• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

TheD

The Detective
Okay, so I ask this - what do they feel they are entitled too... exactly.

I don't own a Wii U, who knows if I will ever own one (although SMTxFE could have me tempted). I also have no interest in Battlefield or most of the other games that have previously been made in F2. Yet I'm here pointing out my doubts in what Johan has said. I stand with nothing to gain from F3 Wii U. Where is the entitlement?

I'm pretty damn sure I'm not the only one in this thread, either.

Claiming that you know how the engine runs better than the people that made it is self entitlement, you do not know how the engine runs and thus have no right to claim they are lying!

JordanN

Banned
lol? Explain GCN and N64. "Under powered" is just the new excuse people are trotting out.
They rarely missed out games because the hardware was too weak. The reverse happend where they actually got alot of PC ports because of it.

gngf123

Claiming that you know how the engine runs better than the people that made it is self entitlement, you do not know how the engine runs and thus have no right to claim they are lying!

I seriously don't think you know what entitlement is.

Portugeezer

If Wii U sold more and people were buying games on Wii U I bet the technical director would have made it work.

But right now... best to cut your losses.

oneils

Nintendo and EA fighting remind me of little kids fighting.

EA: "We want you to do everything I say!"
Nintendo: "But you want us to make Origin our main platform for Wii U, we can't do that, sorry.
EA: "WHAT!!!???"
Nintendo: "You heard us"
EA: "Our partnership is over! We won't give your stupid Wii U anything!"
and so on...

Did EA really pull this on Nintendo? Do you have a source or a link to a thread here? Be interesting reading.

AGITΩ

If Wii U sold more and people were buying games on Wii U I bet the technical director would have made it work.

Nah, then the excuse would be "We don't believe there's an Audience for our kinds of games on there...yet"

Why is the Wii U looking out into the rain? It's stuck inside the house?

edit: Wait, I guess the pad would be reversed if that were the case. But then why is the controller semi-transparent/turning invisible?

Because ... it was dead the whole time! [Jump Scare]

EA's trying to Dreamcast the Wii U. Too bad Nintendo has already survived entire generations almost entirely on first party titles, and EA is nowhere near as powerful as they were in the early 2000s.

cloudyy

Even if it was selling like cupcakes things wouldn't change much, the Nintendo demographic isn't the one that interest most big publishers nowadays. It's a simple defensive marketing strategy.

Did EA really pull this on Nintendo? Do you have a source or a link to a thread here? Be interesting reading.

No it's just become the narrative that is played up by people who cannot understand why a company would not want to support a system that is selling worse than the Gamecube.

gngf123

To my knowledge, nobody knows. EA were advertising an "unprecedented partnership" and some rumors were going around saying that Nintendo were going to be using Origin. Then that didn't happen and the partnership mysteriously broke down.

Then the Wii U didn't sell all that well and that broken down relationship normally comes up in threads about it.

JordanN

Banned
GTA obviously couldnt run on the weak gamecube compared to the beast of the ps2. Matter of fact RE4 looked so bad on gamecube capcom had to port it to ps2 to show the games graphical prowress of the game.
Power is a component of third party support.

If Gamecube was a NES, the thought of GTA probably wouldn't run through anyone at Rockstar's mind. Same as if PS2 had PS1 hardware. RE4 port wouldn't have been likely (unless you want to kill 1 zombie per level).

TheD

The Detective
I seriously don't think you know what entitlement is.

It is a claim to rights or privileges.
The fact is that no one that does not have a good understanding of the Frostbite code has a right to attack a dev for stating they had problems with trying to port the code they made to a system.

No it's just become the narrative that is played up by people who cannot understand why a company would not want to support a system that is selling worse than the Gamecube.

Well, to be fair, clearly something happened between E3 2010 and now besides awful Wii U sales. But it certainly wasn't as ridiculously one-sided as Meelow paints it with EA playing the role of some cartoon villain.

i-Lo

Nintendo fanz, fear not. When the next Mario, Zelda, Metroid, WiiU Sports and WiiU Music drives the sales of the console to unprecedented levels increasing the userbase a few folds, EA's will come around regardless of the HW.

They made the right choice, it seems. Atleast according to Wii U sales.

This is not about the right choice, it is about giving a BS answer about a game or engine not running on the Wii U, I bet they did not had any effort.

The point made by various fellow gaffers is that other high end engines like Cryengine 3, Ubisoft internal engines, Warner, hopefully IW, and others are able to run pretty well on the Wii U.

Anyone can enlighten us with the latest info by ideaman, I can not recal exactly what I read about the latest optimizations being very good for certain upcoming games.

Ridley327

It was pretty clear that something went south even before the system came out to those sales numbers, so it's not exactly a cut-and-dry story.

He clearly doesn't know that the Wii U is more capable than the current gen and can run all modern engines with ease provided you turn the settings down.

What.

I mean - I don't have the technical expertise, and I don't want to derail - but is this a fact? I thought the jury was still out on the power levels of the Wii U. I certainly haven't seen anything that says it's more capable. Maybe a few titles run better, but I haven't seen anything definite yet.

As for the OP - pretty funny I guess. It's about what most people should have expected. Not for one second should anyone have bought into the 3rd Party BS that Nintendo and the developers were spouting. We didn't see or hear anything for ages, and outside of maybe Bayonetta 2 - there was no indication that it was somehow getting increased support. The best case scenario was always that they might pick up the 360/PS3 ports - and it's market performance has affected that.

Also - posters who claim to know more than Dice. I'm sure there were other reasons not to get it running - including the userbase... but let's not pretend we know for certain that it could/should have run FB3 - given we have no idea what's involved and how it would potentially performed. It's far too easy to just blame laziness and not look at the massive mis-step Nintendo took in securing support.

There's no source for it, because it never happened. EA had Mass Effect, FIFA, Madden, and a great version of NFS for the Wii U. Not the actions of a company deliberately trying to fuck over another company. It's just the narrative some people have come up with to shift blame from Nintendo to those dastardly, "lazy", third parties.

Why nirolak? Why would you send GAF into utter chaos with this thread? ={

He hates you. We all hate you.

I like you.

Power is a component of third party support.

If Gamecube was a NES, the thought of GTA probably wouldn't run through anyone at Rockstar's mind. Same as if PS2 had PS1 hardware. RE4 port wouldn't have been likely (unless you want to kill 1 zombie per second).
Power is a component but not always. There are plenty current gen 3rd party games that will miss the Wii U. Power is not the end all solution you wish it to be.

prwxv3

Nintendo fanz, fear not. When the next Mario, Zelda, Metroid, WiiU Sports and WiiU Music drives the sales of the console to unprecedented levels increasing the userbase a few folds, EA's will come around regardless of the HW.

I dont think so. They will get better but not anything earth shattering.

Wait there's a frostbite 3?
Did they change the version number because they finally managed to write some decent netcode?

Ahhh who am I kidding

Rajack

Good programmers will always figure out a way to make something work and that leads me to believe DICE's technical team is just fucking lazy and are lying through their teeth so they don't look like completely incompetent schmucks. Now they just look like a bunch of lying, lazy schmucks instead. Its really only natural for people to call them on their bullshit.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
There's no source for it, because it never happened. EA had Mass Effect, FIFA, Madden, and a great version of NFS for the Wii U. Not the actions of a company deliberately trying to fuck over another company. It's just the narrative some people have come up with to shift blame from Nintendo to those dastardly, "lazy", third parties.

Something did happen, though, Since the unprecedented relationship never amounted to anything.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol, just saw your edit

In the fanboys defense, madden and ME were pretty shitty ports iirc (I was almost tempted to buy ME =#). Late ports or not I suppose support is support.

In regards to the bolded, I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

It was pretty clear that something went south even before the system came out to those sales numbers, so it's not exactly a cut-and-dry story.

Well we are now finding out that message board posters predicted some of the issues Wii U is having (that Iwata and Nintendo now, 6 months to a year, are admitting exist), is it not possible a corp as large as EA had analysts who saw the writing on the wall and EA as a whole thought "yeah that Wii u isn't looking so hot lets proceed with extreme caution..."?

Something did happen, though, Since the unprecedented relationship never amounted to anything.

Maybe it was the realization that the hardware budget went into the controller instead of the console. We have no idea. Let's face it, this situation isn't contained to just EA. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a GTA5 planned for Wii U. It's an unfortunate situation, but it's really hard for me to blame any publisher for not want to take many risks now. So many development houses have already been shuttered. It's a good time to be cautious.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, that's right. Take a dig at Frostbite's technical director over the EA/Nintendo relationship, because he totally deserves it. That fucker.

TheD

The Detective
Good programmers will always figure out a way to make something work and that leads me to believe DICE's technical team is just fucking lazy and are lying through their teeth so they don't look like completely incompetent schmucks. Now they just look like a bunch of lying, lazy schmucks instead. Its really only natural for people to call them on their bullshit.

No!

It is not always possible to make something work fast enough on a system!

They are computers, not fucking magic boxes!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it was the realization that the hardware budget went into the controller instead of the console. We have no idea. Let's face it, this situation isn't contained to just EA. I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a GTA5 planned for Wii U. It's an unfortunate situation, but it's really hard for me to blame any publisher for not want to take many risks now. So many development houses have already been shuttered. It's a good time to be cautious.

So, do you agree with the premise that something indeed happen? Good. :)

What was it? I (we) don't know.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
A tweet can be both funny and upset/salty at the same time
It would have been funny if the recipient was Peter Moore. As it is, what was he hoping to accomplish by sending this to a guy who probably spends 16 hours work days making sure things run the best they possibly can? Was he hoping that Repi would launch into some Adam Orth style, self-destructive tirade to defend his EA overlords? Kind of a jerk move, if you ask me.

JordanN

Banned
Power is a component but not always. There are plenty current gen 3rd party games that will miss the Wii U. Power is not the end all solution you wish it to be.
I think there's a misunderstanding.

I'm saying when power is an issue, it's an issue. If a developer says their games wont run, that's that.

The alternative is expecting developers to bend backwards for Nintendo's silly requirements when they shouldn't have to (and they don't).

Dibbz

Yeah, that's right. Take a dig at Frostbite's technical director over the EA/Nintendo relationship, because he totally deserves it. That fucker.

You don't understand. We are in the presence of experts in here. They watch E3 press conferences so they know all there is to know about industry relations, coding etc.

GetemMa

I'm the fanboys defense, madden and ME were pretty shitty ports iirc. Late ports or not I suppose support is support.

It feels like they just put out shit and then said "oh look it didn't sell, there goes your support"

Madden 13 was a shit port on the old Madden 12 engine.

FIFA 13 was the a shit port on the old FIFA 12 engine.

Mass Effect 3 was an 8 month old port released at a full $60 price, only a week after EA released the whole trilogy for $60 on all the other platforms.

Need for Speed Most Wanted U was released almost 5 months after the original at full price.

Expecting this stuff to sell is kind of stupid.

tkscz

Going by gaming history he does. Developers like Rareware were able to make Conker's Bad Furday work on the N64, something most developers would swear up and down would be impossible. The history of gaming has always shown that if there is a will, there is a way. Going by that, if DICE had the will, they'd make the way.

i-Lo

Do you remember that bird and Zelda demo? If WiiU can handle those and CryEngine 3, there iz no reazonable excuze for DICE.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They have no incentive to slave over a hot Wii U so they can release a barely passable port of BF3/BF4 that no one is going to play anyway. That effort is better spent on the next gen versions, which have a chance of not being completely gimped compared to the PC port.

JWong

Banned
It feels like they just put out shit and then said "oh look it didn't sell, there goes your support"

Madden 13 was a shit port on the old Madden 12 engine.

FIFA 13 was the a shit port on the old FIFA 12 engine.

Mass Effect 3 was an 8 month old port released at a full $60 price, only a week after EA released the whole trilogy for $60 on all the other platforms.

Need for Speed Most Wanted U was released almost 5 months after the original at full price.

Expecting this stuff to sell is kind of stupid.

FIFA was a shit port because Nintendo's online was a wreck to develop on.

Controller features were great, but no one gives a shit if there is no FUT.

So, do you agree with the premise that something indeed happen? Good. :)

What was it? I (we) don't know.

Yes, I do agree. Add it to the list of things I want to know about, but will probably never find out. The other big one - why the hell can't I buy a 3DS XL from Amazon.

When EA professed it's support for WiiU in 2011 they were likely already planning to move e forward with Frostbyte at the core of its software. I'm sure the was/is a solution to this but with wiiu's sales there is little reason to. But I wonder what EA hopes to achieve by seemingly boycotting WiiU?

Edit: does make me wonder.how scaleable Frostbyte is compare to similar solutions?

at the time the 'unprescidented partnership' was announcd the hardware was noticably weaker than it finished up being

USC-fan

Banned

I bet there are more released games made by EA on the WIIU than nintendo made games...

What I see as most BS is that it does not run well on the Wii U, but then somehow it runs on PS360.

The problem with this logic is that they have spent years working on the ps360 and already have an engine running on these systems. They tried to port this engine to the wiiu and got poor results.

Top Bottom