• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2010 - Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairhome

kryptikjoker said:
Still working on my composition, but I really like how these shots came out. Taken with my new D5000.

4493021924_ecb9b9d82a_o.jpg

4492381849_03b559c932_o.jpg

4492382007_d8c77e9977_o.jpg

Don't forget the image tags!

I'm looking for a very small profile dslr case that will fit my Canon XSi and the 18-135mm lens. Where would I go to test if my items fit? Do specialty camera stores carry such a plethora of cases?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The_Inquisitor said:

Wow, the colors are nice and lush. Definitely dig the blue jay shot out of the lot.

BlueTsunami said:
Wow, the colors are nice and lush. Definitely dig the blue jay shot out of the lot.

Yeah I really loved photographing him. He kept looking at me while I photographed him which was pretty cute. My favorite is the one where the squirrel is just looking back at me eating his nut. :D

Oh and to the guy who said the XS is a bad choice. All my photos I post are shot with my Rebel XS. Is it really as bad as you would think? Not really. Yeah the body feels a bit weak compared to my metal lens... but I just hold it from the middle of the lens now.

Low light quality sucks? I just don't go past 800 ISO and use my 50mm f/1.8 at night.

Not enough focus points? I just move myself to get my subject in one of my few focus points. In fact, it forces me to rethink many of my shots which is helpful starting out.

For a 300 dollar camera, it is a phenomenal starting camera. The burst is great and all, but a beginner isn't going to need a high burst.

So don't be shy about buying an XS, and feel free to look at photos in my Flickr. Pretty much everything in there has been taken by my XS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacman326/sets/

Also feel free to add me! :D

guess

The_Inquisitor said:
First real shoot with my 70-200mm L I got last week. I need some more practice, but I am happy with my initial few photos.

Great pics. Especially the squirrel (eating).

Menelaus

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Oh and to the guy who said the XS is a bad choice. All my photos I post are shot with my Rebel XS. Is it really as bad as you would think? Not really.
You're probably talking about me, even though I never said the XS was a bad choice. I said it didn't belong in the sentence "a REALLY good camera".

I had an XTi, which was the step below the XS and I got some great shots out of it, and I know the XS is a decent starter camera. I've used an XS and it's similar enough to the XTi to warrant and justify my opinion.

Eccocid

You know the Lens makes a big difference not the camera itself. Most of the DSLRs are ok now the only con with some rebel models are their sensors are not full frame 35 mm.

Menelaus

Banned
Eccocid said:
You know the Lens makes a big difference not the camera itself. Most of the DSLRs are ok now the only con with some rebel models are their sensors are not full frame 35 mm.
All rebels, as well as the rest of Canon's line up (1 and 5 lines excluded) are not full frame.

California Academy of Science at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

Waxy Monkey Tree Frog

I didn't look at the name of these.

Green Tree Python

Click images for large views.

Forearms

I picked up a Nikon D5000 last weekend; my first DSLR. It came with a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens. I've been having a great time with it thus far, and with the weather getting nicer for the weekend I should have a chance to get out to snap some more photos.

Anyhow, here's a close up of my cat chilling on the couch :).

4-3-1070.jpg

BlueTsunami

First shot was from two days ago, rest from today (went out into the rain in hopes of running into some early wild flowers).

*Click for larger

ili0926

Ive been to a few concerts in the past week, so here are a couple of my favourites (I didn't have my SLR with me, so they're just from a normal digicam):

Spoon at Kool Haus in Toronto, ON
25870_1244521567344_1658520145_1684389_4984256_n.jpg

25870_1244521927353_1658520145_1684398_4118236_n.jpg

25870_1244521967354_1658520145_1684399_6757116_n.jpg

25870_1244522047356_1658520145_1684401_1420632_n.jpg

Metric at Ale House in Kingston, ON
27041_1249687416487_1658520145_1696532_1151529_n.jpg

27041_1249688056503_1658520145_1696548_2484321_n.jpg

I wish I had my SLR at the Spoon concert - I have a very fast lens...wouldn't be all grainy and stuff like these photos =(

A friend at work coaches a high school soccer team and asked me to shoot a game tomorrow night. I told him I didn't really have anything long enough to shoot, and he said he had something he could loan me (he, another co-worker, and I are all Canon shooters.) He gives me this Promaster 70-300 f/4-5.6 and I take it home to take a few test shots. The thing is awful, soft, takes forever to focus, nasty bokeh, and chromatic aberration something fierce. Plus, it's a night game.

I figure I can make do with the lens, jack the ISO, underexpose a bit, grab some safeties early then switch to my 50 f/1.8 to get the kind of shots that made him ask me in the first place, and whatnot, but do any of you have any suggestions for shooting soccer? Even basic stuff, like should I talk to the refs beforehand or is there some super obvious place I shouldn't stand?

Squirrel Killer said:
A friend at work coaches a high school soccer team and asked me to shoot a game tomorrow night. I told him I didn't really have anything long enough to shoot, and he said he had something he could loan me (he, another co-worker, and I are all Canon shooters.) He gives me this Promaster 70-300 f/4-5.6 and I take it home to take a few test shots. The thing is awful, soft, takes forever to focus, nasty bokeh, and chromatic aberration something fierce. Plus, it's a night game.

I figure I can make do with the lens, jack the ISO, underexpose a bit, grab some safeties early then switch to my 50 f/1.8 to get the kind of shots that made him ask me in the first place, and whatnot, but do any of you have any suggestions for shooting soccer? Even basic stuff, like should I talk to the refs beforehand or is there some super obvious place I shouldn't stand?

I'd prob. jack the ISO to 800 and keep it at f/4. But you probably already know that. Other than that, some sort of tripod would be a big plus even though it wont matter as much. Make sure you shoot at at least 1/500th a second for sports as a rule of thumb I use.

Again you probably know this already.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm looking at various entry level SLRs to help me learn and take the kind of pictures a sony cybershot point and shoot can't! I know nothing about the technology and tiny amounts about the theory, this will be the camera to teach me all that.

I'll probably do something like opt for the best seller on Amazon or one of the cheapest on Amazon.

people keep telling me to just buy a body and buy a lens seperately. 2 problems, I have no idea about lenses so I dont even know the difference between the lens you get with a camera and why it'd be inferior to one I'd buy separately. Second is cost because I am just trying to get into photography, I dont know if that warrants having a costly lens I dont even know how to look after.

Do you guys have any tips and things to consider?

What lens set up do you have and why? i.e. I know some guys will carry different lens and swap out for various situations.

Do any of you get by just fine with e basic model which came with a lower pricepoint and packaged basic lens and find that you get by ok?

For those with only one lens, do you find yourself getting to the point where you wish you had another lens?

Finally, any good resources online where I can learn about lenses or getting into photography?

Stalfos

kaizoku said:
I'm looking at various entry level SLRs to help me learn and take the kind of pictures a sony cybershot point and shoot can't! I know nothing about the technology and tiny amounts about the theory, this will be the camera to teach me all that.

I'll probably do something like opt for the best seller on Amazon or one of the cheapest on Amazon.

people keep telling me to just buy a body and buy a lens seperately. 2 problems, I have no idea about lenses so I dont even know the difference between the lens you get with a camera and why it'd be inferior to one I'd buy separately. Second is cost because I am just trying to get into photography, I dont know if that warrants having a costly lens I dont even know how to look after.

What lens set up do you have and why? i.e. I know some guys will carry different lens and swap out for various situations.

Do any of you get by just fine with e basic model which came with a lower pricepoint and packaged basic lens and find that you get by ok?

For those with only one lens, do you find yourself getting to the point where you wish you had another lens?

Finally, any good resources online where I can learn about lenses or getting into photography?

For people just starting out in photography I always recommend to just go with the kit lens. It will produce some good results and you will be able to start shooting with something that has a decent zoom range. Once you start using it a while you may find that it works just fine for your needs or you may find that you would like a lens that reaches either wider angles or has more zoom. Either way it still allows you to start getting into photography without a huge investment and allows you time to figure out if and where you really want to spend you money in terms of lenses.

I have had my Rebel XT for several years now and the setup I have is the kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. I do at this point want to get some other lenses but they are expensive and I'll need to hold off on purchasing anything new for a while longer. If you want to see the results I have gotten with my two lenses check out my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenwmoore/

If you would like some reviews of cameras and lenses you can check out these site http://dpreview.com/, http://www.photozone.de/, this last one is canon only http://www.the-digital-picture.com/, and there are probably several other sites that I either can't think of at the moment or I don't know about.

Stalfos said:
For people just starting out in photography I always recommend to just go with the kit lens. It will produce some good results and you will be able to start shooting with something that has a decent zoom range. Once you start using it a while you may find that it works just fine for your needs or you may find that you would like a lens that reaches either wider angles or has more zoom. Either way it still allows you to start getting into photography without a huge investment and allows you time to figure out if and where you really want to spend you money in terms of lenses.

I have had my Rebel XT for several years now and the setup I have is the kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8. I do at this point want to get some other lenses but they are expensive and I'll need to hold off on purchasing anything new for a while longer. If you want to see the results I have gotten with my two lenses check out my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenwmoore/

If you would like some reviews of cameras and lenses you can check out these site http://dpreview.com/, http://www.photozone.de/, this last one is canon only http://www.the-digital-picture.com/, and there are probably several other sites that I either can't think of at the moment or I don't know about.

Wow.. I really like your stuff. About a month ago I picked up a used Rebel XT w/ kit lens and have since bought the 50mm f/1.8 and 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. It's reassuring to see that the kind of images that I want to capture is being done with a XT! I have trouble "seeing" good images and making subjects interesting. I suppose that will come with time.

Squirrel Killer said:

I don't mean to state the obvious, but bring all your memory cards and a backup battery with you, shoot in burst mode, and go for quantity, quantity, quantity. I've never shot soccer, but I did Baltimore Ravens NFL training camp a couple of times, and I find that with a fast moving play, you can never tell looking through the viewfinder which shot will be that precise moment when all the factors come together (focus, lighting, player positioning) for a great shot. I would shoot off bursts as I followed each play, and later on my PC I would sort through the hundreds of shots hoping I got something nice through dumb luck. The more you shoot, the better your odds.

Oh, and wherever possible, try to capture the plays moving toward you so you can see faces and expressions.

eso76

DIrtyWeasel said:
California Academy of Science at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

I didn't look at the name of these.

Oooh, nice. Uromastyx. Funny guys. I know because i used to have one.
Actually, he was my father's; he was there before i was born and died when i was 17 (he must have been 19 or so)

BlueTsunami

kaizoku said:

Definitely go with a Kit lens for now (Zoom lens) and after some time with that, if you want a prime lens, you can base your decision off of what focal length you tend to use on the Zoom. That or buy a better quality zoom lens down the line. As stated, the 50/1.8 is also great to have since you'll have the zoom lens for daylight and the 50/1.8 for low ambient light. I honestly think that its the faster lenses you can acquire and the Depth of Field control you have is what'll really differentiate the images you get from SLR (in contrast to a point and shoot).

The Rebel kit lenses are pretty much great for landscapes (when stopped down to f/5.6-f/8) but are lackluster when you want to use a longer focal length (beyond 35mm). Great starter lens though (I still use mine).

As far as feeling limited by one lens? I've shot with a 50mm Prime for nearly two years now and absolutely love it. I find that its the really longer lenses (85mm and beyond) that really start to limit you in general scenario (out with friends, various functions), where with these longer lenses you need to remove yourself from the group just to capture them. Of course with a zoom lens you won't feel limited in that regard but more with tough lighting situations.

BlueTsunami said:
Definitely go with a Kit lens for now (Zoom lens) and after some time with that, if you want a prime lens, you can base your decision off of what focal length you tend to use on the Zoom. That or buy a better quality zoom lens down the line.

The Rebel kit lenses are pretty much great for landscapes (when stopped down to f/5.6-f/8) but are lackluster when you want to use a longer focal length (beyond 35mm). Great starter lens though (I still use mine).

You should consider the path I am going atm.

15-55 IS ----> 50mm f/1.8 --------> 70-200mm L ---------> Some macro lens

You'll learn a lot and be able to cover all rangers. :D

Guise: Awesome shots!

Headed out last night to Freemont St. Vegas and a local DIVE bar. This is real vegas LOL.

25345_384995031780_591626780_4439223_3931594_n.jpg

25345_384995051780_591626780_4439225_6605113_n.jpg

25345_384995066780_591626780_4439227_3416466_n.jpg

^For the assignment Thread

25345_384995081780_591626780_4439228_2463421_n.jpg

25345_384995106780_591626780_4439230_3504798_n.jpg

25345_384995126780_591626780_4439232_4101351_n.jpg

25345_384995141780_591626780_4439233_1316348_n.jpg

25345_384995186780_591626780_4439234_1933240_n.jpg

WTF? :lol

25345_384995201780_591626780_4439235_1779383_n.jpg

Stalfos

JLateralus said:
Wow.. I really like your stuff. About a month ago I picked up a used Rebel XT w/ kit lens and have since bought the 50mm f/1.8 and 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. It's reassuring to see that the kind of images that I want to capture is being done with a XT! I have trouble "seeing" good images and making subjects interesting. I suppose that will come with time.
Thanks, I'm glad you like my work. Seeing good images will come in time. I've recently actually gone back through some of my older shots that I took when I first got my camera and I have found that I liked some of them quite a bit. Even if you take a good shot you don't always see it, sometimes a shot just needs a little bit of processing to turn from something that seemed ordinary into something that you actually like quite a lot. Once you get more experienced you'll start seeing the potential in shots and figuring out what you can do them in post-processing to make them great.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
guise said:
Back from Japan...

fuck you take good pictures.

I took hundreds, fucking hundreds photos in japan and not one, not a single one comes close to the awesomeness of your photos... you'd think that by taking so many photos I would at least get one good shot by chance... but no.

good on you, but fuck its frustrating for me :(

Stalfos

Nicolas Sarkozy the President of France and first lady Carla Bruni outside of Ben's Chili Bowl in DC two weeks ago. Was my first time ever going to Ben's Chili Bowl, so just a lucky coincidence. Had to crop this quite a bit, had my 50mm on the camera but they had us stand quite a ways back.

Hey WiiCast I really love the colors in your photos. I am just curious, what combo do you shoot with and what if any post processing have you been doing?

Xrenity

[edit] woops, new page. I'll quote some personal favs from the last few and the last pic
VNZ said:
Some black & white treatments...

Link to flickr set
TheWiicast said:
Guise: Awesome shots!

Headed out last night to Freemont St. Vegas and a local DIVE bar. This is real vegas LOL.

25345_384995106780_591626780_4439230_3504798_n.jpg

25345_384995126780_591626780_4439232_4101351_n.jpg

25345_384995141780_591626780_4439233_1316348_n.jpg
Stalfos said:
Nicolas Sarkozy the President of France and first lady Carla Bruni outside of Ben's Chili Bowl in DC two weeks ago. Was my first time ever going to Ben's Chili Bowl, so just a lucky coincidence. Had to crop this quite a bit, had my 50mm on the camera but they had us stand quite a ways back.

[/edit]

VNZ; especially 2&3 are awesome.
TheWiiCast; great portraits man. Look really cool.

kerk1.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg

draadstaal.jpg.scaled.1000.jpg

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey WiiCast I really love the colors in your photos. I am just curious, what combo do you shoot with and what if any post processing have you been doing?

I'm using a Rebel XSI with a kit lens. I'm doing most of my post in Aperture, Generally i'm making sure they're extra bright using the raw settings and pulling up the contrast and darks. There's also a built in preset called "toy camera" which can be tweaked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom