• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2010 - Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso76

TheWiicast said:
I'm using a Rebel XSI with a kit lens. I'm doing most of my post in Aperture, Generally i'm making sure they're extra bright using the raw settings and pulling up the contrast and darks. There's also a built in preset called "toy camera" which can be tweaked as well.

i'm very curious too.
I would assume the places where your pics were taken are mostly dark, yet it doesn't look like you cranked up iso value that high and it doesn't look like you used the built in flash. I was thinking there was some fancy equipment involved but now you mention you used a rebel xsi with kit lens...

rebz

Neo Member
My wife and I finally sprung for a DSLR, which I've wanted for a very, very long time. Trying to teach myself as I go. I take a few photos every day, with the strict requirement that no postproc is allowed (hoping this will force me to learn my camera settings rather than rely on Photoshop to fix bad technique). Looking forward to any criticism!

Some of my more favorite ones so far:

4501976928_61df2d9481.jpg

4492325524_a09aea479e.jpg

4484067270_f0e02fc8e3.jpg

4483127924_4c38fce74f.jpg

Also, I checked the first thread, but are there any rules that I should be wary of? Posting frequency/quantity? (I'm still a bit new to GAF :))

In case anyone's wondering, we got a Rebel T2i.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just taped down my Kit Lens at 28mm. Time to Eye of the Tiger this shit (and get a feel for 28mm). It'll effectively be a 28/4 lens.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
rebz said:
My wife and I finally sprung for a DSLR, which I've wanted for a very, very long time. Trying to teach myself as I go. I take a few photos every day, with the strict requirement that no postproc is allowed (hoping this will force me to learn my camera settings rather than rely on Photoshop to fix bad technique). Looking forward to any criticism!

Some of my more favorite ones so far:

Also, I checked the first thread, but are there any rules that I should be wary of? Posting frequency/quantity? (I'm still a bit new to GAF :))

In case anyone's wondering, we got a Rebel T2i.

Wow those are nice. You've opted for an awesome camera too, I'm not sure if I wanna stretch that far.

Thanks for the advice guys, some of you are ridiculously talented! I hope you make some money from this!

Still pouring over which camera to go for. Was almost sold on a Nikon D3000 due to cheap price and good performance but then I discovered it doesn't have Live View on the LCD, which seems important.

How big a deal is Live View? What other purpose does the LCD serve? Just shows you the shot after you've taken it? Do you guys use it?

Chairhome

kaizoku said:
Wow those are nice. You've opted for an awesome camera too, I'm not sure if I wanna stretch that far.

Thanks for the advice guys, some of you are ridiculously talented! I hope you make some money from this!

Still pouring over which camera to go for. Was almost sold on a Nikon D3000 due to cheap price and good performance but then I discovered it doesn't have Live View on the LCD, which seems important.

How big a deal is Live View? What other purpose does the LCD serve? Just shows you the shot after you've taken it? Do you guys use it?
Coming from a person who does not have Live View (I have a Canon 20D which seems archaic to some of the newer cameras), I don't think its a huge dealbreaking feature. I use my LCD to preview images and check histograms.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
kaizoku said:

Does the D3000 have a swivel screen?
I can tell you Live View + swivel screen is badass for doing shots low to the ground or above your head so your not on the ground trying to look through the viewfinder or above your head where you would be pretty much guessing. Live view without a swivel still has its purposes but i think combined with swivel screen it is pretty awesome.

@the wiicast - you take nice portraits, i like your style of capturing the moment vs posed.

@guise - that japanese house shot is amazing.

@BlueTsunami - the last one in your set, love the bokeh'ed rays of light behind the green bud, thats my favorite from the set.

I freaking love my 150mm f2.0, even when I switch lenses its only for a brief time. Or its to put on the 2x TC and make it a 300f4

I can tell you Live View + swivel screen is badass for doing shots low to the ground or above your head so your not on the ground trying to look through the viewfinder or above your head where you would be pretty much guessing. Live view without a swivel still has its purposes but i think combined with swivel screen it is pretty awesome.

@the wiicast - you take nice portraits, i like your style of capturing the moment vs posed.

@guise - that japanese house shot is amazing.

@BlueTsunami - the last one in your set, love the bokeh'ed rays of light behind the green bud, thats my favorite from the set.

I freaking love my 150mm f2.0, even when I switch lenses its only for a brief time. Or its to put on the 2x TC and make it a 300f4

Click for bigger

As always more at my Flickr

Lorr

captive said:

This is what pushed me to go for the D5000. It's a great combo and allows for me to get shots like this...

Which was practically in the ground.

Kawaii

4515184170_db0056c6b6.jpg

Click here for a bigger image

Depth of field isn't exactly how i wanted it to be but i can't complain since it was such a lowlight environment.

Shot with a 50mm f/1.8 Lens on a Canon 450D.

My camera struggles a lot trying to autofocus in lowlight environments, is this due to the camera or the lens? I need the autofocus because when it gets late and i get more drunk i can't focus manually anymore due to both alcohol levels and eye fatigue (i wear contacts).

BlueTsunami

kaizoku said:

Live View is great for high magnification Macros, straight up Manual Focusing and shooting at odd angle but it shouldn't be a deal breaker if you don't shoot any of these.

Kawaii said:
My camera struggles a lot trying to autofocus in lowlight environments, is this due to the camera or the lens?
It is the lens. 50mm f/1.8 takes a while to autofocus on my 550D/T2i in low light too. Many reader reviews on Amazon.com indicate the same thing.

I can't complain for the price.

eso76 said:
i'm very curious too.
I would assume the places where your pics were taken are mostly dark, yet it doesn't look like you cranked up iso value that high and it doesn't look like you used the built in flash. I was thinking there was some fancy equipment involved but now you mention you used a rebel xsi with kit lens...
Ah. Well I also use a canon speedlight with a swivel flash. I usually always try to bounce to flash off something rather than point it directly at the subject.

guise

Cheers for all the positive feedback, i feel like im slowly learning! Hopefully getting my gorillapod tomorrow so ill finally get a chance to play around with some long exposures and HDR shots

navii said:
I took hundreds, fucking hundreds photos in japan and not one, not a single one comes close to the awesomeness of your photos... you'd think that by taking so many photos I would at least get one good shot by chance... but no.

I think i took almost 2,000 shots (more bad then good). Continuous shooting mode is really useful - and so is aperture 3

-KRS-

Here's some of my recent ones. Pretty crappy compared to other photos in here though.

DSC_2130.jpg

DSC_2228.jpg

DSC_2267.jpg

I took the bottom two ones today.

I wish I had a better telephoto-lens. The Nikkor VR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 may be cheap, but owning one for a while now has made me realize it sucks bad. It gets blurry even in the middle. :-/

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Well I opted for the Canon 450D in the end, seemed like a good entry point for someone like myself, saved a fair whack on the RRP as well by buying a refurb. Pretty nervous about it, but now I splashed the cash I have to start taking this photography business seriously!

cheers for all the advice and inspiration!

eso76

TheWiicast said:
Ah. Well I also use a canon speedlight with a swivel flash. I usually always try to bounce to flash off something rather than point it directly at the subject.

ooh, ok, thanks for sharing :)

VNZ

ChryZ said:
GF1 + Canon FD 50mm 1:1.4
Oh, there's a Canon FD adapter for Micro Four Thirds? I have a pretty decent FD 35-70mm f/2.8 that I'd love to try digitally at some point. I knew about the Leica M adapter which is pretty exciting in itself...

captive

VNZ said:
Oh, there's a Canon FD adapter for Micro Four Thirds? I have a pretty decent FD 35-70mm f/2.8 that I'd love to try digitally at some point. I knew about the Leica M adapter which is pretty exciting in itself...
apparently there's adapters for just about everything for m4/3 since the flange is so close to the sensor you can connect just about any lens to them.

Thinking of setting up a "Photo a Day" project/blog, was wondering if there are any blogging platforms (like Blogger or Wordpress) designed specifically for photographers? Planning on just doing it through Wordpress but was wondering if there were other options.

BlueTsunami

I just got my hands on PTLens (lens distortion and other corrections). Some shots with corrected Barrel Distortion (inherent in my kit lens at 28mm) and Perspective Distortion (due to tilting the lens upwards).

4515848233_fd8103b700_o.jpg

4516483134_0b4d0e698a_o.jpg

brerwolfe

i was at a breast cancer benefit/awareness/fundraiser thing yesterday called "scooters4hooters." everyone rode in on a scooter, and they were raffling off one too. i didn't win, unfortunately, but i donated $40 and felt mildly better about myself.

i thought this scooter was pretty bad-ass...

26203_385648618258_844168258_3718861_1389054_n.jpg

they had a band there, daytime photos of small concerts generally look pretty shitty in color... so b&w we go:

26203_385648623258_844168258_3718862_7812399_n.jpg

the stage in the background. i should probably brighten the stage up a little, i feel like it gets lost in the picture.

26203_385648628258_844168258_3718863_4305891_n.jpg

edited (looks like the blacks get lightened through flickr....?):

4516749184_533e3a3a79_b.jpg

a picture of me taken through a jack daniels mirror 100' away in the bar.... it's kinda like beer goggles, but instead, it's whiskey. i'd say drink until i'm hot, or you could just look in the mirror:

26203_385631313258_844168258_3718494_289692_n.jpg

The_Inquisitor said:
I'd prob. jack the ISO to 800 and keep it at f/4. But you probably already know that. Other than that, some sort of tripod would be a big plus even though it wont matter as much. Make sure you shoot at at least 1/500th a second for sports as a rule of thumb I use.

Again you probably know this already.

Lucky Forward said:
I don't mean to state the obvious, but bring all your memory cards and a backup battery with you, shoot in burst mode, and go for quantity, quantity, quantity. I've never shot soccer, but I did Baltimore Ravens NFL training camp a couple of times, and I find that with a fast moving play, you can never tell looking through the viewfinder which shot will be that precise moment when all the factors come together (focus, lighting, player positioning) for a great shot. I would shoot off bursts as I followed each play, and later on my PC I would sort through the hundreds of shots hoping I got something nice through dumb luck. The more you shoot, the better your odds.

Oh, and wherever possible, try to capture the plays moving toward you so you can see faces and expressions.
Thanks for the advice guys! I knew most of those, but it was nice to have the reminders. One piece that I read right before I left for the game was to shoot vertical. I didn't heed that for the tail end of the JV game that was finishing up when I got there, but did during the varsity game, and it made a huge difference.

One nice thing is that a reporter and photographer from the visitor's home town were there. Just like I learned golf etiquette from watching others, I watched what he was doing and took some cues from him. I tried not to be the annoying hanger on, even when I overheard him let some noob ("press the shutter halfway to make it focus") take his 70-200 for a spin.

The lens sucked, but I can't tell my friend that since he paid so much for it ($175!) Exposure-wise it was alright (I didn't have to hammer the ISO and exposure compensation too hard until full twilight,) but the zoom ring, focus speed and softness were brutal. 560 exposures, 86 good enough to send on to my friend, and only 7 that I'd be willing to claim as my own. It was fun though, I'd probably do it again if asked and if I had a better lens.

Thanks again, guys!

-KRS-

brerwolfe said:
edited (looks like the blacks get lightened through flickr....?)

I haven't used flickr so I don't know if that's the case, but I find that when viewing my shots in Firefox, the color saturation is way different than it is in my other programs like GIMP and F-Spot. Its like it looses some saturation and contrast. So it might be something like that.

And yes, I have changed the setting in about:config that supposedly makes colors in firefox more accurate.

DCX

DCX
4515007250_b1fd6a70da_b.jpg

Just got a D90 and i had the pleasure of attending my first Knicks game Sunday and decided to test out my new toy :) I didn't really mess around with the settings much although i did use the sports mode ( doh ) for this shot :)

DCX

captive

Some from yesterday afternoon.

Rusted saw I see every time i drive to Brazos Bend State Park

this is why you should stop your car when you think you see something, I almost didnt stop to take this shot.

Stalfos

captive said:
Some from yesterday afternoon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4519228637_c994ec0009_b.jpg

Rusted saw I see every time i drive to Brazos Bend State Park
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4519868796_7a1b7ececf_b.jpg

this is why you should stop your car when you think you see something, I almost didnt stop to take this shot.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4519871636_de99ccae33_b.jpg
I can't count the number of times that I've been driving and wished that I had my camera with me.

BlueTsunami

captive said:

Missed this comment... Thanks captive! And I'm definitely still in awe of the colors you're getting from wild flowers, has me itching to go to a local wild life refuge once Spring is full on. Your Sunset photographs also really draws the eye.

But on another note, I'm so psyched that the weather has been so beautiful as of late. Roamed around a local haunt of mine and got these shots off, I've been shooting like a machine these past few weeks.

*Click for larger

captive

Stalfos said:
I can't count the number of times that I've been driving and wished that I had my camera with me.
Yea, as soon as i get a m4/3rds camera I dont think I will ever not have a camera with me.

BlueTsunami said:
Missed this comment... Thanks captive!
You're welcome. You're pretty consistent in your quality and you're new set is strong as well.

And I'm definitely still in awe of the colors you're getting from wild flowers, has me itching to go to a local wild life refuge once Spring is full on. Your Sunset photographs also really draws the eye.
Thanks!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Got a Canon 450D a couple of weeks back, been trying it out and learning.

Took this a couple of days a ago.

20g1w83.jpg

I took a few similar but I think this was the best of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom