• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF I almost died tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

equap

Banned
OP,

Please tell this story to your real life friends (i hope you have some) so they can properly laugh in your face because we can't really do it here on GAF.

Thanks.

DarkKyo

Lol "almost died". Then in that case I "almost died" once in an earthquake. And by earthquake I mean an explosion from a mile away shook the foundation of my house.

Do you see what I'm trying to say here?

TUSR

Banned
Lol "almost died". Then in that case I "almost died" once in an earthquake. And by earthquake I mean an explosion from a mile away shook the foundation of my house.

Do you see what I'm trying to say here?

I was at the shooting range and someone fired a gun.

I almost died.

how'd I do?

Angry Fork

I laughed so hard at this story. Just the thought of Daniel Craig screaming over loud noises in genuine fear and crying/shitting himself while in a 3 piece suit. Gets on the ground and cowers in the corner, crawling into a ball and screaming meanwhile it was just an elevator doing elevator things.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think the elevator has a mind of its own.

It was trying to tell you : "Hey you lazy ass, you're only going up one floor, use the goddamn stairs." *Shake shake shake*

Newline

From the story it kinda seems like you didn't almost die.

Although I have to say if I was put in that situation I would have freaked out just as much as you if not more.

Tesseract

Banned
charlie-murphy-lol-ec77zy0.gif

Mariolee

no you didn't, then. correct title is "I tought I almost died but nothing actually happened". Also, elevators have brakes that kick in automatically when the cable is severed (not that it can actually happen so easily). take the day off, chill in the sun, relax and don't worry about it nex time you enter an elevator.

Exactly, you were never in any real danger broseph.

So you want some donation money or something?

Amazing.

The best part is that the guy shitting all over himself because an elevator moved is a security guy. Imagine the sort of catatonic state he'd be in if a fight broke out. It isn't all surprising that OP's coworker seems to have total disdain for him.

Amikami

Banned
Sorry, but I laughed...just a bit. The actual story was not what I expected and it sort of sounded like you just panicked. It could happen to anyone. Noises can really spook you and then send your brain in all kinds of directions. Like others have suggested, you should relax and rest, have a cup of tea, go to the beach and feel the sand between your toes, have lunch with a friend, etc. Anything that will relax you. Glad you're okay OP.

lol. I just can't stop imagining being the guy on the other side of the elevator, and listening to this poor man scream bloody murder. Must of been bazaar for everyone.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you were really scared for your life you would have peed yourself.

I'm still trembling in fear and scared shitless. My brain is scattered and all I can think about were the images that were seared into my brain as I thought I was going to die.

I was delivering recepits to rooms at a hotel. I work security and I was filling in for someone else. I was on the 4th floor and pushed the button for the 5th floor in the elevator. As soon as the door closed, the elevator shook very violently like the cables had just been cut. I screamed out in horror as I felt like I was plummeting 4 stories to my certain death. As that was happening, images began burning into my eyes like my death and my family. I screamed more because I wanted to live. I wanted to see my baby boy again. The night auditor heard my screams and yells for help. His response "Is that you yelling like a jackass? Are you fucking retarded?" The elevator never moved a floor but the way it jerked and shooked had me fooled. I can't take loud banging noises or anything like that. I'm weirded out like something is following me. One of my employees banged on the security window to let him in and I couldn't contain myself...I yelled and screamed again. GAF...I'm severely scared...what should I do?

oh shit lololololol

Didn't know there were so many people who lack empathy, people really are mean.

It's not really about the incident itself. I understand--even knowing that elevators don't really fall to their doom, there is probably a non-trivial chance of me shitting my pants in those few seconds as well. But the lingering panic attack afterwards is kinda weird, and titling a thread "I almost died" considering the actual situation is flat-out hilarious.

ToddGoku

Banned
Dear GAF I acted like a giant baby and someone pointed it out and now I want to ruin his livelihood. Somehow I still take myself seriously as a human being. Welp thanx 4 reading.

KAOz

Short bus special
Just imagining OP standing still in an elevator, and just screaming is fucking hilarious.

But yeah, glad you made it and didn't die man. That was a really close call indeed.

It's not really about the incident itself. I understand--even knowing that elevators don't really fall to their doom, there is probably a non-trivial chance of me shitting my pants in those few seconds as well. But the lingering panic attack afterwards is kinda weird, and titling a thread "I almost died" considering the actual situation is flat-out hilarious.

That's because it probably really was a panic attack.

It's not uncommon for people (and animals, for that matter) to be part of a situation where they can't get out or see an exit and totally flip out. Bigger problem is that the response may become part of the 'standard selection' of responses to situations.

So I would personally totally have a chat with a professional about that bit. The response may itself be harmless, but it really isn't very funny for the person involved.

Med-gaf can probably say more about this than I ever could.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
To the other security guy it probably just seemed like some nutter screaming in an elevator for no reason, also.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm curious... does the OP have a panic attack everyday while he drives his car? The dangerous shit(more dangerous than a shaking elevator anyway) that happens daily on the streets must be horrible for him. Great, now i have an image in my head of a guy screaming every 5 mins in his car.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I know what the OP went through. I once stared death in the eye when I saw a spider going down a windowpane. It took years of therapy to overcome the mental breakdown I faced that morning.

Hex

Banned
Glad that you are ok but...
Unless almost die pertains to perhaps drowning in copious amounts of urine that was evacuated in terror from your bladder or maybe the chance of coronary due to abject terror.
You may need to seek some counseling if this is a normal reaction.

no you didnt

but seek help if you're easily put in this kind of situation

I kind of agree with this...

I mean no offense, but considering your comment that
I can't take loud banging noises or anything like that. I'm weirded out like something is following me.
, it sounds like maybe you suffered a trauma as a kid. Maybe someone dropping something really loud near you/on you? that scared the shit outta you and has since made you extremely sensitive and paranoid to it... Kind of like how a dog freaks the fuck out when he knocks something over and it makes a loud as sound, he rarely ever goes back to that place.

You might even be suffering from Claustraphobia considering this all happened in an elevator...

Tesseract

Banned
op, everything will be ok. close your eyes and think of flying lawnmower dreams and happy distant places. you died in the elevator.

Joe Molotov

I can sympathize with having panic attacks (you should see if you can get some Xanax or something, bro) but sometimes things happen to you that you probably should just never mention to anyone ever. This was probably one of those times.

I was sleeping lol. Update: I've been reading some of the responses. Now that I think back on it, I wish there was a camera in there so I could see myself screaming like a fucking idiot. I just never knew an elevator to shake that bad before. I ride in them all the time at work(hell the other two hotels are even taller than the one I was working at last nignt). Also the reason I was taking an elevator up one story is because the way the hotel was laid out it was just easier if I got out of the elevator made a right and walked down one of the corridors instead of taking a flight of stairs and walking down 2 sets of corridors(yeah I know laziness, but I was tired and wanted it done with). Now that I look back on it, I should've reacted more clamly about it but fuck it, its done and over with it now. The Night Auditor is still an asshole though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom