• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
The needle drop gave new Shabazz a 5/10. Thus undoing the natural cycle of hipster hop.

What are you talking about? Glossing over great material in favor of shiny bright barely-but-not-quite-hot artists is 100%, completely in tune with the natural cycle of hipster hop. Hence...

Of course he did. He also gave clppng a 9/10

nail-hammer.jpg

The needle drop gave new Shabazz a 5/10. Thus undoing the natural cycle of hipster hop.

Shabazz, as brokers of culture, are at a point in their life cycle where their cache is kind of drying up. Black Up was given 10s out the gate and inspired a ton of people, Chimurenga Renaissance extended their presence as a spin-off, and people know "what to expect" from Lese Majesty. For folks who look at music a certain type of way Shabazz is teetering on the brink of being over. Relevance is only maintained if you play a very specific game they don't seem to be interested in. You have to be making bold statements through interviews as opposed to letting your music speak for itself. You have to incorporate "new and challenging" production techniques instead of honing the shit you alone on the entire planet have mastered. Hence the tepid reactions.

But for that same type of dude the new Dilated Peoples album is going to be a "personal triumph" that "highlights the individual talents of a pioneering group" and shows that "true legends can adapt to any point in time". You'll see people wondering how they could be so "incredibly underrated in hiphop history". We're due for at least five or six "Are Dilated Peoples one of the best hiphop outfits of all time?" type conversations. Dudes along the lines of Kanye and Danny Brown will be dropping their shit in interviews.

The hype cycle is real brehs. 2015 is going to be the year of the Dilated Peoples come up.

Esch

Banned
But for that same type of dude the new Dilated Peoples album is going to be a "personal triumph" that "highlights the individual talents of a pioneering group" and shows that "true legends can adapt to any point in time". You'll see people wondering how they could be so "incredibly underrated in hiphop history". We're due for at least five or six "Are Dilated Peoples one of the best hiphop outfits of all time?" type conversations. Dudes along the lines of Kanye and Danny Brown will be dropping their shit in interviews.

The hype cycle is real brehs. 2015 is going to be the year of the Dilated Peoples come up.

Spot on with the culture argument, but i also think you'll get some heavy laughs out of this topic based on this section of your post;

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/how-garbage-was-jurassic-5.182576/

JohnDoe

Banned
Why are people always mad at Fantano, lmao

He's just a dude on youtube who gives his opinions on music and he's able to present that in a interesting, entertaining and easily digestible way. I even disagree with him a lot but I wouldn't find him as interesting if I didn't.

Spot on with the culture argument, but i also think you'll get some heavy laughs out of this topic based on this section of your post;

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/how-garbage-was-jurassic-5.182576/

really, they cam make anything popular with that crowd. Put them on some Prius commercials, play their music on Adult Swim.

Coli Fam..... you have NO fukkING IDEA how scared I was that Freddie Gibbs/MadLib/MadGibbs was gonna fall prey to this.

I could just picture the instrumental to "Thuggin" being played while those commercials that were nothing but words on a black background flashed on the screen.

:dead:

Some truth bombs going off in there. Not too long ago I spent an entire day trying to talk someone out of believing Deltron 3030 was the definitive rap experience of our time.

I like Fantano though. Dude is totally a music culture gone wrong PSA and tries too hard to play the expert, but he's entertaining and can put things in perspective a lot of the time. I think he'd be very aware of how he comes off and if anything plays into it.

Esch

Banned
Why are people always mad at Fantano, lmao

He's just a dude on youtube who gives his opinions on music and he's able to present that in a interesting, entertaining and easily digestible way. I even disagree with him a lot but I wouldn't find him as interesting if I didn't.

I don't know, he's just such a perfect scapegoat for white hipster pan-music blogging hatred. It's like, the Jitters mentality, but with better taste and a bigger podium and a better personality. Really he's winning out here, because he rustles my jimmies enough to keep him relevant. Either way he somehow maneuvered himself into being the guy whose opinion gets noted on everything, regardless of what it is. I just don't respect what he does at its core I guess. I just don't think someone can position themselves as a worthy critic for as many things as he does.

JohnDoe

Banned
I don't know, he's just such a perfect scapegoat for white hipster pan-music blogging hatred. It's like, the Jitters mentality, but with better taste and a bigger podium and a better personality. Really he's winning out here, because he rustles my jimmies enough to keep him relevant. Either way he somehow maneuvered himself into being the guy whose opinion gets noted on everything, regardless of what it is. I just don't respect what he does at its core I guess. I just don't think someone can position themselves as a worthy critic for as many things as he does.

Well, I definitely agree that a lot of times, he's talking about some shit that he really doesn't know anything about. But on the other hand, that's just like, his opinion man, and I just don't get why he gets so many people heated. He's so irrelevant in the grand scope of things.

JohnDoe

Banned
On the other hand that J5 thread is killing me. truthbombs

I remember sharing this on
hamster.png
, but it bears repeating every time these dudes are brought up...I've never felt more lame or corny in my entire adult life than the time in college i was with my bruh at this hippy white broad's apartment smoking...we're passing around the bowl and at some point she says "hey you guys want to listen to some hip hop
troll.png
" ....we kinda nod after chuckling at the randomness of the question...then she proceeds to throw on some J5 album...for the 30 or however ever many minutes we were there afterward, I felt like every single molecule of coolness, swag, waviness etc had been forcibly ripped out of my body like when magneto stripped wolverine of his adamantium

Shocking_Moments_in_Comicpeshora.blogspo%2B%25284%2529.jpg

It's no small wonder that i was ever able to recover...I share this as a cautionary tale, don't listen to Jurassic 5 brehs

:dead:

Esch

Banned
Well, I definitely agree that a lot of times, he's talking about some shit that he really doesn't know anything about. But on the other hand, that's just like, his opinion man, and I just don't get why he gets so many people heated. He's so irrelevant in the grand scope of things.

Well obviously it doesn't matter, he's just a dude with a camera but. If he wasn't popular, we wouldn't speak on him at all.

Maybe it's his complete inability to talk about music in any sort of compositional or know-how sense. It's like being a car reviewer, but all of your reviews mention nothing about engine design or chassis, only aesthetics.

Esch

Banned
i was listening to the Street Dreams remix and lol you guys remember when R. Kelly wasn't the guy who peed on a junior high schooler

i was listening to the Street Dreams remix and lol you guys remember when R. Kelly wasn't the guy who peed on a junior high schooler

Grew up on the man's music the R. album and TP2.com were staples of my childhood then I got older and realized how much he talked about fucking on TP2 lol. He had a incredible run looking back the amount of hits :phew.

Esch

Banned
that's a smooth ass song but I just can't help but think "R Kelly was fucking an underage Aaliyah around this time..."
high key, i'm pretty sure the entire Roc ran through that sometime after that too
mjlol.png

Grew up on the man's music the R. album and TP2.com were staples of my childhood then I got older and realized how much he talked about fucking on TP2 lol.

It's sad, because just like with michael jackson there was a lot of evidence that these dudes weren't right in the head w/ regards to some of this shit. But like Puff Daddy from then to now, everyone chose to ignore it.

CRS

^ It's in New York

The funny part is that Curren$y and Dom will the have the most energy out of everyone at that concert. It's too bad no one is going for them.

Esch

Banned
i'm really disappointed that thecoli hasnt manufactured a proper flattopped flabbynsick raekwon for proper use yet. too many wu-dustheads :(

Esch

Banned
There's nothing
mjlol.png
about statutory rape, Esch. This is GAF-Hop, not India.
She was 18 after she left Kells, but I'm going to go ahead and warn you. Keep coming at me on that race tip and you'll end up in the bargain bin of this forum with swagjesus and //b1g

jawalrus.png

JohnDoe

Banned
Well obviously it doesn't matter, he's just a dude with a camera but. If he wasn't popular, we wouldn't speak on him at all.

Maybe it's his complete inability to talk about music in any sort of compositional or know-how sense. It's like being a car reviewer, but all of your reviews mention nothing about engine design or chassis, only aesthetics.

So you're saying 90% of the music critic industry has no right to exist
LuEuQ.png

I get and agree with your points mostly but I still just see a dude honestly talking how he experienced an album in front of a camera even if his reviews can be very questionable on certain genres/albums due to his severe lack of perspective and expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom