• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Just started back again today. Used to run competitively in college but got burnt out. Went out for a little over 3 miles and was running ~7:25 pace which isn't bad. Hopefully by June I'll have my base back and can get back to doing 8-12 mile runs at sub 7 pace.

Fisico

I think the actual running gets easier the further you go (no duh) I mean like, the first 15 minutes is hard, then it gets easier so by the time its done, you feel like you could go even further.

Yeah 100% this (and it's even worse in swimming imo) I noticed that when I started three-four years ago, I think it's just the "wake up" time for your body lol, you can probably reduce the effect by doing a bit of stretching and more warming up.

I think the actual running gets easier the further you go (no duh) I mean like, the first 15 minutes is hard, then it gets easier so by the time its done, you feel like you could go even further.

Odd, it's usually the reverse where the beginning is super easy (inexperienced people tend to run a quicker pace than they can maintain) and the run becomes tougher to negative split as you go on. Are you new to running? Maybe that's the issue.

Odd, it's usually the reverse where the beginning is super easy (inexperienced people tend to run a quicker pace than they can maintain) and the run becomes tougher to negative split as you go on. Are you new to running? Maybe that's the issue.

It's probably not doing the warm up properly. I've been running of some sort for a couple of years now.

First 10K race of 2017 done last night (Powered by a can of smoked anchovies! The keto diet works!)

I had chiptime of 54:24 / Gun Time 55:34.
My goal was to sub-55 mins, a little disappointed I didn't manage the gun time by a measley 35 seconds... But I'm really happy that I beat my last race of 58:58.

Woo progress!

Gemüsestäbchen;233848199 said:
First 10K race of 2017 done last night (Powered by a can of smoked anchovies! The keto diet works!)

I had chiptime of 54:24 / Gun Time 55:34.
My goal was to sub-55 mins, a little disappointed I didn't manage the gun time by a measley 35 seconds... But I'm really happy that I beat my last race of 58:58.

Woo progress!

Congrats!!!! Any idea what you'll do for your next race? I'm considering a half marathon over the summer if I can get back in shape.

^I did a 10k race last night too! It wasn't London was it??

Well done on your time! I wouldn't worry about gun time, that's only important for the leaders really.

^I did a 10k race last night too! It wasn't London was it??

Well done on your time! I wouldn't worry about gun time, that's only important for the leaders really.

Yeah it was! The one in the 2012 Olympic park - I was at first put off by the four laps - but the route was really nice - seeing the sunset and mad dark clouds was a pretty view.

I'm really happy to be sub-55 mins on chip time!
I'm pondering another in May - I want medalzzzz :D

Congrats!!!! Any idea what you'll do for your next race? I'm considering a half marathon over the summer if I can get back in shape.

Thanks! ^_^
My goal this year was 2 x 10K, 1 x 10 mile and 1 x half in autumn.
Mostly looking at improving form, technique and such - nose breathing is the new thing and it def felt a lot better in the race last night.

How about you?

Danielsan

I really want to get back into running. I moved to a new city a little over a year ago in order live together with my girlfriend. At my old place I was just a brief 5 minute run removed from the woods and dunes and within 10 minutes I was able to run on the beach. Now I live smack dab in the middle of the city. I do have a very small park close by, but I think a run through that wouldn't last me more than 5 minutes. Not being able to run through nature / in privacy has made putting my running shoes on so much more daunting. I'm now thinking about picking up some new running gear to boost my motivation.

I've never been able to run with music, both due earbuds flopping out of my ears and not being able to hone down on my breathing while running. But I'm thinking about giving running to music another shot, especially now I have to deal with the boring scenery of the city. I was wondering whether you guys bring music to your runs, and if so, what kind of device you use? I don't like bulky phones strapped to my arm, or devices flopping around in my shorts, so I've been eyeing both the Sony nw-ws413 and the TomTom spark 3 cardio + music as a way to bring music to my running experience. The Sony nw-ws413 seems to be the cheapest and more dedicated solution. Though I'm a bit worried about the weight of these earbuds, and they look a bit silly. The TomTom spark 3 requires a larger investment, and I already own a GPS watch (granted, an old Niké Sportswatch that might be due for an upgrade). It does have the benefit of being able to pair up any Bluetooth earbuds/headphones. Does anyone have any experiences with these devices?

Corbec

Neo Member
I really want to get back into running. I moved to a new city a little over a year ago in order live together with my girlfriend. At my old place I was just a brief 5 minute run removed from the woods and dunes and within 10 minutes I was able to run on the beach. Now I live smack dab in the middle of the city. I do have a very small park close by, but I think a run through that wouldn’t last me more than 5 minutes. Not being able to run through nature / in privacy has made putting my running shoes on so much more daunting. I’m now thinking about picking up some new running gear to boost my motivation.

I’ve never been able to run with music, both due earbuds flopping out of my ears and not being able to hone down on my breathing while running. But I’m thinking about giving running to music another shot, especially now I have to deal with the boring scenery of the city. I was wondering whether you guys bring music to your runs, and if so, what kind of device you use? I don’t like bulky phones strapped to my arm, or devices flopping around in my shorts, so I’ve been eyeing both the Sony nw-ws413 and the TomTom spark 3 cardio + music as a way to bring music to my running experience. The Sony nw-ws413 seems to be the cheapest and more dedicated solution. Though I’m a bit worried about the weight of these earbuds, and they look a bit silly. The TomTom spark 3 requires a larger investment, and I already own a GPS watch (granted, an old Niké Sportswatch that might be due for an upgrade). It does have the benefit of being able to pair up any Bluetooth earbuds/headphones. Does anyone have any experiences with these devices?

I use a cheap running belt to hold my phone my keys, id, credit card and sometimes an energy gel. No bouncing, no fuss. Something like this

I would also err on the side of cheap Bluetooth headphones as every expensive sweat proof pair I've bought kicked the bucket pretty quickly. These are currently my go to running earphones; cheap, 6 hour battery life with good standby,and the hard link means no flopping cables.

Linius

I've tried running with music every now and then but for some reason it just isn't for me. Which is strange since music is my life line. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is turning on my installation. But in the event of running it doesn't really work for me. It's more of a distraction.

I too live in a city center by the way. I look out on the busiest square in town. Due to the enormous amount of bicycle paths around here I do have plenty options for routes though. Change of scenery keeps me going.

ZgmlWZa.jpg

Having this right behind city center also helps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do you start out running? Currently I'm walkin a lot more than I used to - 3x 30 minute brisk walks to/from work and at lunch. If I go to a client office it's almost a 5km walk back to the station which takes about 45 minutes.

Should I try and do more 5km walks to build stamina, or start to jog in sections of my walk on my way home?

Gemüsestäbchen;233848683 said:
Yeah it was! The one in the 2012 Olympic park - I was at first put off by the four laps - but the route was really nice - seeing the sunset and mad dark clouds was a pretty view.

I'm really happy to be sub-55 mins on chip time!
I'm pondering another in May - I want medalzzzz :D

We did the same race :) It was pretty windy but the sky was amazing by the end. I like their races, cool medals!

Music-wise I either carry my phone in an arm-band or use a SanDisk Clip Sport. The Sport is quite small and has expandable storage via microSDHC cards, great little device.

How do you start out running? Currently I'm walkin a lot more than I used to - 3x 30 minute brisk walks to/from work and at lunch. If I go to a client office it's almost a 5km walk back to the station which takes about 45 minutes.

Should I try and do more 5km walks to build stamina, or start to jog in sections of my walk on my way home?

The Couch to 5K program seems to be pretty popular. If I recall someone from RunGAF followed it successfully, and I managed to hook my mother on running using the same one. Give it a try.

Fistwell

I’ve never been able to run with music, both due earbuds flopping out of my ears and not being able to hone down on my breathing while running. But I’m thinking about giving running to music another shot, especially now I have to deal with the boring scenery of the city. I was wondering whether you guys bring music to your runs, and if so, what kind of device you use? I don’t like bulky phones strapped to my arm, or devices flopping around in my shorts, so I’ve been eyeing both the Sony nw-ws413 and the TomTom spark 3 cardio + music as a way to bring music to my running experience. The Sony nw-ws413 seems to be the cheapest and more dedicated solution. Though I’m a bit worried about the weight of these earbuds, and they look a bit silly. The TomTom spark 3 requires a larger investment, and I already own a GPS watch (granted, an old Niké Sportswatch that might be due for an upgrade). It does have the benefit of being able to pair up any Bluetooth earbuds/headphones. Does anyone have any experiences with these devices?
I have some sony walkman thing, it's fine and light enough.

I'd just try different things and see what you like. The couch to 5k thing D mentioned is popular. Some people do jog-walking (alternating between both, c25k has that I think), some people just start jogging really, really slowly (what I did).

Fisico

I think it's already pretty good that you're walking that much on a near daily basis.
If you really walk near 5km in 45mn then you're a fast walker too, how do you feel after walking like that?

We'd need to confirm with your fitness (size/weight) but I'd say that you could almost already just... start as is, you should grab a good pair of shoes, wear a t shirt not too tight and preferably for running (lower price ones might cost 10-15) but normal t shirts are fine to start with too.

Depending on the temperature you might wear something additional on top (if temperature is lower than 12-15°), same way for bottom if it's >15° make yourself comfortable and wear shorts.

But I'm already into details to make it more comfortable, just... try running, not too fast to see how long you can last, try to breath a bit more to bring oxygen to your body and see how it goes, if you can run non stop that's an awesome start, if it's too much on your body don't hesitate to take short breaks and run once again.

Be aware that at first it might be hard though, you begin to take pleasure and becomes addicted later on, running with others (even at a slower than you might get used to) help a lot too.

Gemüsestäbchen;233852967 said:
Cool! Yes that wind came out of the blue after such a beautiful day... Fine running weather though.
How'd you do?

Around 41 minutes for the 10k, was quite a nice course for a fast time. Hopefully I can get it down to 40 again soon!

I second couch to 5k. Good way to slowly build up. Last thing we want is for you to ramp up quickly then get injured. If it feels way too easy though you can skip a week ahead. What I will lastly recommend is listen to your body early on. If something hurts abnormally (not just sore) don't keep pushing.

Danielsan

Did my first non-thread-mill run in forever last night. Terrible pace (5:23/km) and my legs quickly turning to lead, but it's a start I guess. I really want to get back intro the groove. Aiming to do 3-4 runs a week, though at this point running more than once a week would be a victory in and of itself. First performance goal will be to get back in shape enough to consistently run 5k within 25 minutes. Not sure how long to should realistically take me, but I figure it should be doable within a month / 6 weeks.

panda-zebra

Dang, Kevin, fantastic work! 3:15 was the "dream," uh? ;)

Great job!

Thanks! Sorry I've been, ummm, unable to comment until today ;-)

I was advised to aim for 3:10 to give a little room for problems at the end. Hardest thing was keeping it calm and steady to begin with, lots of people passed in the first 8 miles or so and I had to keep telling myself to run my own race.

I was expecting it to get tough sooner, and had a little extra time saved up (it was ridiculously flat) but the last 5k is where it got tough. Thanks to the fail in the 20 mile race a few weeks earlier when I forgot to fuel, I had been cramming the medjool dates and gels in regularly and the wall wasn't quite the barrier I feared.

Doing the numbers and predicting various finish times was not healthy, but I couldn't stop myself. Knowing I could run a few 10-minute miles and still be "OK" made it a real problem to keep on it, also fighting a water bottle that refused to open in my cramped hands haha.

Not doing any more fast/flat/road ones until next year, but I do have a hill marathon to go at in 2 months, a 24-hour race towards the end of the year, and a hardmoors trail marathon in November. I blame my brother's influence here, I really don't enjoy the stress and effort required in preparation for this stuff. He's doing the Liverpool to Manchester 50 miler right now, I'm going to scoot off to the local parkrun then meet up with him for the last 20 miles, see how recovered I really am.

Bleh.

Wanted to finally break 25min for a 5k today and missed it by a few seconds which are down to taking a quick stop to fix my laces on these new shoes.

Next week I am gonna blast through 25 minutes so hard. I tell ya'.

I tripped over and fell hard when running yesterday, scraped a fair bit of skin off my hands and my arm, cut my knee a wee bit so I'll have to take a couple of days break which is frustrating. On the plus side.

17884418_690705264445874_3984942662490916325_n.jpg

Pace is a lot better when sprinting. I can improve on that as well, feels like it already.

littledipster

Neo Member
How did our Boston GAF'ers do?

It was HOT out! It was my first Boston and the crowd support honestly amazes me, it is nonstop crowded essentially the whole way with spectators cheering you on! The Newton hills definitely took their toll on me because in the last 2 miles my legs were feeling horrible, and I couldn't pick up the pace at all with the finish line in view like I normally so. I somehow managed to PR by thirty seconds (The time is unofficial right now, but I don't think it will change) with a 2:49:33. All things considered I am very happy with the result!!

Linius

Bleh.

Wanted to finally break 25min for a 5k today and missed it by a few seconds which are down to taking a quick stop to fix my laces on these new shoes.

Had a 25:06 and a 25:45 in the past month. Not really focussing on time. Might be time again to break the 25 minute barrier. I'll have to anyways if I want those under 50 minutes times again on 10K.

I don't think I have the mileage to be ready for a BQ attempt for next years race, I've run about 383 miles YTD and I am pushing for a 1:45 half marathon this week. I really need to think about what I want to do coming into the fall.

I want to try and BQ one day, but need to figure out a way to squeeze all the mileage in once I start improving all my times across the board.

One of these days I'll go and try lol.

Bleh.

You'll get there! It took my some time before I managed to go from about a 26:30 to a sub-25 but if I can do it you can too! Just stick with it.

Now my new goal is to run a sub-25 and almost got it last Saturday -.-

shandy706

Ok guys, I'm going to be the biggest noob in here probably....but I need help getting motivated/working out time to run. I'd be open to any suggestions. Problem is, I have basically a dead solid schedule that can't change...and I can't run during work hours, as I'm basically booked from arrival to leaving.

Mon - Friday I work.

Mon - Thursday:

I get up at 6 am., fix meals for daughters' school lunches. Take a shower. Get daughters up and get them dressed. Fix kids hair. Get fully dressed. Out door by 7:30. Getting kids ready is a lot of work, lol. Drop girls off at school. Drive to office. I'm an inspector so my job is basically a 10 hour block of no go. I do get a 1 hour lunch, but I can't get hot and sweaty and I often have to spend my lunch overseeing things...as I eat..bleh. I get off work at 6pm. I have to pick my daughters up by 6:30pm and it's a 25 minute drive to get them. I get home around 6:45-7pm depending on traffic. Now..in the next 2 1/2 hours I want to spend time with my daughters...because that's all I get with my kids all week. Usually supper/homework takes a good hour of that. Now it is 8pm. I try to spend at least 30min to 1hr with my girls and they have to get a shower during that time..what's the point of having kids if you just ignore them all week? Now it's 9pm. I suppose this is where I get some free time as they tend to fall asleep by 9:30...10 if they're wired for some reason. ZERO motivation to do much of any workout by this time.

I have thought about running while they play at the park in the evenings and have tried this a couple times. But all I can do is lap the playground...that doesn't have a track. I'm soooooo freaking tired usually by this time (6:30-7pm or later) that I just say screw it, also my 4 year old can't just run off and play while I take off and run (her sister is 9). I can't leave my daughters to play on their own having a toddler.

Friday/Weekend:

I'm off at noon Friday (same morning routine), and my weekends are pretty open. Is just running on say Friday afternoon, or maybe once or twice on the weekend going to do me some good? Serious question. I'm overweight, but I played a ton of sports growing up..including 14 years of soccer, 4 years of football, numerous other sports..etc. Doctor says I have a good heart...so that's a plus.

Now another kicker, I'm a single father with full custody. I often need to do ALL my activities with consideration of my little girls.

Any suggestions, where do I start? Anyone that can relate? I want to start running for my health, and so I'm here longer for my kids.

Fake edit* I'm a HORRIBLE morning person, as in I might as well be dead to the world before 6...well, probably 8am....haha.

Finished a 40 minute pace run tonight. It will be my last hard run before my final spring half marathon Sunday. Was hot as fuck but I finished it out sub 8:20 (today was 83F). Funny enough it's going to be ~55 race time on Sunday so this run may have been harder than the race will be. Target is 1'45. If I can be within 30 seconds of that I will consider the spring season a success.

Ok guys, I'm going to be the biggest noob in here probably....but I need help getting motivated/working out time to run. I'd be open to any suggestions. Problem is, I have basically a dead solid schedule that can't change...and I can't run during work hours, as I'm basically booked from arrival to leaving.

Mon - Friday I work.

Mon - Thursday:

I get up at 6 am., fix meals for daughters' school lunches. Take a shower. Get daughters up and get them dressed. Fix kids hair. Get fully dressed. Out door by 7:30. Getting kids ready is a lot of work, lol. Drop girls off at school. Drive to office. I'm an inspector so my job is basically a 10 hour block of no go. I do get a 1 hour lunch, but I can't get hot and sweaty and I often have to spend my lunch overseeing things...as I eat..bleh. I get off work at 6pm. I have to pick my daughters up by 6:30pm and it's a 25 minute drive to get them. I get home around 6:45-7pm depending on traffic. Now..in the next 2 1/2 hours I want to spend time with my daughters...because that's all I get with my kids all week. Usually supper/homework takes a good hour of that. Now it is 8pm. I try to spend at least 30min to 1hr with my girls and they have to get a shower during that time..what's the point of having kids if you just ignore them all week? Now it's 9pm. I suppose this is where I get some free time as they tend to fall asleep by 9:30...10 if they're wired for some reason. ZERO motivation to do much of any workout by this time.

I have thought about running while they play at the park in the evenings and have tried this a couple times. But all I can do is lap the playground...that doesn't have a track. I'm soooooo freaking tired usually by this time (6:30-7pm or later) that I just say screw it, also my 4 year old can't just run off and play while I take off and run (her sister is 9). I can't leave my daughters to play on their own having a toddler.

Friday/Weekend:

I'm off at noon Friday (same morning routine), and my weekends are pretty open. Is just running on say Friday afternoon, or maybe once or twice on the weekend going to do me some good? Serious question. I'm overweight, but I played a ton of sports growing up..including 14 years of soccer, 4 years of football, numerous other sports..etc. Doctor says I have a good heart...so that's a plus.

Now another kicker, I'm a single father with full custody. I often need to do ALL my activities with consideration of my little girls.

Any suggestions, where do I start? Anyone that can relate? I want to start running for my health, and so I'm here longer for my kids.

Fake edit* I'm a HORRIBLE morning person, as in I might as well be dead to the world before 6...well, probably 8am....haha.

Maybe not a good suggestion for running but maybe buy your older daughter a bike and get one of those bike wagon things for your 4 year old and bike down a trail near the house. You can at least get some cardio in with your kids. Otherwise that does sound a bit rough.

Fistwell

So the first thing is that, yes, running just on weekend is a good start. Looking at your schedule, it is the only start that makes sense anyways. You can definitely begin by running/jogging/jog-walking (depending on your fitness level) a cheeky 20-30min on friday afternoons. Add in a second session on sundays if you're enjoying it. You can start extending duration of those runs once you're getting comfortable.

Down the line, if you want to get more out of running (improve fitness), you'll want to go to 3 (then later 5) runs a week. Running 3 days in a row is not necessarily the best thing to do. If you start running 1hr friday-sunday at a decent pace, you'll want that saturday to rest and recover.

The trick to running on weekdays, when you're tired after a day of work and don't have the energy is that... well it'll suck the first time around. But you get used to pretty much anything once it becomes routine. You do have the energy to go on a quick 30min jog on wednesdays from 9 to 9:30. It's just that you rly rly don't feel like it right now. If you start doing it, it's likely within a cple of weeks it'll just be that thing you do on wednesdays and that's it. I don't have children, but I used to have pretty intense 10hr workdays. I would still get out twice a week (tuesday-thursday), 7:30 to 8:30, in Brittany-France, in the dark of night, in the wind, cold, and pouring rain, running tough workouts. And it was fine. Not a big deal, and actually enjoyable. A niche of time I had carved for myself, to be alone with my thoughts and vent my frustration on running. Energy might be a problem at first, but regular physical exercise will bring up your energy levels all around.

Best of luck!

Ranvier

Does anyone here have experience with knee tendonitis? I have it pretty bad in my right knee right below the kneecap. I've tried taking a month off running to let it heal but as soon as I run 3+ miles its back. I'm down to only being able to run 2-3 days a week 8(.

I think Fistwell has already covered the most of it, but I'd like to add that maybe an indoor treadmill could work for you if you want to run on weekdays. You'd be able to run and spend time with your daughters at the same time.

Does anyone here have experience with knee tendonitis? I have it pretty bad in my right knee right below the kneecap. I've tried taking a month off running to let it heal but as soon as I run 3+ miles its back. I'm down to only being able to run 2-3 days a week 8(.

I'd have a doctor take a look at it, just in case. But meanwhile maybe try putting ice on it, some strengthening exercises for leg muscles and maybe foam-rolling/massaging. Also, how many miles have you run in your current shoes? Might be time for a replacement.

Fistwell

I've had a pretty bad bout of knee tendonitis about a year ago. Would flare up somewhere between 2.5 and 3K, every time, without fail. would barely be able to walk up or (especially) down stairs the next day. Only rest helped. As already mentioned, I'd get it checked out. Depending how bad it got, it can take a while to get over it. Took me about 4 months to get back to running regularly without pain, another 5 to build the lost fitness back.

It ain't fun. I sincerely wish you a quick recovery.

Edit: The boston adidas thing is both sad and funny. Shit PR all around. Try-hard, disconnected, soulless.

KeRaSh

I've had a pretty bad bout of knee tendonitis about a year ago. Would flare up somewhere between 2.5 and 3K, every time, without fail. would barely be able to walk up or (especially) down stairs the next day. Only rest helped. As already mentioned, I'd get it checked out. Depending how bad it got, it can take a while to get over it. Took me about 4 months to get back to running regularly without pain, another 5 to build the lost fitness back.

It ain't fun. I sincerely wish you a quick recovery.

It "only" took me 2-3 months to get over my knee problems but now I've hit the wall that is lost fitness. I can't run as fast as before. I can't run as long as before. My heart rate is through the roof even during easy runs.

I want to run like I used to but I just can't anymore and it's frustrating. I can't seem to get back into a rhythm...
Going for a run today. My last one was two weeks ago while on vacation. Let's see how it goes...

Fistwell

It "only" took me 2-3 months to get over my knee problems but now I've hit the wall that is lost fitness. I can't run as fast as before. I can't run as long as before. My heart rate is through the roof even during easy runs.

I want to run like I used to but I just can't anymore and it's frustrating. I can't seem to get back into a rhythm...
Going for a run today. My last one was two weeks ago while on vacation. Let's see how it goes...
They say it takes about as much time to get back into it as you took resting. So 2-3 months rest should take 2-3 months to build back up fitness.

They lie! It always takes me more time to get back. Might be because I'm old though.

KeRaSh

They say it takes about as much time to get back into it as you took resting. So 2-3 months rest should take 2-3 months to build back up fitness.

They lie! It always takes me more time to get back. Might be because I'm old though.

It certainly doesn't help that I keep eating like I'm running 3-4 times a week during my downtime... >_>
...or the fact that Persona 5 is keeping me glued to my PS4 when I actually should be running...

Fisico

Rest
Radio (to check bones), MRI (to check muscles)
Do you have shoes fitted to your style (pronation/supination/neutral)? How many time/km since you got them?
Knee pad help a little
And while you rest try to do some bicycle and swimming instead, if your knee hurt there then it's a bigger problem.

Also what's your weight/size and how many times a week did you run for how long?

Danielsan

Managed to get two 5k runs in over the long weekend. For now I'm just focused on making some miles and getting back into the swing of things. I'm trying to not focus on pace too much, hard as it is. Hopefully I can get another run in before the weekend.

I was wondering. Do you guys do a proper warm-up before running?
I have to admit that I've never really bothered with a warm-up myself. I know that I probably ought to do it, especially in order to prevent injuries, but also to improve performance during the run. But I just can't get myself to spend (another) 10 minutes on "silly" exercises before a run. Never had much issues with cold starts, but I'm starting to second guess myself.

Managed to get two 5k runs in over the long weekend. For now I'm just focused on making some miles and getting back into the swing of things. I'm trying to not focus on pace too much, hard as it is. Hopefully I can get another run in before the weekend.

I was wondering. Do you guys do a proper warm-up before running?
I have to admit that I've never really bothered with a warm-up myself. I know that I probably ought to do it, especially in order to prevent injuries, but also to improve performance during the run. But I just can't get myself to spend (another) 10 minutes on "silly" exercises before a run. Never had much issues with cold starts, but I'm starting to second guess myself.

Good job hanging in there (and being patient!)

After 25+ years of running I've had zero problems with using a brisk walk as a warm-up. Really, the only thing that needs to happen in a warm-up is getting your heartrate elevated slightly and your body acclimatised to the outside (because the increased blood flow and temperature adjustment stops your muscles from spasming when you start to work-out.) Just put your start point a little further out from your front door and stride there with slightly exagerated arm swings - you'll be golden. When you get in great shape, you can do a dribble instead of a brisk walk.

The 'silly exercises' can help with strength/form/flexibility but I've always done them after as a cooling down ritual. Your muscles are warm and you often need to work through the desire to run more so doing something else helps to quiet the runner's high.

Linius

Never did much of a warm-up either. Just some walking, slightly building up pace and sometimes a bit of stretching. Never had any serious injuries. Though I guess you'll have to take in account that I don't run that much. Tracked a total of 627km in my Runtastic account since I started running in october 2013.

eot

Banned
Doing my first half marathon this weekend. Preparation has been fine, but then when I ran on Saturday my left calf started being super tense and hurting a lot. Kind of went away after 5k and me slowing down a ton. Tried to go for a short run on Monday and it was the same but worse, because my shin started hurting like crazy too. Had to stop for some traffic lights at a few points but if it weren't for that I couldn't have kept going. On the way back it changed for better after I sped up, but now I'm quite worried.

I get shin pain every now and then when walking very fast, but I've never had it while running before :( hoping that warming up more might help

Well I might be out of my half marathon in 11 days.

Piriformis feels fucked.

last time I was out for a few weeks.

@eot, good luck, hopefully you can race.

congrats to all the Boston runners. Some beast time on the strava group.

Linius

Did an 8K run in just under 42 minutes. Started a bit too fast for my current state of being. Dipped to 5:32 in the fourth kilometer. Managed to build up again from there and ran my last kilometer in 4:46. All in all a decent run for the moment.

Top Bottom