• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Best and Worst TEKKEN

Is it weird that I lost interest in Tekken when it became a bigger budget game on the PS2 and lost the charm of those cheap little CG-cutscenes at the end of each character's story? Lol, my nostalgia goggles are fused to my face.

Best: 3 and anything after
Worst: 1 & 2. So damn sloooooow. You're on the floor for fuckin' eveeeeeeeer. You jump like you're on the goddamn moooooooon!

Is it weird that I lost interest in Tekken when it became a bigger budget game on the PS2 and lost the charm of those cheap little CG-cutscenes at the end of each character's story? Lol, my nostalgia goggles are fused to my face.
You want cheap looking cg? Look at many of the endings for Tag 2, Lars's and Lee's spring to mind.

For real tho, I get it. Late 90's/early 00' CG has its charm, Tekken 3 was my first game.

TT1 was my first PS2 game, so Im going to go with that. I disliked the Tekken series A LOT after that. Im not sure why. It just wasnt as fun.
That being said, I think TT2 is the best one. I just played it this year and I like that game a lot.

And honorable mention to Tekken 3. That was also a shitload of fun.

Zukuu

Banned
Best: Tekken 4 (followed by 5 then 3)
Worst: Tekken 6 by a huge decree. Turned the whole series to shit with dumb mechanisms and it still hasn't recovered.

Gameplay wise:
Best: Tekken Tag 2 & Tekken 5 DR
Worst: Tekken 4

however, when it comes to aesthetics, music, and overall vibe/atmosphere:
Best: TEKKEN 4 ALL DAY SON
runner up: Tekken 3

GorillaJu

Tekken 4 was great. It wasn't as mind-blowing as 3 or 5:DR, but it was still fantastic.

I'm gonna go ahead and say 5:DR is best and 6 is worst. 1 and 2 are old but were still incredible for their time.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Best: Tekken 6 (sans load times & netcode), Tag 2

Worst: 1, 4 (only in gameplay execution though. And maybe sound design. So much else about it is the best in the franchise. Story, character portrayal, costumes, somewhat more grounded theme)

Hell, I'll just do it this way. I'm going to count DR as a part of Tekken 5.

Best Gameplay: TTT2 > T6 > T5 > TTT > T3 > T4 > T2 > T1

Best Story: T4 > T5 > T6 > T3 > Irrelevant

Best New Characters: T3 > T2 > T1 > T5 = T4 > TTT

Best Music: TTT = T5 = T6 > T3 > T4 = TTT2 = T2 = T1

Best Theme/Design/...Vibe?: T4 > T5 > T6 > T3 > TTT = TTT2 > T2 > T1

Best Stages: T5 > T6 > TTT2 > T4 > T3 = TTT > T2 > T1

Best Extra Modes: T6 > T5 > T4 = T3 > TTT > TTT2 (never played the Wii U version)

Best Customization: T6 > TTT2 > T5

Solve for T

I have to give it to Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection. This is the only one I can go back to without it immediately feeling weird. It's pretty much Tekken 6, but without rage and bound. I have yet to play Tag 2 so I can't judge it.

The worst Tekken is Death by Degrees and the people saying 4 are buck crazy. This is legitimately a bad game.

My Best would be Tekken 5. Not sure what it is with that game, but i feel like i can do so much more than 4 with it.

Worst would have to be TTT1. Screw Eddy in that game seriously.

entremet

I have to give it to Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection. This is the only one I can go back to without it immediately feeling weird. It's pretty much Tekken 6, but without rage and bound. I have yet to play Tag 2 so I can't judge it.

The worst Tekken is Death by Degrees and the people saying 4 are buck crazy. This is legitimately a bad game.
Death by Degrees is not part of the main series. It's a spin off.

Creaking

From what I gather, 6 was a sour point for a lot of folks. I think mainly because of bound and rage.

At least it gave us Electric Fountain :)

6 has a lot of my absolute favorite things in the series. I love most of the soundtrack. It has what is the current best incarnation of customization. It had a solid and fun gameplay system. It had really good art design & lighting marred by low resolution and aliasing, it had some sweet (but too few) stages, and it had a huge roster. I didn't like Lars and Alisa or the story, but I thought the other new characters and scenario campaign were all right. The main downside to the game for me was how long it took everything to load. That was a hassle.

Best: System 12 Arcade Tekken 3 (also in PS2 Tekken 5 Arcade History)

R1TR0Zm.jpg
other than graphics why is system 12 tekken 3 the best?

Creaking

I believe Vita also has Tekken 6 too

Yeah, the PSP version should be available. Really good port, from what I've heard, and much closer to the series' most modern incarnation.

14036632397_276419d403_o.jpg

Doesn't look much worse than MK on vita. Arguably looks better than Injustice.

213372bu

Banned
Tekken 4 was probably the best for anything but gameplay. Music, announcer, story, aesthetic, vibe, changing things up at the time. It was everything I wanted from a fighting game at the moment in time. And just for that, it deserves a spot at the tops. It really was a product of its era.

Tekken 6 is arguably the best only for gameplay.

TT2 is the best overall of course.

Tekken 1/2 don't really have any strengths in this regard.

Tekken 3 is good, but I can't say it had anything that it was the "best" at over other games. It's like pretty good overall though and definitely a classic.

Dragun619

Tekken 3 was the shit. Every thing after just slowly dropped interest from me.

Until maybe Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and I was diggin it. I will also say I loved Dragunov's addition to the series. Dude's has become one of my mains.

For the weakest, not sure. Kinda forgotten how 4 and 5 went, but T5 dark resurrection hella felt like a weak entry on PS3.

Creaking

Tekken 4 was probably the best for anything but gameplay. Music, announcer, story, aesthetic, vibe, changing things up at the time. It was everything I wanted from a fighting game at the moment in time. And just for that, it deserves a spot at the tops. It really was a product of its era.

Tekken 6 is arguably the best only for gameplay.

TT2 is the best overall of course.

Tekken 1/2 don't really have any strengths in this regard.

Tekken 3 is good, but I can't say it had anything that it was the "best" at over other games. It's like pretty good overall though and definitely a classic.

And I guess 5 doesn't exist.

BroBot

Best Tekken: Tekken 2 (It's probably the music that makes me put this one above the other Tekken games.)

Worst Tekken: Tekken Advance for the Gameboy Advance.

Fractapixels

Neo Member
When I was younger I always thought Tekken 2 was the best. After revisiting it recently I'd have to say I no longer think that. I also thought Tekken 4 wasn't all that great due to such a small roster.

Tekken 5 or Tag Team 1 are probably my faves.

Degen

Well the worst objectively was either T1 or Advance, but it's not really fair to compare those with the rest of the series

TTT2 is probably gonna be the favorite for a lot of dedicated fans, but it's so deep that I actually lost the patience to learn it

I think Tekken 5 came the closest to getting everything right. Talking about core gameplay alone, Dark Resurrection is at the top because of the enhancements, but neither the PS3 nor PSP versions of DR have the cool extras that the PS2 game had

We're seeing over and over again that anything major added to the gameplay after that point was bound to be super gimmicky and rage-inducing... (add invincible moves pun)

Zalman

Tag 2 is the best. The series' popularity peaked with 3, but it's far from the best one.

The Wii U version of Tag 2 is especially great since it has exclusive modes like Tekken Ball.

Can we at least admit Tekken 4 had the best aesthetic? Fighting in a garage, at the mall in the ring. None of this crazy shit and it introduced my main man Steve. Music was off the chain too.

Tekken 4 holds a special place in my heart.

MikeMyers

Can we at least admit Tekken 4 had the best aesthetic? Fighting in a garage, at the mall in the ring. None of this crazy shit and it introduced my main man Steve. Music was off the chain too.

I'd say 2 had the best art direction and music.

But I do think 4 is better than its reputation leads one to believe.

Pachinko

I've never liked this series much but even I didn't think Tekken 4 worked very well. I wish they'd make actual stages again though, that was one thing T4 did right. Never been a fan of the infinity plane fighting arenas with floating back drops, it just looks weird.

Make a game that has Tekkens fighting engine and stages like DOA2/3/4 please.

The entry I played the most was probably Tekken 3 though so I guess it wins.

DEATH™

Best: Tag 2
Honorable Mention: Tag 1, DR

Bad: T4 (although the art direction was great, we still end up playing Tag 1 more).

Prediction: people will see how great Tag 2 is when T7 comes out and becomes mad salty because of the things they blamed Tag 2 for...

Top Bottom