• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrc1594

Is it me or is everyone talking about DAMN? I felt after a week no one was talking about More Life. I know it hasn't been a week since DAMN dropped but I don't go one day without seeing an article of K.Dot. DAMN just feels more eventful.

Hitta93

Banned
Is it me or is everyone talking about DAMN? I felt after a week no one was talking about More Life. I know it hasn't been a week since DAMN dropped but I don't go one day without seeing an article of K.Dot. DAMN just feels more eventful.

I wouldn't compare a side project to a full out retail release.

I wouldn't compare a side project to a full out retail release.

Plus Kendrick albums tend to just have more to discuss at the end of the day.

All you can really do with drake albums is say how much it bumps or doesn't. Or how dope a track is or isn't etc. He's making pop rap albums and that's fine. It's his lane. Plus I'm sure More Life had had like a trillion spotify and apple streams at this point

Fear is a perfect beat because it's dope, and because it perfectly fits the song. The way the sample thumps...sounds like a terrified heartbeat. It's a great song.

overcast

To be honest, I never got the "FLAME EMOJI BREH" comments for Fear either. It's the perfect backdrop for his introspective verses but people post like it's a banger for the whip
I mean.. Not that it deserves to be discussed much but I think the flame emoji just means it's dope.

Damn, the Celtics are frauds.

Helmholtz

I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

Location, Magnolia, Other Shit and Wokeuplikethis are all pretty good.
My man. I like those as well, Let It Go is maybe my favorite track next to Magnolia though, and Had 2 is such a great final track.
The hook for Magnolia is just so infectious, can't stop humming it all day.

LionPride

Banned
Plus Kendrick albums tend to just have more to discuss at the end of the day.

All you can really do with drake albums is say how much it bumps or doesn't. Or how dope a track is or isn't etc. He's making pop rap albums and that's fine. It's his lane. Plus I'm sure More Life had had like a trillion spotify and apple streams at this point

I honestly think that the reason Damn broke Drake's Spotify streaming records was because of that tease of April 7th so when the album actually dropped, rap people and others were just interested in a follow up to TPAB especially after Humble and The Heart Part IV dropped

daffy

Banned
Coachella is boosting it up. Once May hits we'll prob be onto LOGIC

s/

holy shit, how long has the new joey badass album been out? i can't believe it took me this long to listen to it, i'm really enjoying it! temptation and land of the free are fantastic

LionPride

Banned
Fuck KTT, Twitter itself gonna wild out if that happens
Do you know how many J. Cole and Drake stans I see on Twitter saying "It ain't that good of an album" "Niggas scared to tell they true feelings about a Kendrick album" "Cole won" "Drake won" "Kendrick fell off"

FZZ

Banned
Listen the concept of Damn as a whole doesn't hold a candle to TPAB and honestly wasn't as interesting as some of y'all are making it out to be, that's my first gripe with it and why I was disappointed

As a cohesive project of course Damn is better than More Life, because More Life is a god damn playlist whereas Damn has an overarching theme (that I find weak) and every song is linked together for a specific reason.

But head to head in terms of enjoyability and what's better to listen to?

More Life shits on Damn.

Listen I'll come back to damn for 4 maybe 5 tracks out of 14. More Life had at least 7 I know I'll still play back.

Y'all get your panties in a bunch so quickly.

The interesting thing about More Life is how Drake pretty much falls in the background. Travis kills his feature, Quavo kills his feature, Young Thug has one of the best verses on the album, Giggs drops a hilarious batman line.

Almost nothing Drake himself does on the project is memorable, besides the 5S line.

LionPride

Banned
Listen the concept of Damn as a whole doesn't hold a candle to TPAB and honestly wasn't as interesting as some of y'all are making it out to be, that's my first gripe with it and why I was disappointed

As a cohesive project of course Damn is better than More Life, because More Life is a god damn playlist whereas Damn has an overarching theme (that I find weak) and every song is linked together for a specific reason.

More Life shits on Damn.
Yeah I gotta go with a no there.

HiResDes

If you hold contrarian opinion and can only really support with some poor interpretation of the vaunted Esch scale prepare for people to knock that shit down.

Dereck

More Life shits on Damn.

Listen I'll come back to damn for 4 maybe 5 tracks out of 14. More Life had at least 7 I know I'll still play back.

Y'all get your panties in a bunch so quickly.
FmFWyQj.png

TLOP is good.

I ended up digging into TLOP a couple weeks ago, it's quite a good album. Not his best but definitely an 8/10. Lot's of laugh out loud and memorable lines from Kanye, too. The music is definitely the best part, as it sounds.....like it belongs in a modern art museum. Lots of interesting ideas going on, and it manages to succeed.

riotous

Banned
I personally don't care about themes while listening to albums. I like when albums sonically are somewhat cohesive or flow nicely but thematically I don't really give a shit.

I still haven't listened to Damn a second time, I was just so put off by the sound and left so uninterested in the project, I should really get to it.
Watched Fantano's review for Damn....he really goes in on Kendrick's views at around eight minutes, LOL.
Do people take Kendrick's views seriously?
Dude believes we are in the biblical end times/credits his grandmother for that:

"We're in the last days, man -- I truly in my heart believe that. It's written. I could go on with Biblical situations and things my grandma told me. But it's about being at peace with myself and making good with the people around me."

Not to mention his hotep negus rant at the end of "i", he's smartdumb like Nas.
FZZ was there taking all the Ls though during that launch. All of em.

Also with Saint Pablo and Sampha's dulcet tones singing over that beat...TLOP officially became a good album to me. Was iffy at first, but I really dig it
TLOP is great, it's incredible sonic journey and the theme of vibes/feelings/memories that continues across the project hits hard personally (especially on Waves).

Saint Pablo sucks though, and Fade was the perfect ending place for the project.

FZZ

Banned
I ain't going anywhere

I had the L tag and lived to tell the tale

New headphones coming in Thursday too shout outs to torre and Blackthorn

ended up going with the Superlux though because of price

If you hold contrarian opinion and can only really support with some poor interpretation of the vaunted Esch scale prepare for people to knock that shit down.

I agree

I'll post less hot takes and actually explain my opinions going forward

haven't done that since like I first posted in GAF-Hop

But honestly I don't think it's a contrarian opinion, I think a lot of people think or feel like it is but are afraid to say because well it's Kendrick and the vast majority of people still see Drake as a joke outside of having mass appeal. No one wants to be caught dead saying Drake had a better project than Kendrick. Unless you're a Drake stan.

Fzz is worse than Trump imo

pause

I personally don't care about themes while listening to albums. I like when albums sonically are somewhat cohesive or flow nicely but thematically I don't really give a shit.

In that sense Damn isn't cohesive though. It's all over the place, and it doesn't feel like a story or different phases like TPAB did

Of course More Life doesn't flow sonically either but I just enjoy the songs more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom