• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As an overall project, Colouring Book >>>>>> Acid Rap and it's not close.

If you want to talk Cocoa Butter Kisses vs. the highlights from Colouring Book, that's another argument.

HiResDes

As an overall project, Colouring Book >>>>>> Acid Rap and it's not close.

If you want to talk Cocoa Butter Kisses vs. the highlights from Colouring Book, that's another argument.
Naw, tbh if I'm the guy who always seems to like projects that are obscure or made before a person hits mainstream popularity, you seem to hold the antithesis of that mindset. It's bigger, it has more features and busier production but lyrically and even concept wise it seems much less well rounded

Icolin

Banned
The Nav x The Weeknd track, "Some Way", is out now. Link

Pretty solid but ultimately forgettable like most of Nav's stuff, barring a few songs.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Chance sold the fuck out.

I don't know how to describe it but Chance basically smoothed out his edges and became this wholesome Christian boy making palatable rap for the whitest of white people. I don't know if that's even true or not considering "Coloring Book" had some awful mixing in the copy I have, but it certainly feels like Chance lost the edge he had when "Acid Rap" dropped. That combined with his ads for Kit-Kat and oGrammy ads just make it seem like he changed himself to win.

Maybe this is just who he always was, but I don't think so.
Gonna have to agree with this.

Never thought Chance would've followed up Acid Rap with some Ned Flanders shit, but hey, follow the money.

Shut the fuck up Andrew.

Anyways

Chance is out here charging $250 for a concert meet n greet that doesnt even include tickets to the show and $75 to play rock paper scissors but no pics allowed.

?

I'm not being a counterpoint naysayer or anything, but man it's a great album. Probably has some of Metro Boomins best produced tracks, and the two play off each other so well.

?

I'm not being a counterpoint naysayer or anything, but man it's a great album. Probably has some of Metro Boomins best produced tracks, and the two play off each other so well.

ehhhh it's alright. not an album with much lasting appeal past even a week tbh. plastic bag and digital dash were great tho.

Drake needs to come back strong. he's had a rough year musically (though he's gotten bigger than ever).

looking forward to that future album. dirty sprite 2 (in stores now) was so good.

T Dollarz

Coloring Book has grown on me a lot. When it first came out I thought it was boring and underwhelming but over the past year whenever I go back to it I appreciate it more and more. It is a really good album. That said, Acid Rap is still superior.

WATTBA is better now because we're further away from the overplay of the radio singles, but it still isn't great. There's some weak filler in there. It's solid I guess.

I'm not a Future fan, but Thought It Was A Drought is literally one of the best things created by any human throughout all of history, legitimately a transcendent song.
And not because of the flip flop line, didn't even know that was a meme until long after I fell in love with that track.
All I need is one track with that level of quality from this new project.

Koozek

Anyone here watched Atlanta? I'm halfway through, right now. Really cool show. Well-shot, cool characters, unique mood.

And now I know where this GIF is from. I always thought that was Chappelle, wondering why I didn't know where it's from, lol.

giphy.gif

NandoGip

Anyone here watched Atlanta? I'm halfway through, right now. Really cool show. Well-shot, cool characters, unique mood.

And now I know where this GIF is from. I always thought that was Chappelle, wondering why I didn't know where it's from, lol.

giphy.gif

Literally just started last night. 4-5 ep's deep myself. I'm enjoying it.

anyone got any real aggressive shit for me to listen to?

Look at me - XXXTENTACION

Pretty solid but ultimately forgettable like most of Nav's stuff, barring a few songs.

Haven't heard the new track yet but something about Nav's flow is sooo good

I'm not a Future fan, but Thought It Was A Drought is literally one of the best things created by any human throughout all of history, legitimately a transcendent song.
And not because of the flip flop line, didn't even know that was a meme until long after I fell in love with that track.
All I need is one track with that level of quality from this new project.

Thought it was a drought top 5 Future, along with Codeine Crazy, March Madness, Perky's Calling, and Honest

Do we have any info of Drake's More Life project coming?

My prediction is that he'll drop another single or two since it seems like the other two tracks didn't hit like they expected. The thing got pushed back like what... 6 months at this point?

Gonna have to agree with this.

Never thought Chance would've followed up Acid Rap with some Ned Flanders shit, but hey, follow the money.

LMAO So true... I fucked with Coloring Book heavy but it's still somehow over hyped to me. Ned Flanders really is the only way to describe his new shtick..

OG Kush

Atlanta is great. My favourite new show. Westworld, ive seen the first 3 episodes and it started out really strong as I love tech/sci-fi, make you think, type shit but don't really have any desire to continue...
On another note I've just started getting into Korean gangster/crime/thriller movies. Why did I take so long to do seen "A Bittersweet Life"?! Damn good movie. Think I'm going to lay off the TV shows for a bit and stick to these Korean movies and the Vice programming.

Koozek

On another note I've just started getting into Korean gangster/crime/thriller movies. Why did I take so long to do seen "A Bittersweet Life"?! Damn good movie. Think I'm going to lay off the TV shows for a bit and stick to these Korean movies and the Vice programming.
BREH

Korean cinema is the shit. Watched probably around 15 Korean movies last year. A Bittersweet Life was dope. Get on these:
- Oldboy (!!! - one of my all-time faves) and the other two from the Vengeance Trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
- New World
- I Saw the Devil
- The Chaser
- Memories of Murder
- The Man From Nowhere
- Gangnam Blues

And a crazy-ass horror movie from last year:
- The Wailing

Start with New World for your gangster movie fix and then watch Oldboy, if you haven't seen it yet.

I don't know if I'm late to the party but Lupe Fiasco's new album is horrible. This is saddening to me. How did he get from The Pen and the Needles to this?

I don't know if I'm late to the party but Lupe Fiasco's new album is horrible. This is saddening to me. How did he get from The Pen and the Needles to this?

First time poster in this thread. Lookin forward to the discussion.

I thought I heard this was the last album he was required to drop with Atlanta Records to finalize his contract with them. Which might be a reason for the significant drop in quality in the album after the first 1/4. Not that the beginning few songs are fantastic, they're just significantly better than the shit that comes after it. And I'd call myself a huge Lupe fan.

I need him to be making music for the sake of making music again, not per some contract. The difference in quality is insane.

B R O W N B O Y Z

It's dope to see another Indian dude make his way into music, though I don't know what the fascination is with R&B; him, Jai Paul, A.K. Paul, Ben Khan.

OG Kush

BREH

Korean cinema is the shit. Watched probably around 15 Korean movies last year. A Bittersweet Life was dope. Get on these:

I already have ALL of these, apart from Gangam blues and Man from nowhere, on my list of ones to watch. Trust me, after I finished Bittersweet life I came straight to GAF and searched for threads haha!

First time poster in this thread. Lookin forward to the discussion.

I thought I heard this was the last album he was required to drop with Atlanta Records to finalize his contract with them. Which might be a reason for the significant drop in quality in the album after the first 1/4. Not that the beginning few songs are fantastic, they're just significantly better than the shit that comes after it. And I'd call myself a huge Lupe fan.

I need him to be making music for the sake of making music again, not per some contract. The difference in quality is insane.

Can't say I respect artists who pull this shit (if it is what he's pulling). Yeah, you might be doing it just to get out of your contract thus don't want to give the label the good songs, but at the end of the day you're fucking over your fans who are going to pay for the album.

Also, reppin for the Brown Boys. But I prefer LASSI BOYZ. There's also this guy over here in the UK who's named himself Pak-Man as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOn0wGex1M0

Koozek

I already have ALL of these, apart from Gangam blues and Man from nowhere, on my list of ones to watch. Trust me, after I finished Bittersweet life I came straight to GAF and searched for threads haha!
Nice! Make sure to report back afterwards.
Can't say I respect artists who pull this shit (if it is what he's pulling). Yeah, you might be doing it just to get out of your contract thus don't want to give the label the good songs, but at the end of the day you're fucking over your fans who are going to pay for the album.
I mean, it's not like fans have to buy the album. Doesn't make a difference to him if it sells or not if he only does it for contractual reasons.

I saw "the wailing" recently and it's probably one of my fav movies of last year.

And Atlanta is dope as hell I need to do a rewatch soon

Moonkid

Still haven't finished Atlanta nor the Night Of. I also have to start the O.J. miniseries >_>
Atlanta is great. My favourite new show. Westworld, ive seen the first 3 episodes and it started out really strong as I love tech/sci-fi, make you think, type shit but don't really have any desire to continue...
Didn't expect to see mention of Korean films here LOL, good on ya fam.

Gonna reaffirm the recs for Oldboy, Memories of Murder, and Man from Nowhere in particular because they're as good as it gets. On top of those aforementioned, check out Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Easily my favourite revenge flick of all time.

I can't stand it either. It's a scum move at best.

Koozek

Still haven't finished Atlanta nor the Night Of. I also have to start the O.J. miniseries >_>Didn't expect to see mention of Korean films here LOL, good on ya fam.

Gonna reaffirm the recs for Oldboy, Memories of Murder, and Man from Nowhere in particular because they're as good as it gets. On top of those aforementioned, check out Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. Easily my favourite revenge flick of all time.
Have you seen Park Chan-wook's newest, The Handmaiden? Saw it on Sneak Preview night here a few weeks ago. Crazy, fun ride :D

Moonkid

Have you seen Park Chan-wook's newest, The Handmaiden? Saw it on Sneak Preview night here a few weeks ago. Crazy, fun ride :D
I saw it the other day, really good movie yeah! I was expecting something quite slow and frankly boring but it blew my expectations right out. Now Age of Shadows, there's a boring movie. Kim Jee Woon had the short straw with this script.

unexpectedly excited for this future album given his recent output.. haven't really loved anything from him since 56 nights. though i have been listening to lots of ds1 lately..

Koozek

I saw it the other day, really good movie yeah! I was expecting something quite slow and frankly boring but it blew my expectations right out. Now Age of Shadows, there's a boring movie. Kim Jee Woon had the short straw with this script.

The Handmaiden was so fucking good
But man, "those" scenes were super awkward in the theatre and felt like they never ended :D Not sure if I found them too over-the-top and male-gaze-y, or if they made sense exactly because its intention was to show
the women's secret sexuality in an extreme way as a contrast to the sexual oppression they experienced in society otherwise.

unexpectedly excited for this future album given his recent output.. haven't really loved anything from him since 56 nights. though i have been listening to lots of ds1 lately..
Wat, not even DS2??

Moonkid

But man, "those" scenes were super awkward in the theatre and felt like they never ended :D Not sure if I found them too over-the-top and male-gaze-y, or if they made sense exactly because its intention was to show
the women's secret sexuality in an extreme way as a contrast to the sexual oppression they experienced in society otherwise.
As a film student it did evoke thoughts about the male gaze and such, but having read interviews from the crew who really did seem to try and present it un-fetishised as well as perspectives from gay viewers, I'm not too concerned about the film being problematic. For the purpose of the film I think it works most definitely at least. They maaaaybe could have shaved off a few seconds :p but who am I to say as a straight dude.

Koozek

As a film student it did evoke thoughts about the male gaze and such, but having read interviews from the crew who really did seem to try and present it un-fetishised as well as perspectives from gay viewers, I'm not too concerned about the film being problematic. For the purpose of the film I think it works most definitely at least. They maaaaybe could have shaved off a few seconds :p but who am I to say as a straight dude.
Btw, I didn't find it awkward because it was gay sex. Overly long, explicit sex scenes in the theatre are uncomfortable to watch in general (or worse, watching something at home with parents and suddenly a steamy scenes comes on, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom