• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

TTOOLL

Incredible! Congrats, man!!

I think about doing long runs but I'm not sure my would accept it lol. Maybe a half marathon some day.

GAF had some incredible runners. Congrats to all of you on your recent races! I'm amazed at the number of people on Strava that manage to run over 20 miles a week. It definitely keeps me motivated to improve.

Fistwell

I think a master list of GAF and Strava login names would be useful. I know who's who for most of the old guys, but I'm starting to lose track for the new ones.

On topic: Just as I was getting back into running after weeks of too much work, I got sick and barely ran at all last week. Feels-bad-man. :(

Much better already and planning on commuting back running (jogging) tonight. Looking forward to logging more consistent mileage. Also looking forward to nicer days, better weather and more light. Not looking forward to summer proper and high temperatures though.

panda-zebra

Not a bad day overall though, and I think I might have been smiling since race finish :D

Well done in the marathon, a great time especially for such an eventful run!

On topic: Just as I was getting back into running after weeks of too much work, I got sick and barely ran at all last week. Feels-bad-man. :(

Much better already and planning on commuting back running (jogging) tonight. Looking forward to logging more consistent mileage. Also looking forward to nicer days, better weather and more light. Not looking forward to summer proper and high temperatures though.

This is the best time when it gets lighter but not really much warmer. Crap thing for me is it means I have to get back to work after hibernating over winter, first day back today - back is crippled!

Google

Guys,

I've got my first 10K race of the year this Sunday and I had to accelerate my C-2-10KM training by a week because I got my dates wrong (boo).

Not too big of a deal but:

1. I did 5KM on Sat
2. I did 50 minutes continually running on Sunday (managed just under 8KM)
3. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I'm doing 40 minutes
4. Thursday I'm doing 30 minutes
5. Sunday is the race

What should I do between Thursday and Sunday? Should I run at all? Do a walk?

Also; where can I find training regimes for once I've completed C-2-10KM? I want to get faster.

Gawge

Since I started running 4/5 years back, but for the last 2/3 years I have been doing it in fits and starts. A few months on, and then a few months off - but i'm back into a good habit now, and with spring/summer coming I am confident I can keep going now.

I have been going once or twice (maybe thrice) a week since the start of the year, and i'm back to a decent level (25min 5k this evening). I think my best was just under 24 minutes, but that was in a Parkrun, which always gives a boost. I'm probably going to get back into doing some Parkruns soon.

Anyway, there is a huge outdoor lido near where I moved to at the start of the year (like, 0.5 miles), and i'm thinking of joining and doing some swimming. Living in the UK, that means it's not going to be "outdoor swimming weather" for at least 80% of the year, adding to that I work during the day weekdays.

Will it help my running to start doing some swimming as well? To be honest, I will probably do a run to warm myself up for the swimming if I end up going for it.

I just love seeing progress in my running, but my overall aim is just general fitness and the good feeling it gives. I feel like it would be harder to measure my swimming, and I love beating my times in running etc...

Guys,

I've got my first 10K race of the year this Sunday and I had to accelerate my C-2-10KM training by a week because I got my dates wrong (boo).

Not too big of a deal but:

1. I did 5KM on Sat
2. I did 50 minutes continually running on Sunday (managed just under 8KM)
3. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I'm doing 40 minutes
4. Thursday I'm doing 30 minutes
5. Sunday is the race

What should I do between Thursday and Sunday? Should I run at all? Do a walk?

Also; where can I find training regimes for once I've completed C-2-10KM? I want to get faster.

I would say walking and stretching/rolling both days. Maybe a light jog Friday.

Does anyone have any recommendations for very well cushioned running shoes?

Im pretty sure I've destroyed my knees running miles in any old sports shoes when I was younger and I'd like to save what I have left of them now that I'm starting to run again.

Im pretty sure I've destroyed my knees running miles in any old sports shoes when I was younger and I'd like to save what I have left of them now that I'm starting to run again.

i'd recommend the pegasus 33 or the vomero 12 not knowing what your running gait is. the vomero's have more cushion.

titch

How do you land your foot?

http://running.competitor.com/2014/...101-how-should-your-foot-hit-the-ground_63548

Good running shoes will help but if it's your running style then you might get more of a benefit with looking at that too.

panda-zebra

Will it help my running to start doing some swimming as well? To be honest, I will probably do a run to warm myself up for the swimming if I end up going for it.

It shouldn't do any harm and will help core strength. Do it. But you're brave doing it outdoors!

I'm probably going to get back into doing some Parkruns soon.

parkrun every week is the best routine to get into if you want better times. Having others to pace with, learning the route and experimenting where to put more effort and where not to for a better end result, lots of fun. Having said that, I'm going to contradict myself a little - it's probably best to mix it up and visit a few different parkruns to test yourself in different conditions and not get into too much of a groove running the same route every single week. Some areas, for example Brighton and Manchester, are great for this as there's half a dozen runs within a few miles.

Gawge

It shouldn't do any harm and will help core strength. Do it. But you're brave doing it outdoors!

parkrun every week is the best routine to get into if you want better times. Having others to pace with, learning the route and experimenting where to put more effort and where not to for a better end result, lots of fun. Having said that, I'm going to contradict myself a little - it's probably best to mix it up and visit a few different parkruns to test yourself in different conditions and not get into too much of a groove running the same route every single week. Some areas, for example Brighton and Manchester, are great for this as there's half a dozen runs within a few miles.

I haven't actually done it yet! I think it's easier to be brave about these things in theory. Annoyingly, you have to be a member (ie. pay up for a year) in order to swim outside the summer months. I swam there last summer, but I wonder just how cold on a 12 degree (c) day.

Yeah, definitely need to get back into Parkrun. This will be a new course for me, as I have moved since I last ran it - but for now will probably stick to the same course, just because it is 5 mins away, and I don't fancy getting on public transport after a parkrun.

The new course is very flat, as opposed to my previous course which had a lot of slight inclines, and one very steep hill.

ATF487

Anyone else have a lot of trouble on a treadmill?

My half marathon is in a few weeks and I'm a bit behind on training, I can't avoid to skip as many days as I have, but it's just snowed here, so I'm hesitant to run outside on even narrower streets (around the office) or on snowy sidewalks around the neighborhood I live in.

There's a gym at the office, but I get bored so fucking quickly and start thinking about my time frequently because the stats are right there in front of me. I get tired within the first mile! I have always preferred running outside vs. running at the gym, but I wonder if it's worse with the way the office gym is set up. The treadmills are right in front of a wall of TVs with fixed channels and there's nothing else to look at; no windows or other gym shenanigans.

I have a subscription to a shitty $10 a month gym, I think I'll try going there since it's bigger and there's more stuff to distract me (also might try putting a movie on my tablet), but I was curious if anyone else had the same experience. I was much happier running outside on Saturday when it was 15F with a windchill of about 0F.

fester

Banned
Anyone else have a lot of trouble on a treadmill?

My half marathon is in a few weeks and I'm a bit behind on training, I can't avoid to skip as many days as I have, but it's just snowed here, so I'm hesitant to run outside on even narrower streets (around the office) or on snowy sidewalks around the neighborhood I live in.

There's a gym at the office, but I get bored so fucking quickly and start thinking about my time frequently because the stats are right there in front of me. I get tired within the first mile! I have always preferred running outside vs. running at the gym, but I wonder if it's worse with the way the office gym is set up. The treadmills are right in front of a wall of TVs with fixed channels and there's nothing else to look at; no windows or other gym shenanigans.

I have a subscription to a shitty $10 a month gym, I think I'll try going there since it's bigger and there's more stuff to distract me (also might try putting a movie on my tablet), but I was curious if anyone else had the same experience. I was much happier running outside on Saturday when it was 15F with a windchill of about 0F.

When it snows I just hit the streets that get plowed but aren't too busy. Run against traffic and you should be fine. Treadmills are the worst any time of year. :/

TTOOLL

Wow, I just installed Endomondo on my Gear Fit 2 and got 1 year of premium membership for free. Thanks, Samsung! I'll try it and then sync to Strava =D

I have officially given up on my AW2. The fitness/Strava capability and accuracy is just terrible and I am tired of waiting. I just put mine up on eBay and I pre-ordered the Garmin Fenix 5. I guess I have now joined the Garmin cult.

r1chard

Signing up for my first run and I need to indicate whether I'm a serious runner (I'm not), a runner or a jogger. I tend to run a 6min/km - I assume that's a slow pace and should be considered jogging?

Signing up for my first run and I need to indicate whether I'm a serious runner (I'm not), a runner or a jogger. I tend to run a 6min/km - I assume that's a slow pace and should be considered jogging?

If you're outside and making an effort you're a runner. Don't worry about a number yet and just go out there and do your best. Speed will come with time.

KeRaSh

Finally starting to see a little improvement after running 2-3 times a week again.
Managed to shave off 1:07 minutes from my previous 5K.

panda-zebra

If it's a big race they probably just want to know where to put you in the starting pens, but it'd be an odd way to pose that question.

Hi guys - sorry been a long spell away - mostly laziness, injuries, work and holidays and such.
So the 10K secret run was more a bit of a lark, it was mostly orienteering, and at each point in City of London some actor hamming it up and some crime / puzzles to solve.
For that reason, we stopped a lot, so barely any stint was more than a mile.
Was nicely surprised my team and I who were not going at it fast finished in 5th place out of about 100 people!
So that was nice!!
Now, my mates have all got the running itches since the weather is getting better, already signed up for a 10K on 12th April - an evening thing where you "race the sun setting" - if there is any by the point here in Blighty! I'm really looking forward to it.
I am hoping to do a 10 mile in the summer and another half-marathon in autumn this year.

Also, I'm trying to listen to my body more.
The hip pains haven't gone away from the Oct 2016 half-marathon - and I have a physiotherapy session at the hospital tonight - after an ultrasound in Jan. Shin splints in my right leg went away after 2 weeks holiday though yay!
I have been working on my running form - thanks a lot to Festwill - definitely feels better to have shoulders and arms moving in the "right way".
(@Fistwell: Eh... I missed that whole username change - did you go native out there in Germany - got a new hobby? ;D)
But godamn this London pollution, I literally had a minor asthma attack on a sunny afternoon run yesterday :( I have to be more careful and use my inhaler ahead of runs like the doctor suggested.

I'm now exploring *dun-dun!* sports nutrition!
Tracking calories a bit better, to be healthier, stay my current weight, and perhaps improve recovery etc.

I've seen a breakdown of 20/65/15 (fat / carbs / protein) for runners.
I'm struggling with the massive amount of carbs - and any how my level of running - I do not believe I need that many carbs!
This is clearly classic carb loading?

I'm understanding that latest innovations suggests a ketogenic approach is better?
I calculated something like 71/11/18
I like eating plenty fat, but I did mess up the last half-marathon by not carb loading ahead of it...

Anyone have any advice?

panda-zebra

Yep, always take 2 puffs on my inhaler before any run. Carry it with me, too - been told I can take 2 more puffs during if needed - last 2 races I've had little episodes and needed a single puff and a few seconds later back to normal. Would have been stuck without it.

Nutrition-wise, I don't follow any ratio plan thing, wouldn't know where to start, but I do have quite a routine now that I don't like to vary from and it's working well for me. Was pushing 11st and not feeling fast at end of October after running amarathon injured and falling out with the idea of running for a while, now well under 10st, lighter, faster and stronger. Here's what my day looks like food-wise if anyone's interested: Porridge in morning with coconut milk, half the oats blitzed with a tsp each of chia seeds and linseed in a nutribullet. Pour cold rice milk on top of that. big full breakfast bowl. If I'm working, bananas get me through the day. Late lunch is, 9 times out of 10, hummus (make my own - so much better and piss easy), baby plum tomatoes, avocado, and whatever else if hanging around stuffed in large seeded wholemeal wraps, usually 4 of these. Evening meal is a large pasta, curry/rice, stir fry kind of thing with tempeh, seitan, quorn, silken tofu or something like that. If I don't fancy it and more often before a race I'll just have MOAR PORRIDGE! :) Oh and loads of bananas throughout the day whenever I can put my hands on them. 10 a day sometimes.

My brother is a big carb loader, eats an insane amount of stuff in the days before a race, but he does stupid things like Hardmoors 55 he did the other week, so he probably needs it (he eats carb-heavy real food along the way, too, no magic formulas or anything like that). I think for anything up to a half, eating sensible portions of real food, just as you would otherwise, is fine. If you're eating well enough to support your training, the occasional race shouldn't need any special consideration other than avoiding anything unknown/spicy the night before! During the race, if you've got the half distance in the bag, your body should have all it needs to get you to the finish on a regular diet, no gels/snacking required en route, just water and maybe some electrolytes if it's particularly warm and you're sweating loads. That's what I've settled into at least.

Fistwell

I used to be really interested in nutrition and macros. Not so much now. It's all different for different people, different bodies work, react, and are used to different diets. As a rule of thumb, I try to stay away from extreme-ish stuff. I also try (or would like to try) to stay away from too much carb and high glycemic index stuff.

I think 65% carbs is a hell of a lot of carbs, and I'm not sure there's much of a benefit. I'm sure it can work for some people, and that it has worked for plenty of people. But I don't necessarily understand the rationale. That is way, way more, for a regular, everyday diet, than what you'd need to replace glycogen reserves. Eating more carbs is not gonna help you stuff more glycogen in your muscles (or at most, only marginally so, if I understand physiology correctly). On the other end of the spectrum, ketosis is a little scary to me, although it also works for a lot of people. For reference, just because you fell flat by not eating enough carbs one day doesn't mean ketosis isn't for you. It takes a while for the ketosis to kick in. You're relying on a different energetic circuit to fuel yourself. That circuit gets activated and running after a few weeks of following that kind of diet (again, if I understand/recall correctly). You can talk to fitgaf people about this if interested, I know at least ilovebish used to (still is?) on a ketogenic diet.

I've been trying to be in-between those two extremes, leaning towards low carb-ish, although not very consistent on my macros (nor on my caloric intake lately, sadly... I need to get better). It's worked out fine, haven't had problems losing weight when I actually committed to it and had the discipline. Rarely felt like I had fueling problems. I did feel weak and shitty a few times when going out on a run, when having been particularly low on carbs for a couple of days. But that was back in a time that I was losing about 1.5Kg/week, which is not a regular situation, so I don't think I should read too much into that.

I'm stubbornly opposed to caloric intake on runs. Or so is my stomach. I can't bear to have anything in my stomach if I run at anything over aerobic pace. I think a lot of people completely overestimate how much they need on a run. As Kevin mentioned, up to a half, you're fine on glycogen reserves (supposedly good for 32Km for the average guy, unsure how much of this is broscience vs actual facts). I've regularly ran 25 to 30Km without taking anything during the run, and in some cases going in fasted. I've been reluctant to move up to higher distances, I really don't want to have to deal with nutrition during the run. Honesty though, I think my problem might be kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd need to get the digestive system used to it, but the more I run and the less I do ingest stuff, the more the digestive system gets used to not having to do anything. I don't know. I dread having to take anything now. Even a sip of water will sit in my stomach, slushing around for a good 10 minutes, making me feel like I'm gonna (simultaneously) puke and crap myself (not exaggerating). All I can do is slush water around in my mouth and spit it out.

Maybe I should try beer.

Yep, always take 2 puffs on my inhaler before any run. Carry it with me, too - been told I can take 2 more puffs during if needed - last 2 races I've had little episodes and needed a single puff and a few seconds later back to normal. Would have been stuck without it.

Nutrition-wise, I don't follow any ratio plan thing, wouldn't know where to start, but I do have quite a routine now that I don't like to vary from and it's working well for me. Was pushing 11st and not feeling fast at end of October after running amarathon injured and falling out with the idea of running for a while, now well under 10st, lighter, faster and stronger. Here's what my day looks like food-wise if anyone's interested: Porridge in morning with coconut milk, half the oats blitzed with a tsp each of chia seeds and linseed in a nutribullet. Pour cold rice milk on top of that. big full breakfast bowl. If I'm working, bananas get me through the day. Late lunch is, 9 times out of 10, hummus (make my own - so much better and piss easy), baby plum tomatoes, avocado, and whatever else if hanging around stuffed in large seeded wholemeal wraps, usually 4 of these. Evening meal is a large pasta, curry/rice, stir fry kind of thing with tempeh, seitan, quorn, silken tofu or something like that. If I don't fancy it and more often before a race I'll just have MOAR PORRIDGE! :) Oh and loads of bananas throughout the day whenever I can put my hands on them. 10 a day sometimes.

My brother is a big carb loader, eats an insane amount of stuff in the days before a race, but he does stupid things like Hardmoors 55 he did the other week, so he probably needs it (he eats carb-heavy real food along the way, too, no magic formulas or anything like that). I think for anything up to a half, eating sensible portions of real food, just as you would otherwise, is fine. If you're eating well enough to support your training, the occasional race shouldn't need any special consideration other than avoiding anything unknown/spicy the night before! During the race, if you've got the half distance in the bag, your body should have all it needs to get you to the finish on a regular diet, no gels/snacking required en route, just water and maybe some electrolytes if it's particularly warm and you're sweating loads. That's what I've settled into at least.

Thanks for all of that Panda-zebra - definitely interesting.
I haven't found my food system yet, so part of that is honing in on something that works for me - I don't enjoy the calorie counting at all, if anything has made me a bit self-conscious about food which is ludicrous as I really don't have anything to worry about with a BMI of 18.8...
I'm just somewhat anxious about finding a system that actually works, and not over eating either...
I'm going to give the ketogenic a shot - let's see how long I last!

I used to be really interested in nutrition and macros. Not so much now. It's all different for different people, different bodies work, react, and are used to different diets. As a rule of thumb, I try to stay away from extreme-ish stuff. I also try (or would like to try) to stay away from too much carb and high glycemic index stuff.

I think 65% carbs is a hell of a lot of carbs, and I'm not sure there's much of a benefit. I'm sure it can work for some people, and that it has worked for plenty of people. But I don't necessarily understand the rationale. That is way, way more, for a regular, everyday diet, than what you'd need to replace glycogen reserves. Eating more carbs is not gonna help you stuff more glycogen in your muscles (or at most, only marginally so, if I understand physiology correctly). On the other end of the spectrum, ketosis is a little scary to me, although it also works for a lot of people. For reference, just because you fell flat by not eating enough carbs one day doesn't mean ketosis isn't for you. It takes a while for the ketosis to kick in. You're relying on a different energetic circuit to fuel yourself. That circuit gets activated and running after a few weeks of following that kind of diet (again, if I understand/recall correctly). You can talk to fitgaf people about this if interested, I know at least ilovebish used to (still is?) on a ketogenic diet.

I've been trying to be in-between those two extremes, leaning towards low carb-ish, although not very consistent on my macros (nor on my caloric intake lately, sadly... I need to get better). It's worked out fine, haven't had problems losing weight when I actually committed to it and had the discipline. Rarely felt like I had fueling problems. I did feel weak and shitty a few times when going out on a run, when having been particularly low on carbs for a couple of days. But that was back in a time that I was losing about 1.5Kg/week, which is not a regular situation, so I don't think I should read too much into that.

I'm stubbornly opposed to caloric intake on runs. Or so is my stomach. I can't bear to have anything in my stomach if I run at anything over aerobic pace. I think a lot of people completely overestimate how much they need on a run. As Kevin mentioned, up to a half, you're fine on glycogen reserves (supposedly good for 32Km for the average guy, unsure how much of this is broscience vs actual facts). I've regularly ran 25 to 30Km without taking anything during the run, and in some cases going in fasted. I've been reluctant to move up to higher distances, I really don't want to have to deal with nutrition during the run. Honesty though, I think my problem might be kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'd need to get the digestive system used to it, but the more I run and the less I do ingest stuff, the more the digestive system gets used to not having to do anything. I don't know. I dread having to take anything now. Even a sip of water will sit in my stomach, slushing around for a good 10 minutes, making me feel like I'm gonna (simultaneously) puke and crap myself (not exaggerating). All I can do is slush water around in my mouth and spit it out.

Maybe I should try beer.

And thanks as always for chiming in Festwell/Fistwell :)
I know I've asked this whole nutrition thing before, but only recently have I considered really looking into it deeper. Safe to say, I bloody hate tracking everything, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
I agree some of it is a bit psychological and habitual, I have run on empty plenty times, and the low amount I'm doing probably overall makes nowt difference.

Also, news from physio the other night - good news? My achy hip is nothing serious! Yay.
- Bad news? My core, abs, glutes area are just too weak and it is implied my form sucks too, so that just aggravates my muscles and joint and results in the injuries...
Time to get weights I guess and be less lazy about all the strength training.
But at least there's some direction to take, do more strength training and then that should stave off more injuries...

Gemüsestäbchen;232669596 said:
I know I've asked this whole nutrition thing before, but only recently have I considered really looking into it deeper. Safe to say, I bloody hate tracking everything, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
I agree some of it is a bit psychological and habitual, I have run on empty plenty times, and the low amount I'm doing probably overall makes nowt difference.

The more you run and experiment the better you'll know what works and what doesn't for you. I tend to go for 1-1.5gr of protein per kilogram of bodyweight and then doing the whole 4:1 carbs to protein ratio.

I've done plenty of long runs fasted without any problems, but for long races I've always eaten some gels during the run just in case. Again, it's a matter of trying things out.

Gemüsestäbchen;232669596 said:
Also, news from physio the other night - good news? My achy hip is nothing serious! Yay.
- Bad news? My core, abs, glutes area are just too weak and it is implied my form sucks too, so that just aggravates my muscles and joint and results in the injuries...
Time to get weights I guess and be less lazy about all the strength training.
But at least there's some direction to take, do more strength training and then that should stave off more injuries...

That's good news about your hip! Regarding the bad news, those are good news too! It's something that can actively be fixed instead of resting and hoping for the best, so that's nice :)

Did my first Parkrun. Ill wait for my official time but runkeeper tells me I did it in 28.00.

Not terrible since I have only gotten back on the saddle in the last week. I managed to keep a pretty steady pace too which I am happy about since I kinda suck at not taking walk breaks every 8 minutes or so. Running with people really helps with that I find as you dont want to be the one who slows to give your legs a breather.

I like staying up hella late and not waking up early on the weekends so we shall see if I ever do another one. I printed out my ParkRun bar codes last summer with the intention of doing them regularly but LOLsleep.

mdsfx

Running another half marathon in Philly tomorrow, the course is hilly as fuck so I'm a bit nervous.
I always remind myself to stay focused on the down hill portions where you can lose your footing/balance. I lean back slightly and maintain or even increase my cadence. Not sure of that's good advice, but I've injured myself slamming down too hard with long, lumbering steps downhill.

Official time was a bit slower than I though but still under 1:45. I got 1:44:11 and I really feel I could have gone faster at the start and knocked off another 3 minutes or so. The race was incredibly flat with one big hill near the half way point, but the downhill part of the hill was more beneficial than the uphill slowdown so it worked out.

I'm thinking my next goal will be to do an obstacle race of some kind and stick to shorter races like 5k and 10k.

hom3land

Ran an 8k yesterday.. While my 10 min avg was nothing amazing.. I was just blown away that I'm in such shape I can go run a 8k race with no prep and just doing crossfit 6 times a week. Hate running on my own.. But there's something exciting waking up on race day and running with tons of other people.

ATF487

Two weeks away from my half, ran 10 miles yesterday which (despite running a half last summer) is my longest practice run ever. I found that if I just dialed back my speed a little bit and tried to aim for 9 minute miles or so it was much easier to run more than my standard 5-7 miles. I think I'm going to work on speed for the next week and a half.

I'm running it a few hours north, I hope it's still cold there in two weeks. Love running in temps near freezing!

https://www.strava.com/activities/916179481
I0NnrzC.png

Code:
1	8:45 /mi	8:44 /mi	2 ft	 
2	7:44 /mi	7:41 /mi	9 ft	 
3	7:50 /mi	7:50 /mi	-3 ft	 
4	7:37 /mi	7:44 /mi	-20 ft	 
5	7:58 /mi	7:57 /mi	0 ft	 
6	7:53 /mi	7:53 /mi	0 ft	 
7	7:54 /mi	7:51 /mi	6 ft	 
8	8:07 /mi	7:45 /mi	50 ft	 
9	7:38 /mi	7:33 /mi	-32 ft	 
10	7:43 /mi	7:51 /mi	-24 ft	 
11	7:38 /mi	7:36 /mi	7 ft	 
12	7:41 /mi	7:43 /mi	-7 ft	 
13	7:31 /mi	7:31 /mi	0 ft	 
0.3	7:31 /mi	7:00 /mi	31 ft

Hi again.

I had a snowboarding accident a couple months ago and messed up my ribs, on my last run on the slope, too ;(((

Finally felt good to run and started again the last few days. I feel like I am flying. Just run a 3k and a 5k, but feel I am faster than in January.

I bought the Nike Flyknit Streaks the day before my injury, first chance Ia have worn them and they are amazing. So light and comfortable, feels like I am running in nothing.

I have about 34 days till my Seoul half marathon, feel like I should have enough time to do some good training.

When i signed up in January, I was hoping for sub 1.30. Now I just want a new PB of sub 1.44, hopefuly sub 1.40 in an actual race.

Fistwell

Hi again.

I had a snowboarding accident a couple months ago and messed up my ribs, on my last run on the slope, too ;(((

Finally felt good to run and started again the last few days. I feel like I am flying. Just run a 3k and a 5k, but feel I am faster than in January.

I bought the Nike Flyknit Streaks the day before my injury, first chance Ia have worn them and they are amazing. So light and comfortable, feels like I am running in nothing.

I have about 34 days till my Seoul half marathon, feel like I should have enough time to do some good training.

When i signed up in January, I was hoping for sub 1.30. Now I just want a new PB of sub 1.44, hopefuly sub 1.40 in an actual race.
Best of luck! Sub 90min is serious business already! :D

Ran a 1:54:40 half yesterday, not close to my PR, but felt 1000x better and stronger afterwards than I did in any of my previous attempts until now. Last year I ran 8:39 as opposed to 8:45 per mile but felt dead and was the start of me getting injured and missing 4 months of training.

Now I think it's just a mental game to get me to run faster but my next half isn't going to be until August.

At least it gives me something to shoot for though!

Ran a 1:54:40 half yesterday, not close to my PR, but felt 1000x better and stronger afterwards than I did in any of my previous attempts until now. Last year I ran 8:39 as opposed to 8:45 per mile but felt dead and was the start of me getting injured and missing 4 months of training.

Now I think it's just a mental game to get me to run faster but my next half isn't going to be until August.

There is definitely a lot you can gain by winning the mental battle. Between fueling myself better with those gel energy packs and not giving up a bit mentally towards the end I managed to drop my half marathon time 10 minutes in 3 weeks without much additional training.

Those gels are a godsend. I had one at the half way mark and one at mile 10 and they pretty much instantly helped my legs feel better and gave me energy.

panda-zebra

Manchester Marathon 6 days out, just under a year since my first proper race. Eek.

Number already pinned to my shirt.

The dream is to get good for age qualifying time for London 2018, but the reality is that's going to be mentally and physically rough, right on the edge of what I think I might be capable of, and succeed or fail I know it'll hurt like hell for the last 8 miles. But I'm up for a fight, nothing to gain just trotting around, I can do that on the streets around my house. It's flat and fast and I've got to attack it.

Nerves are insane this far out, trying to psyche myself up and calm them at the same time lol

Fistwell

The dream is to get good for age qualifying time for London 2018, but the reality is that's going to be mentally and physically rough, right on the edge of what I think I might be capable of
3h15? So, about 4:37/K? Fun times! :)

The first semi will be fine. The second one will be tough. :)

Good job, dude!

panda-zebra

3h15? So, about 4:37/K? Fun times! :)

The first semi will be fine. The second one will be tough. :)

Yep. There's no point me trying to run sensibly doing negative splits, I'm not disciplined or experienced enough to do stuff like that yet. I'll do what I can: rain dance in the morning, 3 tea bags in my cup and get a massage before the race. My 20 mile trail race time says it's possible, so I have to be like GAF and believe haha.

How are you feeling today, fully tested?

Congratulations! Time to enjoy a well earned rest :)

Hah sorry just saw this. I feel fine. Ended up running 29.8 miles last week, which isn't too bad. I have a busy 6 weeks coming up (10k Thursday, though casual), 15k Saturday (going to run this fast), and a half marathon in late April. What I am trying to figure out now is whether I do the "bridge" program or the "fast track" summer program with my local club.

Fast track = track workout on Tuesday + hills on Thursday. The workouts are at 7pm. In Dallas that means it's still going to be in the 90's so very high intensity training. I spoke with a few people and they said they cut 10+ minutes off their PR doing this program.

Bridge = No real set goals. Keeps up the Saturday long run I do with my group and gives you a maintenance plan. If you are on fast track they give you a huge discount to add this program as well so I would also get my Saturday group run still in.

I think if I want to shed 8 minutes and run that 1'40" this December I am going to have to do fast track. I just need to mentally prepare and continue eating better. It's nice having a hobby to take so seriously now. ;)

Top Bottom