• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The best game music of all time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Masked Man said:
We need to make this happen once someone creates the appreciation thread.

Okami's not the 2006 action-adventure that needs a defense force. Maybe a sales force, but not a defense force.

Masked Man

I said wow
Andrex said:
Okami's not the 2006 action-adventure that needs a defense force. Maybe a sales force, but not a defense force.

Eh, economics isn't my forte. Maybe more a "support force," then? And, based on your wording, I take it you have another 2006 action-adventure in mind that does need a defense force...?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Masked Man said:
Eh, economics isn't my forte. Maybe more a "support force," then? And, based on your wording, I take it you have another 2006 action-adventure in mind that does need a defense force...?

Of course. But this is neither the time nor the place. :p

vetrox

Good to see most of the Halo music already accounted for.

I nominate:

Sonic The Hedgehog -Starlight Zone

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Chemical Plant Zone

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Title Music

Diablo 2 - Tristram
Both this and the first game has so much great music. Uelman ftw.

Starcraft - Terran 3

Anarchy Online - Sand Dunes
Anarchy Online - Seascape
Anarchy Online - Dungeon Dub
(couldn't find these, sorry... anyone? )

Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Hell March

and of course...

Megaman 2 - Woodman

EDIT: Hmm, seems like Airman, Hell March, Chemical Plant and Dr Wily's Castle Were already nominated. Awesome. Too much to vote for! JSRF, Deus Ex and Portal all deserve credit too!

scarybore

I dare say most of mine will be from the past 5-10 years rather than being really old, but some will probably raise a eyebrow :lol

Baten Kaitos II - Le Ali Del Principo
Berserk ~ Chapter of the Millenium Falcon - Sign (I think this was done specifically for the game)
Blue Dragon - Eternity (lol)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night - The Tragic Prince
Castlevania Symphony of the Night -- Wandering Ghosts
Deus Ex - Main Title
F-Zero X - Decide in the Eyes (Big Blue in other words)
Fable - Fable Theme
Final Fantasy VI - Tina's Theme (or Terra's if you prefer)
Final Fantasy VIII - Liberi Fatali
Final Fantasy VIII - The Man with the Machine Gun
Half-Life 2 - Hazardous Environments
Halo - Halo
Halo - Covenant Dance
Halo 2 - In Amber Clad
Halo 2 - Reclaimer
Halo 3 - Greatest Journey
Halo 3 - Roll Call
Hitman 2 - 47 in St Petersberg
Hitman Blood Money - Apocalypse
Jet Set Radio - Sweet Soul Brother
Jet Set Radio Future - Rock It On [D.S Remix]
Jet Set radio Future - Teknopathetic
Lost Odyssey - Main Theme
Lost Odyssey - Parting Forever
Mass Effect - Mass Effect Theme
Mass Effect - Saren
Mass Effect - Vigil
Metal Gear Solid 2 - "Metal Gear Solid" Main Theme
Metal Gear Solid 2 - The World Needs Only One Big Boss!
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Virtuous Mission
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Ocelot Youth ~ Confrontation
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Debriefing
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Old Snake
Metroid Prime - Title
OutRun - Magical Sound Shower
OutRun - Splash Wave
Panzer Dragoon Saga - Sona Mi Areru Ec Sancitu
Perfect Dark - Credits
Perfect Dark - Carrington Institute
Perfect Dark - Maian Tears
Phantasy Star Online - Can Still See the Light
Phantasy Star Online III Card Battle - Let the Winds Blow
Phantasy Star Online III Card Battle - Tower of "Caelum"
Resident Evil 2 - Credit Line of Whole Staff
Resident Evil 3 - Free From Fear
Resident Evil 4 - The Mercenaries ~ Wesker
Resident Evil Outbreak - Resident Evil Outbreak Main Title Theme
Shadow of the Colossus - Prologue ~ To The Ancient Land
Shenmue - Credits
Shenmue - Antiquity Tree
Shenmue - To The Sea And The Continent Beyond (not sure if its the right name, my soundtrack is down as Continent and Ocean but this title makes more sense)
Shenmue 2 - Dou Niu Rooftop Battle (No idea what the official name is, but one of my favoutrite moments in gaming)
Skies of Arcadia - Ramirez's Theme
Skies of Arcadia - Credits
Sonic the Hedgehog - Green Hill Zone
Starfox - Corneria
Super Mario 64 - Main Theme
Super Metroid - Title Screen Theme
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Song of Storms
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Kotake and Koume's Theme
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Clock Tower
World of Warcraft - Stormwind Theme

Could quite easily fill the list with everything from the Shenmue and Shadow of the Colossus soundtracks, the quality is just amazing in both.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
vetrox said:
Good to see most of the Halo music already accounted for.

I nominate:

Sonic The Hedgehog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mqmN6mw4R8

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5YdvCFkEU

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tf7gu6hKkc

Diablo 2
Tristram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTUz4OnzdM

Starcraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR_7Gr6ANZM

Anarchy Online
Sand Dunes
Seascape
Dungeon Dub
(couldn't find these, sorry... anyone? )

Command & Conquer: Red Alert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0

and of course...

Megaman 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD1eW8wXSk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIJmyE0eT-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRoRt155mA

Your links are inversed. :)

This makes me think... it seems like very few people are actually listening to new music people are posting, like it says in the OP. Can I get a holler from people who are? Thanks. :D

Jiggy

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm going to go ahead and suggest that everyone keeps it to one song per individual game from here on out, as that's probably how I'm going to trim the final list.
Probably a good thing in my case--I doubt that I could otherwise narrow myself down to as few as 40 songs even if the world only had any three games/series out of Advance Wars (series), Castlevania (series), Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, F-Zero (series), Final Fantasy (series), Fire Emblem (series), Kirby (series), Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, Mario Tennis (series), Mega Man (series, including X), Pokemon (series), Star Ocean: The Second Story, and Wild ARMs. :p

Anyway, didn't see these nominated in the OP, but there's always the possibility that some were re-named after I started my YouTube hunt:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Sami's Theme
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - Supreme Ruler of the Nine Heavens
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - The Pinnacle
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - Jail of Jewels
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Snakey Chantey
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard - Cherry Tree Bridge
F-Zero - Big Blue
Final Fantasy V - Clash at the Big Bridge
Final Fantasy VI - Celes
Final Fantasy IX - You Are Not Alone
Final Fantasy Tactics - Battle on the Bridge
Kirby Super Star - King Dedede's theme
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals - For the Savior
Lunar: Eternal Blue - Crowded Street Corner
Mario Tennis Power Tour - Grass Court (2)
Star Ocean: The Second Story - Theme of RENA
Suikoden II - Beautiful Morning
Super Fantasy Zone - Stage 4
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Collet ~it is sad~
The World Ends With You - Calling
Wild ARMs - Adlehyde Castle

Haven't found non-remix links for yet:
Baten Kaitos Origins - Raincloud
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - first level theme
Dragon Quest IV - In a Town
Fire Emblem 7 - Girl of the Plains ~Lyn's Theme~
Shining Force II - Welcome to Our Town
Tales of Phantasia - Take Up the Cross

I'll probably think of yet more, but that'll do for a start, I guess.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'd just like to point out that, even though Deathcraze's list is lolhueg and he's listed multiple tracks per game, it won't take me very long to integrate into my list because he's used the same format:

[ URL ] GAME NAME - TRACK NAME [ /URL ]

If everyone else could do that, it'd save me a lot of time.

vetrox

Andrex said:
Your links are inversed. :)

This makes me think... it seems like very few people are actually listening to new music people are posting, like it says in the OP. Can I get a holler from people who are? Thanks. :D
lol, facepalm.gif

Fixed it now :)

I'm trying to hear it all, but right now we probably have a few hours worth of music. Most people will probably vote for the favourites they know and love anyway :<

Sixfortyfive said:
I'd just like to point out that, even though Deathcraze's list is lolhueg and he's listed multiple tracks per game, it won't take me very long to integrate into my list because he's used the same format:

Right, I'll update my post!

Masked Man

I said wow
Sixfortyfive said:

Fixed my MOTHER 3 worship post. Thanks for the reminder. :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zack & wiki staff roll - the whole game had one gem of a soundtrack, but the credits section is the cherry on top. an amazing irish-roots pirate theme.

also, what's wrong with you people - where's the RE4 staff roll nomination? it's not like the game is obscure or anything.

Sixfortyfive

I've copied and formatted all of the links up to this post. I'll finish alphabetizing and then adding them to the OP after I take a shower.

Thank god US GAF is asleep. I was afraid I'd never catch up.

Sixfortyfive said:
I've copied and formatted all of the links up to this post. I'll finish alphabetizing and then adding them to the OP after I take a shower.

I'm not!

Zzzzz....

Sixfortyfive said:

Anyone who is asleep at 2 AM is a pansy.

KajunW

_Alkaline_ said:
True, but I suppose it's still early enough to change the system. You could have a mod edit the thread title so that people who have already nominated will know that the rules changed, or you could get the thread locked and start a new one, if you think that would help.

The best formula in my opinion would be to keep it at 5 nominations per person, and no more than 1 song for a single game. That way you would get a much more even spread.

But that's just my opinion. If you think this is fine, then don't worry about it.

I agree. I would even take it a step further, by applying the "1 per game" rule to the voting process as well. Or at the very least, keep the amount of tracks per game to a limited amount. It would make things a little bit more interesting and more in the spirit of 'broadening your horizon', as most voters will just list a few (of their favourite) games in their lists. Even though I still expect the major franchises to come out on top, enforcing this limit will make the outcome less skewed in favour of these games.

Sixfortyfive: I know it's a hassle, but could you update the OP with the nominations, or list the current nominations at your website? This topic will only grow as time goes on, and new voters might not know which games are not nominated yet, and are likely to nominate some tracks which have already been mentioned in the topic.

rykomatsu

KajunW said:
Sixfortyfive: I know it's a hassle, but could you update the OP with the nominations, or list the current nominations at your website? This topic will only grow as time goes on, and new voters might not know which games are not nominated yet, and are likely to nominate some tracks which have already been mentioned in the topic.

He's probably still "busy" in the shower :p

Sixfortyfive

KajunW said:
I agree. I would even take it a step further, by applying the "1 per game" rule to the voting process as well. Or at the very least, keep the amount of tracks per game to a limited amount. It would make things a little bit more interesting and more in the spirit of 'broadening your horizon', as most voters will just list a few (of their favourite) games in their lists. Even though I still expect the major franchises to come out on top, enforcing this limit will make the outcome less skewed in favour of these games.

I'm working on all of that.

Final voting list will only have 1 song per game to pick from. I'll narrow the list down myself if I have to.

In the process of updating the OP right now.

Top Bottom