to work on, nothing malicious about that.

markot

Banned
I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".

lol? Explain GCN and N64. "Under powered" is just the new excuse people are trotting out.

gngf123

Yes, because they are.

Okay, so I ask this - what do they feel they are entitled too... exactly.

I don't own a Wii U, who knows if I will ever own one (although SMTxFE could have me tempted). I also have no interest in Battlefield or most of the other games that have previously been made in F2. Yet I'm here pointing out my doubts in what Johan has said. I stand with nothing to gain from F3 Wii U. Where is the entitlement?

I'm pretty damn sure I'm not the only one in this thread, either.

BlackJace

So much salt and bitterness in here.
You're only the ninth person to say that.
It was already pointed out to you that they apparently did the legwork for such porting years ago, since they already have FB2 running on those systems.

If they didn't and/or FB3 wasn't a direct upgrade of FB2 then would porting FB3 to the 360/PS3 be justifiable given their weakness relative to the PS4/Durango/PC? Who can say.
Not sure what you're getting at.

tmarques

Why is the Wii U looking out into the rain? It's stuck inside the house?

edit: Wait, I guess the pad would be reversed if that were the case. But then why is the controller semi-transparent/turning invisible?

It's a ghost.

(Because the WiiU is dead, silly.)

I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".
GTA obviously couldnt run on the weak gamecube compared to the beast of the ps2. Matter of fact RE4 looked so bad on gamecube capcom had to port it to ps2 to show the games graphical prowress of the game.

Top Bottom