• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just discovered J. Dilla

QosUkZu.gif

codhand

impressive that in a year that has seen two Future releases, De La Soul (via Damon Albarn) would turn in the worst auto-tune track to date

LionPride

Banned
My Collection>DNA

I never thought I'd like a Future album (Hendrxx) more than a Kendrick project.
Culture too.
Yikes

Always thought that song was fucking trash.

Some people don't like his voice now, but on that song? Yikes.

A lot of his pre s.80/Wayne clone stuff is damn near unlistenable.

Feel the same way about Drake. Only became listenable from Take Care onwards.
Kendrick pre Section 80 was fucking TRASH gpod God

Koozek

Just discovered J. Dilla

QosUkZu.gif
Bruh.

Bruh.

The Pharcyde - Runnin'

The Pharcyde - Drop

The Pharcyde - Y

The Pharcyde - She Said (Jay Dee Remix)

A Tribe Called Quest - Find A Way

De La Soul - Stakes Is High

De La Soul - Much More

De La Soul - Peer Pressure

Common - It's Your World (Part 1 & 2)

Common - Love Is...

Common - The Light

Bilal - Reminisce feat. Mos Def & Common

Slum Village - Fall In Love

Slum Village - Climax

Busta Rhymes - Turn Me Up Some

Busta Rhymes - Enjoy Da Ride

Biggie Smalls - The Ugliest

Janet Jackson - Got Till It's Gone (Ummah Jay Dee's Revenge Mix)
[There's a very interesting story about the original's production and this remix - long story short: Janet Jackson's main producers jacked Dilla & Q-Tip's production on the original and credited it under their own name; Dilla kept his mouth shut, but when he was asked to submit a remix for the official Single CD he deliberately emphasized his style in its production and named it literally "Jay Dee Revenge Mix" without Janet's label noticing the shade, lol]​

D'Angelo - Me And Those Dreamin' Eyes Of Mine (Jay Dee Remix)

Common - Come Close feat. Pharrell, Q-Tip & Erykah Badu (Jay Dilla Remix)

Erykah Badu - Didn't Cha Know?

Mood - Secrets of the Sand (Jay Dee Remix)

Nine Yards - Always Find A Way (Jay Dee Remix)

Bahamadia - One-4-Teen (Jay Dee Remix)

Artifacts - Ultimate (Jay Dee Remix)

Toshi - Nothing But Your Love (Jay Dee Remix)

Jay Dee - Think Twice feat. Dwele

And these are just very few examples of tracks he produced for others. I could link you hundreds of dope instrumentals too. Especially the unreleased beat tapes from the early/mid-90's I've found a few years ago finally. Disgusting, raw beats.

Helmholtz

I'm not a fan of the original M50s but supposedly the M50x have improved on the signature never tried them.

I'd suggest the V-Moda M100 maybe they definitely have bass. ADL H118 are nice too but not as visceral with the thump, sporting more of a nice warmness to them.
Sorry, last headphone question in this thread I promise, but is there is a significant different between V-MODA M100 and LP2 (assuming you've tried both)? The price difference in Canada is ~$100. But these look like they might be what I'm looking for, because I like my 598's, but I don't want to buy yet another balanced headphone and I'm thinking the m50x will be too similar to the 598. So the V-Moda is looking like it might be my answer for more bass-heavy hip-hop.

HiResDes

Sorry, last headphone question in this thread I promise, but is there is a significant different between V-MODA M100 and LP2? The price difference in Canada is ~$100. But these look like they might be what I'm looking for, because I like my 598's, but I don't want to buy yet another balanced headphone and I'm thinking the m50x will be too similar to the 598. So the V-Moda is looking like it might be my answer for hip-hop.

Yes big difference. Completely different drivers, completely different headphones. V-Moda M100 far superior overall though in terms of bass depth and overall clarity.

If those are too much check out the Audio-Technica ATH-WS99, definitely have the bass you're looking for, but you'd have to buy pads for them eventually I didn't think they were comfortable at all.

Kopite

DAMN album version must be somewhat different from the leak/Spotify versions? Cause I'm not hearing that Fear voicemail thingy.

Helmholtz

Yes big difference. Completely different drivers, completely different headphones. V-Moda M100 far superior overall though in terms of bass depth and overall clarity.

If those are too much check out the Audio-Technica ATH-WS99, definitely have the bass you're looking for, but you'd have to buy pads for them eventually I didn't think they were comfortable at all.
Cool, thanks again, I will check those out as well. Might end up springing for the M100 ultimately, they look like what I need.

Dereck

Valley of Grace embodies all of my favorite things about Hip-Hop, Elucid sounds so professional and concentrated on it. His production seems effortlessly seamless and dark, sharp and atmospheric at times. The weaving in and out of Plunderphonics is like audio icecream to me. Then he makes these 1-2 minute songs with nihilistic lyrics and cold but aware delivery, really love it. Probably my favorite project from this year.

With that said, I went back to Armand Hammer, happy to say that it's somewhat easier to unpack 4 years later and I actually got stuck on Shark Fin Soup, replayed it about 4 times before continuing with the album. I mean you could compare Armand Hammer to someone like Cannibal Ox considering the location of these two rappers and the subject matter of the album.

Billy Woods/Elucid/Jeremiah Jae/Earl Sweatshirt/Captain Murphy kind of sound is incredible to me because it's a natural progression of something like Madvillainy, and now I don't have to keep referencing Madvillainy when talking about these artists since they're replaced artists like DOOM in terms of the actual sound is concerned.

HiResDes

Toku don't remember Kap G sounding so much like Rich Homie Quan/Thugga with some of these flows, it definitely has some keepers for me, but yeah this thing is all over the place. Just gonna bump like three or four tracks off this. Motivation is hard.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bruh.

Bruh.

*a lot of stuff*

And these are just very few examples of tracks he produced for others. I could link you hundreds of dope instrumentals too. Especially the unreleased beat tapes from the early/mid-90's I've found a few years ago finally. Disgusting, raw beats.

Damn, did you just have that ready to go? Thanks for the links, that's my evening music sorted. I've only listened to Donuts so far, but that's bliss work music.

Early impressions of 2 albums:
- Thundercat - Drunk: not familiar with his other stuff, but I'm not a big fan so far. Most songs just glide by and don't leave a real impression and those lyrics... can't say I like em. The direct DBZ/anime/game talk is just... weird. And not the good kind
- Joey Bada$$: his message is pretty direct, no symbolism or metaphors, all cut and dry. I like it though, favorite lyric after first listen: "In the land of the free, it's full of free loaders/Leave us dead in the street to be their organ donors"

I can see myself giving the Bada$$ record more spins, but not really won over by Thundercat yet

LionPride

Banned
Damn, did you just have that ready to go? Thanks for the links, that's my evening music sorted. I've only listened to Donuts so far, but that's bliss work music.

Early impressions of 2 albums:
- Thundercat - Drunk: not familiar with his other stuff, but I'm not a big fan so far. Most songs just glide by and don't leave a real impression and those lyrics... can't say I like em. The direct DBZ/anime/game talk is just... weird. And not the good kind
- Joey Bada$$: his message is pretty direct, no symbolism or metaphors, all cut and dry. I like it though, favorite lyric after first listen: "In the land of the free, it's full of free loaders/Leave us dead in the street to be their organ donors"

I can see myself giving the Bada$$ record more spins, but not really won over by Thundercat yet
I like Drunk, but that's because I'm a big Thundercat guy. Listen to Apocalypse, The Golden Age of Apocalypse, or any of his stuff with Kamasi Washington, FlyLo, or K.Dot

Bronx-Man

Banned
I liked Drunk, but I can understand why all the quick tracks and instrumentals coming and going can disorient listeners. A lot of it feels unfocused, like Thundercat had concepts but couldn't realize all of them so he just put the demos on the pad the album. There's 23 tracks and Drunk could've easily been cut down to 14-16. I still enjoy the overall sound though.

Helmholtz

Only listened to drunk once or twice, sonically it was pretty cool but I'm just not really into humor in my music like that. Not unless it's something really special which I didn't find that to be. I preferred Giants more.

Dereck

Teenage Emotions will be the ultimate catalyst for rap fans when people will, and I guarantee, will say Teenage Emotions > DAMN. or Teenage Emotions > Logic's entire discography.

Can't wait to see the tears

Koozek

Teenage Emotions will be the ultimate catalyst for rap fans when people will, and I guarantee, will say Teenage Emotions > DAMN. or Teenage Emotions > Logic's entire discography.

Can't wait to see the tears
Wait, what's so controversial about those statements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom