• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eos

The Weeknd's new album will be great background music for those family parties you have to satisfy everyone's taste.

There are some good tracks there, but mostly are forgettable.
Yeah 18 tracks is a bit too much but it's better than bbtm. Lana, kdot, and fewtch all killed their features.

Nibel

Another recycle bin blassic by our boy Abel

i9dh0twmedqapcus5l.gif

PlayDat

Haha. Song is ridiculous. Cam goes into a gross horror-core territory at the end of his verse, but overall he sounds good here.

That article has a wack rapgenius kind of vibe. However, I do agree that No Church in the Wild is one of the high points on Watch the Throne. It does a great job of setting up what listeners can expect from the rest of the album.

BTW, I feel like he bonus tracks on WTT don't get enough recognition. I usually don't mess with deluxe editions, but I'm glad I did with that one. They elevate that album from a 3 to about a 4/5.

Haha. Song is ridiculous. Cam goes into a gross horror-core territory at the end of his verse, but overall he sounds good here.

That article has a wack rapgenius kind of vibe. However, I do agree that No Church in the Wild is one of the high points on Watch the Throne. It does a great job of setting up what listeners can expect from the rest of the album.

BTW, I feel like he bonus tracks on WTT don't get enough recognition. I usually don't mess with deluxe editions, but I'm glad I did with that one. They elevate that album from a 3 to about a 4/5.
See, I understand the beef some people have with Rapgenius, and I even share some of it hence why I didn't use it for the longest.
But essentially everything he say's in that article is true or at least fits perfectly in a way that needs no stretching (Jay isn't obfuscating enough for that to happen).

I believe he misses these pieces though:

On the Socrates/Plato line Jay's either positioning himself as the Plato carrying on Socrates's (Biggies) memory with how he'll use his bars occasionally (I believe Jay mentioned this in decoded) or/and positioning Kanye as the Plato to Jay's Socrates.

And the "All for Plato line", doubles as setting the scene for Jay and Kanye at a concert, so he's essentially shouting out to the crowd/asking them to scream for him and Kanye, hence his use of (screech), and the (screech) is also supposed to be the crowds/listeners answer to his philosophical question.

(Also, the screech as a signal for the car screeching and Jay getting mentally shook back to his usual braggadocio self is very similar to how Jay uses 'turbulence' on the BDKM Remix)

And when he's uses the sneakers line it's just not the metaphor described in the post, but also a continuation of Jay dancing at the concert, and (sneaks) also doubles as Jay's business moves he makes to be balling like he is.

And him flowing the Holy Ghost is rapping to the crowd and what he instills in them, which also positions himself as god like figure, and telling them to get out of their seats and dance is the end of that like people filled with the holy ghost at church is the end of that.

(Jay has a very similar line to this on Heaven)

And preach is supposed to be the punctuation to the verse, and Jay telling himself to preach, telling us to preach, and telling Frank Ocean to preach on the hook.

Super dope stuff.

Are any of Tech N9ne albums actually worth listening to? I've never been able to get with any of his material due to the production values and the lyrics, but apparently his early stuff was different? Am I missing anything that is unfairly slept on?

EDIT: Nah, everything I heard on his first two albums are as mediocre as everything else.

On a brighter note, Dare Iz A Darkside may just be my favorite Redman album. One thing for sure, his first three albums are all 9/10 albums for me. Redman is insanely underrated and doesn't get enough credit.

PlayDat

Remember that kid A-F-R-O? RA The Rugged Man was showing him the game in way. He introduced Afro to bunch of legends. Here's the first Coli thread I read about him (there have been a few): "A-F-R-O" A 17-Year-Old Artist Trying To Reignite The Golden Age Of Hip Hop?. The title of that thread should give you a sense of how he raps. I’ve been listening to his EP, Tales From the Basement and it’s exactly what you’d expect for better or worse.

He clearly has a deep respect for the genre’s roots, but it’s really not a good idea to go in expecting him to be on par with any of the greats from that era. I don’t think he excels in any particular area. He can rap real fast, but on #CODE 829 he demonstrates how that ability can have diminishing returns. There are parts of the second half of that song that are practically unintelligible due to his delivery. For most of the EP, it’s easy to make out what he’s saying. Unfortunately, he doesn’t seem to have much to relay. He’s more concerned with dropping SAT words for their own sake rather than using them as a tool to create something interesting. I think Afro’s at his best on Animal Kingdom mainly because he’s taking it easy. It’s a fun story telling track with a nice beat. A couple of songs on here have noticeably bad production. I assumed his relationship with RA would have helped him establish good relationships with a bunch of producers. Maybe it did since most of the beats are at least serviceable. It's just that the few bad ones really stick out.

That thread I linked is over a year old, so Afro should be closer to 18 by now. He has plenty of time to develop. I’m still optimistic about what he’ll sound like in a couple of years as he hones his skills.

IrishNinja

Nas making a pro-castro statement and then having to edit/walk it back several times as tons of fans came in to check that smart-dumb nonsense tonight...i don't echo some of ya'll herbs with this statement, but the god took an L tonight

which as a fan who used to read the source in the day, i can tell you most of the traditional top 10 artists who had more than a page or two to speak on said some dumb political shit at one point, it's like a time-honored tradition. KRS celebrating the death of 9-11 victims was a classy one, for instance.

Just left an Aesop Rock group on facebook, was fucking horrid.
Nas making a pro-castro statement and then having to edit/walk it back several times as tons of fans came in to check that smart-dumb nonsense tonight...i don't echo some of ya'll herbs with this statement, but the god took an L tonight

which as a fan who used to read the source in the day, i can tell you most of the traditional top 10 artists who had more than a page or two to speak on said some dumb political shit at one point, it's like a time-honored tradition. KRS celebrating the death of 9-11 victims was a classy one, for instance.
Nas is smart-dumb, don't look towards him for any real commentary, it's always been this way.
Don't look to Jay either for that matter, though he's not smart-dumb, he just makes some off statements once in a while.

Glass Rebel

had to google what this is about and got me narcos spoiled

Koozek

Been saying that Nas is smart-dumb.

And yooo, just googled that KRS-One thing.

PlayDat

KRS-One’s comments on Bambaata after the pedophilia came to light, were sad reminder. I need to go back and listen to that Drink Champs episode in full sometime. It probably sounds just as bad in context. He wrote a book back in ‘09 called The Gospel of Hip-Hop: The First Instrument. An 832 page tome wherein according to the Goodreads page
Goodreads said:
He explains Hip Hop down to the actual meaning and linguistic history of the words “hip” and “hop,” and describes the ways in which "Hiphoppas" can change their current circumstances to create a future that incorporates Health, Love, Awareness, and Wealth (H-LAW).
His AllHipHop interview
KRS-One said:
I can approach God directly myself and so I wrote a book called The Gospel of Hip Hop to free from all this nonsense garbage right now. respect the Christianity, the Islam, the Judaism but their time is up.

KRS-One said:
It’s definitely controversial because I’m also saying I’m willing to give up my African-American-ness to become Hip-Hop
KRS-One said:
In a hundred years, everything that I’m saying to you will be common knowledge and people will be like, ‘Why did he have to explain this? Wasn’t it obvious?’
Dude, I wish someone had the temerity to make it through the whole thing. It’s gotta have some real gems.

Irish, are you willing to share your thoughts on the Tribe album? I would have thought you of all people would be its most vocal evangelist. I understand if you need more time to think on it though.

OG Kush

KRS-One’s comments on Bambaata after the pedophilia came to light, were sad reminder. I need to go back and listen to that Drink Champs episode in full sometime. It probably sounds just as bad in context. He wrote a book back in ‘09 called The Gospel of Hip-Hop: The First Instrument. An 832 page tome wherein according to the Goodreads page

His AllHipHop interview

Dude, I wish someone had the temerity to make it through the whole thing. It’s gotta have some real gems.

Irish, are you willing to share your thoughts on the Tribe album? I would have thought you of all people would be its most vocal evangelist. I understand if you need more time to think on it though.

Damn I didn't know KRS One has lost the plot this bad. What did he say about Bambaata in relation to the pedophilia stuff?

Just left an Aesop Rock group on facebook, was fucking horrid.

Nas is smart-dumb, don't look towards him for any real commentary, it's always been this way.
Don't look to Jay either for that matter, though he's not smart-dumb, he just makes some off statements once in a while.

What happened with the Aesop group?

Also, lol at looking at rappers for politics. I feel the same way about most celebrities and artists, though.

Koozek

His AllHipHop interview

L
O
L

IrishNinja

yeah, i mean we all know not to go to rappers for political views, but damn just seeing him line up to check that "revolutionary" box again without even thinking about the cuban peoples he wants to champion there...then again, much of the OT thread did the same i guess

it's a lot, to be honest. very definition of bittersweet.

going in i already had apologist type mindset, because let's be honest: how many times does "getting the gang back together" (much less after 18 years) go well? you usually get rehashed stuff too afraid to break away from classic material, or going so far in the other direction you create a product nobody - old school or new - wants. see: Compton, A Better Tomorrow, whatever Em has done in the last 10 years or so etc.

but this thing hits the ground running, and while i actually like what pitchfork said about it not sounding like '93 or '16, it actually feels like picking up where they left off: coolout shit with a message that's not preachy about it. and unlike that time the Beasties decided to rant about Bush, this is the kinda stuff they've been on since in the day...so some of it is powerful shit, and crazy relevant, but even that's kinda depressing cause you realize how little we've made it since then too.

Tip is one of my all-time favorite MC's, and we actually get more out of Phife than i expected too...crazy heartbreaking reading that interview about them just patching things up & having such a great time in the studio, no one even noticed him being ill. Jerobi holds his own, Cons gets time (but not too much like Beats, Rhymes & Life), and their students - Kendrick, 3 stacks etc - show up and have solid contributions too. Busta's been like operating at half his old chakra levels forever now, but you literally couldn't do this without him on it (like, imagine a proper "final" Wu album without a good reggie verse).

it kinda goes of in its own direction towards the end, but i feel like that's always been part of the formula too.

i expected a bookend album that you love for what it represents (but don't really bump much), and i got hands-down my AOTY. i think the vinyl drops a few days before xmas, and i couldn't be happier.

Damn I didn't know KRS One has lost the plot this bad. What did he say about Bambaata in relation to the pedophilia stuff?

He basically said that as the founder of hip hop, Bambatta is an important leader/historical figure and thus above reproach because if he falls then hip hop falls. Basically the typical defenses you hear from cult members after the leader is accused of a crime. Disgusting.

He basically said that as the founder of hip hop, Bambatta is an important leader/historical figure and thus above reproach because if he falls then hip hop falls. Basically the typical defenses you hear from cult members after the leader is accused of a crime. Disgusting.

Really? The founder?

PlayDat

it's a lot, to be honest. very definition of bittersweet.

going in i already had apologist type mindset, because let's be honest: how many times does "getting the gang back together" (much less after 18 years) go well? you usually get rehashed stuff too afraid to break away from classic material, or going so far in the other direction you create a product nobody - old school or new - wants. see: Compton, A Better Tomorrow, whatever Em has done in the last 10 years or so etc.

but this thing hits the ground running, and while i actually like what pitchfork said about it not sounding like '93 or '16, it actually feels like picking up where they left off: coolout shit with a message that's not preachy about it. and unlike that time the Beasties decided to rant about Bush, this is the kinda stuff they've been on since in the day...so some of it is powerful shit, and crazy relevant, but even that's kinda depressing cause you realize how little we've made it since then too.

Tip is one of my all-time favorite MC's, and we actually get more out of Phife than i expected too...crazy heartbreaking reading that interview about them just patching things up & having such a great time in the studio, no one even noticed him being ill. Jerobi holds his own, Cons gets time (but not too much like Beats, Rhymes & Life), and their students - Kendrick, 3 stacks etc - show up and have solid contributions too. Busta's been like operating at half his old chakra levels forever now, but you literally couldn't do this without him on it (like, imagine a proper "final" Wu album without a good reggie verse).

it kinda goes of in its own direction towards the end, but i feel like that's always been part of the formula too.

i expected a bookend album that you love for what it represents (but don't really bump much), and i got hands-down my AOTY. i think the vinyl drops a few days before xmas, and i couldn't be happier.

Awesome! It's only been a little over 4 years since I first listened to any of their albums. The build up wasn't there for me. I'm digging it as well, but I know oldheads are gonna appreciate it more than I can.

OG Kush

Got a link to that interview?

illadelph

I was actually blown away by Busta. It was like a Busta from an alternate timeline when he never left The Leaders of the New School and stayed on that Native Tongue, dungeon dragon shit for his whole career, in the best way possible.

busta rhymes came alive for like the first time in a decade

like that nigga was just building meter all these years when you thought he was washed

IrishNinja

wow this page is so dusty

says a man playing final fantasy games in 2016

Got a link to that interview?

right here

I was actually blown away by Busta. It was like a Busta from an alternate timeline when he never left The Leaders of the New School and stayed on that Native Tongue, dungeon dragon shit for his whole career, in the best way possible.

yeah, see i liked that abstract & the dragon or whatever mixtape a little while back, but there were a few tracks where i legit thought he bordering on GZA levels of laziness, which i gave a pass but this is that dude who went from that dungeon dragon shit to WOO HAH! keepin you all in check, so i had to adjust a bit...but you're not wrong, this is some of his best stuff in forever

I mean I could've told you that shit and Im not a doctor

yeah, also this

says a man playing final fantasy games in 2016

right here

yeah, see i liked that abstract & the dragon or whatever mixtape a little while back, but there were a few tracks where i legit thought he bordering on GZA levels of laziness, which i gave a pass but this is that dude who went from that dungeon dragon shit to WOO HAH! keepin you all in check, so i had to adjust a bit...but you're not wrong, this is some of his best stuff in forever

yeah, also this
Me, playing final fantasy? Da fukk?

Im a kingdom Hearts man watch how you speak on my name

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Starboy is trying so hard to be so many different things but nothing really sticks even though the production is pretty straight. Sometimes he's trying to channel MJ, sometimes Fewtch, sometimes general general electronic pop. Starboy, Six Feet Under, False Alarm (hook especially) and maybe A Lonely Night and Sidewalks if it didn't have the autotune.

Balloons of Haus continues to be the best Weeknd album. Frank Ocean continues to lose.

PlayDat

Apparently Chuuwee’s released not one, but five projects this year.

AmeriKKa’s Most Blunted 2 with Trizz

Commerce EP

Super Supreme (Bonus Edition) with Saltreze

Economics

It’s odd that his fanbase hasn’t grown much over the years given how much talent he’s shown. I admit having not listened to anything he did outside of Watching the Throne and his Russian Roulette verse. That mixtape was really good (Joe Jackson in particular stood out), but he may have fallen off by now for all I know.

Nabs

So in other Nas news.. GAF help me on this one. I'm not sure if this is old but I heard a Gucci Mane song called "changed my phone" that is supposed to be a Nas diss? Please tell me this is not real. I mean would it even be worth Nas to respond if so?

I don't know if he did or not, but he has taken (careless) shots in the past.

Finally getting caught up on some 2016 stuff. New Ka is great, Jeffery didn't really catch my attention on first listen, Everybody Looking is probably still my favorite rap album this year. Or if you took the best from SS3 and I'm Up.

Eos

So in other Nas news.. GAF help me on this one. I'm not sure if this is old but I heard a Gucci Mane song called "changed my phone" that is supposed to be a Nas diss? Please tell me this is not real. I mean would it even be worth Nas to respond if so?
I remember he was calling gnauze broke a couple of years back lol

HiResDes

Apparently Chuuwee’s released not one, but five projects this year.

AmeriKKa’s Most Blunted 2 with Trizz

Commerce EP

Super Supreme (Bonus Edition) with Saltreze

Economics

It’s odd that his fanbase hasn’t grown much over the years given how much talent he’s shown. I admit having not listened to anything he did outside of Watching the Throne and his Russian Roulette verse. That mixtape was really good (Joe Jackson in particular stood out), but he may have fallen off by now for all I know.
He fell off and showed absolutely no growth while still saying passe shit like Faggot and racist 90s slang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom