• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Apparently he addresses it on the album. Have yet to arrive to that yet since I'm on track 1. But if reddit and ktt are anything to go by...
Huh, must be the first time this was even rumored, never heard about it. Anyway, if true, good on him for coming out.

Tyler came out as...well not straight? Not a surprise
But I thought he was straight edge
troll.png

Koozek

Apparently Hudson mohawke was on Twin Peaks last night? Didn't know the man was that big a fan of the show, but I'm hoping Lynch also got a musical cameo out of Flying Lotus.
Ah, I didn't get the reference when he retweeted something about that the other day. So he actually was a DJ in the show. Does the new season play in the modern age? oO Only know some episodes from the first season (just couldn't get into it even after several tries).

I better not see the people calling the Vince Staples record trash out here praising the next mediocre trap record that releases soon.

If I catch someone calling "Big Fish Theory" trash and then saying "This new Lil Peep/Lil Xanny/Lil Drug Reference lowkey fire tho", I'm going to give you a hard time.

I'm sorry but this Vince Staples album is lowkey trash. Its too early in his career to branch out into some questionable shit and get a pass for it

It's really good. Sounds like you aren't familiar with west coast music before Dre. A west coast dude rapping over house and garage shit isn't a reach.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ambivalent about the video but it's got energy alright.

Also Navraj sighting

1kqfkj.gif

It's really good. Sounds like you aren't familiar with west coast music before Dre. A west coast dude rapping over house and garage shit isn't a reach.
The style choice isn't really the issue. It's that it's full of garbage songs and pretty indefensible lyrically.

There's like.. nothing there. Him and Playboi Carti are pretty much neck and neck if we're talking 2017 contributions to rap, and at least Carti's stuff slaps for reasons other than sampling Juicy J and he can put a hook together.

Catvoca

Banned
BFT is ok. Its biggest problems to me are its basic song structures and lack of memorable hooks. None of the songs seem to really build into anything, and they often feel like they end just as they're starting to get good. Like on the opening track or Love Can Be, where they both have these long ass intros before Vince comes in and then after spitting one verse they peter out into nothing. This was an issue with Vince's older stuff too but I think Summertime had enough strong songs to anchor the meandering ones, and the fact that it was a more lyrics focused record made up for some of the weaker hooks and made it ok for him to sometimes just end songs after his first verse. Here his lyrics take a backseat to the production and it just exposes the holes in his songwriting. The brevity of the record only emphasises that fact too, as you get to the end of the album having felt like you've barely heard Vince Staples rapping on this thing.

*BFT thoughts*

This reminded me that I forgot to reply to you earlier Torre but thanks for the write-up. Diet Yeezus is a pretty good comparison. You say it left you wanting more as a positive but for me that's just because there's not actually a lot here on BFT. Like you come out of listening to Yeezus feeling like you've gone on a full crazy journey and you don't need any more after that. BFT is a similar length and every time I get to Rain Come Down I'm like "oh, that's it?".

HiResDes

I better not see the people calling the Vince Staples record trash out here praising the next mediocre trap record that releases soon.

If I catch someone calling "Big Fish Theory" trash and then saying "This new Lil Peep/Lil Xanny/Lil Drug Reference lowkey fire tho", I'm going to give you a hard time.
Lil Peep's hook game is on another level and he's in a completely different lane, type of artist, barely making music within the same genre. BFT isn't a good trap album, it isn't even a trap album, Vince has never made trap album nor would he be very good at it. Whatever BFT is though is a definite step down for me considering the artist I loved has eschewed nearly everything I liked about him. I don't understand why it's so hard to understand. If Morrissey started making outlaw country music and he turned out to be okay at, I'd still be a disappointed at the switch up considering I was so in love with his previous style.

Lil Peep's hook game is on another level and he's in a completely different lane, type of artist, barely making music within the same genre. BFT isn't a good trap album, it isn't even a trap album, Vince has never made trap album nor would he be very good at it. Whatever BFT is though is a definite step down for me considering the artist I loved has eschewed nearly everything I liked about him. I don't understand why it's so hard to understand. If Morrissey started making outlaw country music and he turned out to be okay at, I'd still be a disappointed at the switch up considering I was so in love with his previous style.

wtf I thought torre was trolling with those names. Didn't know someone was actually called lil peep.

Ambivalent about the video but it's got energy alright.

Also Navraj sighting

1kqfkj.gif

The style choice isn't really the issue. It's that it's full of garbage songs and pretty indefensible lyrically.

There's like.. nothing there. Him and Playboi Carti are pretty much neck and neck if we're talking 2017 contributions to rap, and at least Carti's stuff slaps for reasons other than sampling Juicy J and he can put a hook together.
I kinda wonder what Nav's parents think about his career path. I can't imagine the parents of a kid named Navraj enjoying such classic bars like "She give me head outside a Toys'R'Us" and "Gotta black girl rolling off molly, gotta white bitch snorting off snow."

Also, what the fuck is that Carti analogy. Carti's stuff bangs because of the production behind him. I would be happy to get a Rocky-only version of this album because Carti's rhymes on this album are pretty garbage. Location is 50% "Tats on my neck and my arms", for Pete's sake. I know its an overblown analogy at this point, but Carti literally just raps about his money, his car, his bitches, and his drugs. He's talking about the same shit every trapper does. I'm getting nothing new from Carti, except different production. In Vince's case, the lyrics are definitely more simple in subject matter, focusing more on love and romance, but I can at least give him credit for changing up his subject matter. That, coupled with the production, shows a step towards evolution. He's an artist that became known for his tales of street life, like Danny Brown, and, with this album, he's shifting away from just being known as that guy.

In short, I think that it comes down to refinement versus experimentation. Carti made an above-average trap album* that's cast in the same mold as all these other trap albums and Vince really went out and tried something new. Vince admittedly doesn't 100% nail it (he doesn't appear for a lot of his album, it does end abruptly, the subject matter isn't handled with as much depth as "Summertime '06" or his mixtapes), but the hits outweigh the misses. That's why I'm giving it the edge.

*"above-average" for a trap album is me liking at least 50% of the tracks on the thing, or the tracks that I do like are so strong they outshine the weaker ones.

That's fair. I can understand the disappointment then.

Bronx-Man

Banned

torre baby, you know me well enough at this point to know that I think BFT and all them soundcloud bums sound like basura

I'm saying.

My man went from a gloomy crip to making poor attempts at rave and stadium music. I'm not buying it, literally.

Dereck

Flower Boy is Tyler's best album without question, considering how far away from great Goblin, Wolf and Cherry Bomb are, saying that this is his best album isn't hard to say at all.

It sounds like Cherry Bomb without the arbitrary quality tampering, intentional bad mixing and Yeezus/Death Grips copy-catting with some R&B thrown into it.

Flower Boy sounds like The Internet + Toro Y Moi with a lot of ideas from Cherry Bomb done correctly and professionally (that I don't necessarily care for).

It's the album that Tyler has been capable of for about 2 years now and the one that he finally came around to doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom