• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays: Final Fantasy 8

Defuser

Dark Octave said:
Sorry to be a troll but...

Worst FF ever.

Junk-tion system = fail.

And so do the characters and plot.
You not knowing the system = fail.

FFVIII Defense force assemble!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOO too early! i'm only at the honey bee inn! guess FFVII goes on the back burner and FFVIII will be where i join this party.

Thermite said:
Wrong on all accounts. GTFO

FF: Mystic Quest > FFVIII :lol It's true.

Ok, even though I believe this to be true (which it is), I'll stop being childish now.

*runs off behind flame resistant shield*

Dark Octave said:
Sorry to be a troll but...

Worst FF ever.

Junk-tion system = fail.

And so do the characters and plot.

Overreact much? It's not like you have to understand every aspect of the junction system to succeed at the game...

Red Scarlet said:
I have a Dex Drive somewhere, but all the saves I have that have him in the party are the Japanese version only. :(

Ahh no biggie. If you end up using Seifer and Edea make sure to post plenty of pics!

lordmrw

I only got as far as disc two when I first played this and stopped back in 99 or so. THis is gonna be a fresh experience. I'll start playing friday afternoon along with everyone else.

itxaka

Defeatist
Damn, my Ps2 broke one month ago...And my FF8 and MGS are saying "play me" like mad.

What the hell, I´ll play them on an emulator with AA, time to rip the four discs!

Roxas

I think i am going to start my game either late Tuesday or Wednesday morning. I cant do it Thursday or Friday so i wanna get a good headstart before Aeana starts ripping through the game :D

Thermite said:
Wrong on all accounts. GTFO
His post was stupid, but the story was its biggest downfall. The characters, save the three soldiers you play as in the past, are decent, but them losing their memories and the plot degressing from that point on just pissed me off, and I was only 13 at the time (I think).

I had some memorable moments in the game. The junction system was okay... I preferred the system in 7 or 9 though. Out of all of them, 10 had the best IMO.

I'm tempted to play it again... but I can't bring myself to do it. Maybe I will after I finish 12. It's about time to finish that one.

itxaka

Defeatist
BlackGoku03 said:
His post was stupid, but the story was its biggest downfall. The characters, save the three soldiers you play as in the past, are decent, but them losing their memories and the plot degressing from that point on just pissed me off, and I was only 13 at the time (I think).

I had some memorable moments in the game. The junction system was okay... I preferred the system in 7 or 9 though. Out of all of them, 10 had the best IMO.

I'm tempted to play it again... but I can't bring myself to do it. Maybe I will after I finish 12. It's about time to finish that one.

junction system IS awesome. You can practicaly lost hours checking different combinations, junctions, magic, and extracting magic to use it on junction. I lost hours and hours making comparations between characters and GFs and the best strategies to go trhough the game.

But the history is shit, I hate Irvine and his face, I hate Zell and his attitude, I hate Squall "the mute idiot" and I hate Rinoa. I only like Seifer, Edea (hot), Quistis (super-hot) and the others. I love the game for the combat and junction complexity but hate it for the history.

Himuro said:
Massive FF8 Info Dump

Holy crap, Himuro. I feel like I just went through some bizarre FF8 boot camp. Great post, I didn't realize half of this stuff when I played it way back in 2000. Thanks!

Thermite

BlackGoku03 said:

I agree that VIII's story isn't exactly a strong point in the game, and I also agree that a lot of the characters weren't really appealing. However, to say this game is the worst in the entire Final Fantasy series is just plain wrong. What it lacked in story/characters it made up for in ten fold with the junction system.

I love being able to completely customize my stats with different types of magic seeing what makes what increase the most. I loved being able to mix and match GFs to see which combination unlocks every stat change available the fastest. Just as 'itxaka' said he did in the post above me, I also spent hours upon hours figuring out what works best.

I can't definitively say which stat system is best in the Final Fantasy series since I haven't played every single one yet and for some reason I can't remember how exactly X's worked, but I can say it is my favorite system thus far. (The only ones I haven't played yet is IV, V, and VI)

Lets do these once a month. that way you have 1 month to complete the game in question, and we dont get too much overlap on the playing to drive us all insane.

I have some ideas i've been throwing around with himumu and aeana for next month, we'll see what pans out. For now, FF8!

Oh my god, I'm in. I'll only be able to devote a few hours a day though.

BTW, my first playthrough I didn't understand how the stat boosting worked when you level, so I never used it! I did Ult with level 100 characters and gimp stats -- the fight took like 4 hours of aura/heal/pew pew.

ethelred

Final Fantasy VIII is awesome, and I'd really love to go through it again, but I'm just dealing with way too many games right now. :/

Sorry guys! Have fun.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You know, till this day I still can't find that card queen or whatever that's supposed to be around the outside of the big city. I walked around that area so much looking for it I literally maxed out everything.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is still easily the best FMV opening to an FF game. So stylized, dramatic and awesome.

We're putting together an official gaf plays rules and suggestions thread to establish some guidelines for future threads of this nature, and to give people plenty of time to complete the games in question. Watch for it!

Thermite

Himuro said:
Well I like the story and characters. FFVIII's world is probably my favorite in the series.

If only they'd make a prequel starring Laguna, Kiros, and Ward. I would jizz in one million cups.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like the story and setting, it's just that I don't think it's the game's strongest point. Final Fantasy VIII, after all, has one of my favorite settings/plot points ever,
Lunatic Pandora
. So many different incredible events take place there.

I would gladly jizz into a million cups alongside you if there was a prequel starring Laguna, Kiros, and Ward...as long as there was a Junction system involved. :p

Also, how the hell could I forget to mention the card system? This is easily the single greatest "mini-game" ever implemented in a video game, period.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
pancakesandsex said:
We're putting together an official gaf plays rules and suggestions thread to establish some guidelines for future threads of this nature, and to give people plenty of time to complete the games in question. Watch for it!
Would it be restricted to just RPGs?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Won't be able to join you guys for a little over a week, but I can certainly contribute to the discussion :D

Fady K

FFVIII, it was a wonderful game, had a great battle system, some of the best graphics of its time, and the last unbelievable great Uematsu soundtracks. But man - I hated the story - it hated it so much.

ethelred said:
Final Fantasy VIII is awesome, and I'd really love to go through it again, but I'm just dealing with way too many games right now. :/

Sorry guys! Have fun.

You're doing the right thing man, I myself have plenty of RPGs id like to go through again, but I have too much to go through too. What are you currently playing btw?

ethelred

Fady K said:
You're doing the right thing man, I myself have plenty of RPGs id like to go through again, but I have too much to go through too. What are you currently playing btw?

Unfortunately, mere hours after making that remark, I was sidetracked into starting up a different old game (one that I've replayed much less recently than Final Fantasy VIII). Oh well. It sounded good at the time.

pancakesandsex said:
Running from the mech in dollet sucks!

doing that now! RUN RUN RUN!

Running does suck. It's much more fun to win.

Defuser

pancakesandsex said:
Running from the mech in dollet sucks!

doing that now! RUN RUN RUN!
You can destroy it on the bridge which nets you 50 AP points and 100 points to your SeeD test score.

I couldnt do enough damage to it at once to get the kill.

I wound up with seed rank 6 after the test.. Stopped before what i THINK is the dance scene.

whats the best seed rank you can get from the seed test?

SantaC

ethelred said:
Unfortunately, mere hours after making that remark, I was sidetracked into starting up a different old game (one that I've replayed much less recently than Final Fantasy VIII). Oh well. It sounded good at the time.

Running does suck. It's much more fun to win.

you can beat that MECH

SantaC

well it is easy to summarize how to play FFVIII the right way.

Don't use your summors . Use the summons instead to refine stuff. You really dont need to use magic (aura is the exception) nor summons in this game. Use instead both to maximaze your "normal" attack and abilities. (junction)

Attack + Limitbreaks along with a good defense is how you get around in FF8 easily.

Also dont make any new weapons for squall except for lionheart.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I hoped you'd jump over this one, personally I don't like FF8's stupid Junction system and all that jazz. :(

Fady K

ethelred said:

Which one?

firex

I'll get in on this after I'm done replaying Breath of Fire 4. I still have never beaten FF8 and I don't remember all the tricks to the game (aside from junction system = sploits) but who cares, I'll hopefully enjoy it more this time and maybe I can actually finish it. I only quit before because I missed some stupid sidequest thing and got past the point of no return, then felt no desire to continue...

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Okay... I'm going to blitz through FF7 and hopefully I'll be on track for this at weekend (damn life-sucking Disgaea)
I just wish this game was all about Laguna and that war :(. The system and the soundtrack are top notch anyway.

Chris R

Found it at my local shop :D Had to ask to see the PS1 collection they had though, they put it behind the counter to make room for stupid anime movies they think us nerds might rent :lol

Now to rip it for use in my PSP :D

I just started on FFVII. I really do need to finish that game. D:

Looks like I will be switching boats to FFVIII then. (I need to finish this too)

(I also need to finish FFIX. There will be a GAF Plays: FFIX, right?)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Crap, I've been contemplating replaying FFX or finally giving FXII a fair go and now this tempts me. Sadly I sold FFVIII along with a few other PS1 games awhile back. Yeah it was flawed, but I'm a sucker for the cheesy love story in this game, probably because I watched my ex play through the entire game at the peak of my believing in silly things like love. :D

Best of luck to all those participating.

Mr_Moogle

FFVIII is the only FF game where I got every character to level 100 and they were monsters. I used the technique described in Humuros post. By not levelling the characters until the latter stage of the game, you could get 90 odd bonus points for every stat. By the end, when I had all the ultimate weapons, limits and stats, my characters were gods. :D

Other tips...

- take the Card side quest seriously. Its absolutely worth it. I would go so far to get a FAQ that lists the rare character cards because some of them are very easy to miss, and with many you only get one chance throughout the course of the game.

- Draw and Card. Do whatever it takes to get 99 of each magic because this is critical in boosting your stats.

- The Islands of Heaven and Hell. (I think thats what theyre called) These are two islands, they are located at opposite sides of the world map. You can find em easy cos they are the most far west, and far east islands. This is where you can fight the toughest enemies and get the best loot. This place is critical for when you reach the late stage in the game and want to start levelling your characters.

Top Bottom