• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally got around to listening to Free 6lack. It's all blurs together a bit but it's good for what it is. Nothing mindblowing, but I fuck with Never Know, Rules, Prblms, Free, Luving U and Ex Calling.

EDIT: Joey's album is pretty listenable too IMO. Wee bit poppier than you'd expect but it's on point. FOR MY PEOPLE, TEMPTATION, DEVASTATED, and RING THE ALARM are all good. Best album with capitalized song titles in recent memory TBH.

Painting Pictures is very long with a lot of decent songs, but it's mostly a background music type thing IMO. Twenty 8, Patty Cake, Conscience, Tunnel Vision, Off The Land, Why They Call You Kodak stand out for me.

Reckoner

If this thread keeps up to its name there is going to be a rappers mom rank followed by someone explaining how Kendrick's mom can't be the goat

Dereck

fcwHejX.png

If this thread keeps up to its name there is going to be a rappers mom rank followed by someone explaining how Kendrick's mom can't be the goat

I dunno, Kendrick's mom doesn't have any classic bars like:

"Shawn Carter was born December 4th, weighing in at 10 pounds, 8 ounces. He was the last of my four children. The only one who didn't give me any pain when I gave birth to him. And that's how I knew that he was a special child....."

Or:

"Shawn was a very shy child growing up. He was into sports, and a funny story is at 4 he taught himself how to ride a bike. A two-wheeler at that, isn't that special? But I noticed a change in him when me and my husband broke up...."

iavi

6lack was cool. Surprised by how much I've been replaying Bryson's album. Kinda hype for his next album. And DVSN and Gallants

6lack ran together for me. PRBMLS was a serious standout track, but the rest was forgettable something serious.

These demonic alt r&b cats need work on consistency. They all have like one or two hot tracks and the rest are moody background music

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just finished watching the documentary on Nas's Illmatic album, "Time is Illmatic". Pretty decent. Nas writing those verses from ages 17-19 still blows my mind. The documentary also made me rediscover this tune:
Boogie Down Productions - The Bridge Is Over
I still have to watch this, damn. Song is the definition of a classic BTW. Been on a documentary kick for the past few months.

On that note, what are the best hip-hop documentaries?

Just finished watching the documentary on Nas's Illmatic album, "Time is Illmatic". Pretty decent. Nas writing those verses from ages 17-19 still blows my mind. The documentary also made me rediscover this tune:
Boogie Down Productions - The Bridge Is Over

This post made me go down the rabbit hole of Miami Bass songs on youtube. I found a song called Cars with the Boom!...this is fucking terrible...yet oddly enjoyable.

I think I just really like 808s. Girls are cute.

OG Kush

I still have to watch this, damn. Song is the definition of a classic BTW. Been on a documentary kick for the past few months.

On that note, what are the best hip-hop documentaries?

I've seen quiet a few over the years, but my memory is shit but here's some I of the ones I found interesting:
Beats, Rhymes & Life (Tribe called quest doc)
The Carter (lil wayne doc)
Planet Rock: The Story of Hip-Hop and the Crack Generation
Biggie & Tupac
Fresh Dressed (More about hip hop style/clothing but interesting none the less)
Multiple 2pac docs if you're into him, such as Tupac Shakur: Thug Angel or Tupac Resurrection
Wu: The Story of the Wu-Tang Clan

There's quite a few I haven't seen and also a few from the 80s which I haven't seen but really need to get around to watching

Koozek

I've seen quiet a few over the years, but my memory is shit but here's some I of the ones I found interesting:
Beats, Rhymes & Life (Tribe called quest doc)
The Carter (lil wayne doc)
Planet Rock: The Story of Hip-Hop and the Crack Generation
Biggie & Tupac
Fresh Dressed (More about hip hop style/clothing but interesting none the less)
Multiple 2pac docs if you're into him, such as Tupac Shakur: Thug Angel or Tupac Resurrection
Wu: The Story of the Wu-Tang Clan

There's quite a few I haven't seen and also a few from the 80s which I haven't seen but really need to get around to watching
You seen Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix yet?

Koozek

Stretch and Bobbito Radio That Changed Lives is the best.
Hm, someone recced that here a while ago. Gonna check that out if it's on Netflix Germany. Strange though that I've never heard of Stretch & Bobbito as a 90's Rap Head.

EDIT: Nice, it's up on Netflix here.

OG Kush

Not yet, but I actually just added it to my list yesterday! Still not sure if I will watch it as I've read books and seen multiple documentaries on hip hop, and looking at the episode descriptions of these, its topics already covered in depth. I think I'll still check out the first episode at least to see what Netflix's spin on it is, maybe they've got some decent interviews. I just wish they covered different. I mean come on, an episode on "the birth of gangsta rap". How many times has that been covered?!

Koozek

Not yet, but I actually just added it to my list yesterday! Still not sure if I will watch it as I've read books and seen multiple documentaries on hip hop, and looking at the episode descriptions of these, its topics already covered in depth. I think I'll still check out the first episode at least to see what Netflix's spin on it is, maybe they've got some decent interviews. I just wish they covered different. I mean come on, an episode on "the birth of gangsta rap". How many times has that been covered?!
Heh, that's actually the same reason I haven't watched it yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom