• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

This last January was the month I ran the most. I did 7 5k runs and 2 10k runs. So I'm clearly not a regular.
I also do CrossFit 3 times a week so I don't have much time for running even though I love it.

I ran 10k in about 1:04:00 last month and 9k in 51:42 this month.

I don't know if it's easier now to see if my time today was OK or not. =]

And thanks for the first advice!!!

I think for someone who isn't a regular runner and is mostly doing 5k distances around an hour is decent for the 10k, and around 25 minutes is good for the 5. It's hard to really say as everyone is different, everyone has their own pace and goals, but your times are good for the amount you do and distances. I'm sure you'd get under 1 hour for the 10k easily and around 24 minutes for 5k if you made it a more regular thing.

Hey all, just finished my first proper Half marathon race of the year and very proud to say I absolutely smashed my PB! 1:24:22

Was down in Worthing (UK) and despite the grey and cold weather there was a great atmosphere and it was a very flat course.

QdLo8Ft.png

Generally happy with my pacing, feel like I could have potentially picked it up a little earlier for the strong run-in but not by much.

It's been a great year of running so far, with recent PBs for my 10k, 5k, and now this. Properly getting into it and the weekly sessions with GoodGym are really helping incentivise me to get out there and go running.

Anyway, not even close to a humble-brag aside - it's great reading everyone's progress and advice recently. Here's to a great 2017.

I think for someone who isn't a regular runner and is mostly doing 5k distances around an hour is decent for the 10k, and around 25 minutes is good for the 5. It's hard to really say as everyone is different, everyone has their own pace and goals, but your times are good for the amount you do and distances. I'm sure you'd get under 1 hour for the 10k easily and around 24 minutes for 5k if you made it a more regular thing.

Pretty much this. With more weekly mileage you'd notice an increase in speed.

Hey all, just finished my first proper Half marathon race of the year and very proud to say I absolutely smashed my PB! 1:24:22

Was down in Worthing (UK) and despite the grey and cold weather there was a great atmosphere and it was a very flat course.

http://i.imgur.com/QdLo8Ft.png

Generally happy with my pacing, feel like I could have potentially picked it up a little earlier for the strong run-in but not by much.

It's been a great year of running so far, with recent PBs for my 10k, 5k, and now this. Properly getting into it and the weekly sessions with GoodGym are really helping incentivise me to get out there and go running.

Anyway, not even close to a humble-brag aside - it's great reading everyone's progress and advice recently. Here's to a great 2017.

Awesome time dude, congratulations!

I also did a HM this morning and managed to finish in 1h30. If not for the gusts of wind I feel I could have done a little bit better (not much though, the course was pretty flat!)

Regular training since last August got me down to a 22 minute 5k. I would agree regular training will make you faster up to a point where you'll need to start doing some speed work. But honestly I think volume should come first.

I'm averaging a 9 minutes and a half minutes for a mile at the moment. I know I can go faster in theory if I just sprint, but I can't do it consistently without getting serious knee pain. But I didn't be able to do it at all without serious knee pain, so I think I just have to work at it.

I'm averaging a 9 minutes and a half minutes for a mile at the moment. I know I can go faster in theory if I just sprint, but I can't do it consistently without getting serious knee pain. But I didn't be able to do it at all without serious knee pain, so I think I just have to work at it.

Knee pain is often a sign of weak/tight hips/glutes, they throw your form out and you end up overcompensating in other places. Supplement your running with various squat and balance exercises.

Saya

I finished C25K last week and am a little unsure how to proceed. I definitely want to keep running and improving my distance and speed and everything else. During my C25K days I ran three days a week (Monday - Wednesday - Friday) and I'd like to keep that up. Do I need to run more days to get better results or will this be enough?

I was thinking to do a schedule like this:

Monday - Normal run about 5k

Wednesday - Normal run about 5k

Friday - Slower paced run with increased distance? 6/7k?

mdsfx

Is there a NeoGAF Triathlon OT? I feel like I sidetrack the Fitness OT talking about cycling or swimming...

I finished C25K last week and am a little unsure how to proceed. I definitely want to keep running and improving my distance and speed and everything else. During my C25K days I ran three days a week (Monday - Wednesday - Friday) and I'd like to keep that up. Do I need to run more days to get better results or will this be enough?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a 5k to 10k app as well? Maybe try that?

I would strongly recommend you work to 4x a week minimum. 1x long run a week (if your target is a 10k progressively working this up to a 9k then taper before your target race). If you just want to finish a 10k then your other 3 runs should be "easy" (at least 1"/mile slower than your goal pace). Right now for half marathon training I target between 30-40 miles a week during peak training. So for a 10k I would probably aim for at least 18-23 miles a week. Generally the more miles you do (even at a slow pace) starting out, the better you'll get initially as running volume will improve speed initially.

I'm not a bit expert though. Some people in this thread are far low knowledgeable. So take my advice vr with a grain of salt.

Saya

I would strongly recommend you work to 4x a week minimum. 1x long run a week (if your target is a 10k progressively working this up to a 9k then taper before your target race). If you just want to finish a 10k then your other 3 runs should be "easy" (at least 1"/mile slower than your goal pace). Right now for half marathon training I target between 30-40 miles a week during peak training. So for a 10k I would probably aim for at least 18-23 miles a week. Generally the more miles you do (even at a slow pace) starting out, the better you'll get initially as running volume will improve speed initially.

I'm not a bit expert though. Some people in this thread are far low knowledgeable. So take my advice vr with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to read up on the options I have with my schedule. I guess as long as I'm running regardless of the distance and speed at least I'll improve my health haha.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to read up on the options I have with my schedule. I guess as long as I'm running regardless of the distance and speed at least I'll improve my health haha.

Yep. But what you'll probably find is that you should increase your volume. Once you're stable, then you can introduce intervals,hills and track.

satriales

I'm also looking at a watch upgrade from my ancient FR305.

The 235 looks good as it has the optical HR monitor, but it was released a while ago now and I'm sure they'll just announce new models if I buy it.

I also hear it doesn't have the Virtual Partner which is probably my most used feature on the 305.

frontieruk

Thinking of either upgrading my watch to either a Fenix series or a 235. Cyan, Festwill any impressions on the 235?

I upgraded from a fr610 to a Fenix 3 (was a fire sale and I fancied the running metrics from the newer devices).

It's big, DC rainmaker compares it to an Oreo and that's valid, so if you have skinny wrists size it up.

GPS locks in a few seconds once you select your activity, and I've not had any of the issues I had with 610 finding the HRM. Virtual partner is there as is compete against your previous workouts. It's possibly more than I needed (tbh I would of been better off with a bike computer) but it tracks well, works with my cycling toys, and will track my weekly foray into running.

mdsfx

Are there any standalone Android fitness watches you guys have tried? Would love to lose the phone, but with a family (3 kids) I feel like I need a way for them to reach me if needed.

TTOOLL

Are there any standalone Android fitness watches you guys have tried? Would love to lose the phone, but with a family (3 kids) I feel like I need a way for them to reach me if needed.

I just bought, after much research and with limited budget, a Samsung Gear Fit 2 with gps, hrm and you can put music in it to use with bluetooth headphones. It was less than half I would have paid for a good Garmin watch here in Brazil. I also wanted something to get me phone notifications. I'm waiting for it to arrive.

The sad part is that there's no NRC app for it or for Android Wear as far as I know, I believe Nike has some contract with Apple. I will have to use other app, I'll give S Health a try, it is pretty good on my S7.

panda-zebra

Banned
Caught up on this thread at last. Load of great tips again from Festwill and others.

Looks like lots of you are improving, people managing well after injury and others getting in what they can when they can - all good stuff.

I've been taking as much advantage of my quiet time of year work-wise to fully get over that ill-advised injured marathon and the lull in enthusiasm that followed, to the point where I feel like I'm getting back to where I was before the problems, at least from 10k upwards. However, ramping up the miles has left me feeling quite niggly in a few areas. One helpful things I've found is getting in a total of 15-20 miles of trail walking with a few little efforts here and there walking my little doggie 4 or 5 times a week - really good for recovery and adding in low-key, if hilly miles. Rower getting dusty although 23 miles of mud on single-speed bike was a nice change today.

Blergh, /blog

I think Jordi and I are right and all y'all wrong!

lol

What about little fellas like me? We're happy to run with much higher cadence. A weird one I saw on NYD was a guy who came tearing past me and he must have been way over my turnover, it looked ridiculous... but it obviously worked for him. Dunno how far he can go like that though.

Cyan

Banned
I think Cyan or Festwill had that one or the 235 (with optical HR). They might be able to give you a first-hand account of the device.

Yeah I've been using the 230. No complaints really, solid device. Connects to the GPS really fast, simple to use, good battery life, comfortable to wear. I've had some trouble at times connecting to the app on my phone and getting my run data to update, but it gets in there eventually.

I ran a super angsty 8.6 miles last night on Valentine's Day for my longest run ever. I could have kept going but it started raining and my left knee started to have a bit of a twinge in it that I didn't want to push. I'm hoping to do something 10-12 miles this weekend and then I'll be fully confident for my half on March 4th.

Zoe

Um... there's a 90% chance of precipitation during the Austin Marathon with scattered thunderstorms increasing throughout the day.

FML

titch

Had an easier speed set last night - looking forward to the light nights and better weather before the hard work kicks in.

pbsapeer

Banned
Fuck man. I entered the competition on vitality to win a place at the Liverpool half marathon. I never win anything and I flipping won this. Not done much running this year (just a few runs here and there). It's 6 weeks on Sunday. How fucked am I?
I've run a marathon before but that was about 5 years ago. Reckon I can get my body through it??

panda-zebra

Banned
Fuck man. I entered the competition on vitality to win a place at the Liverpool half marathon. I never win anything and I flipping won this. Not done much running this year (just a few runs here and there). It's 6 weeks on Sunday. How fucked am I?
I've run a marathon before but that was about 5 years ago. Reckon I can get my body through it??

Good one, that's a £30 race entry :) I don't think you're too fucked - 6 weeks to a half with a few runs under your belt and a marathon not that far in your past, you can do it. You could do something like this on Sundays leading up to it: 5 miles this Sunday then 6 the following week, then 8, 10, 8 and race. If you could go out for a spin on a bike in the week and/or a 5k jog even better.

Doing all that might really give you the bug again
or put you off for life

pbsapeer

Banned
Good one, that's a £30 race entry :) I don't think you're too fucked - 6 weeks to a half with a few runs under your belt and a marathon not that far in your past, you can do it. You could do something like this on Sundays leading up to it: 5 miles this Sunday then 6 the following week, then 8, 10, 8 and race. If you could go out for a spin on a bike in the week and/or a 5k jog even better.

Doing all that might really give you the bug again
or put you off for life
Haha nice one. Good to hear i might be wrong about being fucked haha. I found a 6 week plan online which im going to try and follow. Hopefully I'll be sorted with that. Quite looking forward to it really. My marathon was in Liverpool, but going up hill through the tunnel and upper parliament street really killed my knees off. I still have trouble to this day with running and my knees haha

panda-zebra

Banned
Haha nice one. Good to hear i might be wrong about being fucked haha. I found a 6 week plan online which im going to try and follow. Hopefully I'll be sorted with that. Quite looking forward to it really. My marathon was in Liverpool, but going up hill through the tunnel and upper parliament street really killed my knees off. I still have trouble to this day with running and my knees haha

I'm doing some longer races closer to home but I've signed up for the 10K in Sefton Park on May 7th - ever done it? Was hoping to try to push my PB because it looks fairly flat, but it seems to be a massive race entries-wise so probably a few bottlenecks early on. Plus I've got the hilly Keswick half the week before and May The Fourth Star Wars themed half, well, 3 days before.

pbsapeer

Banned
I'm doing some longer races closer to home but I've signed up for the 10K in Sefton Park on May 7th - ever done it? Was hoping to try to push my PB because it looks fairly flat, but it seems to be a massive race entries-wise so probably a few bottlenecks early on. Plus I've got the hilly Keswick half the week before and May The Fourth Star Wars themed half, well, 3 days before.
Not done the Sefton park10k but used to run round there frequently when I lived in Kensington. It's a nice park to run round and quite picturesque which helps. It was also part of the marathon course. Lots of backwards and forwards but generally a decent run. I did a 10k at croxteth park. It was called a "bug run". Horrendous. Running through fields with pot holes. Was difficult to gain any speed in case you broke your ankle in a hole haha. Star Wars half sounds very fun. Where are you doing that?

Discourse

I went for my first run of the year yesterday. It was a -7 degrees Celsius morning. Even with all my face covering, it was still painful breathing-wise and I've had a nasty cough ever since. I think I'll wait for at least +1 to start running again.

titch

Upped my long easy run to 15k - the last 2-3k were tough and v.stiff just now.

Not looking forward to tomorrows morning swim and afternoon cycle.....

Overslept my damn alarm this morning. So I had to do my 8 miler solo instead of with my group. Turns out we were only suppose to do 8.5 but I ended up doing 9.5 instead. Ah well.

Upped my long easy run to 15k - the last 2-3k were tough and v.stiff just now.

Not looking forward to tomorrows morning swim and afternoon cycle.....

Did you add a lot of km in one go? If tomorrow you still feel stiff you might want to go for a softer mileage increase.

Overslept my damn alarm this morning. So I had to do my 8 miler solo instead of with my group. Turns out we were only suppose to do 8.5 but I ended up doing 9.5 instead. Ah well.

Not a complete loss then :)

Just finished a 30K race, organized as an opportunity to test pace, strategy and fueling for the Barcelona Marathon (in just three weeks! :D), and 40 seconds in my HRM strap unclasped itself :/

Luckily I was using a compressive t-shirt so it didn't fall or anything but I'm afraid heartrate and run dynamics data is going to be compromised.

Linius

Decided to sign up for a 10K run a couple of months from now. More of an impulse because it's a charity run and my student association is participating.

So I ran 7,9 km the other day in 45 minutes and it didn't even feel that bad. Still a far cry from when I did 10K in 48 minutes of course. But if I can manage to motivate myself a bit I should be able to get back in there.

Decided to sign up for a 10K run a couple of months from now. More of an impulse because it's a charity run and my student association is participating.

So I ran 7,9 km the other day in 45 minutes and it didn't even feel that bad. Still a far cry from when I did 10K in 48 minutes of course. But if I can manage to motivate myself a bit I should be able to get back in there.

A charity 10K race to push your training a little bit further: that's a win-win in my book. You have plenty of time to ramp your weekly mileage to be ready for it, I think. Keep us updated! :)

mdsfx

*Cross post

Indoor triathlon #3 was a success, even though my lungs are still recovering.

I glided through the swim and turtled right by the others gasping for air 5 minutes in. I didn't even care about time. I kept my cadence high on the bike and hit 10 miles at the 30 minute mark. Running is where my lungs really held me back. Got through 2.65 miles in 20 minutes and I know I could do way better than that, but my lungs were on fire and I started hacking.

Overall I'm glad I even showed up, but mostly happy that I conquered the excitement/anxiety during the swim.

Whatever helps you get motivated works! Good luck with the training :).

This reminds me. I still need to sign up for more races this year, including my goal marathon for 2017 lol.

titch

Did you add a lot of km in one go? If tomorrow you still feel stiff you might want to go for a softer mileage increase.

Not a complete loss then :)

Just finished a 30K race, organized as an opportunity to test pace, strategy and fueling for the Barcelona Marathon (in just three weeks! :D), and 40 seconds in my HRM strap unclasped itself :/

Luckily I was using a compressive t-shirt so it didn't fall or anything but I'm afraid heartrate and run dynamics data is going to be compromised.

Good luck with the Barcelona Marathon.

Yeah i upped the distance too quickly and knew i was going to suffer, stuff going on at work just now so used the run to de-stress.

Wasnt too stiff today legs just felt a bit heavy - still managed a couple of k swim and 40k on the bike so all is good

Gowans

Finally completed the couch to 5k app running every other day since the start of the Year, woo!

lijexk1.jpg

I include 5 mins warm up and a cool down but my pace is shocking.

https://www.strava.com/activities/873628850/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1487615651

What's next and what should I do? Very keen to do 45 mins every other day to keep it up, feeling great for it.

The 0-5k app is trying to upgrade me to 10K (or 15k) or a 5k pacer app but can I not just have a plan on Strava now?

Fistwell

What's next and what should I do? Very keen to do 45 mins every other day to keep it up, feeling great for it.

The 0-5k app is trying to upgrade me to 10K (or 15k) or a 5k pacer app but can I not just have a plan on Strava now?
Nice work! Whatever you do, so long as you don't injure yourself and gradually up weekly mileage, will make you faster at this point. You can pick up a plan if it makes it more interesting, but you can also just progressively add easy miles.

Gowans

Nice work! Whatever you do, so long as you don't injure yourself and gradually up weekly mileage, will make you faster at this point. You can pick up a plan if it makes it more interesting, but you can also just progressively add easy miles.
Thanks, I'll try a week of just running and tracking on Strava and trying to up my distance and see how I go.

Thanks, I'll try a week of just running and tracking on Strava and trying to up my distance and see how I go.

The general rule of thumb is to try to not increase your weekly distance more than 10% of the previous week. A new rule of thumb says to try not to increase by 1.5x the "rolling average" of the previous 4-5 weeks. I generally try to flatten out my distance increases every 4 weeks to give my body a little recovery as well.

Overall the best recommendation I can give is listen to your body. If you feel extremely tired better to take a day off instead of hurting yourself and being out a few days.

Top Bottom