• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Hard...Normal is My New Jam

Jaraghan

I'm the opposite. I used to go normal in all games I played, but now recently I pick the hardest difficulty. And 9 times out of 10, it isn't that bad. The satisfaction I get from overcoming challenging areas of the game is fantastic. I also get bonus achievements.

To me, basically, when you're younger you get into the game more, a lot more of your mental faculties get invested, and you are more aware of the nuances of the game. You can comprehend what it takes to play on hard and you have the patience to do so. I'd argue the experience is more immersive, and more engaged.

When you're older your mind is full of ass and stress and Donald Trump, and you just can't give a shit anymore, and you're more concerned with making sure you didn't waste your money than having your mind blown (not even possible anymore) by a game, lol.

That's my negative take on it. And speaking of negative takes,

Cringeworthy thread title

Sincerely, grumpy old 29 yr gamer, used to be cal-i at cs 1.6 and recently picked 'normal' difficulty on Witcher 3, and questioned my existence. But at least I still play Doom on Hard, when I can be arsed to sit down and play /humbug

I always play games on normal because I tend to get bored of playing them for longer than 10 hours. If I pick harder difficulties, it will just end by me dying more often and then putting the game down half way through. I do make special exceptions for certain games. I like the Souls series and I've definitely died a lot in them but it's the type of challenge that I find exciting. The same goes for Starcraft 2 (campaign). I've played that game quite a bit both offline and online and there is a world of difference between my skill level as it stands now and when I started. Normal difficulty is just painfully boring in comparison to brutal. I took somebody's advice here to play Halo 5 on harder difficulty than normal and that was definitely a mistake. I did not enjoy dying all the time and being resurrected by my brain dead squad mates.

Top Bottom