• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Best and Worst TEKKEN

genjiZERO

TTT and T3 are probably the best. The gameplay was superb there were a good number of characters... There was still a bit of imbalance (I've always thought it was cheap that some characters have counters and other don't), but great nonetheless. Although, I hate 3 because it introduced Eddy.

I don't really have a worst. Honestly I've enjoyed them all, but I think in the newer games there are too many gimicky characters and the character designs have gotten worse over the years.

Never played 1,4 or 5 so I can't comment on those, but I'd put Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament as the best and Tekken Revolution (that F2P mess on PS3) as the worst.

Two Words

Best: Tekken 6 (sans load times & netcode), Tag 2

Worst: 1, 4 (only in gameplay execution though. And maybe sound design. So much else about it is the best in the franchise. Story, character portrayal, costumes, somewhat more grounded theme)

Hell, I'll just do it this way. I'm going to count DR as a part of Tekken 5.

Best Gameplay: TTT2 > T6 > T5 > TTT > T3 > T4 > T2 > T1

Best Story: T4 > T5 > T6 > T3 > Irrelevant

Best New Characters: T3 > T2 > T1 > T5 = T4 > TTT

Best Music: TTT = T5 = T6 > T3 > T4 = TTT2 = T2 = T1

Best Theme/Design/...Vibe?: T4 > T5 > T6 > T3 > TTT = TTT2 > T2 > T1

Best Stages: T5 > T6 > TTT2 > T4 > T3 = TTT > T2 > T1

Best Extra Modes: T6 > T5 > T4 = T3 > TTT > TTT2 (never played the Wii U version)

Best Customization: T6 > TTT2 > T5

Solve for T
No best Yoshimitsu design ranking?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I agree with Itagaki's list myself.

21039236766_7452543fe7_o.png

I've never played a Tekken game, I just find this funny

People hate Tekken 4?

I love Tekken 4.
Yep. Series has been in a downward spiral since Tekken 5 as far as I'm concerned. Just adding shit that no one but a Tekken vet would even notice. I guess T7 fixed that with supers, but...I don't know if that's the direction to go. Guess I'll wait for release before I judge it, but it holds zero interest right now.

TTT2 is my own favourite.

Really struggle to see what the series can do to keep me interested after the amount of characters in that.

sasuke_91

Sorry for asking but......

Why the huge dislike for 4? Really Interested.

T4 had several issues. The one that stands out the most would be the horrible balancing with Jin Kazama having the most broken move in Tekken history.
Other than that there's also the change in movement with the nerf'd backdash. The uneven stages where you suddenly run into an object (I really liked the stages though) and other stuff.
All in all Namco tried a lot of new stuff, but not everything worked so well. I would have liked a new Tekken similar to T4 in which they correct those issues, but that most likely won't happen.

Yep. Series has been in a downward spiral since Tekken 5 as far as I'm concerned. Just adding shit that no one but a Tekken vet would even notice. I guess T7 fixed that with supers, but...I don't know if that's the direction to go. Guess I'll wait for release before I judge it, but it holds zero interest right now.

Wait, the bound system in T6 would be something only a Tekken vet will notice? The tag system in TTT2 would be something only a Tekken vet will notice? You must be kidding.

k30

Neo Member
Best Tekkens: Tekken Tag 1 and Tekken 5: DR.

Worst: Tekken 4 and Tekken Tag 2. (The only two that have made me want to quit tekken)

Tekken 1 gets a pass for being the first and it was cool at the time. Tekken 7 is still too new, but I like playing it so far.

PaypayTR

Banned
Best Tekken 3 easily perfect game. Still lols me even T7 use some of animations from TK3

Worst is probably TEK6 ( but i dont want to count 1-2) and TK4

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
For all the folks who list Tekken 6 as the worst, have any of you said why? I think I'm the only one in the thread who listed it as one of the best.

I know it isn't beloved, but I'm a little bit shocked at how many folks consider it to be the downright worst game in the series.

massoluk

Banned
I have a special place in my heart for Tekken Tag. <3

I have a special place in my heart for Tekken 4, fuck that piece of crap.

For all the folks who list Tekken 6 as the worst, have any of you said why? I think I'm the only one in the thread who listed it as one of the best.

I know it isn't beloved, but I'm a little bit shocked at how many folks consider it to be the downright worst game in the series.

The Tekken 6 port is the worst Tekken port in franchise history. The netcode is so bad. The port is ugly as hell to boot.

Bloomers

While it's certainly not my worst Tekken, T6 seemed to steer competitive playstyles completely towards air-juggling and bounding, which can be overly punishing and annoying to sit through.
The console game also had long load times, few new character designs, had an ok-at-best bonus mode (should just brought Tekken ball/bowl back), and had short less-than interesting endings for a lot of the characters.

Still a great game, but it had a lot to live up to as the next gen leap from T5.

ajb1888

Banned
Actually really like Tekken 6. I haven't played it as much as Tag 2, but imo it has aged well. Played some today, and still found online matches.
Azazel sucks, but the bosses are the worst part of Tekken anyway lol.

6 gave us Zafina and Electric Fountain <3

What's your worst mainline game, though?

I enjoyed your post, but it doesn't answer the OP completely. That's all.

Mainline 1, but still Death by Degrees is definitely the worst and if not, probably one of the mobile tie-ins.

Tekken 1: Was my introduction. Wackiest characters for a fighting game. I haven't touched this in years so I can't comment a lot about it much like 2

Tekken 2: Slightly better

Tekken 3: The most improved so far with almost an entirely new cast, faster, included alt game modes, Tekken Force Mode and Tekken Ball. Best Yoshimitsu design. Why you think Capcom chose this one out of all to represent him in Street Fighter X Tekken?

Tekken Advance: WTF is this shit with horrible controls and only ten characters? Even the first Tekken had more characters than this.

Tekken Tag Tournament: Huge roster with almost every character in it. Players had to focus on tagging out members and could not let one member fall. Had Tekken Bowl which was a lot of fun.

Tekken 4: Massive change with a smaller roster, but dope designs, walled stages, and beautiful stages at that. Tekken Force mode wasn't as fun this time around.

Death by Degrees: Oh cool a Nina Williams spy-action game. Oh, the camera is shit, the controls are weird with attacks being initiated through the analog sticks and it's also mundanely simplistic, you won't need to learn anything other than the basics to beat most enemies. Weapons deal so little damage considering how long they last that there's no point in using them.

Tekken 5: Biggest roster yet in the mainline games going to the extreme opposite of 4 and now we can customize characters. Gameplay felt a bit slower than 4 if I remember properly, and was a bit more juggle heavy, but not as nearly as it was going to become. It also came packaged with the arcade versions of all the previous mainline games. Devil Within was kind of ass and I sort of liked the vertical shooter demo at the beginning. Jinpachi was a cheap boss. Half the time you got a perfect, but the other half he'd get a perfect on you for stopping your attacks anytime he wanted to and hitting you with a fireball that took half your life. A small gripe, but still a great game.

Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection: Four new characters, more customization, no alt game modes unfortunately other than the standard survival and time attack.

Tekken 6: Even bigger roster than 5's. Introduced bound and rage. I had no qualms with either of these two mechanics. Juggling enemies was a lot of fun for me and rage never felt like it really mattered to me considering it only activates when the opponent is near death and in which case I can just knock them out with a small combo if one hit doesn't do it. When I have it and I win it wasn't due to rage, but to my opponent giving me opportunities to low parry or launch and juggle. Scenario campaign seemed fun at first and the opening scene had me hoping for a good story, but unfortunately the gameplay was mediocre only beating out Devil Within, and the story turned out to be as bad as ever.

Tekken Revolution: Only played this for about two weeks, but I found liking it more than Tekken 6 because the removal of rage and bound was refreshing after playing 6 for so long. The new counter properties added to certain moves was also fun to utilize. I did not like the rpg elements however which didn't put players on equal footing.

Tekken Tag 2: I only played a little bit, so I can't comment on it.

Overall from what I played, the only bad games are Death by Degrees and Advance. Not a single bad game in the main franchise. Other franchises can't say the same.

Manbig

Best: Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Worst: Any Tekken game that has Bob, Alisa, and Lars in it. Yes, I am saying that they are worse than Tekken 4.

Degen

I feel some might say they haven't been experimental enough. I dont personally mind the same characters, or that many Tekkens play similar (they're great fun) but I could understand that some want something that feels entirely fresh and different.
They definitely play it too safe for a lot of people

But then you see all the hate for T4 and it's no wonder that's the case

Shun

Worst : TTT2(Bloated,frustrating gameplay),Tekken 1, 2(outdated)

Worst: Tekken 4 and Tekken Tag 2. (The only two that have made me want to quit tekken)

Really? Tekken Tag Tournament 2 the worst? Probably the most balanced in the series and in 3D games?

Like explain how TTT2 gameplay is bloated and frustrating when it gives the entire game depth and options and viability.

Are you just not fond of the bound and juggle system? Is tagging and tag crashing too hard? Keeping track of rage too hard? Too many matchups?

The upper echelons of the metagame may be unattainable for a vast majority of us but even at lower levels of competitive gameplay this game is fun and pretty easy to get into.

If anything this game kept it fresh.

devjin

Can we at least admit Tekken 4 had the best aesthetic? Fighting in a garage, at the mall in the ring. None of this crazy shit and it introduced my main man Steve. Music was off the chain too.

Tekken 4 holds a special place in my heart.

You mean 'Dean Earwicker'?!

Edit - For those wondering why Namco changed Steve's name in Tek4 -
Steve's character was originally given the name Dean Earwicker. This was changed after a substantial amount of negative feedback from the Tekken community.

Best Tekken: Tekken 5 DR
Worst Tekken: The original. It's pretty bad, actually.

EDIT - I loved Tekken 2 back in the day. It was light-years ahead of Tekken 1, which seemed like an ugly demo in comparison.

Like I said earlier, they're most likely scrubs. There is absolutely no way you can legitametly claim Tekken 6BR is the worst Tekken.

I think the real hate for Tekken 6 comes from the fact that it was the first real Tekken with online & the general public got to see how Tekken was really played & discovered they sucked at Tekken the whole time.

They blame the game for their losses, say bound is cheap or whatever yet ignore all of the ridiculous BS in all the old Tekken games cause no one ever beat their ass with the cheap stuff growing up.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You mean 'Dean Earwicker'?!

Edit - For those wondering why Namco changed Steve's name in Tek4 -

And before that his name was going to be "Shrek"

Like I said earlier, they're most likely scrubs. There is absolutely no way you can legitametly claim Tekken 6BR is the worst Tekken.

I think the real hate for Tekken 6 comes from the fact that it was the first real Tekken with online & the general public got to see how Tekken was really played & discovered they sucked at Tekken the whole time.

They blame the game for their losses, say bound is cheap or whatever yet ignore all of the ridiculous BS in all the old Tekken games cause no one ever beat their ass with the cheap stuff growing up.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but hey maybe I just came at the game the right way. I only learned to play fighting games with Tekken 5 DR: O. So I knew that I blew at the game early on. I learned a bit there, and then I started following Tekken 6. Watched some combo things before release, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect when the game finally came out.

The weird thing about Tekken is how general gaming community for the majority of the series' life had no idea how to play it. There are still people that believe Tekken needs to go back to a time where jugglng wasn't a big part of the game....but it ALWAYS WAS.

6 years ago people were saying Tekken was a button masher & lack depth & now people are like "This game is way too deep & complex" Yet the core fundimentals of the game has been the same all this time.

What change then? Simply the distrabution of information became better. The internet grew, youtube let peopl watch high level match footage, & in general it was much easier to find the correct information about how to play the games. Add to that the age of online gaming & Boom perception change.

ajb1888

Banned

Before online, there were plenty of arcades (and older cousins) around to help people discover they suck at Tekken :p

Online netcode is probly the fairest criticism of 6 though.
Its a great game in my book.

Top Bottom