• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2010 - Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirBrian

Crappy iPhone pic of the Oriental Pearl Tower to get things rolling...

igksk3.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
To kick the Spring quarter off (for Amurica) there's this single white flower growing in front of my apartment (on the same lawn thats mostly made up of purple flowers). I had to capture it!

*Click for Larger

B-Ri said:
post for the new Q thread

I didn't think you were allowed to take pictures in places like that. :lol

Edit - The mouth laser is pretty cool... I didn't even notice it at first!

B-Ri

JLateralus said:
I didn't think you were allowed to take pictures in places like that. :lol

i work there as their photog :p

BlueTsunami said:
To kick the Spring quarter off (for Amurica) there's this single white flower growing in front of my apartment (on the same lawn thats mostly made up of purple flowers). I had to capture it!

*Click for Larger

i need some macro lenses, its something ive been meaning to do, never gotten shots like that.

Lorr

I got my camera and Lightroom just a few weeks ago, so I'm kind of new to this, but here are a couple shots I've taken in the meantime... Criticisms, suggestions, and any other forms of advice would be much appreciated.
burlingtonvt%201012-1.jpg

feeder%20canal%20129-1.jpg

burlingtonvt%201173-1.jpg

biketrail%20107-1.jpg

This one was originally posted yesterday in the Q1 thread.
T2i + 18-55mm kit lens

And one I took less than 5 minutes ago.
T2i + 50mm f/1.8

Click for massive original sized images.

Pics are straight from the camera since I don't know how to use photoshop well. =/

reakt

I live in England and snowdrops are in season. This shot taken outside my house. I am a beginner at DSLR photography so it's a basic close up shot. Taken with the widest aperture on my camera (canon 450d) to give a shallow depth of field. (Click image to see gigantic version)

Chairhome

Man, you guys do beautiful work. How much time do you guys spend on post processing? I use PSE 8 and I usually just tweak the color balance, exposure and brightness. This is mostly for family pictures though.

SleazyC

VNZ said:
Ah, a new quarterly thread! Some spring/easter shots...
The colors you produce in these photos are fantastic. As a new photographer I'd be interested in knowing how you went about producing these photos.

BlueTsunami

Chairhome said:
Man, you guys do beautiful work. How much time do you guys spend on post processing? I use PSE 8 and I usually just tweak the color balance, exposure and brightness. This is mostly for family pictures though.

Try shooting RAW and messing with the White Balance and curve adjustment. You can really change the feel of an image rather easily when doing this (provides a great amount of control, creatively).

VNZ

SleazyC said:
The colors you produce in these photos are fantastic. As a new photographer I'd be interested in knowing how you went about producing these photos.
Thanks! I work pretty much as BlueTsunami just described; shooting RAW to get the most control of color balance in post. For me a neutral color digital photograph has always been a pretty useless document, so I always try different ways of skewing the colors to better convey an atmosphere, feeling or ambience. Sometimes it's too much, sometimes it works. Currently I really dig the speed Lightroom 3 allows me to experiment with RAWs, but at the same time I miss the extra flexibility of for example Photoshop and Aperture 3 (especially having full control over RGB curves is something that gives you total control over the tones and colors, I'm really hoping to see that in the final version of Lightroom 3).

I also really enjoy the raw material that the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 gives me to work with. It has the nostalgic qualities of the good old "35mm film + 50mm prime" combination that you have to love...

Chairhome

BlueTsunami said:
Try shooting RAW and messing with the White Balance and curve adjustment. You can really change the feel of an image rather easily when doing this (provides a great amount of control, creatively).
Yeah, I only shoot in RAW. I have a grey card for white balance but I have no idea how to use it with PSE, haha. I'll have to mess around more. I'll probably need to learn more about curve adjustment as well. I picked up a new photo handbook, I probably need to get deeper into it.

BlueTsunami said:
Again, I'm just starting to dabble with photography .. could you explain what shooting RAW means? Or provide some links on the subject?

BTW, as a beginner, I'm finding it very hard to find solid information on the internet about photography. I'm sure its out there but I don't know where to look. It seems like every website I find is just some way to advertise garbage.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Maklershed said:
Again, I'm just starting to dabble with photography .. could you explain what shooting RAW means? Or provide some links on the subject?

BTW, as a beginner, I'm finding it very hard to find solid information on the internet about photography. I'm sure its out there but I don't know where to look. It seems like every website I find is just some way to advertise garbage.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

taken from the Q1 thread since we switched over.

Chorazin said:
Some photos during my weekend at PAX East

4478250012_12e206b971_b.jpg
shwing! nice grab. I hope you flirted with her.

@123rl - love the first and the last.

@samusz - what were your settings? I've tried and tried to do a damn moon shot and failed many times. I know its sunlit surface etc i just cant seem to do it right.

@BT - the third one is awesome.

@Scythian empire - love the black and white treatment, i think you definitely captured the mood of the battle of the bands.

mrkgoo said:
Excellent stuff in the recent posts. I've noticed I've been picking BT's shots as having being shot by him ("Oh, those look like BT's) more often recently. I guess I am becoming familiar with his style!
I can usually tell most of the regulars shots.

Q: Do you guys see your own shots differently? I stare for quite a while at my own images, so I feel I'm not that objective viewing them. I see them, and become hyper critical of little things I wish I had done better. Then I look at some of your guys shots and just see them as awesome.
Ditto pretty much. Although I think your stuff is generally pretty awesome.
I am constantly going back and re-editing photos, especially now with LR3 beta 2. Its a bad habit.

Chairhome

Maklershed said:

In addition to what was posted above, RAW is a file format that is not compressed, like a JPG. It gives you more control over color temperature in post processing, for one, and its the maximum quality image you can get from your camera. DSLRs and some point and shoot cameras have the option to shoot in RAW. If you have a Canon P&S, look into CDHK to put custom firmware on it to shoot in RAW.

BlueTsunami

Chairhome said:
Yeah, I only shoot in RAW. I have a grey card for white balance but I have no idea how to use it with PSE, haha. I'll have to mess around more. I'll probably need to learn more about curve adjustment as well. I picked up a new photo handbook, I probably need to get deeper into it.

As far as curves go, you can add the tonality thats seen by some of the members photos here by fidgeting with certain color channels (Blue, Green or Red). A mixture of two or a dominant channel will obviously add a tinge of the appropriate color (depending where you make the change, in the highlights, shadows or midtones sectors).

Some boring dog portraits I was doing today:

25505_382799606780_591626780_4376980_5964877_n.jpg

25505_382799626780_591626780_4376981_2184276_n.jpg

I'm going to a rockabilly classic car show today so there should be some cool pics later!

Just got the Nikkor 70-300 VR on Thursday and went to the zoo yesterday ("crowded" doesn't even begin to describe how many people were there). Here's some from the first outing with it:

DSC_0472.JPG

DSC_0544.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0527.JPG

xMk2x said:

I saw that immediately. :lol

Some great looking Spring pictures in the thread. I picked up an Xsi a month ago but I haven't taken any super awe inspiring shots yet. Will post when I do.

NorrenRadd said:
I saw that immediately. :lol

Some great looking Spring pictures in the thread. I picked up an Xsi a month ago but I haven't taken any super awe inspiring shots yet. Will post when I do.
Just out of curiosity .. where did you get your avatar? That looks like a whipsmartbanky original.

VNZ said:
Ah, a new quarterly thread! Some spring/easter shots...

That is the graveyard on top of the hill in Prague right? Where Smetana is buried?

If so, I've been there too...

5720285_4fc73a22ab.jpg

Shot this one with my brand new Pentax K-7 today...

9039235_357a7c47d1_b.jpg

There's a gay biker event in Vegas this weekend called Smokeout. None of you will probably enjoy the subject matter but here they are anyway.

25505_383044586780_591626780_4384969_4530016_n.jpg

25505_383052001780_591626780_4385284_3246262_n.jpg

25505_383052491780_591626780_4385290_2510430_n.jpg

Gay Elvis Wedding!

25505_383052521780_591626780_4385293_1610768_n.jpg

25505_383052546780_591626780_4385295_2970149_n.jpg

25505_383052631780_591626780_4385302_6716687_n.jpg

25505_383052656780_591626780_4385304_2467176_n.jpg

25505_383052681780_591626780_4385306_7693138_n.jpg

Sorry for long post!

TheWiicast said:
None of you will probably enjoy the subject matter but here they are anyway.
True story... like usual on the quarterly threads, I just let the page load, jump to the end, and then page up to see the newest posts. So I saw your last photo first, liked it. Liked it even more as I paged up and saw it juxtaposed against that great American flag shot. But then I hit this insult... ugh, do you even realize how insulting that comment is? You've just killed the power and beauty of your photo by calling everyone a homophobe (or a bikerphobe, I guess.)

Seriously, you're posting this to the artistic subset (a part of communities known for its LGBT-supportive values) on NeoGAF (a site known for it's LGBT-supportive atmosphere.) And, weasel "probably" aside, you've just accused all of "us" of being bigots. Really? Even the gay followers of PhotoGAF won't enjoy the subject matter?

I don't know, maybe I'm over-reacting because I'm a closet bigot. Perhaps I'm over-reacting because I always put little photographer's notes on my photos, and this is a perfect example of how those can backfire. Could be that I just don't like the photos of the cigar smokers because I hate smoking with a fiery passion but now your insinuation is directly, although mistakenly, applicable to me. Whatever... you'll think what you'll think. Regardless, I think you've underestimated your audience here, and, more generally speaking, I think it's poor form to insult them.

Wow. First of all thanks for the post!

I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I was in a rush and should have said that the subject matter might not be for everyone.

I've been a member long enough to know that we're very lgbt frendly. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the photos but I'm also sad that I made you feel insulted. So in short, I'm sorry! I'm not trying to underestimate anyone's appreciation of the arts.

Also, I read threads just like you do (from the bottom up). I can totally see where you're coming from.

TheWiicast said:
Wow. First of all thanks for the post!
And thank you for not taking my comments overly personally.

TheWiicast said:
I wasn't trying to insult anyone. I was in a rush and should have said that the subject matter might not be for everyone.
While that wording is better, I am still a bit irritated (not by you, but by the society that makes such a disclaimer advisable) that you felt you had to add the disclaimer. Let those that would oppress and shame the people in your photos be offended. The prudes can fuck right off.

TheWiicast said:
I'm glad you enjoyed some of the photos...
Not only enjoyed, but I'd say a set of images 2, 3, 4, and 8 (what can I say, I really don't like smoking) would be the most powerful set in this thread so far.

TheWiicast said:
So in short, I'm sorry! I'm not trying to underestimate anyone's appreciation of the arts.
No problem, we're cool (as long as you can forgive my outburst.)

Eccocid

Some shots from a gym in Brooklyn (Dumbo) NY from a few months ago
Taken with Canon eos 400D and cheap kit lens also 50mm f1.8 cheap lens!

f557a0.jpg

34t4cnn.jpg

2sa1cvm.jpg

long exposure
10qe9op.jpg

HDR
i24met.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom