• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

So, I obtained an AT&T S6. I unlocked it and threw in my Verizon SIM card. No errors or anything are registered, but I can't seem to pull down any signal.

I've never unlocked a phone before...is there a step I'm missing?

You need a Verizon phone to use Verizon's network. They whitelist every imei/esn that can be used on the network so AT&T and T-Mobile phones will not work. There are unlocked phones like the iPhone, Nexus devices, and Moto X Pure Edition which are white listed and can be used on Verizon.

Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Edge-Colors-7-710x473.jpg

Whatever happened to the S6 Edge green? I've been waiting to get these in Canada. Haven't seen a single one anywhere. Were they never released in north America?

Rendition

I had my S6 for a few months now. I don't understand the negative posts on here.

Touchwiz is fine, it even has a neat close all windows feature I use all the time.

The camera is amazing, the double tap on the home button is a god-send to get to the camera app fast.

The display is drop dead gorgeous with amazing detail and colors that blows away the iPhone.

And I had ZERO software or slowdown issues. The phone is absolutely rock solid and I never had a crash.

It's super snappy too. The best phone I ever owned.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Edge-Colors-7-710x473.jpg

Whatever happened to the S6 Edge green? I've been waiting to get these in Canada. Haven't seen a single one anywhere. Were they never released in north America?
Not officially released in North America. But, the international model works in NA, if you're interested

3phemeral

Uninstalling Facebook helped immensely with performance. It's funny how much it's helped with lag/battery power. I thought it was placebo initially but after two weeks, I haven't run into any issues I normally have in terms of slowdown or lockscreen mishaps. I'll even have Summoner's War running for an hour and even that game will only drain the battery to 75% from a full charge. Damn Facebook.

[edit] Summoner's War is being run on LQ settings using Samsung's Game Tuner app :) What a blessing.

this_guy

I had my S6 for a few months now. I don't understand the negative posts on here.

Touchwiz is fine, it even has a neat close all windows feature I use all the time.

The camera is amazing, the double tap on the home button is a god-send to get to the camera app fast.

The display is drop dead gorgeous with amazing detail and colors that blows away the iPhone.

And I had ZERO software or slowdown issues. The phone is absolutely rock solid and I never had a crash.

It's super snappy too. The best phone I ever owned.

I used an S6 briefly after getting rid of my Nexus 5x. The S6 was noticeably quicker than the 5x in every way. Too bad the battery life wasn't up to par (I was averaging under 3 hours screen on time).

Jacobi

Banned
Just got Marshmallow on the S6 and it's AMAZING.
Fingerprints register much more quickly, and speed in general is improved.
I think apps also don't reload all the time now, hope it stays that way.

Feels like a phone upgrade honestly.

MrBigBoy

Lucky you, I still don't have the update... Shouldn't take too long now

3phemeral

Where are you and who's your carrier?

I have the unlocked S6 Edge, bought in the UK with OXA CSC (Europe wide, unlocked & unbranded) - I got the update yesterday.

My fiancée has an identical phone but she has BTU CSC (UK, unlocked and unbranded) and doesn't have the update.

I just jumped and pre-ordered an S7 Edge on Monday morning. Don't know if I'm an idiot or not. £639, but I'll get £250 back for my S6 Edge from envirophone.com so not too bad.

Just worried about the size of it, I don't like big phones - but I liked the LG G4 when I had it and it's not bigger than that. Hopefully I won't be all, argh, when it arrives.

Oh yeah, huge battery life improvement for me with MM on my S6!

taybul

I just bought the Samsung wireless fast charger for my S6 and I noticed that at 100% the phone kept beeping because the charger would stop charging every 30 seconds or so. This never happened with my previous wireless charger. Has this happened to anyone else?

UFO

Banned
Fuck, I can't deal with this battery life anymore. I can't make it more then about 4 hours on a charge anymore. I just unplugged it 20 minutes ago and it's already at 89%, all Ive done is send some texts. What the fuck is going on...

3phemeral

Fuck, I can't deal with this battery life anymore. I can't make it more then about 4 hours on a charge anymore. I just unplugged it 20 minutes ago and it's already at 89%, all Ive done is send some texts. What the fuck is going on...

Doesn't sound right at all. I could play a 3D game (Summoner's War) for a few hours and it only gets down to ~65% without Battery Saving mode. Do you have bad reception, poor WiFi, or apps that heavily sync in the background?

UFO

Banned
Gotta love how my apps keep crashing every 2 minutes since the update. Fuck this shit. This will be my last Galaxy and probably last Android phone. I'm moving to greener pastures when the iPhone 7 comes out.

3phemeral

Okay, seems to run smooth so far. But I was wondering if anyone has this issue:

When multitasking windows, if you have an app like Line open in a small window with another app in the background, if you're attempting to readjust the size of the popup or scroll through chat, the window will incrementally move left. So instead of being able to adjust the size, it just jumps sightly left. Attempting to scroll will have the window move a bet left again. I tried this with Hangouts as well and it does the same thing.

Seems to have fixed itself. Not sure what was happening.

Also, scrolling through the Recent Apps list feels weird. It feels faster, smoother, bit also less consistent. It seems to lock into a position at times and other times it doesn't.

My battery life has improved dramatically since the update. I was charging once a day, now it's once every two days. I'm impressed.

3phemeral

My battery life has improved dramatically since the update. I was charging once a day, now it's once every two days. I'm impressed.
Do you have Doze turned on for all apps?

Recently discovered the new battery optimization options and enabled it for all apps but one thing to be aware of is: If you have all apps set to Doze AND you have Power Saving on, be prepared to have any music streaming from your device shut off as soon as the screen goes to sleep. So it's advised to disable Doze for those apps. :)

This 6.0 update seems to have improved Chrome's functionality as well. In image-heavy threads, tapping on the forum-navigation tile would take anywhere from 5-15 seconds to open, but now it's near instant.

I've also noticed accessing the recent apps menu is faster, as well as switching between apps having less redraw and lagtime between switching.

I haven't had it long enough to determine battery life performance but the performance feels improved overall.

Just factory reset my s6 active on AT&T and the battery life has swelled. I'm curious as to what was killing my battery so fast before. My phone has been on for 18h16m with general use (snapchat/messaging/internet browsing) and it is only at 51%. I'm very happy!

However, when the heck am I getting the marshmallow update? C'mon AT&T!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom