• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Kush

I've been crazy for IAMDDB since seeing her live, such a smooth voice and she doesn't hide her Mancunian accent either which makes her even more charming.

She just launched her own label and self published her new EP, she's coming up fast.

You should check out S4U, they've got a similar vibe.

Yes mate! I am obsessed with her at the moment too. Something really sexy about her as well. I'm like the new EP, but it's definitely a bit different from previous works. It has more of a trappy-er sound, more swagged out with her being on her "gangsta" tip, a departure from her earlier Urban Jazz sound. Her Mancunian accent is great too. Will definitely check out S4U.

not feeling this corbin album

the production is super interesting but the actual lyrics... meh

listening to his slurred wails echo got old for me after a couple tracks

riotous

Banned
I doubt you will "get" Corbin if you haven't been there before

A lot of the lyricism is delusional and obsessive in nature.

Corbin is breathtaking... It's like a musical version of me, if that makes sense.

giphy.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Battle rap movie "Bodied" to feature new music from Eminem and Dr. Dre.

The film, which is directed by Joseph Khan, and stars battle rap mainstays like Loaded Lux, Dizaster, Dumbfoundead and Hollow Da Don, and actors such as Anthony Michael Hall, Debra Wilson, Charlamagne Tha God, Alter Perez, Rory Uphold, Jackie Long, Callum Worthy and Shoniqua Shanda, is billed as a battle rap comedy. With the movie being so heavily musically motivated, it’s only right that the soundtrack be proper.
According to the The Hollywood Reporter, who recently spoke with Khan, “By the time it’s bought and ready for distribution (ICM is selling worldwide rights), Eminem will contribute a number of songs to the soundtrack. [Em and longtime manager Paul Rosenburg] have enlisted Dr. Dre for a couple of songs.”

PlayDat

Make it a top 10 projects of all time.

It's high time the GAF Hall of Fame got an update.

Okay I took a crack at this. Tried to strike a balance between stuff I consistently go back to and stuff that I think everyone should listen to at least once. Alphabetical order by artist name.

The Alchemist - Russian Roulette
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Danny Brown - XXX
De La Soul - Stakes is High
Digable Planets - Blowout Comb
GZA - Liquid Swords
Kanye West - Yeezus
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Maad City
Lauryn Hill - Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

It looks a little fuckboyish, but I like what I like.

Edit
Trailer looks... not great. Hope the movie comes out better.

Vorheez

Didn't mean to make light of serious mental issues, my bad.
All good dude, we all gotta be able to laugh a little in order to take away some of the power of those mental issues. One of the most effective ways of dealing with my obsessions/delusions is to have my friends poke fun at the absurdity of my thoughts (not in a malicious way). This allows me to relax and view my thoughts as separate from myself, and therefore not defining who I am.

FZZ

Banned
I fuck with the latter half of this Corbin tape alongside the title track

everything else was wailing where the lyrics didn't leave me with a strong impact and the melodies were kinda whack too, but this latter side of the tape is really really good

and I think the similarity people are finding between him and sampha are because they have the same singing style. They both wail and use their throat similarly in conjunction with the proper exhale you need from singing.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
That bet on Let Me Breathe is so stupid. Almost caught the ghost enough to C-walk out of my wheelchair.

That Ross verse on 9-24-7000 though. All my niggas down, we lookin like Fu-Schnickens.

K. Jack you might fuck with the Paloma Beach album I posted a couple pages back. He definitely operates on a similar tempo as Lute.
He's not as dope though whatsoever.

Ended us checkin him out fam, kid is nice. I can't fault him.

E-40 is top 5 all time

this mans longevity

BIIIIAATCH

Sure.

Okay I took a crack at this. Tried to strike a balance between stuff I consistently go back to and stuff that I think everyone should listen to at least once. Alphabetical order by artist name.

Danny Brown - XXX
GZA - Liquid Swords
Kanye West - Yeezus

Blowout Comb? Nice.

T Dollarz

Danny Brown - XXX
GZA - Liquid Swords
Kanye West - Yeezus

It looks a little fuckboyish, but I like what I like.

Edit

Trailer looks... not great. Hope the movie comes out better.

I fucks with this list heavy. Only album on there that hasn't had a big impact on me is that De La

Just an aside, Des, I listened to the two albums you recced:

The Larry League didn't do much for me, unfortunately, but I'm really liking this Drain Gang compilation. It's the perfect mix of autotune, heavy vibes, and competent rapping.

HiResDes

Just an aside, Des, I listened to the two albums you recced:

The Larry League didn't do much for me, unfortunately, but I'm really liking this Drain Gang compilation. It's the perfect mix of autotune, heavy vibes, and competent rapping.
Bless up for the listens alone though.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think Kendrick is going to start receiving backlash soon, Damn being overrated/a poor follow-up, this whole XXXtencacion mess, I wonder what else will happen.

I think Kendrick is going to start receiving backlash soon, Damn being overrated/a poor follow-up, this whole XXXtencacion mess, I wonder what else will happen.
This couldn't be more wrong.

Damn might be overrated, but nobody but us hardcore music nerds really give a shit and even then, it's a minuscule group yelling that. And more importantly about the X stuff, Kendrick might get some backlash about that, one or two awkward interview questions about this, but at this rate, he's experienced enough & popular enough to have some top-notch PR folks on speed dial who will help him deflect the shit out of that.

Nothing is going to happen to him, and he's going to be Your Resident Inexperienced Rap Fan's favorite rapper till the day he dies.

Kendrick just released the biggest album of his career, and probably the best (which isn't saying much). Sold out arena tour, double platinum album that will be triple platinum soon, #1 song, multiple songs charting still...he's not going anywhere. And white critics are in love with him. Literally. Which is weird because normally critics highlight rappers who elevate the genre and Kendrick hasn't done that. Compared to Kanye what impact does he have on rap music, the direction of of the genre, etc? He's like the least influential "great" rapper of all time.

TLOP in stores now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom