• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Final Fantasy series rankings (Voting ends Mar. 2)

Giard

1. FF9
2. FF7
3. FF6
4. FF4
5. FF10
6. FF3
7. FF1
8. FF13
9. FF2

I haven't played the rest long enough/at all to give you a honest opinion.
Actually, I don't know which is my favorite between FF7 and FF9, both are amazing games. I put FF9 at the top because I felt like it...and because I'm not allowed to say FFT.

John

These two posts, on the other hand, run the risk of not being counted. If you've only played through 1-3 FF games out of the entire series, why bother voting in something like this? Voting for only one game is especially egregious, since it's not actually ranking anything.

I've played nearly all of the mainline series, actually. FF IX is just the only one I really like.

ScOULaris

I've played nearly all of the mainline series, actually. FF IX is just the only one I really like.

Check the update in the OP. I have decided to give posts with less than 5 votes half credit with regard to points. It wasn't fair to give posts with only 1-4 games ranked equal weight to those who ranked 5-10 (thus contributing points to more games), and this way nobody's vote will have to be discounted.

frequency

Only liking one game and posting it as #1 isn't ranking.

You don't even have to like the things you rank.

If you don't feel like the other games are good enough to rank, or they're all equal in not-good-ness, then maybe you shouldn't be posting in a ranking thread.

I've said "rank" too much. That word sounds so weird to me now.

ScOULaris

Only liking one game and posting it as #1 isn't ranking.

You don't even have to like the things you rank.

If you don't feel like the other games are good enough to rank, then maybe you shouldn't be posting in a ranking thread.

I've said "rank" too much. That word sounds so weird to me now.

I agree, and I mentioned that same sentiment in the OP update. That being said, I don't want to discount any votes. Hopefully those <5 vote posts will continue to be few and far between, and the one-vote posts will only barely contribute.

ForzaFerrari

Neo Member
Final Fantasy 11
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 12
Final Fantasy 10-2
Final Fantasy 13

Hmmm, thread seems new. So I don't think I've done this yet. Okay, whynot, here goes:

1. FF4; Set the bar. Insanely long, challenging, good character variety, decent story, etc.
2. FF7; So huge, so many awesome characters, just ground breaking.
3. FF8; I really liked the human look they had going on, instead of anime or sprites. Liked a lot of the characters too.
4. FF9; Great throwback to classic style. Great gameplay. Loved it.
5. FF13; Linear with bad story again, like others, but paradigm shift combat and the missions were so good, I had to put it over the rest.
6. FF6; Too easy for me, mostly. Found everything without a guide. Good characters though, love Kefka.
7. FF; Classic, and challenging. Always got stuck at Lich cave until Uncle started playing. Awesome bonding experience.
8. FF12; Interesting take on open MMO style combat. I liked Vaan, Fran, Balthier, but the rest of it was not good for me. Hate Ivalice, hate the story, disliked other 3 characters I can't even really remember.
9. FF3; This game was okay... played the DS remake, but I don't really like class/job entries.
10. FF10; gets here solely because of how awesome the sphere grid and combat/party mechanic was. everything else was not enjoyable to me (linearity, story, characters [except Lulu]). I'd want to put something like MQ above it though, since I actually had *fun* with MQ as a kid and 10 was such a letdown to me.

1. Final Fantasy 9
2. Final Fantasy 12
3. Final Fantasy 4
4. Final Fantasy 6
5. Final Fantasy 2
6. Final Fantasy 8
7. Final Fantasy 3
8. Final Fantasy 10
9. Final Fantasy 7
10. Final Fantasy 5
11. Final Fantasy 1
12. Final Fantasy 10-2
13. Final Fantasy 13
14. Final Fantasy 13-2
15. Final Fantasy 11
16. Final Fantasy 14

Lethality

1) FF6 - Best in the series IMO. This was really the peak of Final Fantasy for me.
2) FF4 - It was either 6 or 4, but after replaying 6 again, 4 will have to settle for #2
3) FF9 - This and 10 were the last good ones IMO. I actually think it may be the best in the series if it weren't for the FF6/FF4 nostalgia. Will replay again to see what I think.
4) FF8 - Not much else to say about this game. The characters weren't the best, but the story and gameplay make up for it IMO.
5) FF10 - Some people hated it some liked it. As for me, I think it was pretty good. The characters I don't like so much, but the gameplay was on point in my eyes.
6) FF7 - Overrated? Probably. All in all, I think it was one of the better games of that generation.
7) FF12- Out of post all Square-Enix merge titles, this is the best by far, gameplay wise.
8) FF3 - Not too shabby. I haven't finished it yet though. started playing for the first time recently. :/
9) FF5 - Another FF title I haven't played back then. Started it recently, haven't beaten it yet. Though I will say that I am liking it so far.
10) FF1 - I have not played it when I was a kid, played it later on I don't think it stood the test of time. Well done for its time though.
11) FF2 - One of the first games I played. Replayed it again and I don't think it aged very well.
12) FF13 - Expected a lot. Didn't deliver or appeal to me at all. Try harder Square Enix.

Online ones I haven't played so I can't really judge, but
FF11>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FF14 Seriously... what is this mess?

Going to have to replay these games. One thing I know for sure though, nothing will top FF6 and FF4 in my eyes... Damn you nostalgia!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
1. Final Fantasy 11 - Return of classic final fantasy vibe, best classes system, many awesome and beautiful maps. I think it is one of best final fantasy game in the series because I can play the game with friends and we had a lot of memories of adventures we had together. It was pretty epic how we just finished many story missions and managed to beat few annoying bosses on the way.

2. Final Fantasy 9 - I love how they brought out the classic feeling of Final Fantasy series, and characters was great. They had a lot of great personalities expect few minor characters which don't get shiny much as they should. Only one thing I hate about FF9 is random final boss.

3. Final Fantasy 6
4. Final Fantasy 4
5. Final Fantasy 7
6. Final Fantasy 10
7. Final Fantasy 5
8. Final Fantasy 8
9. Final Fantasy 10-2
10. Final Fantasy 12

Wortany

1. FF9 - My all time favorite, perfect blend of graphics, sound and dialogue.
2. FF4 - First time I played it, I hated it. I was a kid back then......
3. FF10
4. FF8 - Thought it was a great blend between realistic and fantasy.
5. FF5 - I like the job system a lot.
6. FF7
7. FF13 - The world was too straightforward (made it seem dull in a sense), but it still is a good game.
8. FF12
9. FF6
10. FF1 - Gotta give the first one some credit.

Played more, but not going to rank them.

ecierif

1. FF6; Interesting world, lots of decent characters, fairly unique story and plot twists. The three-party dungeons were fun. I really like the somewhat nonlinear second half of the game (something I also liked about Chrono Trigger).

2. FF12; Some areas/dungeons felt a bit too large and/or repetitive, but I liked the world, battle system, and the seamless integration of battle and exploration. Characters were interesting and well-written. Story had great moments, but did not come together well. The formula should be refined rather than ignored.

3. FF4; It's fairly simple, but I also think it lacked some of the padding and felt faster paced than several of the later games. When I first played, I was sometimes annoyed when certain characters would come and go from the party.

4. FF10; The linear design worked fairly well. The inclusion of towns, temples, occasional side content, and a more engaging story/villain helped it avoid some of the flaws of the similar XIII. Having access to all characters in battle felt fresh. The removal of ATB bars and the addition of the turn order display changed the pace of battle in a smart way. The visual upgrade compared to its predecessors was nice and still holds up today. The addition of voice acting was sometimes good; sometimes, humorously, not so good. I think it has one of the better stories and endings (though a few plot twists are a little odd).

5. FF9; This one felt more like traditional fantasy compared to the fantasy/science fiction of some of the other post-SNES games, which was sort of refreshing. The art, world and characters were more charming and whimsical compared to those in the other games. Battles, unfortunately, felt a little slow.

6. FF7; Midgar may be my favorite opening area in an FF game. Unlike many RPGs, the opening hours were some of the best parts of the game. I liked the Materia system.

7. FF8; The world and characters were good. Drawing was not so good. Triple Triad was fun.

8. FF13-2; The fun battle system, great art and music of XIII returned. I enjoyed the monsters in the party. The streamlined Crystarium is much better. The optional diversions and locations are refreshing. The reused locations are often changed in interesting ways. There are several good, but badly executed, ideas. Time's role in the plot seems inconsistent and the story, though entertaining, is kind of random. I like puzzles but they are too repetitive. (I don't even hate the notorious clocks, but the crystal matching ones are far too easy.) Some of the optional content is really good, but a lot of it involves boring fetch quests or repetitive puzzles. A few of the fragments have terrible requirements (in fact, I imagine I would have a slightly better opinion of the game if I did not get all of them). A certain location is one of the worst levels I've ever played in a game (though its art design is great). Still, most of the time it's more fun and creative XIII.

9. FF13; It took far too long for the game to fully take the training wheels off. The characters were fairly interesting and well written. Like XII, the story has lots of potential and is generally entertaining, but disappoints in the end. Once I got past the opening sections, the battle system was refreshingly fast and different. The great music, graphics and art kept me engaged even when the gameplay did not. The hunts and Pulse were cool (though walking back and forth got old). If the level design and pacing were improved, this would easily be in my top 5.

10. FF10-2; The story, characters, music and dress sphere concept were unusually lighthearted and offbeat, but I enjoyed the wackiness. The battle system is one of the series' best. Like XIII-2, I like the idea of a relatively short main story paired with an abundance of side content, though I never felt compelled to reach 100%. The story is lame, though sometimes it's endearingly goofy. The reused environments made this less memorable to me; I think XIII-2 reused them more effectively while also providing several good new ones.

*FF5 may be added. I have a free copy during my free months of Playstation Plus. I doubt I'll make the March 2 cutoff date.

Compared to the PSOne games, the recent games are somewhat more fun to play because of their fast-paced combat, but the others are still better designed in several ways. I enjoyed all of them for a variety of reasons, though I feel they all have a few annoying flaws (except VI, which lacks glaring issues). I think it would be really interesting for someone to take the fast combat and offbeat, nonlinear nature of X-2 and XIII-2 and pair it with a solid story, entirely new level design, and improved side quests.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1) FF6
2) FF7
3) FF5
4) FF9
5) FF10
6) FF4
7) FF12
8) FF3
9) FF13
10) FF8
11) FF1
12) FF2

I exclude the online games, never played them. the spinoffs like 13-2 (haven't played) and 10-2.

hutna

1 - FF5
2 - FF6
3 - FF12
4 - FF4
5 - FF3
6 - FF9
7 - FF11
8 - FF1
9 - FF10
10 - FF7
11 - FF13
12 - FF2
13 - FF8

ManeKast

1. FF6; The right game at the right place at the right time, my all time favorite game.
2. FF12
3. FF7
4. FF9
5. FF10
6. FF5
7. FF10-2
8. FF13-2
9. FF13
10. FF4

WilyRook

1. FF 4
2. FF 6
3. FF 12; Having every character-building element available to every character was engrossing, as was setting up effective gambit strategies and watching the results play out.
4. FF 1* Picking a completely different party every time and then trying to get through this one with it's fairly brutal dungeon layouts and enemy groupings maintains the desire to replay this fairly often.
5. FF 8; Junction system is unusual and interesting to play with, as is keeping the characters' power in check.
6. FF 7
7. FF 5
8. FF 10-2
9. FF 13; if there was ever a Final Fantasy Arcade game I think this would be it, and I do not mean that in a bad way at all. I really enjoy the frantic timing and spectacle of the battles.
10. FF 10
11. FF 9
12. FF 2

*first one I played, in 1990 or early &#8217;91 (I forget whether it was a Christmas present or a birthday one)

I played through 9 and 10 at release time as well, but I never played through them completely again, though not for lack of trying.

4 and 6 may as well both be in the number 1 spot.

I enjoyed pretty much every single minute while playing and re-playing all of them, I ranked them with the &#8220;If you can only have one, which would it be?&#8221; cliché in mind.

AAK

1. FFXII ; 4 points
2. -- ; 3 points
3. -- ; 3 points
4. -- ; 2 points
5. -- ; 2 points
6. -- ; 2 points
7. FFVIII ; 1 point
8. FFXI ; 1 point
9. FFVII ; 1 point
10. FFX ; 1 point

Xeno_V

1. FF6: Great cast with lots of interesting characters and also one of the highlights of Uematsu's career (awesome character themes by the way - Terra, Kefka, Celes, Shadow, Cyan, Rachel .. so many memories). The 2nd half of the game was also great and a twist that I definitely didn't expect.
2. FF8: Definitely far from the best FF but I really enjoyed it. The junction system was beyond broken, but I thought that it was really fun (back in the day at least), and I really liked the setting of the game - many great locations/cities etc. The OST also happens to be my favorite Uematsu OST.
3. FF9: Well... this one was just a wonderful experience. Awesome setting, combined with some really good characters like Vivi and Freya. The game didn't try to innovate in any way, as it focused on paying homage to the past of the series, but it did this in the best possible way.
4. FF7: I haven't replayed this one in more than 10 years, so I could probably change my mind, as it's the first FF that I completed, and I' ve done it only once. Still it's a great all-around experience with no major flaws and it easily belongs in the best FFs.
5. FF5: While most things were just ok, the battle system was fantastic. I played it on my GBA and I got so addicted with the battles for some reason, that I couldn't stop playing.
6. FF10: Pretty good FF, some ok characters and some boring ones but ok.. The grid system was great though and the battles also good, but the story was uninteresting.
7. FF4: Another solid FF overall, and great for it's time I guess, but after my last replay when it was released on the GBA I wasn't impressed that much.
8. FF10-2: Yeah I know, everything was beyond lame etc, but the dress sphere system was so fun, that I think that this was the best battle system in the entire series.
9. FF3: Played the DS version, it was ok I guess and.. erh.. well that's it.
10. FF13: I played for like 15 hours and then I just gave up. I have never given up on a FF but this was seemed so bad that I couldn't stand it. I hated the characters, the script, the setting and even the OST. They say that battles are fun, but I didn't like them, at least up to that point.

I have yet to finish 1 and 2 and 12 more importantly (shame on me I guess).
When 12 was out I didn't have time to play it and then I thought that I should wait for the translation of the International version. After a while I thought that I should wait just in case they release it on Vita. Still waiting obviously and I don't know if it's the best thing to do, but oh well:/.

P90

This is tough.

FF 9: The music, the charm, Beatrix, best ending cutscene to an FF
FF 7: Sephiroth, Cloud, Barret, Red XIII, the atmosphere, materia; FF 7:CC answered many questions and plot holes in the original (FF 7:CC would have been #3 if it was allowable).
FF 4: Just 'cause
FF 8: Quistis, best summons animations by far, wonderful cutscenes
FF6: might have been higher, but I keep getting lost
FF 5: Fun game
FF 1: Simple, but had charm
FF 10: Solid game, like the level up system, horrible last boss, had the low point of any FF game-"the laugh". Lulu and Auron were cool.
FF 13-2: Not finished yet. Has issues, but like it so far. I am concerned if the series use the FF13(-2) battle system. Too much screen clutter. Meant for people with ADHD.

1. FF8: It's my favorite game of all time and would be TLDR if I wrote all the reasons. I'll settle for a few: Squall grows more than any other character I've ever played and all the characters in general are well developed with nice interaction, truly a character driven game. The world feels more real and developed than the others. Amazing music, especially Eyes on Me. Amazing opening and especially the ending. Triple Triad is the best mini game ever, I could spend hours just playing that. Fantastic settings and grand sequences such as the battle between gardens. One of the better gaming romances (at least as much as one based on teenagers can be).

2. FF10: Well developed characters and great production values between graphics and cutscenes. Interesting story premise that differs from the typical defeat large antagonist to save the world from their rule. New take on leveling your characters up allowing for greater control on their battle development. Another romance plot that didn't make me roll my eyes. Nice soundtrack and great intro.

3. FF9: Enjoyed going back to medieval setting. Fun theme and characters. Charming art style. Interesting system for learning new skills. It really just comes down to providing classic FF dynamics in a charming medieval setting.

4. FF7: Classic RPG game play in a large world. Stand out,varied portions of the game such as the submarine, parade, cross dressing, etc. Pioneered the 3D entries for the series. Super bosses and side quests. Sephiroth is pretty bad ass though not well developed.

5. FF6: Kefka is probably the best villain in the series. Interesting story and developments. Plenty of side quests with great payoff such as secret characters and powerful skills like Life3.

6. FF13: Probably the best battle system in the series (besides it's sequel). Enjoyed the premise of being fugitives on the run. Nice variation in character personalities, some are rather sulky and others vibrant and cheerful. Sazh felt like a real person in the way he behaved and reacted to situations. Shifting paradigms at rapid speed against strong foes makes you feel like a boss. Hunting side quest.

7. FF13-2: I should state that I'm still working on this game but: Kept fantastic battle system. Nice pacing. Interesting development system and integration for monsters as teammates. Varied environments and weather effects. More paradigm bad assery. Plenty of side quests. Fantastic DLC lined up if we are truly getting story segments with the other characters from the first game. Getting characters that you can use all game such as Lightning is pretty great too.

8. FF12: Great battle system and enjoyed the enemies being present on screen. Great story setting and politics, if only they did a better job with the character plot this game would be so much better. Hunting side quest.

I tried to only list the positive points for the most part. I've played most of the others but didn't enjoy them enough to allow them any points at all by listing them ;)

1. FF6 - My favorite Final Fantasy and one of the greatest games ever made. The diverse cast of characters set it apart from the rest of the series. We come to understand the motivations and personality of (almost) each member of the crew as if he or she were the main character. More than any other game in the series, in fact, the "main character" is not clearly defined, especially halfway through the game when we're introduced to the world that Kefka has made.
2. FF9
3. FF4
4. FF5
5. FF12
6. FF11
7. FF7
8. FF8
9. FF13
10. FF10

StuBurns

Banned
I'll never understand the hate for the junction system, other than making characters interchangeable, I don't see any real down sides.

Bulzeeb

1. ff5, because I love the job system
  2. ff6, because there were so many things to do and it had a great story
  3. ff8, I actually liked the game mechanics and the settings
  4. ff9, dunno, just liked it
  5. ff4, good game but didn't like the story that much
  6. ff7, not bad not great
  7. ff12, the game could have improved a bit if van wasn't part of the story
  8. ff10, wasn't a bad game but it wasn't that good
  9. ff1, never cared to finish it

never played the others so I wont say a word about those

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'll never understand the hate for the junction system, other than making characters interchangeable, I don't see any real down sides.

I honestly don't get it either, especially when people say that the Materia system was the best (puke). Draw/Junction system was by far the best combat system till FF12 (I have X-2 sitting right here but still haven't played it for more than an hour in the past decade).

I honestly don't get it either, especially when people say that the Materia system was the best (puke). Draw/Junction system was by far the best combat system till FF12 (I have X-2 sitting right here but still haven't played it for more than an hour in the past decade).

Honestly I always felt like the junction system caused me to never use my spells because all of my best spells are linked to stats and the more I use the spells the worse my stats would get. And of course the better spells had a greater effect on the stats so all of my best spells, especially the ones that'd be most effective in a fight, were linked and thus stat-dropping. In the end I spammed GFs, largely ignored spells except on enemies where regular attacks weren't effective, and pretty much had a fairly miserable time grinding out draws in a fight and then doing one summon after another and hammering square to boost my GFs.

And strangely I nearly went through the entire game twice despite my absolute dislike for the battle system! I found I liked it more the second time through because I leveled properly and took things a lot slower. My first time through I reached the last boss with my highest level character around 22 and the rest in the teens. It was pretty bad, heh.

Edit: And I posted earlier with my list that I don't like the Materia system so I'm not in any way posting this to defend against that one. Barf. I prefer job classes.

Rolf NB

Busywork that involves no challenge, no strategy. Why would anyone like it? Personally, the auto-leveled enemies were a much bigger problem than the junction system. But that still doesn't make it a great design.

edit: binds to status resistances and status attacks are strategic and a good element, but the whole binding to basic stats added nothing to the game. You could have the same level of strategy with just accessory equipment slots, ala FFX, skip all the drawing bullshit, and end up with a faster, more fun game.

Sinople

My ranking changes with my mood but here we go:

1. FF6; Best looking 2D FF, Yoshitaka Amano, memorable music, good characters, interesting story and a lot of freedom and optional content in the second half.
2. FF8; I love the setting and the Junction system. It was really nice looking in 1999 and I remember spending too much time playing the card game. I don't think the story was that bad (never played the English version though) but I need to replay it soon. The last time was more than 10 years ago.
3. FF7
4. FF10; Best battle system in the series. Losing Tsuchida to Gree, of all companies, really is a shame :(
5. FF5; Replayed it last year. Job system for the win and the story is actually not that bad. I've been touched by it more than once.
6. FF9;
7. FF12; Could have been higher with a better second half and more variety in side quests.
8. FF4;
9. FF1;
10. FF10-2; Made it thanks to its battle system and for being a more complete game than FF13.

No vote for
2: I kind of like it but...
3: I didn't much like the DS version and I have yet to play the Famicom one.
13: My biggest disappointment in gaming. But I still consider it to be decently good.
13-2: Not played.
11/14: No comment...

redcrayon

FF9 and 6 are my favourites, getting the most right out of a compelling story, good mechanics and a team of heroes I wanted to follow. FF13 is way down at the bottom, no matter how good the character's hair looked and how many zippers and dangly bits their costumes had, I couldn't stand the cast and the story was nonsense even for a Final Fantasy game.

1. FF9
2. FF6
3. FF12
4. FF7
5. FF4
6. FF10
7. FF3
8. FF8
9. FF5
10. FF2
11. FF1
12. FF13