• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread (READ THE RULES)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rez said:
if time is the issue, I have a lot of free-time this year. I'd be happy to take over the reins and do it the old-school way.
Finally, someone puts their money where their mouth is.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not going to userp timetokill's thread. The ball is totally in his park, I'm just putting that out there.

Ashes

Banned
yeah... seems disrespectful to timetokill... we can't just go to the old system... personally I just won't vote in that thread out of protest really...
We have to just help timetokill add a little more balance...

Ashodin

Gilgamesh said:
That's not what we're saying. We've clearly explained why we feel this system is broken. I appreciate that he experimented, but it failed big time. It needs to be reverted to the old system or get taken back to the drawing board.
I don't know if you've been reading the thread, but it already has. He is changing the weight system, allowing more games. And as I've explained before, it's a very small minority of people in this thread that dislike the system. A lot of people are just posting their votes and don't care.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate timetokill taking the initiative and setting this all up, trying something new. I just think it is flawed in its current form. I still think 3 points is too much, and 2 would be best, but its his thread and his rules, so I'll go along with whatever he ends up choosing. He wants to streamline the experience, and I can't fault him for that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
DeadGzuz said:
True, but that says more about UC2, the year was very good IMO.

Without resulting to pointing fingers at "fanboys", this system diminishes the value of all the games lower then the GOTY and to a lesser extent, the games below second and third. I think it encourages people not to list ten games because they want to give ____ and ___ 5 points each to increase the chances of winning GOTY. I do not see this as fairly displaying GAF's overall opinion on all the titles this year because considering the breadth of games that have been released, many will not be voted for because of this system. I am not going to drop the eight other games I've played this year just to make my votes for Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2 have the same value as someone who posts just those two games exclusively. I think your system, to be frank, is complete rubbish and I will be opting out to vote unless it is changed.

Ashes

Banned
it seems to be a small minority who are praising the new system truth be told... but then again I'm no mind reader... :)

Sysgen

Maxrpg said:
I don't know if you've been reading the thread, but it already has. He is changing the weight system, allowing more games. And as I've explained before, it's a very small minority of people in this thread that dislike the system. A lot of people are just posting their votes and don't care.

Just curious. How do you allow more games when people are only posting 2. ..and what are you his lawyer?

Gilgamesh

Maxrpg said:
No, it hasn't been taken back to the drawing board. It's had a minor revision that still hasn't totally fixed the core issue of the weighting.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Fifa 10 - 2
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2
Torchlight - 2
IL-2 Birds of Prey - 2

Didn't get around to playing too many games that came out this year.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pyke Presco said:
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate timetokill taking the initiative and setting this all up, trying something new. I just think it is flawed in its current form. I still think 3 points is too much, and 2 would be best, but its his thread and his rules, so I'll go along with whatever he ends up choosing. He wants to streamline the experience, and I can't fault him for that.
As I already said, I agree completely. A three points cap still wouldn't fix the problem, unless you can only give three points to ONE game.

Ashodin

Sysgen said:
Just curious. How do you allow more games when people are only posting 2. ..and what are you his lawyer?
If they are weighted 3 points each, you have at least four games that can get nominated. But you could also list five games at 2 points each, and still get a respectable list. People are just ANGRAY at not having a top 10 list of games. His system is different.

And no, I'm defending his choice of system because I believe in the simplicity of it, and I like it.

vermadas

Demon's Souls - 4
Trials HD - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1
Red Faction Guerilla - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1

Bigfoot

Maxrpg said:
If they are weighted 3 points each, you have at least four games that can get nominated. But you could also list five games at 2 points each, and still get a respectable list. People are just ANGRAY at not having a top 10 list of games. His system is different.

And no, I'm defending his choice of system because I believe in the simplicity of it, and I like it.
You can still list 10 games, each weighted 1, can't you? (Goes back and reads the rules).

I think this system is fine but I'm going to wait until the dust settles before voting.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
5 - Brutal Legend
1 - Plants vs. Zombies
1 - NHL 10
1 - Wii Sports Resort
1 - Imagine: Babyz Fashion

Ten-Song

Yeah, I don't like this system much. There's more than two games I enjoyed this year, but it seems like I'd have to completely undercut those other games just to prop up anything I feel is game of the year worthy, and listing a bunch of games at one point each would make it seem like my votes don't mean shit.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Porthos said:
You can still list 10 games, each weighted 1, can't you? (Goes back and reads the rules).

I think this system is fine but I'm going to wait until the dust settles before voting.
Yes, but you would waste your points since poster B can come and give two games 5 points each, thus rendering your votes (and those of four more posters that voted 10 games like you) useless, all by himself.
His opinion on those two games would be worth five times yours. This is why I say a three points cap wouldn't fix the problem, it would still be unbalanced. Unless, as I said, only one game can get three points and the others you list one or two.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
timetokill said:
As far as the rest of the criticism:

I'm very hesitant to redo the thread. I wouldn't mind as much as it would cause confusion, and I prefer this format. I won't be changing it to last year's formula, if that's what you're asking.

I totally get your concern that only the big-name games will be getting recognition. I understand. My only change, then, and one I had considered would be to keep the 10 point total and limit the top scores to 3 points, thus requring a few more games to be listed (to get to 10) and the one remaining point more likely to be given to a lower-profile game.

I want to avoid situations of people just listing out every game they played this year. I think it should be a list of your TOP games. Awarding a game 1 point should be noteworthy.

If you guys really want to change it up to that change then I am willing to do so, since it's so early in the voting, and if you guys won't mind. If we do so I will make a new thread to avoid confusion.
You should have done it this way from the start, it's kinda late now.

Ashodin

Porthos said:

You can, but most people are working on the THEORY that people will just keep listing two games at 5 each just to make them win. Which some people could be guilty of, but a lot of people would break down the list (yours included) to include games they really liked. The original system at 5 is a little broken, at 3 points each is much better. I COULD put three games at 3 points each, but I could put one game at 3, three at 2, and one at 1 to let people know I liked X more than Y. It's the simpleness and smallness of the list that bothers people.

Struct09

Jocchan said:
Yes, but you would waste your points since poster B can come and give two games 5 points each, thus rendering your votes (and those of four more posters that voted 10 games like you) useless, all by himself.
His opinion on those two games would be worth five times yours.

Yeah, that's my problem with this system. There's not much reason for me to list more than 2 or 3 games, otherwise my #1 could be worth the same as someone's #10.

cuyahoga said:
5 - Brutal Legend
1 - Plants vs. Zombies
1 - NHL 10
1 - Wii Sports Resort
1 - Imagine: Babyz Fashion

:lol :lol :lol

[yes, I'm aware of the epic dudbro thread]

Also, could we do a dual-style voting this year, with the old system along the new one? It could be quite interesting comparing the results, that would be inevitably different to an extent? If Rez is willing to do the old system, why not?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Porthos said:
This oversimplifies the list though. I'd imagine people didn't like ten games equally this year, even if they really loved a few games this year they don't have enough points to list them and distinguish which ones are really at the top tier.

Also, I don't know why we run these Game of the Year things so early. I still have at least three games I need to run through that I'm just getting around to with Christmas Break.

Ashodin

Dance In My Blood said:
This oversimplifies the list though. I'd imagine people didn't like ten games equally this year, even if they really loved a few games this year they don't have enough points to list them and distinguish which ones are really at the top tier.

Also, I don't know why we run these Game of the Year things so early. I still have at least three games I need to run through that I'm just getting around to with Christmas Break.
There is a deadline, you can come back and vote when you are sure.

ZZMitch

Rez said:
if time is the issue, I have a lot of free-time this year. I'd be happy to take over the reins and do it the old-school way.

Do it, make your own thread... we should have two just to see how the numbers differ...

1. Assassin's Creed 2 : 3 points.
    A beautiful, vibrant, Renaissance Italy to free roam around with the best free running and climbing mechanics out there. Add in some loving polish, tons of game elements and missions, and a story out of a fever dream, and you have my game of the year, hands down. Take notes sequel makers! This is another example of how you do it right.

2. Borderlands : 2 points.
    Diablo with guns in a free roam, co-op environment. Great art style and humor make this game a pleasure to wander around and blow stuff up in. Now keep up the good work Gearbox!

3. Modern Warfare 2 : 2 points.
    Obscene hype, the 'No Russian level' and multiplayer glitches aside this game is still a fucking marvel. Silky smooth 60fps with flawless controls allow an intensity to combat that never lets up, whether you're playing through the over-the-top campaign, or grinding the millions of different ladders of XP and unlocks in the multiplayer. I've bitched plenty about the game's balance problems and over-sensitivity to connection speed, but truth be told, I have yet to boot the game up and not have a great time. Spec Ops is just icing on this amazing cake. Give it up haters, there's a reason Modern Warfare is the standard in FPS shooters. Actually, several reasons.
    And, this right here was my favorite 3 minutes in gaming this year. Best. Chaingun. Ever.

4. Killzone 2 : 1 point.
    Gorgeous. Hardcore controls that you either love or hate. Bots. Beautiful animation and lighting, with damn intense set piece battles. I couldn't get enough. Lack of party functionality and a weird server browser keeps this one from more points in my book.

5. Shadow Complex : 1 point.
    We need more games with this kind of philosophy. Old school game elements, with some modern innovations. Well worth the money and accolades.

6. Need for Speed: Shift : 1 point.
    The best damn cockpit view ever put in a driving game. This is the first of the more simmy racing games where I could feel the dynamics of my car and the road. There are so many subtle effects to make the illusion work, and they should be studied by devs for use in other games, whether you're making a flight or mech sim, or even if you're in a cybernetic soldier-suit saving the world from aliens.

inFAMOUS - 2
Demon's Souls - 2
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time - 2
Uncharted 2 - 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom