• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Thats great to know,

how about clothes? What do you wear when running in rain and wind?

Gloves, water/windproof running jacket, sometimes something to cover my mouth, thermal tights and a thermal shirt. But that's only when the weather is really bad (which is rarely, and I run in a Mediterranean city so bad is relative).

Otherwise I just use some gloves and use a long sleeved shirt over my usual t-shirt.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So I transfered from a busy customer service job to a quiet office position within the same company recently. I got a pretty flexible lunch time and I have been able to run 3 mile or so every day during lunch break. the best part is the job site has a large shower in the bathroom I can wash and change afterward.

For a non young man like me the running feels good. And I can see my stamina has been getting better.

Amen, it's pretty great to have changing room and showers at work. I run during lunchtime at least once a week, usually 7-8k. I've been thinking about running to work sometime too, It's about 12-13K for me, so doable. Right now I'm cycling it most of the time.

I've also got a question. Currently the max distance I've ran is 15K. I'd like to work towards 20-25K. What would be a safe/reasonable build-up in distance? Add 0.5-1K per week? Per two weeks? Are there rough guidelines for this?

Fistwell

I've also got a question. Currently the max distance I've ran is 15K. I'd like to work towards 20-25K. What would be a safe/reasonable build-up in distance? Add 0.5-1K per week? Per two weeks? Are there rough guidelines for this?
What is your body used to right now? Adding a cple of Km over what you're used to from a week to the next on your long run should be fine. If you're doing 15 now, I'd say you could even try 20 next week and see how that goes. If too tiring, scale it back or stay at 20 for another week, if not, directly jump to 25 the week after.

Less than 7 weeks until Boston. Never realized how bad marathon training in the winter could be. That shit sucks
True story. Lots of time on your feet in the cold and the dark is not the greatest.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
What is your body used to right now? Adding a cple of Km over what you're used to from a week to the next on your long run should be fine. If you're doing 15 now, I'd say you could even try 20 next week and see how that goes. If too tiring, scale it back or stay at 20 for another week, if not, directly jump to 25 the week after.

True story. Lots of time on your feet in the cold and the dark is not the greatest.

Thanks Fistwell. Well, right now I usually run between 10 and 12 k, two times a week. A couple of times I pushed it to 15 which was fine, although I had some blisters the first time (I think the crappy socks I was wearing didn't help). I've had some injuries in the past (mostly a knee acting up), but after slowly getting back into running at snail's pace last winter (running just 2-3K at start with 2-3 breaks inbetween) I'm pretty confident all's well right now so far *knock on wood*

Fistwell

Thanks Fistwell. Well, right now I usually run between 10 and 12 k, two times a week. A couple of times I pushed it to 15 which was fine, although I had some blisters the first time (I think the crappy socks I was wearing didn't help). I've had some injuries in the past (mostly a knee acting up), but after slowly getting back into running at snail's pace last winter (running just 2-3K at start with 2-3 breaks inbetween) I'm pretty confident all's well right now so far *knock on wood*
I'd go 15-20-25 over the next three weeks if I were you. If it's too much, you'll know from being completely exhausted after your run. Good luck! :)

Amen, it's pretty great to have changing room and showers at work. I run during lunchtime at least once a week, usually 7-8k. I've been thinking about running to work sometime too, It's about 12-13K for me, so doable. Right now I'm cycling it most of the time.

My commute is 15 minute bus->40 min subway->15 min bus. I walk or run the bus routes and that's another 3 miles each way. I sweat very easily that's the main reason I don't run on the way to work.

Whelp, just committed/paid for my entry fee to this year's Cal-Int'l Marathon again. Here's to hoping that I have a much better experience this time!

I've had a bit of a shin pain since finishing a half marathon this past Sunday, it doesn't hurt a lot but just enough that I had to skip running Tuesday (did some indoor cycling instead). Marathon is just next week so I should just be tapering anyway but I have to admit having missed a running day has affected my mood more than I would like.

I guess I'll try to run on my gym's treadmill today, and if I'm not feeling it I'll switch to elliptical and cycling.

Fistwell

Blah. I think I've finally worked out that my recurring injury is peroneal tendonitis. The spot where that tendon is is exactly right for where I've been feeling pain. Apparently this injury is correlated with tightness of calves and with running at higher speeds.

Time to do some strengthening and loosening up exercises I guess. And slow down. :/
Late, but wanted to say chronic (if it is chronic) tendonitis is the devil. Good luck on your recovery.

I've had a bit of a shin pain since finishing a half marathon this past Sunday, it doesn't hurt a lot but just enough that I had to skip running Tuesday (did some indoor cycling instead). Marathon is just next week so I should just be tapering anyway but I have to admit having missed a running day has affected my mood more than I would like.

I guess I'll try to run on my gym's treadmill today, and if I'm not feeling it I'll switch to elliptical and cycling.
Is it a week from tomorrow? What's your goal?

pbsapeer

Banned
Well gaf my half marathon training is going much better. My IT band isn't giving me an issue with foam rolling and the leg strap as well. I managed to run 6 miles in about 54 minutes with little leg problems (although I needed some glucose tablets for getting up the steep hills)
Thanks for all the help!

I ran a 1:53:40. Phone died around the 9 mile mark and I slowed way down due to a blister and hip pain. Still beat my soft goal and I finished the last mile pretty strong.

Ouch, hope you have a speedy recovery. Good effort on the HM :)

Thanks! I'm planning on trying again in a few months with a friend in Philly. Going to aim for at least 1:50, and if I manage to run the whole way I can do 1:45.

Edit: well one of my friends saw my Facebook posts and she invited me up to Philly to run one with her the last week in March, so I may have a shot at redemption faster than I thought.

panda-zebra

20 mile trail race today. Pretty flat given where we live, but filthy weather and unavoidable troughs of water to skip through, fun for a while and then just damn cold. Brutal. So satisfying to come out alive and without any iffy toe problems, though. Took 20-25 minutes of blasting the car heating to stop shaking and shivering. Not built for this distance stuff. Give me a 10k any day :)

20 mile trail race today. Pretty flat given where we live, but filthy weather and unavoidable troughs of water to skip through, fun for a while and then just damn cold. Brutal. So satisfying to come out alive and without any iffy toe problems, though. Took 20-25 minutes of blasting the car heating to stop shaking and shivering. Not built for this distance stuff. Give me a 10k any day :)

Damn, getting into such a long trail race with the busted toe and finishing with such a nice pace, that's something to be proud of. You may not think you are built for distance, but man, I disagree the hell out of it :)

panda-zebra

Damn, getting into such a long trail race with the busted toe and finishing with such a nice pace, that's something to be proud of. You may not think you are built for distance, but man, I disagree the hell out of it :)

hah cheers, but I kind of died at the end, a couple of minutes down on pace and it took digging deep to manage that. perfect tester for next month's marathon though, I know what to expect from the last 8 miles if I want to do it pacier than the last one. Weather was so bad I forgot to fuel, only ate 1 date and gels still sat in my belt :/

titch

Hard few days increasing my workload, not helped with what i think was my garmin footpod rubbing against the extensor tendon to my big toe.

Another long recovery run tonight hopefully.

Salamando

Suggestions on dealing with shin splints? Anything I should do beyond not running until they feel normal, relying on seated bike exercises for cardio?

I've been training for my first half-marathon, using a 3-day a week program (2 days of 3 mile runs, 1 day of gradually increasing distance). Took half of February off due to shin pain, and they're still a bit hinky. They only hurt when running though. Resting, walking, going up/down stairs, using ellipticals, no pain at all. The pain's not so bad that I can't run, just running through pain seems like a very bad idea. Should I rest them until they're at 100%? The HM's in 2 months, and I wouldn't want to lose the time if I don't have to.

Fistwell

Suggestions on dealing with shin splints? Anything I should do beyond not running until they feel normal, relying on seated bike exercises for cardio?

I've been training for my first half-marathon, using a 3-day a week program (2 days of 3 mile runs, 1 day of gradually increasing distance). Took half of February off due to shin pain, and they're still a bit hinky. They only hurt when running though. Resting, walking, going up/down stairs, using ellipticals, no pain at all. The pain's not so bad that I can't run, just running through pain seems like a very bad idea. Should I rest them until they're at 100%? The HM's in 2 months, and I wouldn't want to lose the time if I don't have to.
A few obvious remarks,
1- if the pain is not going away, it does need more rest. How much more is impossible to tell without knowing a lot more,
2- racing hurt is a recipe for disaster, taking time off now is not time lost, it's time saved. Fixing things while they're still benign takes a lot less time than if you push your body until something breaks.

Then, beyond that, you (also fairly obviously) want to be mindful of the type of surface you run on (the softer the better, concrete bad-sad, sand or grass great-great), you want to avoid old, non-cushiony shoes, you kind of want to be careful of your foot strike (heel strike sad, mid/front-foot strike better), avoid overstriding, arnica massages could help, foam rolling won't hurt. But mainly, probably, more rest.

So, in the end, sorry, that was a lot of words for: need more rest, probably. Good luck to you. Keep in mind that you'll do better under-trained rather than hurt.

JB1981

My half marathon is on 4/22. So far I have only run 6 miles in a single stretch. Should I start panicking? Where should I be before race day?

Fistwell

My half marathon is on 4/22. So far I have only run 6 miles in a single stretch. Should I start panicking? Where should I be before race day?
Pick up smoking? Practice the beer-mile? Learn to juggle flaming chain-saws?

Relax. Whatever you do, don't do much running over the last week before your race. Between now and then, keep up what you're doing, but progressively extend the length of your long run.

There are 6 Sundays between now and the 22nd. Assuming you do your long run on Sunday, starting this week go: 7-9-11-12-10-8. Keep the pace easy when you extend mileage, go slower than you could, and even probably slower than you feel you should. It requires discipline. Be disciplined! No such thing as "too slow" so long as you do your miles.

Stick with that and you'll be fine. Crack the distance first, then worry about time and pace next time. Good luck!

Just signed up for my first 50-miler. I'm not going to tell anyone else for a while, so I thought I'd tell you internet strangers instead. I've been thinking about it for years and today finally just said "if I don't sign up, nothing's ever going to happen." So I did it!

mdsfx

Just signed up for my first 50-miler. I'm not going to tell anyone else for a while, so I thought I'd tell you internet strangers instead. I've been thinking about it for years and today finally just said "if I don't sign up, nothing's ever going to happen." So I did it!
Whoa. I cannot even imagine that. That's awesome.

Salamando

So, in the end, sorry, that was a lot of words for: need more rest, probably. Good luck to you. Keep in mind that you'll do better under-trained rather than hurt.

Thanks. Is it still safe to hit the cardio via ellipticals and stationary bikes, or would that hurt the resting?

Speaking of 50 milers; I recently fell into a deep hole watching The Ginger Runner on Youtube. That dude puts some incredible production values into his films. Pretty much impossible not to want to run a trail right after watching them, though.

Fistwell

Thanks. Is it still safe to hit the cardio via ellipticals and stationary bikes, or would that hurt the resting?
The body heals faster when well rested, but so long as what you do doesn't involve impacts of your foot on the ground, (not a medical doctor but) it's probably fine. It'll slow down the healing a bit, but probably not by a noticeable margin (again, not a medical doctor, just my 2c). Good luck!

Elliptical training is very similar to running regarding muscles used and posture, except for the lack of impact. Of the two options I think it's probably what would hurt the resting more, although not by a really significant margin probably.

Cycling is impact-less, not weight bearing and uses muscles complementary to running, so it might be a better option.

In any case, if you aren't used to using those machines start easy and gradually build up to whatever level of intensity/time you are comfortable with. Good luck with your recovery!

titch

Awesome - ive read several books on the subject and although ive only ever ran one half marathon i love the idea of it.

Trying to get a reasonable 5k time before i start to concentrate on longer distances but one day i hope to be in the same boat as you.

Awesome!!!!

My legs feel great since I ran the half marathon this past weekend. I was barely able to move Sunday, but I chugged a bunch of protein shakes and now feel zero pain walking/running and have way more energy.

I'm hoping to do a sub-1:50:00 half on March 26th. That will be a 0:03:40 drop in time or about 17 seconds less a mile from my race on March 3rd.

The name of the race certainly applied this morning. Was like 18°F with the windchill putting the actually feel temps close to single digits. My first race in 4 years where I wasn't in shorts.

I went for sub 1:20 and the nasty 20+ mph headwind said not today. The first turnaround I lost time mile 4. Everyone said goodbye to their PR at the second turnaround at mile 9 where u could barely move for a couple miles.

Same effort my pace dropped almost a minute per mile. Mile 12 I could actually move again. Atleast I finished nearly the last 800m at 5:30ish pace. I can definitely hit my goal I just need better weather conditions. Just wasn't in the cards today. Believe I came in 6th overall. Hunted down 2 runners ;).

I was about a minute behind my PR. They actually didn't even have a awards ceremony or official AG results on scene since it was too cold.

6HVxjYb.jpg

o39vJob.jpg

The name of the race certainly applied this morning. Was like 18°F with the windchill putting the actually feel temps close to single digits. My first race in 4 years where I wasn't in shorts.

I went for sub 1:20 and the nasty 20+ mph headwind said not today. The first turnaround I lost time mile 4. Everyone said goodbye to their PR at the second turnaround at mile 9 where u could barely move for a couple miles.

Same effort my pace dropped almost a minute per mile. Mile 12 I could actually move again. Atleast I finished nearly the last 800m at 5:30ish pace. I can definitely hit my goal I just need better weather conditions. Just wasn't in the cards today. Believe I came in 6th overall. Hunted down 2 runners ;).

I was about a minute behind my PR. They actually didn't even have a awards ceremony or official AG results on scene since it was too cold.

6HVxjYb.jpg

o39vJob.jpg

Incredible results, congrats! Wind can really mess up the best laid plans.

And with this post I'm off to sleep, gotta go warn some greeks tomorrow ;)

Saya

Is there a GAF Strava running club?

The last few weeks I have been increasing my running volume. I run 5 days a week now with Sunday and Thursday off. 3 regular 6/7k runs, 1 shorter fast run, and 1 longer and slower run on Saturday. It's been going really well and I almost ran 13k yesterday.

For my last two runs, the weather was so good I could run in some old shorts. Turns out I my pace was suddenly so much faster. With long pants I average about 7min per km and with shorts I ran 6:30 min per km. And it also feels so much better with the wind on your skin.

Now that the weather is getting better, I think it is time I invested in some proper running shorts and socks as well. I've been looking online but there are so many options. What do you guys wear? Are compression shorts better than regular running shorts? And do socks really make a big difference?

panda-zebra

Great effort. I've only done a few halfs, but one was on the coast and the wind fucked up any chances I had of a best time on an otherwise flat & fast course. Worst thing was others seemed to cope better with it, felt like I was going backwards.

I'm going for a PB a week today if my legs recover from last week's efforts in time. Luckily for me I've got about 30 more seconds a mile to play with than you had.

Is there a GAF Strava running club?

https://www.strava.com/clubs/neogaf

Are compression shorts better than regular running shorts? And do socks really make a big difference?

Proper shorts better for racing, stops stuff getting too bothersome :)

Proper wicking socks can make a huge difference. My brother only wears injinji, I go for cheaper stuff than that.

pbsapeer

Banned
I think my half marathon is slipping away. My knee is sore again after about a mile of running and my strengthening and stretches don't appear to be working. Damn!

Saya

Joined, thanks!

Proper shorts better for racing, stops stuff getting too bothersome :)

Proper wicking socks can make a huge difference. My brother only wears injinji, I go for cheaper stuff than that.

Cool, thanks. I think I'll just order a pair of Under Armour or Nike comp shorts and a pair of performance socks. There's no way to know which one is going to the right one personally without trying them I guess.

I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and actually buy some proper running gear. I've been wearing a long sleeve white t shirt and tracksuit bottoms from Primark for so long now, I really want shorts of some description at least.

mdsfx

Got a half-mile swim in before the freezing balls 5k. Ended up being the coldest race I've ever ran. My goal today was to help my wife achieve hers (running non-stop for 3 miles). The bonus was that she was just on the edge of breaking a 10-minute pace at mile 2, and when I told her she started to empty the tank and averaged a PR of 9:53/mi by the end, even briefly hitting a 7:30/mi pace at the finish.

I had to start giving her my own gear mid-race to keep her warm. I was a complete icicle by the end and couldn't feel my hands, but she was pretty comfy!

Who would have thought we'd drink the ice-cold, green beer afterwards on a day like this?!

TTOOLL

Open to all GAFers :) You can use https://tapiriik.com/ to sync up all your accounts.

Thanks! Ends up there's a way to make Strava read S-Health data officialy, but no hear rate because reasons, it seems Samsung is at fault here. Anyway, I also found a website on Strava support site that let me import all my NRC activities.

I'll be on Strava from now on =D

Did the Barcelona Marathon yesterday, and managed to finish it in 3:24:53. Not a fast time by any means, but I managed to be three minutes faster than last year. The three weeks hiatus in December and the shin pain of the last weeks put a dent on my confidence so I'm really happy about the result.

I'm proud that I could do the second half faster (1:41:39) than the first one (1:43:15), considering the last 2Km are done on an uphill street (Avinguda del Paral·lel) which is infamous among people that run the marathon.

The fueling strategy also seemed to work pretty well: I took one gel before leaving, one 5 minutes before race start, one at minute 40 and then one every 30 minutes (to take the last gel a bit before Paral·lel). Although I brought my own, I've really have to commend the organization here on the fueling stations: water every 2.5Km after the 5th, fruit on the 15, 20, 25, 30, 32.5, 35, 38, 40 Km and gels on the 22.5, 30 and 35 points. You can pretty much run it without carrying anything if you so choose.

The only negative experience I had this year is when a runner tripped me up when he moved to the side to greet some of the people watching, causing me to fall. Luckily I have some experience in falling into a roll and rolling into a run so it wasn't that nasty of a fall, but it could have ended badly. Still, I have a bruise on my hip and I scratches my knees, elbow and back.

The GPS signal went a bit wonky around the 25-30 Km part of the circuit, but luckily I had Race Screen set up so I could still do an accurate tracking of time and distance with the official KM signs painted on the street.

Not a bad day overall though, and I think I might have been smiling since race finish :D

Top Bottom