• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Missed you all!
Jazzmyn Red - Writing HERstory

Larry June - Larry TWO

Money Makin Nique - Bring Money Witchu

ManKind x The Deity Complex - ManKind: Black History [1970-2020]
]
SomeGuy - Focus

She Real - Real Hip-Hop Still Exists 3

Peep parts 1 and 2. They’re both good.

Starlito - Manifest Destiny

Enjoy.

Listening to that Jazzmyn tape, some of these song have dope instrumentals and bars, espcially that 'Questionable blackness' track

Koozek

Finally have the time to listen to some stuff. New Future is more of the same, which isn't necessarily bad. I'm not expecting a creative concept album or anything. Just some more Trap shit for my playlist. I bumped PR and Evol a lot.

giphy.gif

HiResDes

Missed you all!
Jazzmyn Red - Writing HERstory

Larry June - Larry TWO

Money Makin Nique - Bring Money Witchu

ManKind x The Deity Complex - ManKind: Black History [1970-2020]
]
SomeGuy - Focus

She Real - Real Hip-Hop Still Exists 3

Peep parts 1 and 2. They’re both good.

Starlito - Manifest Destiny

Enjoy.
Some Guy - Decent Instrumentals, Eh
Jazzmyn Red - On that female Cole everyman shit, but a bit more poetic, its aight
She Real - Too pedantic for me without much musicality
Larry June - Been messing with him for a while, swag swag, chilled out OG Maco basically
Money Makin' Nique - Crazy flow, reminds me of early Common Sense when on point, fire for the most part
ManKind: Black History - Some of that vintage East Coast shit, one dude reminds me of Westside Gunn, boom bap goodness
Already had the Starlito fire as usual

illadelph

which version of kendrick's "i" do you guys prefer, the album version or the single version?

personally i prefer the single version.

Album version, and it's not even close. It has so much more energy. As someone who has struggled with self esteem issues, I find myself going back to that track a lot. I wouldn't mind a whole project with that type of live vibe to it. Like everyone else, I'm interested to see what he does next, because it could be something completely different.

On the topic of skits, I actually really like them if they're well executed. Good skits can tie the concept or direction of a project together. Prince Paul is the GOAT in this regard, with the first three De La albums having my favorite skits.

others with good skits:

College Dropout (they just make me laugh)
Relapse (the intro into 3AM especially sets a chilling mood)
Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers
any weird DOOM shit

So, I'm listening to that Prince Paul album Des recommended and 3 thing:

1) The skits are indeed are pretty good since they're integral to the album's concept.
2) The production is also good and gives the album some variety.
3) More Than U Know is where the sample in the Avalanches' "Flight Tonight" comes from.

illadelph

Prince Paul is probably a top 5 producer for me. I remember watching a 3 Feet High and Rising video where he was talking about how people would come to the studio and laugh at him for finding ill ass samples from Disney records and shit, and the beats would be crazy nice. He's one creative dude.

Hot Garbage vs Lukewarm Vomit

Someone doesn't love himself.

Now that I think about it, when skits I only really hate skits when you can tell they've been tacked on for god knows what reason. Em's skits for the most part actually play nicely into the following tracks. Relapse skits may be his best ones.

HiResDes

Someone doesn't love himself.

Now that I think about it, when skits I only really hate skits when you can tell they've been tacked on for god knows what reason. Em's skits for the most part actually play nicely into the following tracks. Relapse skits may be his best ones.
I don't like shit

Reckoner

I don't see what's so bad about i. I don't love the track, but I don't see what makes people so overly critical about it.

I get some bandcamp dude probably did it better tho

Wouldn't it be easier for the producers to switch up the rapper instead
The producers aren't the famous ones, so they get no say in this. It's like how Kanye got RZA, Madlib, Q-Tip, DJ Premier, Pete Rock, and likely more to produce on "MBDTF" but chose whomever he did for the final project.

Whomever is the bigger name gets to pick who they work with. Like, Future can choose to pick a Metro Boomin beat, a Mike-Will beat, a Nard & B beat, etc. and Metro Boomin can choose to work with 21 Savage or Nav or A Boogie or whomever.

I was going to edit the link, but ohmygod that is some fucking heat.

Reckoner

The producers aren't the famous ones, so they get no say in this. It's like how Kanye got RZA, Madlib, Q-Tip, DJ Premier, Pete Rock, and likely more to produce on "MBDTF" but chose whomever he did for the final project.

Whomever is the bigger name gets to pick who they work with. Like, Future can choose to pick a Metro Boomin beat, a Mike-Will beat, a Nard & B beat, etc. and Metro Boomin can choose to work with 21 Savage or Nav or A Boogie or whomever.

I was going to edit the link, but ohmygod that is some fucking heat.

I wasn't being serious

MartyStu

Just finished Lupe's latest album...

This is such trash. Like, what happened to this dude. Jesus, Kendrick shits out better albums than Lupe's current real efforts.

That said, Jump is pretty great. Incongruously so.

This is such trash. Like, what happened to this dude. Jesus, Kendrick shits out better albums than Lupe's current real efforts.

I love that album for all the wrong reasons

This is one of them
deadmanny.png

I didn't even bother with T and Y, seems like I'm not missing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom