• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

Shooting with a super wide is really fukken hard, but when you get it right, damn, it's some great stuff.

Here's some of what I've done with my 14mm on the A7, to give you some ideas:

Night at Lake Michigan Yacht Club by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170618-20170618-DSC08426-HDR.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170209-20170209-DSC07978-HDR.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20170209-20170209-DSC07957.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20161113-20161113-DSC07437.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr (Portraits have a lot of potential for creativity, but are also very challenging!)
Colors of the Night by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Danielle Included for Scale by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

These are rad, how often would you say you use the 14mm compared to other lenses?

Sort of difficult to say! I do a pretty big variety of stuff. My 50mm is the most used, of course, followed by my 100mm and then the 14mm. I have an 85mm 1.4 that I'll use on occasion, but it's not *super* sharp wide open so I prefer to keep it for specific shots.

Really, I usually carry all my lenses with me and just swap out a lot. Whether I use it really just depends on what I'm trying to do. I'll throw the 14mm on whenever I want a really dramatic photo, or a shot that plays with scale. It's very good at getting a specific subject as the focal point, but still having lots of environment to place it in. Very different shot from my usual bokeh whore close ups.

Also I forgot one of my favorites! UGH
20161106-20161106-DSC07396.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

Really good set, astral.
Thank you!

So I finally finished culling my March trip to Spain, here are some of the shots I like quite a bit

03-2017-Spain-287 by Iker, on Flickr
03-2017-Spain-296 by Iker, on Flickr
03-2017-Spain-320 by Iker, on Flickr
03-2017-Spain-322 by Iker, on Flickr

Okay, I actually really love the first two, love the contrast in them. The second two I'm not so sure on -- they feel like they are too dark IMO.

DD

Okay, I actually really love the first two, love the contrast in them. The second two I'm not so sure on -- they feel like they are too dark IMO.
The first one could be even better if the camera were more centered.

The bottom two are great, but are underexposed.

35186792824_162aebe1c2_b.jpg

Abandoned House
Large Format Ilford HP5 4x5 Film

36310192641_5872b02bbf_b.jpg

Raptor Tower
Kodak Portra 160 pushed 1 stop

35977140830_7b53a21505_b.jpg

Abandoned Truck
Kodak Portra 160 pushed 1 stop

sneaky77

Thank you!

Thanks, I appreciate the criticism. I mostly like the color tone of the sky, but they may be a little dark in there.
I am glad you liked the other 2!

I guess. I'm either shooting with a 35mm...which is more or less a 50mm so I'm pretty in there half the time. Really just depends. I think I want to fill the frame more, but I don't exactly want to jump on people, yes I'm cropping as well.

Get in there, you're there to take a photo, and people are happy to do so. As long as you aren't using a macro lens to stick your lens up their nostril, they'll only be slightly more or less annoyed with a change in a few inches of distance.

Get in there, you're there to take a photo, and people are happy to do so. As long as you aren't using a macro lens to stick your lens up their nostril, they'll only be slightly more or less annoyed with a change in a few inches of distance.
Not everybody wants their picture taken. I have the occasional run in. I've actually annoyed more people at 50mm than I have with the 70-200 and that lens is the obvious lens.

Not everybody wants their picture taken. I have the occasional run in. I've actually annoyed more people at 50mm than I have with the 70-200 and that lens is the obvious lens.

And that's certainly going to be the case -- but if someone is already agreed to take a photo, then they won't mind you getting a half a step closer.

Alternatively, just get the actual 50mm lens, and keep the same distance.

You can always go with the 100-400 Fuji lens lol
That's a birder lens and a bit...too slow aperture wise. I usually do my work with a 70-200 so I already have my sights on the 50-140. It's not even easy to find good youtube reviews about it since like nobody uses the damn thing.

sneaky77

That's a birder lens and a bit...too slow aperture wise. I usually do my work with a 70-200 so I already have my sights on the 50-140. It's not even easy to find good youtube reviews about it since like nobody uses the damn thing.

probably because the 55-200 is not much worse, unless you really need that 2.8 but in the street, most of your photos seem to have some light

probably because the 55-200 is not much worse, unless you really need that 2.8 but in the street, most of your photos seem to have some light
I touch up exposure if need be. Granted as of now this is the summer and the area I usually shoot is decently lit, once the winter hits again and that sun drops...yeah...I'm going to need that 2.8, not to mention I do good amount of natural light portraits. There's also the fact that I love constant aperture lenses and bokeh.

sneaky77

I touch up exposure if need be. Granted as of now this is the summer and the area I usually shoot is decently lit, once the winter hits again and that sun drops...yeah...I'm going to need that 2.8, not to mention I do good amount of natural light portraits. There's also the fact that I love constant aperture lenses and bokeh.

I haven't looked much for reviews for that, but most fuji lenses are good quality, so I don't think you can go wrong to be honest. maybe rent one?

I haven't looked much for reviews for that, but most fuji lenses are good quality, so I don't think you can go wrong to be honest. maybe rent one?
For the most part minus people bitching about it being too big for a mirrorless lens or complaining about the bokeh the images look goodm the lens looks badass and the build quality is supposed to be superb.

brerwolfe

Got to the media hotel in Charlotte last night and had to quickly get to the top of the parking garage to catch the last of the sunlight. Not one of my better aerials, but it's alright. Wish I could've gotten there a couple minutes sooner.

DJI Mavic

Charlotte at Dusk by brerwolfe, on Flickr

Really behind on updating my flickr. Here are some of my favorites from the last couple months:

2017 Zurich Classic - Tripod on the Move by brerwolfe, on Flickr

2017 U.S. Open - Koepka Tee Shot by brerwolfe, on Flickr

2017 U.S. Open - Brooks Koepka Winning Moment by brerwolfe, on Flickr

2017 U.S. Open - Trophy Ceremony by brerwolfe, on Flickr
I like these.

Edit:

More with the XT2:

DSCF5776 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF5659 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF5794 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF5766 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSCF5724 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Thank you. Is it the lower angle and crop? I have also been experimenting with white balance recently to change up the tones and colors.
The framing of it just seems to give a lot more context to him, I feel, and it sort of gives it a look as if it's a part of a movie; catching him in the action of... Whatever that is by his belt makes it feel more alive.

The framing of it just seems to give a lot more context to him, I feel, and it sort of gives it a look as if it's a part of a movie; catching him in the action of... Whatever that is by his belt makes it feel more alive.
Ok...I guess I should keep shooting wider with the XT2 for a bit then...

brerwolfe

Here's an old photo of mine from 2008 - Old and New Yankee Stadiums.

yankee stadiums by brerwolfe, on Flickr

I was a TV camera operator from the blimp, we were working a Yankees/Red Sox game on 4th of July. The blimp ended up having to leave because of approaching weather, but I was able to snag a shot with my cheap-ass DSLR (Nikon D40x) before we got the hell outta there.

RIP in peace my Promaster 19-35mm... just realized today that the aperture ring is stuck. Here's the last shot from it, which happened like 20 mins ago during my testing.

I was actually trying to capture that faint light trail in the middle that's from plane but that SUV drove by right on time and I ended up getting a better shot lol.

As for the lens, I already bought another copy of it. It's become one of my faves due to it's wide angle and sharpness. Plus nobody knows it exists besides the Pentax community so it's ridiculously cheap(<$100) and there a ton of copies in Nikon's F-mount so it's really easy to find.

Surfheart

It's a great lens. Sharp, weather sealed, super fast focus. Some people have talked about unattractive bokeh, but I don't mind it. Can look "swirly" at the long end but I find it adds character to the image.

It's a great lens. Sharp, weather sealed, super fast focus. Some people have talked about unattractive bokeh, but I don't mind it. Can look "swirly" at the long end but I find it adds character to the image.
Even the Tamron I use is said to be distracting bokeh wise, but I love the damn thing, it's definitely my work horse lens. Got an event or portrait shoot you bet your ass I'm taking that fucking thing, I love it. I definitely like the look of what I've been seeing for the most part on the 50-140. I think people have to remember that it's not going to have the same bokeh of a FF camera because the depth of field on APSC is inherently different compared to a FF camera. They should've made it like an F2 or a 1.8, but that thing would've been fucking HUGE.

I've heard every lens ever described as having distracting bokeh.

Conclusion: Bokeh is entirely subjective.
This is true. A photographer I know finds the Tamron "distracting" and likes the bokeh of the Nikon 70-200 better. I personally like it, it has a lot of character. Whatever difference there is isn't getting me to drop more cash on the Nikon equivalent.

Top Bottom