• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2010 - Voting Thread - VOTING CONCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Australia (PAL), but I imported Kirby's Epic Yarn and Okamiden from Japan.

1. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; Where do I even begin? I have been hyped for this game since I was 14 years old, but never got a chance to play it until now, ten years after the fact, in remade form.

Is this the perfect Pokemon game? Well, no, not really. There were a few quibbles that marred the experience somewhat (lack of support for modern WiFi encription schemes like WPA and the esoteric bullshit you had to do in the Safari Zone come to mind), but the feeling it gave me while playing was something else.

I felt like a kid again, encountering "new" Pokemon for the first time, exploring Johto, seeing how Kanto had changed in my absense and using these unfamiliar 'mons in conjunction with my old favourites. I got seriously into breeding and IV/EV trained a Bronzong some kind GAFer had traded me. This game had me hooked for the better part of five months.

2. Kirby's Epic Yarn ; (Import - I'm from Australia) Beautiful, simply beautiful. Yes, it's easy if you just want to beat the level, but searching the environment for bits of furniture, collecting all the beads you can and stringing bosses along so you can collect enough beads to gain access to the "secret" levels is a lot of fun.

One of the best parts of the game, apart from the visual style, is the music. You can pop this baby in and just feel your cares and worries melt away. On some of the levels it's relaxing and jazzy, on others, it's epic and inspiring, others still, it's so chirpy that you can't help but smile. Incredible game.

3. Okamiden ; (Import - I'm from Australia) It's an Okami sequel on the DS. Need I say more? Now, I haven't played the Wii version, but being able to simply use brush techniques on the fly without even thinking about it rather than having to wrestle with the analog sticks on the PS2 was a dream come true.

The game isn't quite as epic as the original, a lot of areas from the first game are artlessly blocked off and occasionally the story makes no damn sense (I don't speak Japanese, so working out what's going on in the cutscenes is something of a challenge, as are some of the missions you're given). The cutscenes also feel excruciatingly long since I can't read all the exposition they're trying to cram into them. Having said that, it retains the magic, feel, fast combat and brushplay of the original.

4. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth ; The first in what is now a line of spinoffs of the mainline AA series, this game has a lot to offer - witty writing, charming characters, clever puzzles, nostalgia-inducing cameos and hilarious animations. Somehow though, it misses something crucial from the mainline series - tension.

Unfortunately, without the classic AA courtroom scenes (or some analog of them), this game can really only be classified as "good" rather than "great". At no point were the characters in any danger, which meant that the resolution of various cases didn't quite feel as satisfying as they used to.

5. Darksiders ; It's a Zelda-like mashup with God of War. This is a good game that, while not pushing any boundaries, manages to retain its own feel. At no point did I see War as Link on steroids or Kratos in armour.

This game is a little rough around the edges, especially when it comes to padding out gameplay (throwing horde after horde of enemies at you, for instance), but it's a lot of fun searching the environment for treasure and upgrading your abilities with Vulgrim.

6. Fruit Ninja ; It's a fun, quirky title that you can play while waiting for the bus or for your girlfriend to come out of the bathroom. It's pretty simple, so I won't say too much about it, but there's something so very satisfying about slicing up a pineapple and hearing the squelch as the juices spill out.

7. Angry Birds ; This game is so hilarious. Catapaulting exploding birds at structures seemingly made from dominoes, seeing them topple and marvelling in their mutual destruction is a joy that only a 3-year old knocking down a lego house can feel.

1. Apple Jack ; I had no idea that when I was playing Super Mario Galaxy, I'd be so, so distracted by a one dollar Xbox LIVE Indie Game, to the point where I could literally play nothing else until I was done with it. It's easily my game of the year, for the amount of fun I got from it, and for the price:fun ratio I don't see how anything can even hope to compete. The 2D platformer came from nowhere and just hooked me. There are 100 levels, puzzles, perfect, perfect controls and a really funny story running through it that sees you travel across the English countryside looking for your dog. Enemies are killed by picking them up and throwing them into other enemies, and this introduces a combo system whereby if you then kill more enemies quickly, coins spew out (twice as many each time) until the screen is literally covered in them. It is ridiculously satisfying. I'm also massively proud to be one of the only people that will have completed the game before it was patched to make it a bit easier. I am hardcore, man! It was my GOTY the second I loaded it, I reckon
2. Hypership Out Of Control ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Super Meat Boy ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Resonance of Fate ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. LIMBO ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Loopop Cube: Lup Salad ★ PSP ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Darksiders ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Pix 'n Love Rush ; Your thoughts on Game J.
x. Rock Band 3 ; It's weird. I was about to put this in my top ten and then I though "what is it I'm actually voting for it for? Most of the enjoyment I get from this is due to the DLC and exported tracks I already had, and I didn't buy the keyboard because Harmonix have totally fucked up the DLC for it. If I've bought stuff, I don't want to buy it again, ya get me? Yet undoubtedly it's the best Rock Band game ever, and I've had hours (and will have hours, weeks, months worth of time more) of fun with it. I still can't put it in my top ten, though.

Have voted for an import game (Loopop) so will note that I'm in the UK. Will edit my list fr thoughts when I'm not on an iPhone!

zoku88

1. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; To me, DQ9 is like taking Dragon Quest partially back to its roots. I must wonder, then, why it is that I like it is much. I started DQIII back earlier last year when the new translation patch was released. I didn't get very far in it, though. Something about it didn't really jibe well with me. DQ9, which reminds me so much of III, caught me right away. The combat wasn't quite as slow as DQ8, which was quite a good thing. And the main quest was about as long as 4 and 5. All in all, it may have just been that it stuck with a pretty much proven formula and retained the much noted DQ charm to it.
2. Civilization 5 ; I don't think anyone will be surprised that this is one of the top games of the year. Civilization seems to be one of those series that isn't content with merely improving the formula with each new iteration, but have a need to almost completely change the game and this newest one is of no exception. Civ V feels almost completely different from its predecessor. It feels like, however, that most of the complaints stem from the fact that it is NOT Civ IV. I find that a shame, as while diplomacy was worse in the newer game, combat was much much improved.
3. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey ; Here's another game that is returning to its roots. Unlike Nocturne, which, I'm told, is vastly different from its predecessors, Strange Journey returns to the 1st person, dungeon crawling days of yore. It also returns to the conflict between Law and Chaos. Nothing much to say here, it's solid.
4. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse ; Telltale games are the reason I've recently become enamored with point and clicks. Sam and Max was my first point and click series. Of course, the newest iteration would make it on the list. Despite my few calms (the movement being more suited for consoles than PCs, it seemed) it is still mainly the same series we all know and love. Nice music, updated graphics engine, witty humour. I had so much fun playing this games, I beat each game within a day of release.
5. Ys Seven ; This is my first Ys game so I can't compare it to the others. Unlike every other game on this list with stories, the story here pretty much sucks. But I, strangely, don't care. Gameplay is the main attraction for this game (and, I assume, for the rest of the series.) Bosses in this game are nice and challenging, but don't seem unfair. Just the way I like it.
6. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth ; This game may be one of the weakest of the Ace Attorney series, but who is kidding? None of them are bad games in the first place and this is no exception.
7. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale ; These types of games seem to be getting more popular. Spend half of your time exploring dungeons and spend the other half doing some other seemingly unrelated activity. For Persona, it's going to school. For Recettear, it's running a shop. It's surprisingly addictive.
8. Football Manager 2011 ; I'll be honest, I haven't played that much of this, only about 20 or so hours. I did, however played about 200 hours of 2010 since May. 2011 is pretty similar to 2010 in gameplay. It includes some nice improvements to negotiations and match preparation, which are nice.
9. Resonance of Fate ; I haven't really played that much of this either. Not enough to get to the main story yet, anyway. However, the gameplay is pretty good. It actually makes you think, which is rare for RPGs. I'm looking forward to the time where I can continue playing this again.
10. Victoria 2 ; This game released in a real messed up state. The economic model made it hard for your nation to have the necessary factories and made capitalists build factories that your nation couldn't sustain nor needed. Thankfully, with the 1.2 patch, most of the economic woes were fixed, living us with a pretty good 19/20th century simulator.
x. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love ; We've all waited so long for this series. It's a shame that it was this one that got localized first. Not a bad game in any way, but somewhat... underwhelming. Hopefully other titles will get localized.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
The following people on the second page need to fix their posts: Vamphuntr, WinFonda, Mooreberg, brandonh83, bluedeviltron, Chriswok, GeoramA, Sadist, Kaako and KAOS.

I'm only scanning the pages quickly, so there could be more.

zoku88

DennisK4 said:
Thanks, I will change it.
It's a shame, games released in December get shafted because not enough people have played them by the time these threads show up :lol

It would be nice if, for the purpose of this thread, 2010 ended in November or something and the year started in Dec 2009 :lol
GhaleonQ said:
zoku, even in Europe/Oceania (says Wikipedia) Muramasa was in 2009.
Tch, serious? :lol It was on that big list and I just picked from that. I will change to something else.

Ataturk

1. Mass Effect 2 ; Much improved combat and a more polished game. The episodic format worked extremely well with interesting storylines and characters. Excellent DLC too.
2. Red Dead Redemption ; Fantastically detailed world, packed with relatable characters and terrific voice acting and soundtrack.
3. Bayonetta ; It has its flaws, such as the story, but the combat is so far above anything else I've ever played. They do a great job encouraging you to keep playing with unlocks and NG+ too.
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Genius level design and probably the best platformer I've ever played. Perhaps it's a case of diminishing returns which keeps this game this far down. It didn't feel as fresh or surprising as the games above.
5. Super Meat Boy ; Challenging but not frustrating, such an addicting game, with a great soundtrack and a raft of unlocks to keep you playing. A great mix of old and new school game design.
6. Just Cause 2 ; It's basically just "Blowing Shit Up- The Game™", but it works. The grappling hook is what elevates it far above it's predecessor, giving you so many options. And the story missions are surprisingly varied.
7. Vanquish ; Platinum established themselves as the kings of the action genre this year. The rocket sliding and slo-mo mechanics work really well. The game also looks great and has a good few jaw-dropping moments. The less said about the story, though, the better.
8. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction ; Yes it was dumbed down, but I enjoyed the more aggressive approach you were encouraged to take. The coop campaign was a lot of fun too.
9. Alan Wake ; Yeah, it wasn't perfect, by any means. The combat was too samey and the story went too crazy by the end. There were some really memorable moments in it though and the way they told the story was interesting.
10. VVVVVV ; Fantastic soundtrack along with very tight platforming.

x. The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom ; Charming puzzle platformer with a jaunty soundtrack, unique aesthetic and clever puzzle design.
x. Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent ; Clever and funny writing along with a cool look. Though the actual puzzles were so-so.
x. Skate 3 ; Pretty much more of the same, but there were some good additions to the gameplay this time around.

GhaleonQ

zoku88 said:
It's a shame, games released in December get shafted because not enough people have played them by the time these threads show up :lol

It would be nice if, for the purpose of this thread, 2010 ended in November or something and the year started in Dec 2009 :lol

Tch, serious? :lol It was on that big list and I just picked from that. I will change to something else.

1. Indeed. Poor Game Arts in 2009.
2. No problem.

ZeroGravity

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
3. Donkey Kong Country Returns
4. Metroid: Other M
5. Transformers: War for Cybertron
6. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
7. Kirby's Epic Yarn
8. Hydro Thunder Hurricane
9. Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
10. Mega Man 10

That was basically the extent of new games that I played this year, excluding obvious garbage I would never nominate anyway like Sonic 4.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
StuBurns said:
RDR is going to be first by a significant margin at this rate.

It would be well deserved. I had to think really hard between that and Mass Effect 2, the decision was far from easy :(

V_Ben

Banned
1. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

This one really stood out to me as the perfect example of what an adventure game should be. Funny, creatively designed, and above all an absolute joy to play. I can't recommend it enough.

The rest...
2. Rock Band 3
3. God of War: Ghost of Sparta
4. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: Lechuck's revenge
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. God of War 3
7. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game
8. Joe Danger
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
10. Darksiders

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
brandonh83 said:
Fixed mine.

Same as yours.

I'm glad people are paying attention to this thread. It's easier than sending a private message. I'll keep listing people once every page in hopes of them seeing it and correcting. Tomorrow I will keep a running tally for the pages today, and then continue that until the end.

Shurs

V_Ben said:
1. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

This one really stood out to me as the perfect example of what an adventure game should be. Funny, creatively designed, and above all an absolute joy to play. I can't recommend it enough.

Telltale understands the importance of setups and payoffs; both in humor and in puzzles.

Empty

1. Vanquish ; i thought nothing this year would top my second choice when i played it, but i wasn't expecting shinji mikami to jump into generation with such a bang. a very inventive and masterfully constructed action shooter that takes the gears of war formula and turns it on its head by simply adding a few new moves and a game design based around that; you might not think that a booster and bullet time modes would do that, yet the amount of player creativity the new mechanics allow for is large with the big levels giving you the freedom to play your way. most importantly though it just feels good to play, and i'm not just talking about the lovely controls. while playing it i kept sitting there grinning hugely at how fucking awesome the game makes me feel as i did stuff like glide towards cover, switch to the shotgun, go into slowmo as i slide past it, and turning around sending two guys flying with the force of the shot, before flicking out of slowmo and rolling into cover ready to stylishly dispatch the next group. it's just so damn cool in motion, feeling like a stylish action game yet doing so with the ease of play of a third person shooter, and the adrenaline rush you get is amazing. the limitations on the suit force you to always be pushing yourself to get the most out of it, mixes the flow and is a clever risk reward system that underpins the entire game. those simple yet brilliant mechanics and pitch perfect controls make it arcade perfection and the meat in the game is not in the short single player but replaying the really well made stages - from intense large warzones to exhilarating set pieces to ingenuous boss battles 0 that are there to improve and get higher scores. a real joy in a genre i thought i wasn't hugely into anymore.
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; the space theme is really the ultimate canvass for the hugely talented team at EAD tokyo, allowing them to realize whatever clever level design ideas they might have and for each level to contain multiple different ideas without feeling disconnected, and once again they have no lack of those ideas and make great use of them. the amount of creativity in every level is outstanding, mario controls beautifully, it's a visual treat, the soundtrack is spectacular and it's delightfully charming and adorable. as it's essence it's just pure un-adulterated fun. i'm really just re-iterating what i said about galaxy 1 back in 2007, but it's because this game does just continue exactlywhere that game lets off. given how high quality it was, how it so clearly wasn't wanting for inspiration and how difficult it is for the theme to get old given that they can use it to create nearly whatever the want, that's really no problem. though with galaxy 2 it can't replicate the same feeling that you got when you first jumped on a planet and whizzed all the way round it, it's also free from the difficulty curve of the first game meaning you get top tier levels straight out of the gate, and the new menu system for selecting levels is sweet. a joy to play, nintendo at the very top of their game.
3. Mass Effect 2 ; i can spend a while mocking the story problems in this game, but i adored my time with it. the focus is no longer on the forward thrust of the main narrative, but on the characters and i loved the pace as i moved from lovingly created alien world to alien world recruiting these people, getting to know more about the civilizations and the lives of the characters i wanted for my team. that the improved combat mechanics made it a much more fun game to play in the action sequences, i was engaged with the combat right till the finale, and the dialogue system was as breezily entertaining as ever. cutting out the rubbish bits instead of improving them may have hurt the rpg experience, but it certainly made it a more entertaining game moment to moment. polished, pretty and damned entertaining sci-fi episodic drama followup to the thrilling movie of the first game.
4. Gran Turismo 5 ; there is a special event in this game where you have to drive the nurburgring in a mercedes cl300 coupe. it's a beautiful car, you are driving a stunning track and you are driving at a thrilling speed; it's classic gran turismo action. the game breaks the track down into four manageable quadrants and sets you a time to get to the end of each one. it's just you and the car versus the road, you trying to get the most out of it, hit the best line, constantly experimenting, constantly improving, noting the various braking marks, discovering the nuances of the track and car, all in stretching for the gold. maybe you don't get it, i certainly didn't that often, but the game is doing three things a) it's entertaining the hell out of you b) it's giving you a genuine sense of progression as you improve and c) it's teaching you the track. by the time you race the full thing you know the car and the entire track inside out, and for ten or so minutes it's absolute perfection. the driving model in this game is so good, the great tracks so fun to drive, the car selection giving you so much freedom, the range of content so large, i don't want to even talk about the myriad of issues with it, and they are significant and disappointing, i just want to reflect on the good stuff as that's what will stay with me. a baffling yet lovingly created 'ode to the automobile' that balances frustration with pure bliss, but not in even doses.
5. Game Dev Story ; a game where the concept topples the execution. the simulation isn't anywhere as deep as i'd like, the lack of end game stuff irritating, the controls cumbersome, some of the game logic bizarre, but just being able to role play running a game company is so compelling to someone with my interests that i don't really care and can't avoid being sucked in. it helps that the game is light, fun to play, full of positive feedback systems and gives you enough tools to make the illusion work, sure, but it's just being able to set up and slowly develop my own art house studio with ambitions of being a team ico style developer making the games i want to, as well as shamelessly bobby kotick sequelise with another studio to see how that works that gives me a lot of pleasure and keeps me sucked in. if it was about plumbing companies i wouldn't care at all. a ridiculously addictive game industry sim that's made exactly for the person who spends too much time on gaf.

Redbeard

Banned
1. Red Dead Redemption ; Perhaps superior to the GTA4 series and took me by complete surprise with its well crafted western world, great script and supporting cast of characters, and memorable ending. The gameplay is not perfect, much like GTA4, but the sum of its parts makes up for its inadequacies.

2. God of War 3 ; God of War gameplay perfected. Vast improvements to the combat make it incredibly satisfying to kill enemies and this cements itself as the best action game on any platform by far. Visually the game is just insane to look at, from Kratos' character model to the immensity of the boss battles you engage in, to the great use of depth of field and motion blur. Held back only by having to close up the series and its lack of a cohesive adventure with a far too gloomy setting. Nothing impressed me as much this year from an audio/visual standpoint as God of War 3.

3. Gran Turismo 5 ; Racing perfected. Sure, not all the content is 'premium', but honestly, who cares? With roughly 200 premium car models, there's no reason to even use any standard cars most of the time. What's important here is that Polyphony Digital delivered on something much more important that previously I did not believe they would deliver on - The Driving Model. It stands up to the best PC racing sims and greatly exceeds anything before it on a console, and delivers much more impressive graphics with spectacular lighting.

4. Halo Reach ; the single player is a big disappointment. Bad characters, short, poorly written and graphically it's nothing impressive, but what truly hooked me about this game was the multiplayer gameplay. It's fantastic. Pretty close to the best FPS multiplayer shooter I've played in years and the changes bungie has made by adding loadouts has definitely made the series even more engaging. There are some balance issues, particularly with loadouts like Armor lock that I'm not a big fan of, but overall nothing this year comes close. Halo Reach is shooter of the year.

5. Heavy Rain ; Much like Red Dead Redemption, the end experience is what impressed me most about this game even if it doesn't have the best 'gameplay'. The story is gripping, well written and acted, but unfortunately due to some twists at the end doesn't live up to its potential in that area. The visuals are fantastic and it has one of the best soundtracks this year. Perfectly fits the mood of the game and I'm hoping that David Cage is working on yet another 'different' project of this sort and learns from the shortcomings of Heavy Rain.

6. Sports Champions ; Not a big fan of the whole 'mini-game' / 'party game' titles, but this is actually the best I've ever played and is more directed towards hardcore fans than casuals. Each event is immensely deep and requires a great level of precision, skill, and timing. It's much more than your typical waggle/gesture based gameplay featured in most of these titles. The 1:1 detection of motion in Table Tennis is almost surreal when you take all of the assists off and start playing on higher difficulties. Instead of trying to waggle my way to victory, you actually have to use far more discretion in the way you position and time your shots. No other motion game comes close, honestly. The progression system is also quite deep compared to most games of the genre. Was not expecting to have nearly as much fun with this title as I ended up having.

7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; The Galaxy games are always fun, even if they're not what I prefer in a 3D mario game. Not much of a fan of the tight, space orb romping as much as I am of the classical Mario 64 / Banjo Kazooie formula, but the game is so well produced that you can't help but love it.

8. 3D Dot Game Heroes ; What can I say? I'm a sucker for retro Zelda games, and this title nails it. Spectacular art style, world design, and a soundtrack that makes you all giddy with nostalgia.

9. Limbo ; Probably my arcade game of the year. Very atmospheric, and they took fairly basic mechanics and still managed to surprise me with the puzzles they introduced.

10. MLB 10: The Show ; They never make a bad one. Best professional sports game out there every year, imo.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
1. Monster Hunter 3: Tri ; Challenging and skill-based. A really great hunter-gatherer game.
2. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 – Chaos Rising ; Even more of my favourite RTS around. The Campaign is an improvement, but more importantly Chaos are a great addition to the multiplayer.
3. Blur ; Secretly the best racer (especially in kart-racing) since CTR. It doesn't matter if you are first or last it is just fun to drive.
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Fun and creative. It suffers a bit from lacking the purity of NSMB Wii (inherent to its 2d nature) and from being a sequel.
5. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; Charming and coop. Love it.
6. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; It's my favourite Pokemon polished to an incredible level of shine.
7. Picross 3D ; Amazing puzzler

V_Ben

Banned
Shurs said:
Telltale understands the importance of setups and payoffs; both in humor and in puzzles.

Aye. The fact that they go to so much trouble to make the puzzle solutions feel completely natural, and not arbitrary helps the game stand out so much more in my mind. I never felt whilst playing the game that I was missing something. It was all so intelligently put together.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
4. Halo: Reach
5. Just Cause 2
6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
7. Super Meat Boy

My back log this year has gotten out of control. I own but haven't played or have just scratched the surface of Fallout New Vegas, Just Cause 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Gran Tourismo 5, along with a lot of smaller titles.

AniHawk

StuBurns said:
RDR is going to be first by a significant margin at this rate.

GOTY THREAD SPOILER:

It's ahead of SMG2 by a good amount, but it's actually second to Mass Effect 2 right now. Mass Effect 2, at this point, would be GAF's GoTY 2010.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
1. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
2. Ys Seven
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
5. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
6. Fallout: New Vegas
7. Civilization 5
8. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
9. Touhou 12.8 The Great Fairy Wars

I know there's another 8 games at least that should be on there, but I haven't gotten to playing them yet. :lol (Looking at you Ys: Felghana)
and Demon's Souls, and VC, and JC 2, and gosh.

Shurs

V_Ben said:
Aye. The fact that they go to so much trouble to make the puzzle solutions feel completely natural, and not arbitrary helps the game stand out so much more in my mind. I never felt whilst playing the game that I was missing something. It was all so intelligently put together.

Yep.

Playing the episodes, I got the overwhelming feeling that this was a game made by people who "get it."

StuBurns

Banned
AniHawk said:
GOTY THREAD SPOILER:

It's ahead of SMG2 by a good amount, but it's actually second to Mass Effect 2 right now. Mass Effect 2, at this point, would be GAF's GoTY 2010.
That's impressive. Are you calculating based on the model put forward in the rules thread or just eye balling it?

1. Alan Wake
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Fallout: New Vegas
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
6. Halo: Reach
7. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
8. Dead Rising 2
9. StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty
10. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

spats

1. Gran Turismo 5
2. God of War 3
3. Heavy Rain
4. Nier
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Darksiders
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Sports Champions
9. Dead Nation
10. 3D Dot Game Heroes

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Bayonetta
4. Heavy Rain
5. God of War 3
6. Limbo
7. Dead Rising 2
8. Vanquish
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
10. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Can I just say that 2010 for me has been the best year of gaming yet!

The amount of classic, AAA games that came out this year is fantastic!

Corto

1. Gran Turismo 5 ; I was afraid that the release shenanigans would stale my experience with the game. But as soon as I putted the disk in my PS3 all was forgotten and forgiven. It's not a perfect game, far from it. It has several flaws, some of them inexplicable. But even those seem somewhat "familiar" and expected... almost charming! :D It still has the capacity to put me in a state of repeating over and over a simple challenge just to reach the gold, and when I get it I then realize that 2-3 hours have passed without me even noticing it. The driving feeling is unique, and I'm expecting some of the wrinkles to be iron out with posterior patches.

2. God of War 3 ; Pure fun. Splendorous graphics with the streamlined controls that are the hallmark of the series that were perfected in this iteration. It had though some pacing problems in the end game that prevented me to put it on my #1 spot.

3. Vanquish ; The purest game that I played this year. Challenging, fast and crazy. When the player reaches the "zone" it becomes an hypersensory experience where the mechanics of the game instead of limiting the player give him enough freedom to tackle the enemies the way he fits more efficient and spectacular. The player never gives up the control, it can be more cinematic than other games that try to be so by taking the player's control... if the player knows what he's doing.

4. R.U.S.E. ; It almost didn't entered my choices as I wasn't planning to buy it yet. So glad that I did though! It's a refreshing take on the RTS genre, with some great ideas on the control scheme inplementation on consoles. The Move implementation is flawless and to a first effort with a new control system was very surprising to me that they "got it" almost perfected. Some of the effects (like the zooming in-out from the war board to the war scenario) and the interface were fantastic. Gameplay wise it introduced some original new mechanics that I wish Eugen Systems has the opportunity to refine in a future game.

5. Joe Danger ; A great little game that I dare anyone that plays it to do so with a straight face! A riot of laughs, and a perfect game to play with others, with the spectators rooting for the player to fail in the most spectacular and hilarious ways. Good times!

6. God of War: Ghost of Sparta ; And Ready at Dawn did it again! This portable game can rival with some of the console titles of the series in spectacle and appeal. The efforts to unveil some of the back story of Kratos were much appreciated but the brutal and streamlined combat it's the main characteristic of the series and its main appeal. And it's even more refined here with some new weapons introduced to Kratos weaponry. To me, the highlight of the PSP this year.

7. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Great side step from the mainline Tomb Raider! So refreshing and new to the series the isometric view and the co-op emphasis! In what could have been risky choices but that really paid off in the end. It was a title that I just come back again and again even to just replay one of the levels with a friend. Great fun!

8. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat ; Never thought this game would be so enticing... Even while playing it on my puny laptop with the lowest settings on and sometimes struggling with performance issues that hinder the gameplay it transpires what gem it really is! It was really unforgiving to me at the beginning but it really is paying off now that I understand how I need to "tackle it". It is as near as a video game can be to a survival simulator, and I love it for this.

9. Desktop Dungeons ; Never played a roguelike before this one, and I have to thank NeoGAF for bringing this to my attention. Great game with very simple mechanics but that will change so dramatically every time I start a new dungeon that gives it almost infinite replayability value. And on top of that each dungeon takes just a few minutes to finish what makes it the best game to just burn 10-15 minutes with some rogue dungeon roaming. It was my gateway to the genre... and I'm thankful for that, because otherwise I would never give my time and attention to these games.

10. Yakuza 3 ; Love the setting, the characters, and the mundane mini games and quests. The change of scenario at the beginning with the orphanage and the children was surprisingly welcomed as I was expecting more of the bad assery, crime underworld brutality. But in the end it gave the game a dose of charm that was refreshing. The bad assery is still there though... :D

Honorable mentions:

X. Heavy Rain
X. 3D Dot Game Heroes
X. Cladun: This is an RPG
X. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
X. Darksiders
X. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
X. Infinite Space
X. Half-Minute Hero (PAL)
X. Persona 3 Portable
X. Valkyria Chronicles 2

1. Transformers: War for Cybertron - This years Arkham Asylum. Absolute fantastic game built on a licensed franchise that managed to surpass my expectations.
2. Bayonetta - Action genre has just been revived. Testosterone need not apply.
3. Dance Central - The evolution of dancing games. FINALLY!
4. Sonic Colors - Sonic's back!
5. Metroid: Other M - A great compliment to an old-school design.
6. Final Fantasy 13 - Fantastic story telling.
7. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - A puzzling and smart isometric game that deserves more credit for its risk.
8. Pacman Championship Edition - Old school meets new school fun.
9. Super Street Fighter 4 - A retooled fighter that felt as fresh as a sequel at half the price.
10. Sonic and Sega All Star Racing - Surprising fun from some cult classic franchises.

Honorable Mention

Halo Reach - A rushed, but decent send off to an aging game and engine. Too many problems with the convoluted, over wordy single-player story and messy multiplayer to make the list but worth noting as a good game.

Vindictus - Really fun F2P MMO built on the Source engine. It's a little too straightfoward soemtimes, but a great game overall.

AniHawk

StuBurns said:
That's impressive. Are you calculating based on the model put forward in the rules thread or just eye balling it?

the model. and i just did the first 100 posts as a "glance" using the system i used from 2004-2008 and me2's lead was even bigger. it's at least close right now.

i haven't seen anything like this since mgs3 won in 2004. people voted for it as their goty, sure, but more people had it in second, third, or fourth place, voting for halo 2, half-life 2, and san andreas as their number one instead.

also, i think rdr will eventually gain the lead and keep it. it was just surprising to see at the moment.

EDIT: actually, I think it has it right now by about 3 points.

Falt

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Halo: Reach
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
5. Alan Wake
6. Limbo
7. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
8. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
9. Minecraft

So many games still in shrink wrap. Fallout: New Vegas, Final Fantasy XIII and Bayonetta left untouched. My pile of shame stops me from posting a tenth!

1. Spiderman Shattered Dimensions ; My favorite Spiderman game period. The whole thing is nonstop fan service with tons of abilities to upgrade, funny dialogue, fantastic level design that incorporates each villain, and the cool noir/2099 levels.

2. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood ; Brotherhood is everything I liked about AC2 just better. The ability to call assassins, tons of stuff to unlock, Romulus challenges, a more streamlined combat system, and a better conclusion to Ezio's story.

3. James Bond Blood Stone ; Probably my favorite Bond game yet. The chase sequences were great, I loved the integration of the stealth, and it was filled with great Bond moments.

4. God of War 3 ; The Poseidon fight, the Hercules fight, the Hades fight. The whole game is one visually amazing encounter after the next.

5. Red Dead Redemption ; What GTA4 should have been. I really liked Marston as a character, and the world was so rich and fun to explore, but the last act overstayed it's welcome.

6. Singularity; What Bioshock should have been. I loved the combat. Nothing like aging soldiers to dust or watching them explode with a high powered sniper rifle.

7. Mafia 2 ; Fantastic story with solid gameplay. And another visually amazing lived in city brought to life.

8. Medal of Honor ; A solid reboot with a more realistic story and some great moments like the last stand in the hut and helicopter raid mission.

9. Bad Company 2 ; A mediocre campaign with a great multiplayer experience. Amazing sound design.

10. Dark Void ; I love the Rocketeer and this gave me the ability to fly around and shoot aliens all while listening to Bear McCreary's fantastic score.

Honorable mentions.

Enslaved - I loved navigating the world but the combat just wasn't that fun.
Transformers - Finally a decent Transformers game in a long time but the games shooting got old about halfway through.
Heavy Rain

Biggest Disappointments.

Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2 - A short game with a convoluted unfinished story, stiff controls, glitches, and repetitive combat.
Alan Wake - Just downright boring and a chore to play.

acevans2

1. God of War 3
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Heavy Rain
4. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
5. Vanquish
6. 3D Dot Gamer Heroes
7. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
8. Angry Birds
9. Medal of Honor
10. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Kevtones

1. Deadly Premonition; in a year with no classics, this was the most memorable
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns; absolutely fantastic platformer
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2; great sequel
4. Goldeneye 007; startingly good across the board
5. Monster Hunter 3: Tri; loved every minute of it
6. Mass Effect II; better than the first but it was missing something
7. Red Dead Redemption; Highly enjoyable and highly aggravating
8. Sin & Punishment 2; Star Successor; sex
9. SMT: Strange Journey; this could shoot up but I'm only 10 hours in
10. Super Meat Boy; fuck this great game

Ros8105

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Alan Wake
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Halo: Reach
6. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Heavy Rain
8. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
9. God of War 3
10. Fable 3

StuBurns

Banned
AniHawk said:
the model. and i just did the first 100 posts as a "glance" using the system i used from 2004-2008 and me2's lead was even bigger. it's at least close right now.
I've not played ME2 so I can't say if I'm happy with it winning, surprising though as ME didn't win, and everyone I've spoken to prefers the first one. In fact, SMG won that year, and everyone I've spoken to seems to prefer the second one.

brb

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Heavy Rain
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. God of War 3
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
7. Bayonetta
8. Super Meat Boy
9. Fallout: New Vegas
10. Cave Story

1. Nier
2. Super Street Fighter 4
3. Bayonetta
4. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
5. Red Dead Redemption
6. Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
7. Halo: Reach
8. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair
9. Mass Effect 2
10. Final Fantasy 13

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
timetokill, you should add links in the OP or summarize winners of previous years. Would just be a nice touch.

I'm inclined to think RDR would win. Game seems to have a huge, dedicated following. I still don't understand the appeal even after everyone saying how amazing it is in this thread. But GAF will speak through votes.

Kind of weird seeing the lack of Minecraft in posts though, really expected it to be up there.

McNum

1. Super Street Fighter 4 ; It's Street Fighter refined. SF4 was good, Super is better. With a ton of new and old characters, decent online play, and more Ryus than you can shake an arcade stick at, it's my favorite game of 2010. I even bought and modded an arcade stick just for this game. It's definitely my personal game of the year.
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; It's Super Mario Galaxy, the sequel. Galaxy was awesome, and so is this. Mario controls as sharply as ever, but be warned: Galaxy 2 is a lot tougher than the original. But you've got Yoshi along to help.
3. Mass Effect 2 ; Got it off the Steam Sale, played it for pretty much two days straight. I could say more about how it's a good shooter and a fair RPG with a well written story, but I won't. It's better than the sum of its parts, even if I consider the UI a downgrade from ME1.
4. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver ; It's Pokémon, and it's pretty good. Gold and Silver were already huge games, and the remakes are even bigger. The PokéWalker accessory is a nice idea, too. But to be totally honest, I got so I could get a legit Mew. *hugs Mew*
5. Civilization 5 ; Evil game. Don't play it. It will consume your soul and free time. Now all together in that zombie-like moan: "Just one more turn..."
6. City of Heroes: Going Rogue ; Allowing heroes to become villains and villains to become heroes was a long awaited feature of the City of games, and with a new starting area and a reworked endgame, Going Rogue is a good MMO expansion.
7. Sonic Colors ; It's good. It's also a modern Sonic game. The platforming is decent, the powerups well made, and the cutscenes are even pretty fun. It's a good, modern Sonic game. It's about time.
8. Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor ; *pewpewpewpewpew* It's Sin and Punishment as it was meant to play. Enemies everywhere, awesome boss fights, and a stupid story. But a lot of pretty explosions. Exactly as a railshooter should be.
9. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale ; Cute, charming, cute, fun, cute, surprisingly challenging, cute, and with a great localization. Did I mention it's cute? Well, it's also cute.
10. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars ; A weird Japanese thing that actually plays pretty well. A good fighting game for the Wii, with a good online play system as well. I still don't recognize over half the cast, though, but that's part of the fun. TvC made me a versus fan, so I'm awaiting MvC3 now, and for that it deserves the final slot.

Honorable mentions:
x. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 ; Sonic 4 is what I'd call a "nice try". It's a throwback to a classic style of Sonic but it messes up here and there. It could have been good, but it's only decent. So nice try, Sega.
x. Final Fantasy 13 ; Another nice try. There was a lot of good intentions and ideas in Final Fantasy 13, but in the end, the game just falls flat. Awesome visuals, though, and it needs to mentioned for that.
x. Fallout: New Vegas ; It was my favorite western RPG this year, then Mass Effect 2 pretty much took over in less than a week and pushed Fallout off the top ten. Fallout NV is good, though, and if you like the post-apocalyptic setting of the Fallouts, it's worth checking out.

StuBurns

Banned
enzo_gt said:
timetokill, you should add links in the OP or summarize winners of previous years. Would just be a nice touch.
04 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28336
05 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76566
06 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135933
07 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222830
08 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347324
09 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384655

Here they are

'04 - MGS3
'05 - RE4
'06 - Zelda: TP
'07 - Super Mario Galaxy
'08 - MGS4
'09 - Uncharted 2

EDIT: MGS3 beating HL2 is fucking ridiculous.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
3. Super Meat Boy
4. Fluidity
5. The Misadventures of P.B Winterbottom
6. Bit.Trip Runner
7. A Shadow's Tale (PAL) ; (Import. I'm from the US)
8. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
9. Ivy the Kiwi ; (Wii version)
10. Metroid: Other M
x. Monster Hunter 3: Tri ; I just picked it up recently - I'm really impressed with the game's quality so far but I haven't been able to put as much time into it as I'd like so I decided to bump it from my list.

seady

There seems to be a theme to my top 3 games this year:
Plot and character development that - both gameplay-wise and story-wise - took me through a roller coaster ride.

1. Red Dead Redemption ; It was a hard choice between this and Mass Effect 2. But I ultimately chose RDR because of the reasons below. I played the previous GTA games, but always get bored of it 1/3 of the way because the driving and shooting were more of a chore than fun. In GTAs there were practically nothing to do between your destinations. But in RDR, there was a ton of things to do and to encounter in the world and there was no need to dodge cars and avoid annoying police (and this actually make sense in this setting!). The characters also felt more personal as they are something that I could relate to. Even the horse felt more personal and attached as they were usually with me for a long time - unlike those cars that get crashed every 5 minutes in GTA so I could hardly care about them. The whole experience was very personal and I was totally absorbed into John Marston's life and his universe.

2. Mass Effect 2 ; The character development (both backstory and gameplay) in this game was phenomenal. Not only Shepard, not only your 10+ team members, not only your enemies, even the random NPCs off the street had unique story of their own. It rivals the amazing cast of characters from Final Fantasy VI. Too bad 90% of the story was about recruiting team members and solve their problems, while the central story dragged on until the very end. If the core story was as strong as the side story of these other characters, this would be the best game story ever. At the moment, I can't help but feel this is just a build-up (that done amazingly) for the grand finale in Mass Effect 3. Hopefully I can put ME3 proudly as my GOTY for 2011.

3. Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies ; Even though the game was very light hearted, I was surprised by how bold the story sometimes when touching on the subject of life and death. Of course it was not theoretically deep, but the game was not afraid to make you think about that subject in a light hearted way. This would not be possible had the story and characters not interesting enough for me to care. The gameplay was very simple and I wish it has online, but the story and the vast character customization made me really care about my team of adventurers. I have not seen a game with such huge amount of charm and personality in a long time.

4. Halo: Reach ; I was not a fan of Halo but this game brought me in. Fantastic campaign with memorable story and characters. Multiplayer modes have way much strategy in them than your typical boring & dumb FPS (*looking at CoD).

5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Platformer at its finest. Super Mario Galaxy was my GOTY 2007 and while this doesn't have as much impact on me, it is still a fantastic game. I miss the story of the first game, but the stages as much more creative in this one.

6. Super Meat Boy ; Can really tell the polish in this game. Everything is so well pixel-perfect and calculated, and the control is probably one of the smoothest ever in a platformer. Music and graphics are also creatively fantastic.

7. Dead Rising 2 ; My GOTY 2006 once again hook me in. Like SMG2 above, the sequel doesn't have as much impact on me as the original, but the game is still super fun to play. Story is good, characters are likable, gameplay is diverse and hilariously fun.

9. Monster Hunter 3: Tri ; Finally got onto the MonHun bandwagon. The vast amount of items and their combinations are very hard to grasp. The gameplay is a bit clunky and slow. But once you get it, it clicks. Super fun in multiplayer.

8. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ; I thought I would dislike this MGS for having a more mission based structure. But it actually works here and the missions tie together very well. The stealth gameplay is more streamlined and the camera is much improved for easier reading of the surrounding environments.

10. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ; Just like MonHun 3 above, this game is addicting in multiplayer co-op. The puzzles are very clever and the action is smooth and fun. The best co-op action adventure game I played in a long time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors ; Captivating story and characters but I have not finished the game yet.
x. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon ; Amazing atmosphere and music. Gameplay not so much.
x. Alan Wake ; Great setup (atmosphere, world, characters, story), horrible execution (gameplay).
x. Heavy Rain ; See a pattern here? All these games have great story and characters, but the gameplay doesn't break any ground.
x. Minecraft ; I really love the creativity in this game and would put it very high on my top 10 list, but I don't consider it as a full game yet so I decided to take it off the list until it is complete.
x. Super Scribblenauts ; Million times better than the original game and what it was suppose to be.
x. Dead Rising 2: Case Zero ; why is this stand-alone game isn't in the nomination when DLC Undead Nightmare is?

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Halo: Reach
4. Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
5. Mafia 2
6. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
7. Heavy Rain
8. Limbo
9. Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
10. God of War 3
x. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
x. Call of Duty: Black Ops