• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

BlackJace

I'm not seeing it. Are all retorts and counters going to be called salty now?

Pretty much. I did a double take when squidyj called me salty for attempting to voice my opinion on the tweet.

Everyone arguing for the other team is salty now.

PS4 & XB3 = OoE (netbook) CPU
WiiU = OoE CPU

Hard to believe EA can't technically run it. It's the money. Plain and simple. Not enough ROI in the forecast.

Are you playing dumb?

Ps4 & XB3 = 100gflops
WiiU = 15gflops

WiiU isn't a "GPU-centric" design, it just has an old, crappy CPU.

prwxv3

Don't know about that comment. I would ask him around what time that was tested and if it was with the latest dev kit. Also how much effort was put into optimizing it, I am guessing not much, dat unprecedented partnership!!!

Let's see how that pays off, I really hope it comes back to bite them.

Not with these sales it wont.

Don't know about that comment. I would ask him around what time that was tested and if it was with the latest dev kit. Also how much effort was put into optimizing it, I am guessing not much, dat unprecedented partnership!!!

Let's see how that pays off, I really hope it comes back to bite them.

You hope that being smart with their money/resources comes back to bite them? That's awesome.

Biker19

Banned
I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".

Probably never.

That last tweet was very brutal indeed.

cloudyy

It is a money issue, they probably looked at COD numbers(i'm guessing they were terrible) and said it wasn't worth the man hours.
CoD isn't EA. Even then, I don't believe this money issue, otherwise they would stop making games that only caters to the 15-20 male demographic, which they don't want to see fleeing to a Nintendo system.

JordanN

Banned
There's a positive to all this. Wii U will probably have a lifespan of 3-4 years max (I mean why not? Nintendo doesn't even seem to care about it). 2015 seems like enough time to pass for Nintendo to haggle some retcon parts that can run PS4 ports with ease.

This could serve them well till PS5/1440 show up in say, 2023/2024.

It's either that or watching another Wii repeat unfold for the next 10 years but with no waggle phenomenon to back it.

I dunno. It seems like Nintendo is screwed either way. Show me something reaffirming.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I thought that had more to do with the 2k vs. Madden beef than console sales, as EA backed the Xbox and Gamecube and Dreamcast was on track to sell as well as either of them.
The reason they could snub the Dreamcast was because of its low sales.

BlackJace

Lol bitter Nintendo fans who know more about DICE engine than DICE

I thought non of you brought the wii u, wii u, wii u, wii for third party games, so why the tears?

Trolling or not, I'm honestly asking you to point out these tears. Next to salty and its variants, this is yet another lame and dismissive retort that serves no purpose other than to shit up threads.
Yeesh.

gngf123

Pretty much. I did a double take when squidyj called me salty for attempting to voice my opinion on the tweet.

Of course, you must be a salty Wii U fanboy.

Pretty sure I have been called salty, and someone has accused me of being that twitter poster. It is honestly kind of ridiculous.

But these things aren't exclusive and independent. It can be a small installed base issue, a small audience within that installed base, a bad ROI issue, a development tools issue and the hardware isn't that great for what they want to do.

Of course, I never argued otherwise except for one thing - I made a case that the one reason Johan pointed out (the hardware) doesn't necessarily match up all that well to what we know about the Wii U and what it is capable of. Outside of that, it could be any combination of things.

The reason they could snub the Dreamcast was because of its low sales.

I might be wrong, but didn't the Dreamcast actually sell really well initially? It was the Saturn that raised serious doubts in EA's mind, and they never returned.

There's a positive to all this. Wii U will probably have a lifespan of 3-4 years max (I mean why not? Nintendo doesn't even seem to care about it). 2015 seems like enough time to pass for Nintendo to haggle some retcon parts that can run PS4 ports with ease.

It's either that or watching another Wii repeat unfold for the next 10 years but with no waggle phenomenon to back it.

I dunno. It seems like Nintendo is screwed either way. Show me something reaffirming.
You should write fan fiction imo

AGITΩ

I felt compelled to make this
LPIFCF1.jpg

Nothing in this post has any basis in reality, does it?

StevieP

Banned
The mistake wasnt relying on third parties. You need them. The mistake was putting so much money into the controller instead of the console. Power is the reason frostbite 3 games won't be on the Wii U.

No, no it isn't. It's return on investment. Opportunity cost isn't there to justify the port and associated engine op

Tyrax

EA could have pulled need for speed most wanted if the relationship was that bad. I think they will be back in WiiU when Nintendo sells more units

prwxv3

The mistake wasnt relying on third parties. You need them. The mistake was putting so much money into the controller instead of the console. Power is the reason frostbite 3 games won't be on the Wii U.

The red flag was that even with the underpowered specs they were still taking a loss (though small) on the console.

How badly does the Wii U's slow RAM cripple the hardware?

Shin'en:

When testing our first code on Wii U we were amazed how much we could throw at it without any slowdowns, at that time we even had zero optimizations. The performance problem of hardware nowadays is not clock speed but ram latency. Fortunately Nintendo took great efforts to ensure developers can really work around that typical bottleneck on Wii U. They put a lot of thought on how CPU, GPU, caches and memory controllers work together to amplify your code speed. For instance, with only some tiny changes we were able to optimize certain heavy load parts of the rendering pipeline to 6x of the original speed, and that was even without using any of the extra cores.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/03/shinen-mega-interview-harnessing-the-wii-u-power/

BlackJace

So, power is the reason when a console widely perceived as close in power to the PS360 doesn't get a next gen engine that is also being ported to the PS360.

But those two consoles are exempt from the power rule because they have a large install base that would justify the cost....

...yet the Wii U's small install base isn't the reason, it must be power.

Do you see why that makes absolutely no sense?

squidyj

So you're saying you know?

I'm saying you don't and a lot of people who don't are acting like they do.

but you couldn't be bothered to respond to the statements that followed the identification of your saltiness. I may have called you salty but I didn't waste time and space to just call you salty with no content to it. I made a case for what it meant for your opinion to be salty, and why your salty opinion might not be actually be sound, based as it is, on salty assumptions. now you're upset about people calling you salty on the internet while adding nothing but salt to the conversation. Good Job, Salty Bob.

Perhaps you'd like to try again and suggest just why someone should privilege your reading of the tweet?

BlackJace

but you couldn't be bothered to respond to the statements that followed the identification of your saltiness. I may have called you salty but I didn't waste time and space to just call you salty with no content to it. I made a case for what it meant for your opinion to be salty, and why your salty opinion might not be actually be sound, based as it is, on salty assumptions. now you're upset about people calling you salty on the internet while adding nothing but salt to the conversation. Good Job, Salty Bob.

Perhaps you'd like to try again and suggest just why someone should privilege your reading of the tweet?

I'm sure I'm not as familiar with the Wii U hardware as any dev team that worked on it, but you don't have to jump through hoops to get an idea of why what he said was nothing more than an excuse.

So, power is the reason when a console widely perceived as close in power to the PS360 doesn't get a next gen engine that is also being ported to the PS360.

But those two consoles are exempt from the power rule because they have a large install base that would justify the cost....

Yes it is power issue, not enough powered consoles.

gngf123

What.

Despite what angry fanboys assert this seems like a bigger problem for Nintendo than EA.

I don't think anyone has suggested otherwise in this thread.

JordanN

Banned
For me, it was little things like believing Nintendo will give up on the Wii U in 3-4 years and that Sony and Microsoft will go 10 years without releasing next gen hardware.

Sorry for double post, btw.
Considering how long the PS3/360 last and how Sony pumped 8GB's of ram into their next gen console, I think 10 years is a fair assessment. The exception may be when 4k drops by and the hardware needed for it is strong.

Wii U lasting more than 4 years will look weird. With no third party, the console will be plagued by heavy droughts. Nintendo will have also released their major games by then so we're talking what? Mario Tennis HD and Mario Party 12 in 2016?

Also, don't forget they have to take care of the 3DS and its possible successor. Their teams could be very stretched.

No, no it isn't. It's return on investment. Opportunity cost isn't there to justify the port and associated engine op

Why didn't more third parties support it around launch? The likes of Dishonoured, Sleeping Dogs, Resident Evil 6 for example? Then you have Tomb Raider, MGS Rising, 2k Sports who have seen releases only a matter of months into the systems life cycle.

The PS4 and Next Xbox will have zero install base yet a lot of investment is going into bringing games to both. I still think Nintendo deserves stern criticism for this situation with third parties, I'm a fan of them since the 90s (SNES, N64 and even GameCube ) but this Wii U and it's situation does annoy me, it's the reason I criticise them a lot and not to intentionally piss off other fans.

I actually think the reason is they simply dont give a crap about the Wii U at this point. Like many other third parties. It's weak compared to the hardware they're moving to, and they know that their games sell better to people who prefer to play on PCs, PS, and Xbox. As I said earlier, they're cutting staff and reorganizing. Now's not the time to take chances on hardware that the world has pretty much collectively rejected already. I can't blame EA. Nor could I blame them if the Wii U suddenly takes off and they re-evaluate their position. EA is a business, not a charity.

prwxv3

Once more devs get to get a taste of the large RAM pools of PS4/Next Xbox that could negatively effect the WiiU when it comes to some games.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Are you playing dumb?

Ps4 & XB3 = 100gflops
WiiU = 15gflops

WiiU isn't a "GPU-centric" design, it just has an old, crappy CPU.

Come on, if the difference was nearly as big, it would have far more problems running multiplataform games than "drops framerate more often at some NPC heavy areas".

It sounds like an excuse. The truth is probably more along the lines of "We saw the Wii U sales and decided not to go down that path." Can't blame them though.

If the comment were said in any other context it wouldn't be considered salt; but because its Nintendo some people are trying to make it out to be something its not.

If people don't see a big gap between 'unprecedented partnership' and 'no Madden' then I'll leave that to them. But its frustrating seeing people making it out like theres not more going on here.
Joke made in Nintendo's "defense" salty any other company and it would have been called snappy and applauded by the same people referring to the tweeter as a fanboy
which he could very well be I haven't read his feed yet.

Basil

Banned
I take it this isn't the same twitter guy that was getting upset with Mark Rein after he laughed at the Wii U at GDC, is it?

Top Bottom