• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
they make no admission though. they clearly say that this is a one time offer within 3 months of purchase and ask that the case be kept clean and don't replace the case at all. like perhaps with one that "doesn't cause damage" or whatever.

They do though...

They clearly state the replacement is contingent on the damage being caused by the case. I don't understand how it can get any clearer than that.

pg.1
This guide refers to service process for the S6 & 6 Edge display in cases where scratches have been caused by foreign material between S6 Clear View cover and S6 & S6 Edge device display.

pg.1
Where the customer believes that has scratches on their S6 device have been caused by foreign material between the Clear View cover and your Galaxy S6 device

pg.2
This special repair service is valid only once (in accordance with the advice on the previous page) during the standard warranty period for the device. Please note that the Clear View cover will not be replaced as part of this service process.

pg.3
The below display scratch caused by foreign material demonstrates the expected damage caused. The damaged area is marked with dots.

pg.7
To avoid possible scratches by any foreign material or dust, please wipe the inside of the Clear View Cover and the device window surface regularly with a clean and smooth lint free soft cloth.

pg.7
Also, to avoid possible scratches by any foreign material or dust, please wipe the inside of the Clear View Cover and the device window surface regularly with a clean and smooth lint free soft cloth.

pg.7
Q1: Should the S6 Clear view cover be exchanged as part of this special repair process ?
A1: No. This special repair process covers only the S6/S6 edge device itself and not the Clear View cover.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
And yet you're still conveniently ignoring this little blurb in bold right on the front page:

subject to Service centre confirmation that the Clear View cover is the cause of any identified scratches on the S6 display

Dude, there comes a point where it's just better to take the L and stop posting instead of going in circles trying to argue something that contradicts the evidence right in front of you.

Edit: Going through the thread on XDA, every one who posted pictures has the same pattern of scratches, even if the scratches were made by foreign particles, they were caused by the case.

Some people had flawless phones before they put the case on. Lots of people in the thread never had scratches on any phone before the S6/Edge.

they make it pretty clear throughout the document that the cause of the damage is not the case but foreign material that is trapped between the screen and the case. they aren't fixing the case. they aren't replacing the case. they are warning people to keep the case clean and offering a one time fix of the screen for people who didn't keep their case clean. to say the case is the cause is just ignoring facts.

Chanser

Problem is I don't own a clear view cover, I used their fabric flip case.
b274781.jpg

Oh yeah I have sand and diamonds in my pockets, not.

Now I'm using a Proporta leather pouch case.

diaspora

Yes... But they admit that the case causes the scratches, those foreign materials alone sitting on the screen wouldn't cause scratches.

I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. Are you trying to claim that there's nothing wrong with the case and/or screen? If the former, you're contradicting Samsung's own admission.

AFAIK it was materials getting in between the case and the glass.

Shepard

Never use a case on a phone if you dont want it to scratch. No matter how good the case, there'll always be dirt compressed between the case and the glass, damaging it. It'll protect against drops, but for that you just have to be a little more careful.

I wouldn't use a case but I am always taking the train / subway so if I am taking my phone out to check something really quickly, the odds of being bumped into and dropping it are really high. Dang city life.

nib95

Banned
Samsung really did an amazing job with the camera on the S6/Note 5. Front and rear facing camera's, resolution, wide angle, aperture, detail retrieval, overall white balance, macro distance, focus quality, video quality, optical stability, microphone quality, low light performance etc, in all these categories it takes the new iPhone 6S/6S Plus to task. I'd argue the S6/Note 5 have the best overall camera on the market, even though here and there it can still lose out to the other devices, it's by far the most consistent overall.

SAF | Comprehensive iPhone 6s vs Samsung Galaxy S6 Camera Test Comparison

Naturally Verge would never outright admit an iPhone loss (instead it's pit as a "there's no winner"), but I think the samples on their site speak for themselves.

Verge | Smartphone camera shootout: how the iPhone 6S Plus takes on the competition

My S6edge should be here on Monday. I went from laughing at the stupid adverts to wanting one a lot after I actually saw one in person. You really don't get a sense of how attractive the edge looks from the adverts. The software is kinda of dumb, but its a really distinctive and head turning piece of technology in person.

I've never liked the look of the Galaxy (or the modern iPhone which the S6 looks quite a lot like). The edge is something else. That plus Gear VR support and it was an easy choice.

Features I wouldn't have bought the phone without:

Qi charging built in.
Fantastic camera with quick wake.
Biometrics to unlock the phone.

These were all must haves for me in a new device, and of course the S6 checks all of those boxes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Naturally Verge would never outright admit an iPhone loss (instead it's pit as a "there's no winner"), but I think the samples on their site speak for themselves.

Verge | Smartphone camera shootout: how the iPhone 6S Plus takes on the competition
Their samples? You mean the utterly blown out daylight shots from the S6? Or the muted medium exposure shots like the portrait?

Verge was pretty much spot on. There's no clear winner as all four cameras have seemingly different strengths and weaknesses. I'm not even "bummed" that Apple didn't outright win across the board simply because a) we're getting to a point where it's going to be damn hard for ANYONE to outright win in all categories as we approach diminishing returns in still photos and b) verge is right in that if THESE complaints are the biggest ones we can lodge against these sensors and ISPs, we have it really good right about now. I don't think they were being biased at all, even calling Samsung in favor for like macros and whatnot.

MrBigBoy

Have my S6 Edge(Platinum gold color) for over a week now. I'm coming from a Lumia 930 which I loved for the camera, but now with Samsung also having an amazing camera and all the apps I want is best of both worlds.

Only downside is the battery, but I'm using the Edge more every day than I did with my Lumia.

Have my S6 Edge(Platinum gold color) for over a week now. I'm coming from a Lumia 930 which I loved for the camera, but now with Samsung also having an amazing camera and all the apps I want is best of both worlds.

Only downside is the battery, but I'm using the Edge more every day than I did with my Lumia.

I'm coming from a 928. I loved the Windows Phone interface (and I've been running 10 Preview for a month or so and love it even more) but I can get all the Microsoft apps I use regularly on an android and I can get all the other apps too that just aren't an option on Windows phone.

I feel like a bit of a traitor, but then I remember what the edge looks like and I stop really caring. It's a bit of a shame that the app ecosystem hasn't caught up and I hope one day it does... but in the meantime I'll enjoy this sexy phone with a great camera and come November, Gear VR.

Salty Hippo

Is there anything that can be done about fingerprint marks? I love the platinum gold color but I can't stand how dirty it gets, especially the back. I'm about to buy the plain, boring white version because of that but I really want the gold one.

DrPoolips

Neo Member
5.1.1 out now for AT&T!!!!!

Using it now. Edge Apps, Samsung Pay, solid update. I don't know if it's a placebo or not but my phone also seems to be running a bit more snappy.

Ixian

5.1.1 out now for AT&T!!!!!

Using it now. Edge Apps, Samsung Pay, solid update. I don't know if it's a placebo or not but my phone also seems to be running a bit more snappy.
Nah the update definitely boosted performance. I had a Verizon S6 (now a Tmobile model) and I wanted to throw my phone out the window a few times. It performs more like I'd expect given its internals after the update.

nib95

Banned
Their samples? You mean the utterly blown out daylight shots from the S6? Or the muted medium exposure shots like the portrait?

Verge was pretty much spot on. There's no clear winner as all four cameras have seemingly different strengths and weaknesses. I'm not even "bummed" that Apple didn't outright win across the board simply because a) we're getting to a point where it's going to be damn hard for ANYONE to outright win in all categories as we approach diminishing returns in still photos and b) verge is right in that if THESE complaints are the biggest ones we can lodge against these sensors and ISPs, we have it really good right about now. I don't think they were being biased at all, even calling Samsung in favor for like macros and whatnot.

The S6 fared by far the best in the portrait shoot out (Verge themselves admit this), and likewise with the low light/night time shoot (Verge again agree here too). Add to that, to avoid blown out whites and over exposure in day light shots, you simply leave HDR auto enabled. That generally completely rids the problem, and doesn't overcook HDR like a lot of devices do.

Add to that, watch SAF's comparison, and the lead extends to the S6 camera even further, front and back camera. Detail retrieval, amount of noise and grain, death of field, focus consistency, optical stabilisation quality, the wide angle, the microphone quality (makes the 6S's sound tinny and cheap in comparison), colour accuracy, overall white balance and exposure accuracy and so forth. In-fact, the only thing the 6S wins out on in that more thorough comparison of both video and still photography, is photo's taken using flash. There really is no comparison, and there's a pretty clear overall (key word overall) winner. If you take both the front and back camera in to consideration, along with both video's and stills, 8 times out of 10 the S6 is going to offer up better results, if that doesn't signify a clear winner, I don't know what does!

kng3025

After being really excited for Samsung pay, and it being a couple days before it releases, I just found out that my phone won't support once it drops since my phone is the international version and not US.. Pretty disappointed. Any idea if it'll be released on international versions at all?

Azerare

Any good flip cases someone can recommend for the s6 edge(leather preferably)? Also any tips to get the most out of my battery?

Pachimari

After being really excited for Samsung pay, and it being a couple days before it releases, I just found out that my phone won't support once it drops since my phone is the international version and not US.. Pretty disappointed. Any idea if it'll be released on international versions at all?
They say Samsung Pay will extend to Europe.

I'm thinking about getting a S6 Edge next week, but I'm a little worried about the battery life. Is it at least better than the 2gb RAM/16GB LG G3?

3phemeral

Cross post:

S6 got another security update on Verizon today. Still vulnerable to Stagefright, it seems:

Funny that the Moto X, also on Verizon, patched all related vulnerabilities with its 5.1 release.

Pachimari

So how do you all like your phone now after months of use? I'm strongly considering getting the S6 Edge on Wednesday but a few impressions would be interesting.

By the way, is the S6 Edge getting the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update?

spuckthew

So how do you all like your phone now after months of use? I'm strongly considering getting the S6 Edge on Wednesday but a few impressions would be interesting.

I talked about it a little here after owning it for four weeks. Another four weeks later to the day (today) and my opinions haven't changed. The Edge is also aesthetically the best phone I've ever owned, and I am admittedly one of those people who cares greatly about a phone's looks. Not that I'd settle for mediocre specs or performance or anything, but the physical design of a phone is equally important to me. Both versions are gorgeous, but the Edge is a real eye-catcher.

After eight weeks of ownership, I can honestly say I've not had a single performance issue, and if the reports of 5.1.1 being better are true I can't see myself encountering any for the foreseeable future (my phone updated last Saturday).

Pachimari

I talked about it a little here after owning it for four weeks. Another four weeks later to the day (today) and my opinions haven't changed. The Edge is also aesthetically the best phone I've ever owned, and I am admittedly one of those people who cares greatly about a phone's looks. Not that I'd settle for mediocre specs or performance or anything, but the physical design of a phone is equally important to me. Both versions are gorgeous, but the Edge is a real eye-catcher.

After eight weeks of ownership, I can honestly say I've not had a single performance issue, and if the reports of 5.1.1 being better are true I can't see myself encountering any for the foreseeable future (my phone updated last Saturday).
I read your old post. How much space do you get with Drive for free? And can the phone automatically upload the photos to Drive, like Dropbox can do?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The S6 fared by far the best in the portrait shoot out (Verge themselves admit this), and likewise with the low light/night time shoot (Verge again agree here too). Add to that, to avoid blown out whites and over exposure in day light shots, you simply leave HDR auto enabled. That generally completely rids the problem, and doesn't overcook HDR like a lot of devices do.

Add to that, watch SAF's comparison, and the lead extends to the S6 camera even further, front and back camera. Detail retrieval, amount of noise and grain, death of field, focus consistency, optical stabilisation quality, the wide angle, the microphone quality (makes the 6S's sound tinny and cheap in comparison), colour accuracy, overall white balance and exposure accuracy and so forth. In-fact, the only thing the 6S wins out on in that more thorough comparison of both video and still photography, is photo's taken using flash. There really is no comparison, and there's a pretty clear overall (key word overall) winner. If you take both the front and back camera in to consideration, along with both video's and stills, 8 times out of 10 the S6 is going to offer up better results, if that doesn't signify a clear winner, I don't know what does!
IMHO front camera isn't worth talking about in the realm of serious photography (just mirroring alone, etc)

Both CNET and PC Mag concluded that overall the 6s holds up better in outdoor shots, and Verge largely agreed. HDR isn't a catch all band aid. If the scene supports it (low motion), fantastic. If it's a high motion scene HDR will produce an unusable picture. Verge also seems to conclude that outdoor shots are better on the 6s with all three noting that Samsung gets a little better detail at 16Mp (which then often suffers on the edges in 16:9, but still only resolves ~12Mp in 4:3. Biggest problem with Samsung outdoors seems to be a seemingly "artistic" white balance employed on many shots. They look great but also aren't 1:1 representative of what you're looking at with your eyes.

So I have no idea where your 8 out of 10 number comes from. Samsung camera is fantastic and all around is tremendous. Though outside of bias I'm not quite sure where you're seeing the 6s shots as "clear losers". To each their own I guess.

spuckthew

I read your old post. How much space do you get with Drive for free? And can the phone automatically upload the photos to Drive, like Dropbox can do?

Yeah, I think Google Photos does this, except I don't personally use it. I believe you can configure direct to Drive too though. Maybe when I start actually taking a ton of photos I'll care about them being backed up :p

You get 15 GB free.

diaspora

Yeah, IIRC the S6 was better than the 6S at... everything except for oversharpening landscape shots.

Salty Hippo

Got mine a week ago. Everything is fine except that sometimes when I unlock the screen with my fingerprint the device reboots immediately. Has happened 4-5 times so far, it's not super annoying but I don't think should be happening with a brand new phone.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? I've seen reports of problems about the S6 restarting over and over, but found nothing specific to my issue.

Gawge

My S4 is dying, and due for an upgrade.

Is S6 the way to go? (I've previously had an S2 and S4).

Feel like maybe I should change it up though? Xperia Z5, iPhone 6s?

kng3025

My S4 is dying, and due for an upgrade.

Is S6 the way to go? (I've previously had an S2 and S4).

Feel like maybe I should change it up though? Xperia Z5, iPhone 6s?

I would say go for the s6. It's totally worth it, at least for me. I had the S3 for about two years and it crapped out on me last month. .The jump from that to the s6 edge was really something.. The Xperia Z5 does look sexy though. If I didn't get the s6,that would have been my second choice

I'm now a S6 owner. Switched cell phone companies, and got a free upgrade. Im coming from an S1 that was practically useless. This is a huge shock, its a really good phone. Very fast, good camera, and I can use apps and nternet without my battery draining like crazy.

kng3025

I'm now a S6 owner. Switched cell phone companies, and got a free upgrade. Im coming from an S1 that was practically useless. This is a huge shock, its a really good phone. Very fast, good camera, and I can use apps and nternet without my battery draining like crazy.

I know the feeling. While my previous phone wasn't as old, it is nice having a phone that is responsive, fast and actually works like it is supposed to. The battery is quite impressive compared to my s3.

mjc

My gf and I are going to be getting new phones in the next day or so...we've both had iPhones. (I have a 5, she has a 5S) It looks like we're gonna go with the S6 Edge. How're things overall? Looking back in this thread it seems like some of the larger issues have been patched?

Oxn

Getting a new phone in a week or so.

Im using a 6plus right and i dunno if i should get a 6S Plus, or get something new and exciting like the s6 edge plus or new droid turbo 2 coming out, while i wait for the iphone 7 next year.

As good as iphone os is, im a little bored of it, so maybe use android for a year

clav

Getting a new phone in a week or so.

Im using a 6plus right and i dunno if i should get a 6S Plus, or get something new and exciting like the s6 edge plus or new droid turbo 2 coming out, while i wait for the iphone 7 next year.

As good as iphone os is, im a little bored of it, so maybe use android for a year

Are you bored of iOS because it's troublefree?

What do you mean by bored?

Oxn

Are you bored of iOS because it's troublefree?

What do you mean by bored?

Its becoming too familiar.n so maybe take a break from it for a year. The fact that the 6s plus looks the same as its predesessor doesnt help.

The edge plus in gold looks so rediculously good. And i have to upgrade cause my contract is up.

Its becoming too familiar.n so maybe take a break from it for a year. The fact that the 6s plus looks the same as its predesessor doesnt help.

The edge plus in gold looks so rediculously good. And i have to upgrade cause my contract is up.

that's a terrible reason to switch. just get a 6S+

don't switch to Android if you don't actually want to use Android

jailbreak and mess around or something

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I got my phone wet, AGAIN. This time not by jacuzzi water. But by rain.

Now the charging port doesnt work. So the only way to charge my phone is with the wireless charger.

fml.

S7 better be waterproof or I'm going back to the S5.

Oxn

Just went to the store to test out both the s6 edge plus and the 6s plus

I was blown away by the s6 edge, and i just ordered it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom