• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

RkOwnage

KLi8cuTl.png

Release Date: April 10th
Price: $199 - $899 *varies by carrier/store/contract etc

The Announcement
Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Keynote

Videos
S6 and S6 Edge Features
Verizon Galaxy S6 TV Spot
AT&T Hands-on and Features

Key Specs via PhoneArena
Display
Physical size: 5.1 inches
Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels
Pixel density: 577 ppi
Technology: Super AMOLED
Screen-to-body ratio: 70.48 % (S6) 71.75% (S6E)
Colors: 16 777 216
Touchscreen: Multi-touch
Features: Light sensor, Proximity sensor, Scratch-resistant glass (Corning Gorilla Glass 4)

Camera
Flash: LED
Aperture size: F1.9
Focal length (35mm equivalent): 28 mm
Camera sensor size: 1/2.6"
Pixel size: 1.12 μm
Features: Back-illuminated sensor (BSI), Autofocus, Optical image stabilization, AF Assist Beam, Touch to focus, Manual focus, Face detection, Smile detection, Digital zoom, Geo tagging, Self-timer, Voice activation
Settings: Exposure compensation, ISO control, White balance presets
Shooting Modes: PopupBurst mode, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR), Panorama, Scenes, Effects
Camcorder: 3840x2160 (4K), 2560x1440 (QHD), 1920x1080 (1080p HD) (60 fps), 1280x720 (720p HD)
Features: Optical image stabilization, Continuous autofocus, Picture-taking during video recording, Video calling
Front-facing camera: 5 megapixels

Hardware
System chip: Exynos 7 Octa 7420
Processor: 8-core, 2100 MHz, ARM Cortex-A57 and ARM Cortex-A53 , 64-bit
Graphics processor: Mali-T760 MP8
System memory: 3072 MB RAM
Built-in storage: 32GB, 64GB or 128GB

Battery
Talk time (3G): 18.00 hours [the average is 16 h (951 min)]
Music playback: 50.00 hours
Video playback: 13.00 hours
Capacity: 2600 mAh (S6E), 2550 mAh (S6)
Not user replaceable: Yes
Wireless charging: Built-in (Qi, Powermat)

The rest of the specs are HERE

Reviews
TechRadar:
CNET:
The Verge:
Engadget:

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Ahhh, title good.

I was actually thinking of switching to the S6. My contract is up next month, and I don't really want the iPhone 6.

Looks like a totally awesome phone! However, I don't see anything listed in the specs about MicroSD card support... did they take that out?! That'd be a deal-breaker for me.

MercuryLS

Banned
Posting from my S6 Edge. Best phone of all time. If Samsung can issue some updates to make the battery life and software a but better then it will be perfect. Love this thing.

Zalusithix

If this is true, that is really dumb.

Well, in any other orientation, it'd be kind of pointless. If the face is up, you might as well just use the screen normally. In the cases where the phone is upright, it's typically in a pocket where it wouldn't matter what was on the screen.

RkOwnage

So I'm probably going to pick up the s6 or the s6 edge this weekend. Thoughts? Is the edge worth it?

Feature wise no, but it makes the phone feel smaller to me and I actually prefer that. The night clock is cool, but that's literally the only thing I use that takes advantage of the edge screen. I have people set up on my People Edge contacts, but I don't really USE the feature. I like the phone, but it's a tough sell at $100 more.

Zalusithix

So I'm probably going to pick up the s6 or the s6 edge this weekend. Thoughts? Is the edge worth it?

It's only worth it if you think the aesthetics warrant the premium over the normal variant. Otherwise, the only thing that would make it worth it is if you find it more comfortable to hold. The edge is basically 90% style, 10% functionality difference.

MercuryLS

Banned
My impressions of the Edge from a few days ago:

- Feels a bit sharp in the hand, can be annoying sometimes when holding it in portrait and landscape. It's more comfortable if you left your fingers anchor onto the edge rather than wrapping the phone tightly in your hand. I've gotten used to it, it's not too bad. On the plus side, the thin edges make the phone feel more secure in the hand, you've got something for your fingers to anchor on to.

- It's still a stunning phone to look at, easily the best looking and built phone I've owned.

- Edge swipes are smooth like butter, touch targets are on the edges are a bit tricky sometimes and other times it's not an issue. Weird.

- Some glare on the edges based on some lighting conditions, can be annoying but most content have margins so it usually doesn't interfere too much. Colour shifting at the edges is really slight on a white background, complete non issue unless you're looking for it.

- I don't know if it's how I registered my fingerprints, but the fingerprint scanner is a quite picky. Sometimes I can get in with a single touch, sometimes it takes several attempts or I have to shift my finger to a different position to get it to work. Partially covering the sensor usually gives you a fail too. I've gone through the registering process 3 times, the first two times didn't work well (lots of errors), the third time was better due to me focusing on how I orient my thumb during the process. Definitely not as slick as TouchID, but it's still good. Hopefully software updates make it better.

- The screen is amazing, full stop. I didn't realize how okish the OPO screen was till I compared the two. The colors, contrast, pixel density, viewing angles are unbelievably good.

- Can't really comment on battery life yet as I've mostly been using it indoors near a charger/wireless charging pad. It seems to drain at an average pace from what I've seen. It does charge unbelievably fast though, like a bit over 1 hour for a full charge and from low percentages it seems to charge like 1.5% per minute. I've never seen a phone charge this fast, the OPO charged quickly but this is even quicker. Wireless charging takes about double the time, works well for charging over night where a quick charge isn't important.

- Touchwiz is pretty nice on the S6, it looks a lot better than previous iterations of the software (more material design and flatness), many apps have been updated to this aesthetic like the dailer and messaging app but other apps haven't (calculator, music), hopefully they update every app over time. It runs very smoothly but can still hiccup sometimes and have to redraw, Flipboard briefing causes some of those but sometimes it can happen randomly with the app drawer. Overall it's good but there's room for improvement, it's not as smooth and bulletproof as stock Android or some other light OEM skins. Even though Touchwiz is scaled back and cleaned up visually, if you look in the ram usage, it still takes up a lot of ram.

- Haven't had a chance to use the camera extensively, tried some low light shots without flash and they came out a lot better than most phone cameras i've used in the past. Very little digital noise, nice colours and sharpness.

- Edge software is kinda useless. I keep forgetting that people edge is there. The night clock lights up the whole screen so it's useless too (I'm guessing this is a bug since the info stream doesn't do this, if they fix this then it'll be useful). Information stream for notifications and headlines has to be activated rubbing on the edge, why would I bother when I can just hit the home button and see notifications that way? The headlines are truncated, better to just unlock the phone and use a news reading app. Edge lighting is also useless, who's going to lay their phone facing down on a table?

- One minor thing for anti-case people like me, this phone sits very stable on a table due to the fact that the camera is mounted in the middle and it's large. Unless you push hard on the side of the screen, it doesn't rock back and forth like the iPhone 6 did.

Overall it's an amazing phone, if you're on the fence it would probably be wise to save the $100 and get the regular S6 IMO. The Edge is one super cool looking phone, but the Edges are double edged swords (lol), the introduce some more glare, color shifting and trickier handling. If you get the Edge, do it for the aesthetic appeal, not for any functional reason. Me personally, I'm going to stick with it. I like it, even with the downsides.

Edit: This post is way longer than I expected it to be, hopefully someone finds it useful.

Arkanius

My impressions of the Edge from a few days ago:

- Feels a bit sharp in the hand, can be annoying sometimes when holding it in portrait and landscape. It's more comfortable if you left your fingers anchor onto the edge rather than wrapping the phone tightly in your hand. I've gotten used to it, it's not too bad. On the plus side, the thin edges make the phone feel more secure in the hand, you've got something for your fingers to anchor on to.

- It's still a stunning phone to look at, easily the best looking and built phone I've owned.

- Edge swipes are smooth like butter, touch targets are on the edges are a bit tricky sometimes and other times it's not an issue. Weird.

- Some glare on the edges based on some lighting conditions, can be annoying but most content have margins so it usually doesn't interfere too much. Colour shifting at the edges is really slight on a white background, complete non issue unless you're looking for it.

- I don't know if it's how I registered my fingerprints, but the fingerprint scanner is a quite picky. Sometimes I can get in with a single touch, sometimes it takes several attempts or I have to shift my finger to a different position to get it to work. Partially covering the sensor usually gives you a fail too. I've gone through the registering process 3 times, the first two times didn't work well (lots of errors), the third time was better due to me focusing on how I orient my thumb during the process. Definitely not as slick as TouchID, but it's still good. Hopefully software updates make it better.

- The screen is amazing, full stop. I didn't realize how okish the OPO screen was till I compared the two. The colors, contrast, pixel density, viewing angles are unbelievably good.

- Can't really comment on battery life yet as I've mostly been using it indoors near a charger/wireless charging pad. It seems to drain at an average pace from what I've seen. It does charge unbelievably fast though, like a bit over 1 hour for a full charge and from low percentages it seems to charge like 1.5% per minute. I've never seen a phone charge this fast, the OPO charged quickly but this is even quicker. Wireless charging takes about double the time, works well for charging over night where a quick charge isn't important.

- Touchwiz is pretty nice on the S6, it looks a lot better than previous iterations of the software (more material design and flatness), many apps have been updated to this aesthetic like the dailer and messaging app but other apps haven't (calculator, music), hopefully they update every app over time. It runs very smoothly but can still hiccup sometimes and have to redraw, Flipboard briefing causes some of those but sometimes it can happen randomly with the app drawer. Overall it's good but there's room for improvement, it's not as smooth and bulletproof as stock Android or some other light OEM skins. Even though Touchwiz is scaled back and cleaned up visually, if you look in the ram usage, it still takes up a lot of ram.

- Haven't had a chance to use the camera extensively, tried some low light shots without flash and they came out a lot better than most phone cameras i've used in the past. Very little digital noise, nice colours and sharpness.

- Edge software is kinda useless. I keep forgetting that people edge is there. The night clock lights up the whole screen so it's useless too (I'm guessing this is a bug since the info stream doesn't do this, if they fix this then it'll be useful). Information stream for notifications and headlines has to be activated rubbing on the edge, why would I bother when I can just hit the home button and see notifications that way? The headlines are truncated, better to just unlock the phone and use a news reading app. Edge lighting is also useless, who's going to lay their phone facing down on a table?

- One minor thing for anti-case people like me, this phone sits very stable on a table due to the fact that the camera is mounted in the middle and it's large. Unless you push hard on the side of the screen, it doesn't rock back and forth like the iPhone 6 did.

Overall it's an amazing phone, if you're on the fence it would probably be wise to save the $100 and get the regular S6 IMO. The Edge is one super cool looking phone, but the Edges are double edged swords (lol), the introduce some more glare, color shifting and trickier handling. If you get the Edge, do it for the aesthetic appeal, not for any functional reason. Me personally, I'm going to stick with it. I like it, even with the downsides.

Edit: This post is way longer than I expected it to be, hopefully someone finds it useful.

Yes and no.
I'm even more undecided on the Edge vs normal. Everything in my mind says to go to S6 (normal) but everytime I see the Edge I get a massive hard-on, despite the edge discoloration and all those problems.

Handling of the Edge seems no problem to me tbh, but I'm coming from an HTC M7 which has sharp edges.

atr0cious

How are you registering your thumb? For instance, I would put the phone on the desk then pick it up like I was going ti use it, then hold it. Then I would switch hands and do the other thumb. Usually one fingerprint has about 50/50 from both my hands so I can pick it up how I want. Then I do it again, slightly different and more standard like the picture says, but still alternating.

This results in me not having any trouble with opening my phone, unless my finger is wet/cold/not completely on the sensor. I really like how quick it is, allowing me to not smudge my screen up with random swipes, while staying secure.

As for the edge comfort issues, I reccomend any version of this cover. It looks great and the edge becomes a nice little groove.

MercuryLS

Banned
How are you registering your thumb? For instance, I would put the phone on the desk then pick it up like I was going ti use it, then hold it. Then I would switch hands and do the other thumb. Usually one fingerprint has about 50/50 from both my hands so I can pick it up how I want. Then I do it again, slightly different and more standard like the picture says, but still alternating.

This results in me not having any trouble with opening my phone, unless my finger is wet/cold/not completely on the sensor. I really like how quick it is, allowing me to not smudge my screen up with random swipes, while staying secure.

I registered my thumb sideways while holing the phone and dead on with my index fingers. That helped as those orientations the the ones I use most often when hitting the home button. Ive had less issues with unlocking the device since I wrote that post, maybe the recognition software gets better with usage?

Edit: I picked up that case a day after I wrote that post, it does help a lot with handling the phone. Such a great case.

atr0cious

I registered my thumb sideways while holing the phone and dead on with my index fingers. That helped as those orientations the the ones I use most often when hitting the home button. Ive had less issues with unlocking the device since I wrote that post, maybe the recognition software gets better with usage?

One trick I like is to press and and hold the home button, and it usually results in an instant unlock. Also the app Tapet has amazing flat art wall papers, perfect for the phone.

Zalusithix

My phone recognizes my finger print 90% of the time on the first try, Never had to go beyond a second attempt when I wasn't intentionally trying to screw with it. It doesn't matter what direction my thumb is in for it to register either. I can rotate my thumb 90 degrees from the way I was holding it during registration and it still works fine.

MercuryLS

Banned
My phone recognizes my finger print 90% of the time on the first try, Never had to go beyond a second attempt when I wasn't intentionally trying to screw with it. It doesn't matter what direction my thumb is in for it to register either. I can rotate my thumb 90 degrees from the way I was holding it during registration and it still works fine.

Yeah its gotten better for me, I think I didn't register the prints very well the first two times. My third try was better. I still don't think its as good as TouchID but its very close.

BFIB

As I was setting mine up, I would go back and forth between a sideways thumb, and a straight up and down thumb. I've only had it not recognize once so far.

Zalusithix

As I was setting mine up, I would go back and forth between a sideways thumb, and a straight up and down thumb. I've only had it not recognize once so far.

I just basically followed the instructions with moving my thumb a bit each time in different directions, but not really changing the angle in relation to the scanner. Seems it'll do rotation to match on its own.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yes and no.
I'm even more undecided on the Edge vs normal. Everything in my mind says to go to S6 (normal) but everytime I see the Edge I get a massive hard-on, despite the edge discoloration and all those problems.

Handling of the Edge seems no problem to me tbh, but I'm coming from an HTC M7 which has sharp edges.

The Edge is just beautiful to look at, in use the color shifting on the edges on white backgrounds is really minor. Glare can sometimes be an issue, but I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. Handling has been improved with a case, without it it us pretty sharp and can dig into your palm and fingers if you grip it too tightly. The design encourages you to hold it with your fingertips rather than tightly like with normal phones. It's a tough choice, but if you're really pining after the Edge due to the cool design just get that. The issues you may have with it will pale into insignificance after a few days. I was completely on the regular S6 train, but after owning the Edge for the last week I'm glad I went with it. Its just such a cool, unique phone.

Been loving my s6 so far.fells so damn gpod when holding it.

Question though...fingerprint to unlock works great but are you able to set it for more then one finger?

MercuryLS

Banned
I love the double click the home button to launch the camera - from anywhere. It opens incredibly quickly too.

Yeah its a great shortcut, double click, point and shoot and end up with a great shot almost every time. The interface is fantastic too, far better than previous Galaxy phones. Samsung got so many things right with this phone.

I wish there was a doulbe tap (not press) shortcut on the home button to jump between the two most recent apps. Man I miss that from the one plus one.

VoxPop

Mine should be coming soon. Pretty hyped. The phone has a LED notification light, right? Don't really care about the specs but the light is a must.

Zalusithix

The edge is actually $2 cheaper per month on my provider. Is there any reason not to get it over the regular S6?

Something seems wrong there. Cheaper per month, but for more months perhaps? I don't see how any provider would be giving the more expensive phone away for less. Especially considering the demand for it is, by all reports, outstripping supply.

Jeff-DSA

Just bought my wife the S6 at lunch. She has no idea. I'm thinking of swapping it onto her charger when she plugs in her Nexus 5 and leaves the room.

I'm a bit jealous right now, to be honest.

MercuryLS

Banned
Just bought my wife the S6 at lunch. She has no idea. I'm thinking of swapping it onto her charger when she plugs in her Nexus 5 and leaves the room.

I'm a bit jealous right now, to be honest.

You should get a wireless charger and put it on that for the extra coolness factor.

Zalusithix

You should get a wireless charger and put it on that for the extra coolness factor.

It's a pity the transparent ring around the Samsung wireless charger only has an LED at the front of it so the glow only makes a small arc around the unit. It would have been better if it had multiple LEDs and a diffuser so that the blue/green charging/charged light would completely ring the puck.

CronoShot

After going through 2 Edges with the screen scratching problem and just getting the regular S6 on Monday, I honestly prefer the normal S6. Not only does it not have the scratching problem, but it's easier to hold with the wider sides, and doesn't have color shifting on the sides of the screen like the Edge does. The Edge looks cooler to be sure, but none of the Edge features are worth the extra cost to me.

MercuryLS

Banned
It's a pity the transparent ring around the Samsung wireless charger only has an LED at the front of it so the glow only makes a small arc around the unit. It would have been better if it had multiple LEDs and a diffuser so that the blue/green charging/charged light would completely ring the puck.

Yeah, but I kinda appreciate that it doesn't light up too much as that would be annoying when I'm truing to fall asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom