• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF I almost died tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
neardeath1r6kct.gif
I laughed the first time I saw this right after you posted and I still laugh every time I see it.

scotcheggz

Sit down and have a nice cup of tea.

The only real answer.

When I was at school, I guess about 14, I had this record bag as a school bag, it's pretty much a messenger type bag only it's 12" square to fit LPs in. I wasn't a superstar teen DJ, they were just "cool" at my school back then. So my way to school was to hop the fence opposite my house and then walk about 15 minutes along the road. Now this fence was aout 6-7 feet high and slatted, on the front side there was a wire fence with posts about 3 feet or so. I used to do the same thing every morning, slip my right foot through a cross on the wire fence, left foot onto the post and then grab the top of the fence with my left hand and launch myself over it. This one morning, I did all that but somehow my bag got caught on the fence, it had pulled a slat forward a bit and the handle got trapped in between them. So essentially I just hung myself on the fence with my bag. I flapped about for a bit and eventually the bag handle snapped and I fell onto the floor. I ran about like a headless chicken for a sec before jumping back over the fence and running home. I had bruises and rope burn all around my neck but I got the morning off school so that was nice!

Yeh so that's my story, not really that near death but there you go, I shit myself.

Forever

Banned
There's a decent chance that 70% of those who replied in here might've reacted the exact same if they were put in that actual situation. But it doesn't make this entire thread any less funny. :p

Modern elevators have tons of mechanical failsafes. Even if the cable were cut and the power were out, you wouldn't die. It would lurch down a floor and then lock in place.

way more

Assuming you've never had this experience before, and considering his other comments to you, fuck that guy.

That guy is awesome, fuck you.

The OP is screaming in the elevator "Oh lordy, I"m gonna die!! Help me Christ IdonWannaDie! sob." And the night guy hears him and just says "hey! keep it down in there. Some people have work to do.?

Worse than that ... I just started playing it on my keyboard

I can't believe I still remember it considering I learned it when it was released :p

SNL sketch concerning that.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4n068_snl-i-just-died-in-your-arms-tonigh_fun

LOL, Horatio Sanz.

I just want to give a small update here. I went back to the same hotel 2 Mondays ago. Nothing bad happened this time. But I decided it's time to move on from doing security...and I'm moving on to become a Corrections Officer. Very excited about this job opportunity coming up and hopefully I'll be able to get in.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just want to give a small update here. I went back to the same hotel 2 Mondays ago. Nothing bad happened this time. But I decided it's time to move on from doing security...and I'm moving on to become a Corrections Officer. Very excited about this job opportunity coming up and hopefully I'll be able to get in.

I'm sure I speak for most of GAF in saying I can't wait for your next thread.

hahaha, holy shit! GAF. The gift that keeps on giving

I find it hilarious that OP with the James Bond avatar was scared to death for something not even remotely dangerous, and then this guy was all nonchalant about being held at gunpoint.

But I'm glad you're safe, OP. God knows the life of a 00 agent is very dangerous. :))

Lol. Thanks guys. Security just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I love the two posts I'm at now but the pay is horrendous(barely above minimum wage here in FL). There are 2 Correctional Facilities that pay for you to go through the police academy and that's what I'm trying to do. I took a tour of the local county jail here, which was surprisingly bigger than it seemed on the outside, and I ain't scared....yet.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Of all days to bump this thread you chose the one when someone was almost shot in the face and is basically calm about the whole thing.

Surely you must be joking...

Even juvie will kill you.

Of all days to bump this thread you chose the one when someone was almost shot in the face and is basically calm about the whole thing.
Someone mentioned it in that thread and I thought I'd bump this one with a little update is all. Also, at least he's alive. I almost died! His would've been quick, painless almost..mine wouldve been falling 4-5 stories with glass shards and steel/concrete crushing all 5'5 of me. Very brutal and painful way to go..

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Someone mentioned it in that thread and I thought I'd bump this one with a little update is all. Also, at least he's alive. I almost died! His would've been quick, painless almost..mine wouldve been falling 4-5 stories with glass shards and steel/concrete crushing all 5'5 of me. Very brutal and painful way to go..

I walked outside to the mailbox while my neighbor from across the street was backing out. However, he did not floor the gas and come crashing into me. That would have been a crushing death.

Pretty interesting update. So if anyone remembers my story of how I almost shit myself..There was another person involved. The Night Auditor. Well come to find out, he got fired some 2 months after I worked there at that particular hotel. A couple weeks ago while at one of my permanent posts at another hotel, I do a call around sheet to see how the surrounding hotels did for the night. And I call a Fairfield Inn and guess who picks up....The Night Auditor....Motherfucker works right down the street from me now.

Also, I'm getting out of security! Whoo-hoo!!! I'm moving on to Corrections finally. In the process of doing all the paperwork.

Steelrain

Pretty interesting update. So if anyone remembers my story of how I almost shit myself..There was another person involved. The Night Auditor. Well come to find out, he got fired some 2 months after I worked there at that particular hotel. A couple weeks ago while at one of my permanent posts at another hotel, I do a call around sheet to see how the surrounding hotels did for the night. And I call a Fairfield Inn and guess who picks up....The Night Auditor....Motherfucker works right down the street from me now.

Also, I'm getting out of security! Whoo-hoo!!! I'm moving on to Corrections finally. In the process of doing all the paperwork.

Sounds like the perfect career move.

... You're scared of elevators.

way more

You need a job in security before corrections?

Shit, that more qualifications than I had assumed. I thought you just had to be a failed cop or something.

But good luck at your new job and congrats. Don't CO's get paid pretty well?

Log4Girlz

You're moving on up.

... You're scared of elevators.
Not really. Ever since that story took place I've taken countless elevator rides and nothing's ever happened.

You need a job in security before corrections?

Shit, that more qualifications than I had assumed. I thought you just had to be a failed cop or something.

But good luck at your new job and congrats. Don't CO's get paid pretty well?

Not neccessairly. I was doing Security so it would be a launching pad into my career path. Once I become State Certified to be a Corrections Officer, then I plan on transferring to the local county jail then onto patrol. In order to be a Corrections Officer, you have to take the Criminal Justice Basic Assessment Test, become State Certified(another test), go through the Criminal Justice Training Program(certain Correctional facilities pay for this)..so there's some amount of work that needs to be done. And thank you. Starting base salary here in FL is around 30k a year.

You're moving on up.
To the eastside..

Aren't you scared of loud sudden noises?
What if a prisoner suddenly shouts or fires a concealed weapon?

In a state prison? If somehow an inmate fires a weapon in a prison, there's gonna be a lot of paperwork, someone will get fired, and the captain chewing everyone out for allowing it to happen.

Also if somehow a CO brings in illegal contraband, it's a felon and he/she is arrested on site.

goldenpp72

Hmmm, my work elevator did something similar a few weeks ago but we just cracked jokes and hoped it would stay broken so we got paid to do nothing. Didn't think death was in the picture at all despite the sudden sinking feeling.

DonMigs85

Anyway all modern elevators are designed to automatically stop in place if the cable snaps, so don't worry if it ever does happen again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to make a smarmy comment and then I saw that Sunni had this covered with way more style. Well done sir.

OP.... wtf

I almost died two weeks ago on springbreak. Was seconds away from drowning because I got caught out in a rip current and lost my surfboard. The waves kept hitting me and I couldn't touch the bottom, I couldn't breathe, my whole body was aching, my lungs burning my arms and legs giving out. Luckily out of nowhere my friend was behind me with my board and threw me on top of it. Swung me around and got me back to shore, where I proceeded to throw up and barely be able to stand. My heart beat fast and I couldn't breathe normally for like 30 minutes.

It was terrible.

I'm glad you didn't die though op.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyway all modern elevators are designed to automatically stop in place if the cable snaps, so don't worry if it ever does happen again.
Really? I didn't know this. I got stuck in one a few years ago, it wasn't all that bad.

soepje

Aren't you scared of loud sudden noises?
What if a prisoner suddenly shouts or fires a concealed weapon?
In a state prison? If somehow an inmate fires a weapon in a prison, there's gonna be a lot of paperwork, someone will get fired, and the captain chewing everyone out for allowing it to happen.

Also if somehow a CO brings in illegal contraband, it's a felon and he/she is arrested on site.
Yea, come on DonMigs85! Prisoners don´t carry concealed (selfmade) weapons, it´s not allowed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom