• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FX orders "Legion" Pilot, produced by FOX and Marvel Television

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury451

Banned
Hopefully they got the Fantastic Four rights in full (since Fox clearly doesn't know what to do with them).

This is of course the best case scenario, but what's the actual likelihood of this? I find it hard to believe that Fox would part with the rights over a couple of television rights, despite their lack of competence in adapting it.

Neoxon

This is of course the best case scenario, but what's the actual likelihood of this? I find it hard to believe that Fox would part with the rights over a couple of television rights, despite their lack of competence in adapting it.
The IP is worthless under Fox now, so I doubt it's worth much now in Fox's hands.

G-Fex

A mutant run detective agency, it writes itself

background.jpg

Arent' these guys a bunch of assholes though? Then again marvels mutants all are.

Neoxon

Now that Marvel Studios isn't even under the Marvel umbrella, I doubt this deal has anything to do with movie rights.
It still somewhat is. Getting the F4 rights back means more characters that can be used on ABC & Netflix's MCU shows.

Fury451

Banned
The IP is worthless under Fox now, so I doubt it's worth much now in Fox's hands.

That's fine by me. What I really want in the MCU is what everyone does: Doom. But getting all of the other cosmic characters, plus the 4 themselves would be amazing.

Slayven

Arent' these guys a bunch of assholes though? Then again marvels mutants all are.

Well M is an asshole, but that seems to be genetic. The rest are nice, Wolvesbane did some sketchy shit with a young dude, and Multiple Man won't ever be elected father of the year. But other other then that they are pretty chill

That's fine by me. What I really want in the MCU is what everyone does: Doom. But getting all of the other cosmic characters, plus the 4 themselves would be amazing.

It pains me what we aren't getting in the MCU with the exclusion of the X-men and F4.

The fact that FOX can't get out of the 60s-80s in regards to storylines, even more so.

Disney/Marvel had to at the very least give up their X-Men rights. Disney owned the live action tv rights to X-Men, not Fox.

Big question is what did Disney get out of this deal? If anything.

Yeah, can't say I care much about the shows themselves so much as what Marvel might be getting out of this deal.

Sponge

Banned
Yeah, can't say I care much about the shows themselves so much as what Marvel might be getting out of this deal.

Same here. Marvel had to get something out of this deal. I can't see them doing this with Fox without them getting something in return.

Same here. Marvel had to get something out of this deal. I can't see them doing this with Fox without them getting something in return.

Mentioned this in the other thread but, Screerant seems to think there just might be a connection between this and to those three mysterious 2020 movie dates.

It's happening!

Sponge

Banned
Mentioned this in the other thread but, Screerant seems to think there just might be a connection between this and to those three mysterious 2020 movie dates.

It's happening!

Hmmm...Wonder if this had to do with that Inhumans cancelation rumor, too?

Lmo911

Disney/Marvel had to at the very least give up their X-Men rights. Disney owned the live action tv rights to X-Men, not Fox.

Big question is what did Disney get out of this deal? If anything.

Something Star Wars related? Doesn't Disney need Fox's approval anytime they want to distribute the original trilogy? I mean I'm sure Fox likes making money, but maybe something went down to make the whole process easier. Marvel wasn't going to touch the X-Men anyway without the movie rights, so wins all around.

Something Star Wars related? Doesn't Disney need Fox's approval anytime they want to distribute the original trilogy? I mean I'm sure Fox likes making money, but maybe something went down to make the whole process easier. Marvel wasn't going to touch the X-Men anyway without the movie rights, so wins all around.

Fox still has distribution for A New Hope, not the others

Slayven

This thread and the Black Bolt/Maximus clip you posted the other day made me realize that I want this, and I can't have it. Why do Fox and Marvel hate me?

And Johnny gets around, damn.

Is it me but isn't it dirty that Johnny moved from one sister to another? Inhuman thanksgiving going to be interesting.

Slayven

Ya think Johnny gets hairjobs?

You know they going to be like

Medusa:"Master of the 4 elements but can't keep a man"

Crystal:"Be careful Johnny, ALL of her hair is as strong as steel. Don't break your teeth"

Karnak:"Who wants to hear my mixtape?"

Slayven

Seems like Rachel Keller has been cast as the female lead for the show

http://deadline.com/2016/01/legion-marvel-pilot-rachel-keller-cast-fx-1201676226/

Hawley wrote the pilot and serves as an executive producer with the film franchise’s director/producer Singer, producer Lauren Shuler Donner, writer/producer Simon Kinberg as well as Marvel TV’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory, John Cameron and Steve Blackman.

I will need Bobbyroberts to decode this

Penguin

I will need Bobbyroberts to decode this
Well, we knew Marvel TV was involved with the production of this and Hellfire

It's not like they are hurting for money. It make more sense to either get some of their characters back or change the terms of the contract and, for example, put an expiration date on the movie rights.

Or... money

I mean they get a revenue source without having to do much leg work.

Similar to their Sony/Spider-man deal

Well, we knew Marvel TV was involved with the production of this and Hellfire

Or... money

I mean they get a revenue source without having to do much leg work.

Similar to their Sony/Spider-man deal

Gonna have to disagree with you.

They already get plenty of revenue source right now from FOX without lifting a finger from their XMen/FF movies. They are making bank on their movies/TV shows/Merchandising. They don't need an extra revenue stream when they could get rights to their characters or put an expiry date so they could eventually get them back. It would be an extremely short term strategy to give up the rights to a TV show to FOX for just a licensing fee. FOX owns movie rights to some of Marvel properties that they know they could make plenty of money on and would like them back.

Marvel offered FOX the option to extend the film rights to daredevil in exchange for FF/Galactus/Silver Surfer/Skrulls/Dr.Doom or probably a combination of the above. FOX declined. I think it's pretty obvious what Marvel wants and probably asked for

Marvel/Sony's deal is completely different. Disney bought the merchandising rights to Spidey in exchange for not getting a share of the movies in 2011. It's not like Marvel gave sony the rights to make ironman tv for royalty fees. They are getting Spidey showing up on MCU in exchange for creative ideas and possibly character cross overs into the next spiderman.

I just 100% disagree with you that Marvel/Disney would okay, not one, but two XMen TV rights to Fox for cash when Fox holds some very important Marvel movie rights. That would be extremely short term and, IMHO, stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom