• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flower Boy is Tyler's best album without question, considering how far away from great Goblin, Wolf and Cherry Bomb are, saying that this is his best album isn't hard to say at all.

It sounds like Cherry Bomb without the arbitrary quality tampering, intentional bad mixing and Yeezus/Death Grips copy-catting with some R&B thrown into it.

Flower Boy sounds like The Internet + Toro Y Moi with a lot of ideas from Cherry Bomb done correctly and professionally (that I don't necessarily care for).

It's the album that Tyler has been capable of for about 2 years now and the one that he finally came around to doing.
Wolf is amazing you boo boo for sayin that.

Flower Boy is his best album instrumentally and even lyrically as well.

Dereck

Wolf is amazing you boo boo for sayin that.
Doris is better

5m2yDCI.png

Koozek

Yeah, I liked Wolf too, but I only like the melodic, Neptunes/N.E.R.D-y tracks from Tyler.

You know, there's something sad and comical about Tyler trying to tell people for years that he's gay, but nobody believing him. Could almost see this as a Chappelle Show sketch or something.

Koozek

I just can't get over Nicki's "Ay yo, bring in the blunt, Emily Blunt." line on the Calvin Harris album 😂😂😂

Lil Boat

Anyone have any good wireless headphone recommendations?

On that Amazon Prime sale they have Sony XB950B1 on sale for $98 but I feel like they would look stupid as fuck on my small head by the looks of them.

I'm not sure which intro I like more from this year, Forward from Tyler's new album or First Things First from Stormzy's album (which is the only Stormy song I like).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's no real other way to slice it, BFT is the premiere example of artists getting away with things because people like their other work. I stand by it, this would get ripped to shreds if people weren't into Vince's social media persona. If Vic Mensa put this out, which would be about as logical of a career move as it was for Vince Staples, y'all would be tearing this shit apart.

But nah, Vince puts some of the most lifeless verses/hooks of this year on some middling-to-decent production and it's top 5 this year? All y'all tripping.

also I dunno if anybody caught that episode of that HBO doc Defiant Ones yet but the archival footage they have here is gold. worth a watch for anybody interested in that 90s era with Dre.

Yeah I watched all 4 parts over the last 3 days and it was good. Considering I've heard Dre's story a hundred different times from a hundred different people, all the archival footage really made this, and running it parallel to Iovine's come up was interesting. Parts 2 and 3 are definitely the best since that's where a lot of the controversy and juicy stories happen. Part 4 was a bit boring because it's a whole lot of #WINNING, but the rise of piracy, streaming, and Dre's thoughts on the random Suge Knight pop up during the Straight Outta Compton ad campaign brought it back around.

It was such a heated era. The last 20 years of rap won't be able to produce anything nearly as compelling aside from maybe 50 Cent's warpath. It's for the best though.

Also it's not so much that I hate as I feel rather indifferent to it and don't understand how anyone could think it's a step forward for him.

As one of the people who's more positive on the album in this thread, I'd never call it a step forward. I like the sound and feel of the album, but Vince's verses are absolutely not as strong, or even as integral to the project as his best work. Unlike some in this thread though, I don't think he sounds lost at all, he's just not attacking the production with the same range of insight, maybe because he cant, maybe because he doesn't want to.

Only good thing off of "Stoney" is "Broken Whiskey Glass". Everything else is mediocre at best.
I cant name one song on Big Fish Theory as good as No Option or Big Lie.

Post's mixtape shits on BFT too. Money Made Do it, Monta, God Damn, Hollywood Dreams etc tunes on top of tunes.

Big Fish is super lukewarm man. I don't even hate it, I just would have never thought Vince was capable of something so damn forgettable.

There's no real other way to slice it, BFT is the premiere example of artists getting away with things because people like their other work. I stand by it, this would get ripped to shreds if people weren't into Vince's social media persona. If Vic Mensa put this out, which would be about as logical of a career move as it was for Vince Staples, y'all would be tearing this shit apart.

But nah, Vince puts some of the most lifeless verses/hooks of this year on some middling-to-decent production and it's top 5 this year? All y'all tripping.

Or maybe Vince is the better artist, and wondering why an inferior artist couldn't get away with the same thing is a lazy argument.

It's a very good album. It's a challenging album that won't win over the average rap fan...but that could have been said about his last album too. He clearly has no interest in playing it safe or doing what others think will advance his career. Do I think he probably needed to establishment himself with a standout, popular record to fall back on (think Kendrick, GKMC) before going let? Sure...but I think in dollar signs. Vince doesn't.

If you like garage, late 90s house shit, Detroit techno etc you'll probably fuck with the album.

No option. Mediocre.

Shit.
Oh wait, No Option was the other song that I kinda fucked with.
I cant name one song on Big Fish Theory as good as No Option or Big Lie.

Post's mixtape shits on BFT too. Money Made Do it, Monta, God Damn, Hollywood Dreams etc tunes on top of tunes.

Big Fish is super lukewarm man. I don't even hate it, I just would have never thought Vince was capable of something so damn forgettable.
If your intent was to make me feel perturbed, congratulations you've succeeded.

Denzel needs to put 32 Zel/Planet Shrooms back up on streaming services, because it's good. Here's hoping that "remaster" project ends up being completed this year.

HiResDes

Oh wait, No Option was the other song that I kinda fucked with.

If your intent was to make me feel perturbed, congratulations you've succeeded.

Denzel needs to put 32 Zel/Planet Shrooms back up on streaming services, because it's good. Here's hoping that "remaster" project ends up being completed this year.
No lie I agree him, especially on post mixtape and its really not challenging nor deep. I fuck with those genres CB and I can say the production is great but Vince himself is not very memorable at the same time. Carti does more with the beats he's given just because his hooks are so much more infectious. There are tons of so called trap artists who have specific strengths that would be better suited to tackle such a subgenre shift. I would go as far as to say Danny Brown is more successful with EDM even on Side B than Vince with the house and techno.

mooooose

No lie I agree him, especially on post mixtape and its really not challenging nor deep. I fuck with those genres CB and I can say the production is great but Vince himself is not very memorable at the same time. Carti does more with the beats he's given just because his hooks are so much more infectious. There are tons of so called trap artists who have specific strengths that would be better suited to tackle such a subgenre shift. I would go as far as to say Danny Brown is more successful with EDM even on Side B than Vince with the house and techno.
Idk about this.

Vince's taste is on point. The production is good. His flows aren't.

Side B is pretty trash. I had Old on repeat when it released, but when I went back last month, I didn't remember the majority of Side B (and for good reason, it's aged awfully).

I think BFT will age much more gracefully.

Or maybe Vince is the better artist, and wondering why an inferior artist couldn't get away with the same thing is a lazy argument.

It's a very good album. It's a challenging album that won't win over the average rap fan...but that could have been said about his last album too. He clearly has no interest in playing it safe or doing what others think will advance his career. Do I think he probably needed to establishment himself with a standout, popular record to fall back on (think Kendrick, GKMC) before going let? Sure...but I think in dollar signs. Vince doesn't.

If you like garage, late 90s house shit, Detroit techno etc you'll probably fuck with the album.

I guess deliberately reaching for the Coachella audience is challenging, in a way.

Do ya'll really like this album or do you just appreciate the effort?

Like....imagine Common dropping Universal Mind Control as his second album instead of Resurrection. That's what Vince is doing right now except he can't fall back on previous accolades to get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom