• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

I know Hires bumps the Quest mixtape alot, but fuuuuck is it good. Please listen to it cause I think it was/is my favorite mixtape of a while. And I've had the thing for a while too.

IrishNinja

Threi said:
+1 for TSOL love, currently my album of the year
TSOL.jpg

#2 of course is The Roots - How I got over
The-Roots-How-I-Got-Over-Album-Cover.jpg

and #3 is Distant Relatives
DistantRelatives.jpg

nice. Wu-Massacre, Big Boi, Reflection Eternal, and we're still due that GZA one later, yeah? such a badass year for hip-hop.

ps mad props to Toku for that banner in the OP, wish i had that issue...so much quality in there.
its taking me a conscious effort to not jack that shit and use it on my own forums :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Whoever recommended the Albert Anastasia EP from Rick Ross, THANK YOU!

I am loving most of it, a couple of duds though. The track with Kool G Rap is probably my favorite so far. I would assume most of these trackd didn't make Teflon Don for one reason or another.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Net_Wrecker said:
NOICE. Relaxing feel to this tape.

Yeah my GF and I listened to it last night, and we both loved the chill feel we got from The Pursuit. Definitely a thumbs up from us!

Grzi

dskillzhtown said:
Whoever recommended the Albert Anastasia EP from Rick Ross, THANK YOU!

I am loving most of it, a couple of duds though. The track with Kool G Rap is probably my favorite so far. I would assume most of these trackd didn't make Teflon Don for one reason or another.

Listen to Teflon Don, if you haven't already. It's pretty fucking great.

Three tracks from Albert Anastasia EP are on the album: Super High, MC Hammer (with a Gucci Mane verse added) and Blowin Money Fast.

Sunako said:
I have a question regarding an Adult Swim bump.

I have no idea what song it is, but it has a repeating piano in it. It's one of the newer bumps (from the past few months), so if any of you could help me find it, I'd be very grateful.

Here's the best place to look.

They always update the site with new AdultSwim bumps and hunt down what song was playing. Without any other clue I can't search for it myself, but unless it's a text only bump you shouldn't have a hard time finding it if they put it up on the site.

HiResDes

Some fantastic new drops:

Gilbere Forte’ – 87 Dreams (Mixtape)

87dreamsfrontcover.jpg

DL LINK

-As the title implies the mixtape is on some chill surreal type shit...It is essentially dream-hop, similarly to how dreampop is just a dreamier version of pop.

And Laws released a no-dj/deluxe version to a classic mixtape of his with a couple of bonus tracks

Laws – 5:01 Overtime (Mixtape)

501front.jpg

DL LINK

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
HiResDes said:
Check out the Illz:

The Illz - The Pursuit

4fwfw8.png

DL LINK

Honestly there are plenty of rappers that don't fall into predictable topic cycles that have already been listed.

I just noticed this was posted, I highly recommend people DL this, its an absolutely fantastic album. Brilliant production, and a very talented rapper with something interesting to say. Really really really good.

dvdjamm

I just DL this and it's OK,but I wish Green Lantern would put out Presidential Invasion...That mixtape has unreleased songs by Jay-Z including Dead Presidents III...But for some reason,it's not out

cover.jpg

dskillzhtown

MickD said:
That Laws cd is great.. ya'll need to get it.

I'll check it out. I really like Justice League work on Rick Ross' CD.

I actually like the Green Latern/Jay-Z mixtape. Listened to it yesterday.

Chorazin

MickD said:
That Laws cd is great.. ya'll need to get it.

I heard a cut from that when he was one Shady 45's afternoon show on Sirius the other day. I'll download it when I get home for sure!

Slizz

Messi said:
How was luda's newest album?
Below average.

Damn I haven't posted once up until now in this new thread.....

No new music since this new thread that I've been feelin either...

dskillzhtown said:
I'll check it out. I really like Justice League work on Rick Ross' CD.

Same here. Their stuff is so lush and organic; I'm guessing they do the instrumentation or something. I'd love to hear Ghost and/or Rae over their stuff

I'm listening to Currency's Pilot Talk and the production is great. Seems like it revived Ski Beatz' career. Currency isn't a great rapper but does well on many of the tracks. Definitely digging this

here's a list of who's in heavy rotation in my world along with an album/mixtape of their's to check out:

Chiddy Bang - The Swelly Express
Diamond District - In The Ruff
Granite State - The REpublic
Nero - Alive & Vibrant
P.So (formerly known as Picasso) - Earthtones
Reks - In Between The Lines
Sha Stimuli - Overtime: My Soul To Keep
Shad - TSOL
Skyzoo - The Power of Words
Tanya Morgan - Brooklynati
The Roots - How I Got By
TreaZon - Breathe Life 2
Lupe Fiasco - Enemy of the State
Naledge (of Kidz In The Hall) - Chicago Picasso
Omen - Delayed
XV - Recycle Bin
Big Pooh - The Delightful Bars
Jay Electronica - Victory
Laws - 5:01 Overtime
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
QuEST - How Thoughful
Blu - Below The Heavens
KIDA - The Endemic

Linkhero1

I'm listening to XV right now and I'm really digging him. Only mixtape I have is Everybody's Nobody. Which of his other mixtapes should I check out?

HiResDes

Linkhero1 said:
I'm listening to XV right now and I'm really digging him. Only mixtape I have is Everybody's Nobody. Which of his other mixtapes should I check out?
They are all posted above you in some fashion, there are only three of them so far, eat your heart out.

Chorazin

I'm into all kinds of music, and my interest in hip-hop's recently been re-kindled! I'm looking forward to this thread giving me tons of new stuff to listen to and teaching me what's good and what's shitlicious.

Already into Jedi Mind Tricks, so thanks for that!

AnkitT

I dont know why, but I just cant get into the roots at all. Tried to listen to their new album at least three times but turned it off after a few tracks. i think its the music, as I can see that their lyrics are quite good. So I guess what i'm saying is this, give me some good songs by the roots so that I can get a feel of them. Also, this thread is amazing, good recommendations all around! :D

caromelo

Maybe some of these will appeal to you, most of which have been singles.

The Next Movement - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7Xt2Qsjcg
The Seed(2.0) ft Cody Chesnutt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojC0mg2hJCc&feature=channel
Proceed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5TUqdxqHS0&feature=related
Essaywhuman?!!!??! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7__No9owGk
You Got Me ft. Erykah Badu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJCHeEQV454&feature=related

If anything check out the Home Grown Beginners Guide to the Roots albums. They're a pretty good compilation of some of their best.

HiResDes

Brettison said:
Okay so Hip-Hop GAF if I really like the The Illz - The Pursuit album what else should I be checking out?
Check Out 87 Dreams! (Posted Above).

Also definitely similar in soundscape:

Esso - Anti-Socialite (Start with this actually)

20100505-ESSO.jpg

DL LINK

Film Skool Rejekts - Midnight Movie (Re-Upped)

20091225-FILMSKOOL.jpg

DL LINK

Children of the Night - Yes/No

frontcover.jpg

DL LINK

Cobe Obeah - Song of the Starz

20100620-STARZ1.jpg

DL LINK

J.Ferb - Chase The Dreams, Not The Competition

20100423-JFERB1.jpg

DL LINK

dskillzhtown

caromelo said:
Maybe some of these will appeal to you, most of which have been singles.

The Next Movement - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7Xt2Qsjcg
The Seed(2.0) ft Cody Chesnutt - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojC0mg2hJCc&feature=channel
Proceed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5TUqdxqHS0&feature=related
Essaywhuman?!!!??! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7__No9owGk
You Got Me ft. Erykah Badu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJCHeEQV454&feature=related

If anything check out the Home Grown Beginners Guide to the Roots albums. They're a pretty good compilation of some of their best.

I know I am going to get killed for this, but I think they peaked with their first album. It was so damned good and raw. Though their instrumental mixtape/cd Dilla Joints is in my heavy rotation and has been for awhile. Not saying the stuff after the debut album has been bad, just hasn't been the complete package the first album was.

HiResDes

Chorazin said:
Oh, and what does Hip-HopGAF think of Nerdcore?

notthisjeez.jpg

...I despise the actual niche, but rappers like Kool Keith and Deltron 3030 who rap about nerdy things without pigeonholing themselves into the particular niche are awesome. I just find rappers like MC Frontalot and MC Chris to be too gimmicky for my taste.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Holy shit that 87 Dreams album rocks, and I just now noticed Tame Impala is on the last track. I was spinning their new album all last week too! :lol

Thanks Hip-Hop GAF. You've recommended me some dope ass tunage over the past few days, and it's all shit I never would have found on myself. Mad props crew. Mad props!

Chorazin said:
I'm into all kinds of music, and my interest in hip-hop's recently been re-kindled! I'm looking forward to this thread giving me tons of new stuff to listen to and teaching me what's good and what's shitlicious.

Already into Jedi Mind Tricks, so thanks for that!
I'll give you all you need.

HiResDes

Sunako said:
I'll give you all you need.
Doesn't really seem to correspond with what he has liked so far...I'd say check out the new Vinne Paz (Jedi Mind Tricks member) album:

season-of-the-assassin.jpg

and this:

princepaulhorrorcity.jpg

DL LINK

BTW...Sunako, I don't know if I'd link that

Chorazin

HiResDes said:
Doesn't really seem to correspond with what he has liked so far...I'd say check out the new Vinne Paz (Jedi Mind Tricks member) album:

and this:

DL LINK

BTW...Sunako, I don't know if I'd link that

Aight man, I'll check those out ASAP, as I just finished Jedi Mind Tricks disco. I liked it for the most part, but I dunno how a whole album of just Paz would be.

I downloaded the Laws mixtape you linked above but I didn't get a chance to put it on my iPhone this morning.

Jay Sosa

Aleon Craft - Strange Video

Finally got my BoB album, not as good as Drake's (can't stop listening to that record) but still excellent.

Checked out that tape today, pretty good:

And was looking for punchline rappers (whatever happened to them?) this dude seem to be really nice and witty with his punches:

Click the pics to dl

EDIT: Nearly forgot:

I need some ignorant southern rap, like Boosie or Webbie, something about spending cash fucking hoes and riding around on 84. Anyone got something new? Nothing against all this conscious and swag stuff but I need a bit diversity on my MP3 Player.

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
Aleon Craft - Strange Video

Finally got my BoB album, not as good as Drake's (can't stop listening to that record) but still excellent.

Checked out that tape today, pretty good:

And was looking for punchline rappers (whatever happened to them?) this dude seem to be really nice and witty with his punches:

Click the pics to dl

EDIT: Nearly forgot:

I need some ignorant southern rap, like Boosie or Webbie, something about spending cash fucking hoes and riding around in 84. Anyone got something new? Nothing against all this conscious and swag stuff but I need a bit diversity on my MP3 Player.
THUMBS UP to Nickelus F

BTW, try out this if you haven't heard it already:

KD_HAM_Don_Prez_Charm_B-Phlat_Kd_-_Untouchable-front-large.jpg

DL LINK

and I know you already have this, but just in case:

gucci-mane.jpg

DL LINK

Also check out the L.E.$. mixtapes if you haven't already.

Jay Sosa

Oh yeah, already dl'd that LES tape, just forgot to put it on my player.

And yeah KD is nice, linked his best of in the last thread but nobody cared :C

Love this song: Lov it feat. Ham

Didn't know he had a new one out, will check it out, thanks as always!

HiResDes

Jay Sosa said:
Oh yeah, already dl'd that LES tape, just forgot to put it on my player.

And yeah KD is nice, linked his best of in the last thread but nobody cared :C

Love this song: Lov it feat. Ham

Didn't know he had a new one out, will check it out, thanks as always!
naw dude that mixtape is like a year old...I forgot that it was you that got me on him. :lol

Hmm...Boo Rossini's First of the Month was decent and the Cartune Netwerk Mixtapes are banging albeit all months old. You got me stumped.

strictlyforthetrapsandtrunks.jpg

Jay Sosa

That makes me kinda happy after all this awesome music I found out about thanks to you.
Btw.: Will check the WOS boards, should find some new stuff there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom