• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays: Final Fantasy 8

MidiSurf

Banned
This game just awful, huge disappointment IMO. Only good thing in this game was the card game and collecting cards. It was pretty much the only part i enjoyed. But i quess it did something right cos' i finished it.

Yasser

Saitou said:
I wouldn't play FFVIII if my life depended on it, surely won't do it for GAF.
go find a support group for people with shitty taste and make these kind of comments over there

I will say that, when I first started playing FFVIII, I was indifferent. I then vehemently hated it by the 3rd disk, but I toughed it out to the end. Years later, I reevaluated my stance on the series, and I now consider it to the best of the PSX era. At the time (when I was younger), I was coming off both FFVII and FFT, which may have distorted my view.

Danj

Seems like I only have the PC version of FF8, does anyone know if it still works on XP or does it need fan patches like FF7PC did?

STG!

Awesome, glad to see this thread, especially since I replayed and completed FFVII before that other thread started up.

Thanks to the PSP emulation scene, I decided to finally replay with the intent to conquer FFVIII once and for all, as I gave up playing through this game when it originally came out... If you've seen some of the compatability lists out there for the PSP, the emulation of this game is spotty, but to have it in portable form is wonderful. I'm using the code SLPS02180 (Dino Crisis) as my game ID for converting my original game CD rips to playable PSP files. While it's not perfect, for example: a slight chug in battle using the Attack command, the Junction screen slows down and a few iffy spots with some of the really long pre-rendered area's, it's the most stable and doesn't crash horribly like it's regular game ID. Really, the worst part about it is whenever a Junction tutorial pops up early on in the game. Once you get past that, the rest is pretty tolerable IMO.

So now I'm at the third disc trying to get the Tonberry King GF and Eden GF. I've attempted Ultima Weapon a few times already and have just been crushed each and every time. So I'm going back to stock up on the higher magics like Ultima for each character, to try and max out a few of my statistics, as that's something I really haven't done throughout the game. I think I got a decent strategy planned out for tackling him, but if anyone has any good pointers that they've used I'd be curious to hear them! I'm planning on start the battle with Doomtrain GF to lower his defense (Meltdown if he dies with Light Pillar), cast Aura on Squall for his limit break, and just try to keep the group alive through his devastating attacks. I'm thinking of even reducing the battle speed just so I can keep a better handle on things. Similar strategies seemed to work well with Bahamut and Jumbo Cactuar.

The only downside is that Squall is at level 70-ish, and the rest of my characters that I'm using (Rinoa, Selphie) are in the 50's. After reading this thread I really wish I kept my character levels lower, but there's not much I can do now. Fun game.

Danj said:
Seems like I only have the PC version of FF8, does anyone know if it still works on XP or does it need fan patches like FF7PC did?

I need to know this, because I can't find a PS1 memory card right now and I'd rather not have to find a TV.

I have no TV in my room, a PS2, a copy of FF8, and no PS1 memory card. I guess I could leave it on all weekend, but I'd rather not.

Danj

RiskyChris said:
I have no TV in my room, a PS2, a copy of FF8, and no PS1 memory card. I guess I could leave it on all weekend, but I'd rather not.

Why does your having a PS2 have anything to do with it? Or do you have a PSX version of FF8? In which case, you can just use an emulator. I can't, though, because I have the actual PC version (published by Eidos in the UK). I see there's a 1.2 patch for people with Geforce cards on their web site, anybody know if this adds/improves XP compatibility?

Danj said:
Why does your having a PS2 have anything to do with it? Or do you have a PSX version of FF8? In which case, you can just use an emulator. I can't, though, because I have the actual PC version (published by Eidos in the UK). I see there's a 1.2 patch for people with Geforce cards on their web site, anybody know if this adds/improves XP compatibility?

Well I have the PS1 version of ff8, meaning I can use the PS2, but not having a PS1 mem card kinda stymies the whole process.

I should try it out with an emulator. I never considered that option.

RiskyChris said:
Well I have the PS1 version of ff8, meaning I can use the PS2, but not having a PS1 mem card kinda stymies the whole process.

I should try it out with an emulator. I never considered that option.
I've made a little guide a few weeks ago: works wonders.

Danj

Right but seriously guys.. does nobody else here own FF8 PC? I guess that means I'll have to slog through installing all 5 discs myself to find out if it works.

Thermite

STG! said:
Awesome, glad to see this thread, especially since I replayed and completed FFVII before that other thread started up.

Thanks to the PSP emulation scene, I decided to finally replay with the intent to conquer FFVIII once and for all, as I gave up playing through this game when it originally came out... If you've seen some of the compatability lists out there for the PSP, the emulation of this game is spotty, but to have it in portable form is wonderful. I'm using the code SLPS02180 (Dino Crisis) as my game ID for converting my original game CD rips to playable PSP files. While it's not perfect, for example: a slight chug in battle using the Attack command, the Junction screen slows down and a few iffy spots with some of the really long pre-rendered area's, it's the most stable and doesn't crash horribly like it's regular game ID. Really, the worst part about it is whenever a Junction tutorial pops up early on in the game. Once you get past that, the rest is pretty tolerable IMO.

Dino Crisis ID, eh? Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out again this weekend after I finish up with FFVII and see how it works. I'm extremely draw-happy, so as you can imagine, it was crashing on me a lot when I was testing it out on the PSP. If this doesn't work, I'll just install an emulator and run it on my PC.

Rolf NB

Danj said:
Right but seriously guys.. does nobody else here own FF8 PC? I guess that means I'll have to slog through installing all 5 discs myself to find out if it works.
I can't try it anymore, but as I recall it worked great on some Radeon cards and exotic shit like Kyro and Matrox, but there were some issues with later Nvidia cards. Also heavily depends on driver versions. XP itself doesn't matter all that much. Just try it out.

All right. I put VII back on the shelf.

Going to plow through Star Tropics before we start.

In searching for my copy of VIII, I found the demo in my Musashi jewel case. I popped it in for a larf. And wowowowowow. I don't remember the music being that GOOD. Did they change it? It doesn't sound anything like that in the full version...

Link1110

Alright, PSP users, what POPS version are you using? It froze at the spiderbot on 3.72. I'm only using individual discs (2gb card isn't big enough for ff8,) so I can go back easily.

I was getting into the junctioning. Last time I played, I didn't know anything about junctioning, and made it to
Lunatic Pandora
only equipping GFs and using boost.

Roxas

I'm thinking of starting this tonight fellow Gaffer's..is this ok? Like i explained in an earlier post, i wont be around on Friday so i want to get a headstart :)

Diablos54

Okay, screw VII, I'm at an easy part to get back into (Wutai). FF VIII's my favourite game of all time, so it takes priority! I should start sometime tonight. :D

Oh, and thanks for the ePSXe guide InsertCredit!

Diablos54 said:
Okay, screw VII, I'm at an easy part to get back into (Wutai). FF VIII's my favourite game of all time, so it takes priority! I should start sometime tonight. :D

Oh, and thanks for the ePSXe guide InsertCredit!

Incidentally, Wutai is about where I quit nearly every time I try playing FF7 again. Fuck that place.

Spiegel

Danj said:

It works on XP.

Danj

Spiegel said:
It works on XP.

Yeah, seems to be working OK... it doesn't install all the discs, only the install disc, and you have to have the current disc in your first optical drive while playing. Also seemed to have some trouble when Hardware rendering was selected, I got black boxes around stuff. Works fine with Software rendering though. Also seems to work with D3DWindower.

Diablos54

And so it begins...

6khvmhj.jpg

6z3t6y8.jpg

Man I love this game. :D

STG!

Link1110 said:
Alright, PSP users, what POPS version are you using? It froze at the spiderbot on 3.72. I'm only using individual discs (2gb card isn't big enough for ff8,) so I can go back easily.

I was getting into the junctioning. Last time I played, I didn't know anything about junctioning, and made it to
Lunatic Pandora
only equipping GFs and using boost.

I'm using 3.52 M33-4 as my default firmware, I should have mentioned that in my original post. Sorry about that. Seems that the best compatibility is with that firmware, and using the Dino Crisis ID to run the actual game. I also set the max CPU speed to 333, and I don't run the game with a stretched screen mode.

I did read about someone who wrote up some code to switch between two popular game ID's to play the game without the slowdown that comes along with using the stable Dino Crisis game ID, but I didn't try that out.

Thermite said:
Dino Crisis ID, eh? Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out again this weekend after I finish up with FFVII and see how it works. I'm extremely draw-happy, so as you can imagine, it was crashing on me a lot when I was testing it out on the PSP. If this doesn't work, I'll just install an emulator and run it on my PC.

Funny how VII ran perfectly, but VIII has these issues. Took a bit of trial and error, and a lot of searching via google. Hope that helps anyone who plans on playing it on their PSP.

BTW, I'd de-emphasize the importance of drawing in the OP. Using Card and Steal to refine items is waaaayy more efficient and more fun than drawing. In my replay I had a strong party while only using the Draw battle command for particularly uncommon spells or GFs.

AdmiralViscen said:
BTW, I'd de-emphasize the importance of drawing in the OP. Using Card and Steal to refine items is waaaayy more efficient and more fun than drawing. In my replay I had a strong party while only using the Draw battle command for particularly uncommon spells or GFs.

Drawing's also not actually that bad, though, once you junction a halfway decent spell to your magic stat. It's not difficult at all to get your magic high enough that you're drawing 9 of each spell per shot, and once you do that it's similarly not that hard to make the 11 draws it takes to fill your slot of that spell. I found that a mix of drawing and refining was the most convenient and least irritating for me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Those were awesome insights, Himuro. I've only played the game once, but now I'm really considering replaying it to toy around with the possibilities. It's much deeper than I thought.

Sule

PC version here. Started playing when the FFVII thread popped up since I don't own 7. I'm on disc 2 now but I think I'll start over and try to figure out the whole junctioning system and keep the characters low-level. You have to change some things but it definitely works on XP.

Started the game up tonight. Quick question: Is there any way to make the "CARD" command any more effective? It sure does miss a lot...

Mac the KNife said:
Started the game up tonight. Quick question: Is there any way to make the "CARD" command any more effective? It sure does miss a lot...
Cards are garbage. I just broke blew up Trabia garden. I like the dreams more than the actual game. I wish Laguna and the boys got a spin-off.

Still on basic weapons because the garbage upgrade system, junctioning magic is always a chore. Music is a delight.

Red Scarlet

Mac the KNife said:

Think of 'card' as this game's version of 'morph'. I *think* in this game, the badguy needs to be at under 25% HP for it to work, but I may be wrong on the percent.

coldvein

Banned
damn, wish i still had this game. one of the couple main FF's i haven't finished..

when i was in highschool i traded a couple hits of acid for a brand new copy of FF8 right when it came out. went out that night, started coming down, returned home and put the game in. the swordfight scene rocked my face. happy memories! have fun fellows.

mann................ i want to do this so bad. But I just decided last weekend to go back and finish DDS1 (i ended up restarting it). And I just ordered today DDS2 off ebay, and I plan on seamlessly playing the two of them. I might be able to pick up and start on FFVII last next week but I'm not sure if I have it in me......

what the fuck am I talking about of course I do! LOL VIII ftw!

roxya

Started today. Dear god, the junctioning tutorials are slooooooooooow on PSP. At least they're done with :lol

Pakman

Danj said:
Yeah, seems to be working OK... it doesn't install all the discs, only the install disc, and you have to have the current disc in your first optical drive while playing. Also seemed to have some trouble when Hardware rendering was selected, I got black boxes around stuff. Works fine with Software rendering though. Also seems to work with D3DWindower.

Works on Vista 64 also. Good thing you mentioned that software rendering though - I forgot that you had to change it to get rid of those black boxes.

STG!

Sweet. Setting battle speed to SLOW really helped.
Eden.png

And to stay on the slow topic...

roxya said:
Started today. Dear god, the junctioning tutorials are slooooooooooow on PSP. At least they're done with :lol

Yeah, drove me nuts, practically fell asleep the first time, then the times after that I just surfed the web and kept tapping X. :)

Aeana

Looks like lots of people started early. :O
Have fun, guys!

I'm still not going to be able to start until Friday.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The thing with the tutorials in this game is that you CAN skip them, but you can only do so in the second when the text box opens on screen... push triangle I think (or circle?). Most of you probably mashed start a few times and expected the game to respond like a normal modern title... but Square was weird with their UIs back in the day. They didn't have a really decent pause button until FFX.

dantes563

Jay-suss Cry'st...

My first post here on GAF....cuz I saw FFVIII. This was by far my favorite FF game ever (of course FFVII right behind IMO). The story was awesome and the CG scenes were beautiful...Rinoa ballroom dance for teh win!!!

Magic junctioning was so fun and exploration for the little things in the game made for horus of adventuring goodness. And ultimate limit breaker.......godly...

SantaC

dantes563 said:
Jay-suss Cry'st...

My first post here on GAF....cuz I saw FFVIII. This was by far my favorite FF game ever (of course FFVII right behind IMO). The story was awesome and the CG scenes were beautiful...Rinoa ballroom dance for teh win!!!

Magic junctioning was so fun and exploration for the little things in the game made for horus of adventuring goodness. And ultimate limit breaker.......godly...

agreed.

Top Bottom