• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2015 Hip-Hop Awards | Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xHiryu

Probably late, but idgaf

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
3. Future - DS2 / 56 Nights / Beast Mode
4. GoldLink - And After That, We Didn't Talk
5. Young Thug - Barter 6
6. Fabolous - Summertime Shootout
7. Daye Jack - Soul Glitch
8. Travis Scott - Rodeo
9. Drake & Future - What A Time To Be Alive
10. Curren$y - Pilot Talk III / Canal Street Confidental

Artist/Group of the Year: Future
Producer of the Year: Metro Boomin
Rookie of the Year: Daye Jack
Feature Killer of the Year: Future
"L" of the Year: Tyga
Biggest Disappointment: Frank Ocean's disappearance and 90059
Intro of the Year: Digital Dash

JohnDoe

Banned
AOTY:

1.Future - DS2
2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
3. Future - 56 Nights
4. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow Of A Doubt
5. Future - Beast Mode
6. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
7. Young Thug - Barter 6
8. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
9. Fetty Wap - Fetty Wap
10. Curren$y - Pilot Talk III

Artist/Group of the Year: Future
Producer of the Year: Metro Boomin
Rookie of the Year: Fetty Wap
Feature Killer of the Year: Future
"L" of the Year: Tyga's album going Triple Cork and basically his whole life
Biggest Disappointment: Travis Scott being successful
Intro of the Year: Thought It Was A Drought

JohnDoe

Banned
L of the year, to pimp a Butterfly

troll.png

Top 10 Albums of The Year

akjLz6M.jpg

1. Ka - Days With Dr. Yen Lo ; 4 Points

Grown man crime thriller rap. Atmospheric and minimalist production serves as the foundation for dense verses that I find myself unpacking a little more with each listen. Ka had my AOTY in 2013 with The Night's Gambit, and he has it again in 2015.

1Jb541B.jpg

2. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow Of A Doubt ; 3 Points

Freddie Gibbs back in that modern, heavier, melodic lane he does so well after last year's Madlib produced, rap heavy, rapid fire blaxploitation soundtrack that was Pinata. I really liked that album, but Shadow of A Doubt features even more of what Gibbs does that I think makes him such a great artist. Bouncing back and forth between buttery flows, this project is a showcase for nearly every style he's toyed with in his career so far, and has one of the best opening and closing track runs of the year. Smoothest hard music in hip hop right now.

3. Vince Staples - Summertime '06 ; 3 Points
Z8Vg0gH.jpg

Vince Staples' earnest and unglamourizing hood tales steeped in the energy and haze of Long Beach California is the spine of this strong, well paced album full of great production, including one of the most cavernous hip-hop beats in recent memory on Norf Norf. Great album.

VEUfWVU.jpg

4. Curren$y - Canal Street Confidential ; 2 Points

Who would have thought that in the same year Currensy drops Pilot Talk 3, his more commercialized major label album would be the one on my year end list. Though Canal Street Confidential still brings the wavy music we've come to expect, the vibe of this one features less "bank heist speed boat lavish beach party fast life", and more trap rhythms and bouncy flows that make you think "Oh, right, he is from New Orleans."

Bg5c801.jpg

5. Young Thug - Barter 6 ; 2 Points

Of the 3 projects and hundreds of songs Young Thug put out (or had leaked) last year, Barter 6 is the one I feel most strongly about as a body of work. Odd flows, strange vocal ticks, garbled nonsensical bars, INFECTIOUS hooks, and subdued beats come together to produce a mental image of that fighting cloud you see in Looney Toons or Popeye cartoons with hands and feet and things flying everywhere. I'm not really making sense, but neither does this album so whatever. Ultimately, It shows what rap, as a form, can do.

HAV1IB6.jpg

6. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly ; 2 Points

THE album of 2015. The one that will be remembered most fondly, the one that has been and will continue to be discussed the most. To be honest, it's probably the most capital "g" Great album on my list. Thick jazz fusion / funk style hip-hop production, meticulous album and song structure, nuanced lyricism, a myriad of different flows and vocal styles; Kendrick Lamar cements his name as one of the kings of hip-hop right now. Does that mean I like it as much as Good Kid, M.A.A.D City? Nah, but I recognize what the album is, and I do still really like it.

l01Y0HZ.jpg

7. BONES - Banshee ; 1 Point

BONES is the epitome of lights off zone out nighttime hip-hop for me right now. Floating melodies, heavy effects, depressing samples. Embrace the darkness.

xg4cFIp.jpg

8. Nacho Picasso & Blue Sky Black Death - Stoned & Dethroned ; 1 Point

The always entertaining Nacho Picasso once again laying his art/entertainment reference heavy braggadocio bars over ethereal Blue Sky Black Death music. Hasn't left the rotation for just about a year.

NEPJI7h.jpg

9. Warm Brew - Ghetto Beach Boyz ; 1 Point

New West meets Old West as Warm Brew gives us a modern take on breezy BBQ/driving albums of the 90s without completely falling into revival or homage. Good music.

aD3SJ4A.jpg

10. Future - DS2 ; 1 Point

I just fucked your bitch in some Gucci flip flops

Top 10 Songs of The Year

1. Ka - Day 0 ; 4 Points
2. Kendrick Lamar - How Much A Dollar Cost ; 3 Points
3. Freddie Gibbs - Careless ; 3 Points
4. Curren$y - Alert (feat. Styles P) ; 2 Points
5. Young Thug - Just Might Be ; 2 Points
6. The Doppelgangaz - Scintilla ; 2 Points
7. BONES - FirstNightInTheWoods ; 1 Point
8. The Game - The Documentary 2 ; 1 Point
9. Future - Stick Talk ; 1 Point
10. Vince Staples - Norf Norf ; 1 Point

Honorable Songs:

Drake - 6 Man
Nacho Picasso - In The Trump
Mac Miller - Rush Hour
Rick Ross - Silk Road
Curren$y & Freddie Gibbs- Fetti
Sheisty Khrist and LoFidel - Dreams
Daye Jack - First Glitch
Billy Woods - Sleep

HiResDes

I got it down to 12 and I've been listening to these 12 albums like crazy and I literally cannot whittle down any further right now.

Best year in ages for me, I can actually fill out top ten lists and have a ton of leftovers that I love just as much.
image.png

Album of the Year

1. To Pimp a Butterfly; 4 points
2. Tetsuo & Youth; 3 points
3. Slime Season ; 3 points
4. DS2 ; 2 points
5. Barter 6 ; 2 points
6. Halloween Havoc 2; 2 points
7. Slime Season 2; 1 point
8. What A Time to be Alive ; 1 point
9. TRAPSOUL; 1 point
10. If You're Reading This It's Too Late; 1 point

Song of the Year

1. We on the Go!! - Slum Village
2. My Baby – Young Thug
3. Madonna – Lupe Fiasco
4. These Walls – Kendrick Lamar
5. Draw Down – Young Thug
6. Blow A Bag - Future
7. Diamonds Dancing – Drake & Future
8. Nowadays – Lloyd Banks
9. Numbers – Young Thug
10. Body of Work – Lupe Fiasco

Individual Categories -

Artist/Group of the Year – Young Thug
* Producer of the Year – London On Da Track
* Rookie of the Year – Daye Jack
* Intro of the Year (Bonus) – Wesley’s Theory

PlayDat

I strongly considered putting Paw Due Respect in my top ten songs. Blood Diamonds showed a lot of restraint compared to most of the other remixers and the final product came out surprisingly good. Toned down cat noises are still cat noises though. It's also still just a remix of a song I was already very familiar with so I decided to leave it out.

Just posting my list because I learned it ain't worth the time to write these long essays if barely no one comments on them.

1. Cold Winter (Sheisty Khrist x Lo Fidel) & The Miner's Canary (Akua Naru)
3. Origin by Vanilla
4. The Rapture: Live from Oaklandia by Zion I
5. The Good Fight by Oddisee
6. Mixed Jawns III by Small Professor
7. Phantom Limbs by Sadistik x Kno
8. Czarface II: Every Hero Needs a Villain by Inspectah Deck, 7L & Estoric
9. Another Time by DJ EFN
10. Time? Astonishing! by L'Orange & Kool Keith
11. Words Paint Pictures by Rapper Big Pooh

Was going to put To Pimp a Butterfly on here, but it doesn't need the help.

Hip Hop

Both Future and Drake haven't made cohesive and quality albums since Honest/Nothing Was The Same imo. Maybe that will change once they stop selling mixtapes as albums? We'll see. So off my top 10 albums they go. They had fun tracks here and there though.
Number one album, I had to no doubt give it to Kendrick. After his debut album (GKMC), I knew he had potential to become a legendary artist but the album wasn't quite there for me. TPAB came and put that stamp on Kendrick forever. This is a type of album that Hip-Hop brings every 5 years or so. It's among the elite albums like Nas Ilmatic, Jay'z Blueprint, Common's BE, Kanye's Dark Fantasy, etc. It's a type of album that will still be relevant in 10 years. The cohesiveness of the theme, the music, the lyrics, it's all done to a tee here. I just can't see this being topped in a while, even Kendrick will have a hard time with that one.

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
2. Pusha T - King Push: Darkest Before Dawn
3. Jeezy - Church in These Streets
4. Jay Rock - 90059
5. Travis Scott - Rodeo
6. Rick Ross - Black Market
7. Meek Mill - Dreams Worth More Than Money
8. Joey Badass - B4.Da.$$
9. Fashawn - The Ecology
10. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside: An Album by Earl Sweatshirt

I put a slight emphasis on tracks outside of my top 10 albums.

1. Kendrick Lamar - Institutionilized
2. Fashawn - Letter F
3. Havoc - Best of the Best
4. A$AP Ferg - Tatted Angel
5. Freddie Gibbs - Fuckin' Up the Count
6. Young Thug - Check
7. Drake / Future - Scholarships
8. Earl Sweatshirt - Grief
9. Large Professor - Own World
10. Hit-Boy - Automatically

Intro of the Year - Pusha T - Intro

Artist/Group of the Year - Kendrick Lamar
Producer of the Year - London On Da Track
"L" of the Year - Meek Mill
Biggest Disappointment - The Game - The Documentary 2

HiResDes

Not sure of the exact order:

nTccETK.jpg

Kendrick Lamar/ T.P.A.B. - Even though I think it gets just a bit too pedantic in spots, I can't think of many albums that are able to touch on the subject matter with the same sort of heavy handedness that don't have the same faults. It's well nuanced in way that makes it both extremely personal and socially relevant and I think it's even more ambitious than GKMC overall. Definitely not as polished or immediately engaging, but the ambition and depth is impressive alone. It also comes off a bit rawer and more emotive in ways. To be able to come out with an album in 2015 that tackles the current racial hysteria and manage to sound (when it's successful) like modern amalgam of Blowout Comb and Tupac is very notable in my eyes.

8e9dbacfa348bfa5e172.jpg

$ha Hef/Super Villain - Usually when you hear a gangsta rap tape there will always be these big breaks in character to try and show a softer side, allude to a desire to change, or create something for the ladies (or radio). $ha Hef is unabashedly set in his ways and in portraying thug life in the most accurate and blunt fashion. In turn the pure savage nature of his descriptions and grimy atmosphere that he sets up gives subtle hints that his life isn't exactly anything to boast about, but at the same time he refuses to relent and buries his psyche in this super villain role as a refuge against the tragic, brutal nature of his work. He's aware and then willfully deluded in the next second. He's highly successful in translating the imagery and title of the album to its concept.

8XA9f8D.jpg

Future/Dirty Sprite 2 - DS2 is the culmination of Future's nihilistic opiate-fueled run, and despite a few lackluster bonus tracks it proves to be arguably his most potent and concentrated effort solidifying all of the attributes which set him apart from all the other Atlanta trap rappers while concealing most of his weaknesses. The more I listen to it the more I appreciate the imagery, which while never quite deep or astute proves to be quite vivid and possesses a base poetic nature that is undeniably charming.

7eKkMHO.jpg

Vince Staples/Summertime 06 - Summertime 06 perfectly encapsulates the irony of summer, when it's bright and warm out more violence seems to occur, the heat is a medium for flaring tempers and kindling passions and emotion...Vince has never sounded more passionate and well rounded than on this project, though the subject matter still says within his comfort zone as an artist the lines are challenged on this effort. He manages to perfectly encapsulate a period of time in his life in way that's both relatable and evocative.

4DO68lT.jpg

Billy Woods/Today I Wrote Nothing - Billy captures these vignettes of feeling and experience with a collage of storytelling and symbolism, shifting and colliding within itself like a collapsing tower of emotion. Today, I Wrote Nothing is the aural version of what a John Cassavetes directed Spike Lee film might feel like. Billy's lyricism is simultaneously concise, poignant, and powerful. Furthermore, there's no one rapping quite like him, which is an impressive feat considering the lack of novelty in the exhausted genre.

GYUQo5Q.png

Earl Sweatshirt/I Don't Like Shit I Don't Go Outside - Earl's lyricism is bleak, depressing, and alarmingly paranoid, this is the most sustained emotion he's shown in a while and at its high points it's brilliant. This album has grew on me exponentially. I find myself gravitating to it whenever I feel reclusive or depressed. It's definitely late night headphone rap.

05gM6iD.jpg

Freddie Gibbs/Shadow of a Doubt - It's pretty much a flawless marriage of his earlier somewhat downtempo melodic style and his more recent trap influenced mixtape output. Freddie's range is arguably most apparent on Shadow of a Doubt. He enlists a motley crew of rappers to feature on these tracks, and they're are a few moments where it feels like he's really trying to experiment with his sound, but the basic formula of what makes Gibbs special is ever present and very rarely does it feel like he's pandering.

kAGi8hC.jpg

Earthgang/Strays With Rabies - While it would be easy to try and downplay the quality of the album's coming of age story by comparing it to other great hip-hop album, namely G.K.M.C., doing so would serve as a great injustice. The internal struggle plaguing the artists is portrayed with a spirituality and poeticism that is unique and personal despite the similarities in the general story arc. Definitely the sleeper rap album of the year in my opinion.

2uSipvN.jpg

Lil Ugly Mane/Oblivion Access - It's one of the most depressing and honest projects of the year. It's nihilistic and is astute representation of the horrors of the internet age. It's grown on me like a plague, it's the R Plus Seven of the rap world capturing the chaos of the modern computer age with its onset of immediate gratification and proliferating of mass misinformation.

ItqYW4T.jpg

Quelle Chris/Innocent Counry - The album's brilliance is understated, easily glazed over and lost within its somewhat traditional boom-bap assets. Chris' subtle humor and subdued yet often poignant social commentaries are on full display with this album, which is deceptively deep and thought provoking under its veil of sarcasm and irony.

HONORABLE MENTION:
348nV1Y.jpg

Warm Brew/Ghetto Beach Boys - Originally in my top ten, this is my feel good rap album of the year with his summery nostalgia laden breezy rap sound. When you're on the way to mall, to the club, to your jumpoff's house, or just out to enjoy the ride in of itself this the type of the album that you'll find yourself gravitating to over and over again. I've just been in a sort of shit mood and it's not quite resonating with me as much as it usually does and I just happened to have made my top ten within this period.

ALBUMS

1. To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar ; 4 points
2. Summertime '06 - Vince Staples ; 3 points
3. The Powers that B - Death Grips ; 3 points
4. Days with Dr. Yen Lo - Ka ; 2 points
5. 32 Zel - Denzel Curry ; 2 points
6. Year of the Savage - Robb Bank$ ; 2 points
7. Shadow of a Doubt - Freddie Gibbs ; 1 point
8. DS2 - Future ; 1 point
9. So the Flies Don't Come - Milo ; 1 point
10. The Good Fight - Oddisee ; 1 point

SONGS
fuck it, i just put my most listened Spotfiy tracks, no duplicate artists
1. Hood Politics - Kendrick Lamar ; 4 points
2. All Your Fault - Big Sean ; 3 points
3. Legend - Drake ; 3 points
4. Want Something Done - Oddisee ; 2 points
5. Day 1125 - Ka ; 2 points
6. Check - Young Thug ; 2 points
7. Antidote - Travi$ Scott ; 1 point
8. Slave Master - Future ; 1 point
9. New Religion - Jazz Cartier ; 1 point
10. Solo - Alex Wiley ; 1 point

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Nowhere - Duckwrth X Kickdrums
Ghetto Beach Boys - Warm Brew
Soul Glitch - Daye Jack

JEKKI

ahh sheeyit, this my first time voting in one of these, but got dang reading thru other ppl's lists, I jus dont get hiphop anymore today, do I??

4 point tier:

Doomtree - All Hands.
Easily the best album of the year, it hit every spot for me and was so different than what I'm used to listening to that I pretty much kept it in rotation all year long.

3 points:

Oddissee - The Good Fight.
Joey Bada$$ - B4 Da $$

Oddissee is always nice, cant go wrong with him.

For as much as I dont get current hiphop, here comes a dood like Joey who's super young and a student of the true school, yet still has a modern day flow and a dope delivery.

2 points:

Clear Soul Forces - Fab 5ive
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
First Division - Overworked and Underpaid.

CSF are some of the best doods out now, dont sleep!

Likewise First Division, who knew one of the best boom bap albums of the year would come out of canada?

Kendrick needs no explanation, that dood is hella smart and I was real impressed after how much GKMC kinda let me down (I was a huge fan of Section 80)

1 points:

Blackalicious - Imani vol. 1
Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I don't Go Outside
Deacon the Villain - Peace or Power
Gangrene - You Disgust Me

last 4 are all throwaways, mostly coz I cant think of how else to fill 10 spots.

Still a ton of stuff up my alley I havent heard yet this year like Logic, Jadakiss, Finale, Redman, Edo G,

and some real good stuff I have heard lately but have not listened to enough to digest like Freddie Gibbs, Guilty Simpson, Med/Blu/Madlib,

CRS

Jekki, check out new albums by Ka, Milo, Vince Staples, and Raury. They've all been posted here and are albums that you might like.

Also a friendly reminder that voting ends this Sunday at 11:59 PM. Make sure to submit your vote through the Google Forms please or else it won't count.

studyguy

Problem with this thread every year is I get my first 4 down and after that it's a crapshoot of figuring what goes where. W/e I'll lock it down today, 2015 was solid.

CRS

Everything is tallied up. Results will be posted tomorrow morning in a new thread.

Thanks to all who voted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom