• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Oh didn't know the S6 had a thread

I've had mine for about 3 weeks and while I'm overall happy with it, there are some things that I wish would be better.

My biggest issue is that performance just doesn't seem as smooth as you would expect for such a expensive "high end" phone, which is a shame:
- Scrolling feels laggy and janky: scrolling through some sites and even apps just feels more laggy than it should, it often doesn't really feel any smoother than my Moto G (old model). I've even encountered some where for no reason (doesn't seem to be a lot going on in the site) it gets like 1-2 seconds input lag

- Performance in games is that great either. Not that I play a lot of games on my phone. But I downloaded some of the more graphically demanding ones and was surprised by how poorly some of them perform. Asphalt 8 for example feels like it often drops below 30fps

- Agressive background app killing: It's weird how it often has to reload apps I was just using a few minutes ago.

It's pretty much every Samsung phone for you. I switched away from Samsung to Motorola and have been very happy ever since.

darkwing

Oh didn't know the S6 had a thread

I've had mine for about 3 weeks and while I'm overall happy with it, there are some things that I wish would be better.

My biggest issue is that performance just doesn't seem as smooth as you would expect for such a expensive "high end" phone, which is a shame:
- Scrolling feels laggy and janky: scrolling through some sites and even apps just feels more laggy than it should, it often doesn't really feel any smoother than my Moto G (old model). I've even encountered some where for no reason (doesn't seem to be a lot going on in the site) it gets like 1-2 seconds input lag

- Performance in games is that great either. Not that I play a lot of games on my phone. But I downloaded some of the more graphically demanding ones and was surprised by how poorly some of them perform. Asphalt 8 for example feels like it often drops below 30fps

- Agressive background app killing: It's weird how it often has to reload apps I was just using a few minutes ago.

Also it gets pretty hot when using games or the camera. Which I've read is normal but I still find wierd.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still pretty happy with it. I like the design, the screen looks amazing and I love the camera. And while in some areas it feels more laggy than it should, in others it's still really quick and responsive (lots of apps run great and have really good loading times)

heh same complaint I have on my S5

3phemeral

Unfortunately, despite disabling a bunch of features, doing a Factory Reset, and being absolutely sure to keep an eye on my apps performance, I still experienced a bit of crippling lockscreen lag. It was as though the phone couldn't ramp up the CPU at all and just remained frozen at a partial lockscreen image.

The phone had a fresh reboot that morning and I went to pick someone up. I experienced some traffic exiting the freeway so I wanted to call to update them on my location but no go: The phone continued to play music fine; however, it wouldn't unlock. No amount of fiddling with the power button, the fingerprint scanner, or the volume keys would make any change in what was happening. After about 5 minutes of trying to unlock the phone so that I could call to notify them I arrived, I gave up. Then, after letting it sit for a few minutes, it just wakes up and unlocks like nothing was wrong.

Thankfully, the is the worst I ever experienced it since the 5.1.1 update so I'm hoping if it does happen again, I can pinpoint what's causing it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Skyzard

Banned
Really enjoying everything about this phone (edge), came from a note 2.

Only issue is the speakers...theyre shit.
Mine are anyway...

Both volume and quality isnt good.

Skyzard

Banned
Worried about it in a loud environment, not sure yet.

Anyone know a fix for the constant my places notification telling you it needs wifi or bluetooth on to use it?
Option to disable the notification is greyed out for my places, I dont use the widget.

Im guessing samsung wants to track user location data, which is why it's popping up everyday, all the time.

I disable wifi and bluetooth when im not using them to save battery so this is pretty shitty from samsung.

I dont want to root my phone as I had issues updating with my note 2 and its a hassle.

Fucking samsung.

Skyzard

Banned
Not possible with My Places, thats also greyed out.

Lf7aI0c.jpg

They really want to lock you out and remind you to allow them to locate you.

And you may leave your wifi or bluetooth on, like the notification mentions perhaps. I always hit the toggles for both when I'm not using them. As in if I leave the house and won't be using wifi for the whole day...now it will be scanning all the fucking time.

There is one program people mentioned that i came across when googling a non-root solution (others have the problem but havent seen proper solutions).
Anyway that program seemed weird as fuck, not sure if the change lasts through a restart even. But I can't test it till I'm back on a Windows os, next weekish.

Guess ill just leave wifi on and rinse my battery more unless i come across a good root and recovery guide for the three version of the edge.

Fuck you and your shitty bloatware samsung. Hope someone sues for this. Can't even disable my own wifi and bluetooth without being constantly hassled for your location shit I'm not even ever using!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I won't be buying samsung again unless there is a root and recovery guide already available for the specific phone I want. Keep your shitty parasitic software.

Might try package disabler, just read about it from a new comment made to one of the threads i read before. Bought it, will see if I still get the notifications.
Nice, easy to use and woke up this morning to no shitty fake notifications so im pleased.

Ugh, this is bugging the hell out of me.

How do I get Facebook and Facebook Messenger to stop auto updating?

I have auto updates turned off at both the app and store level on Google Play and Samsung's app store. Yet they still auto update. I never had this problem before I got a Samsung phone. How do I stop this?

xkramz

Ugh, this is bugging the hell out of me.

How do I get Facebook and Facebook Messenger to stop auto updating?

I have auto updates turned off at both the app and store level on Google Play and Samsung's app store. Yet they still auto update. I never had this problem before I got a Samsung phone. How do I stop this?
if im not mistaken i think you could turn off background date on some apps?

i turned off background data on google play services and my battery improved.

if im not mistaken i think you could turn off background date on some apps?

i turned off background data on google play services and my battery improved.

I think you're confused about what I'm asking; maybe I didn't phrase it well. The app is downloading a new version and installing it when it's available even though I've turned it off in Google Play and Samsung's store. It's not about updating the content in the app; it's about downloading and installing a new version of the app when I don't want it to.

T-Mo update also comes with the new icons associated with the Note 5 and S6e+. They definitely look better. Not really a huge deal cause I use the Material Design theme, but nice of them to finally update their old icons.

Holy crap nice touch. Using the Samsung browser and going to some sites changes the color of the browser. One I used was Android central.com. It was changed to green.

kng3025

http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s6-s6-edge-advanced-messaging-update-641303/

New update for T-Mobile S6 and S6e. Brings advanced messaging and native video calling. Some other minor stuff as well. DLing mine as we speak.

Got a question I hope someone can help me out with. I recently got the s6 edge as a gift from my friend. It's the unlocked international version(I live in the U.S.) though and was wondering if Ill still be able to download the new T-Mobile update at all. I'm a T-Mobile customer and have a T-Mobile SIM card. The native video calling is something that would probably get a lot of use from me.

Got a question I hope someone can help me out with. I recently got the s6 edge as a gift from my friend. It's the unlocked international version(I live in the U.S.) though and was wondering if Ill still be able to download the new T-Mobile update at all. I'm a T-Mobile customer and have a T-Mobile SIM card. The native video calling is something that would probably get a lot of use from me.

Nope that update is only for the T-Mo variant. Things like Wi-fi calling and VOLTE that the T-Mo one has you can't get unless it's specifically for your variant.

I turned off the double tap home button to launch camera. It lags a bit if you wanna just use the home button to go to the home page when it's on. Alot smoother when it's turned off.

kng3025

Damn,not a bad deal at all. I've had mine for a week now and love it. Quite the step up for me considering my last phone was the s3.

Holy shit really? Have you tried updating via Samsung switch on PC?

It's been available on T-Mobile and Sprint for a long time now. It's even hit Verizon for weeks now which is notorious for being last. There's been no info out of AT&T and no indicators of when it'll come. I've never had to deal with carrier updates before, so this experience has been quite annoying. I'm sure it has to come at some point, but this is ridiculous with how long it's taking.

kng3025

It's been available on T-Mobile and Sprint for a long time now. It's even hit Verizon for weeks now which is notorious for being last. There's been no info out of AT&T and no indicators of when it'll come. I've never had to deal with carrier updates before, so this experience has been quite annoying. I'm sure it has to come at some point, but this is ridiculous with how long it's taking.

That really is ridiculous. There's no reason it should take this long for a company to release updates for their products. My phone is the international version and prompted me to update 5.1.1 once I took it out the box on the 5th of this month. It sucks that I won't be able to get the tmobile specific updates though. The advanced messaging seems cool..have you tried calling AT&T about it?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So I love my S6 Edge, but Samsung really cheaped out on the glass for this phone. I had my HTC One for 2 years and barely got one scratch on the screen, and the one scratch happened in the last few months before my uograde. This phone? It hasn't been 4 months and already my screen is scratched like hell and it's driving me crazy.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I wish i could double tap the home button to open up the snap chat camera instead.

I find myself using that more than the normal camera aince it can save images too.

So I love my S6 Edge, but Samsung really cheaped out on the glass for this phone. I had my HTC One for 2 years and barely got one scratch on the screen, and the one scratch happened in the last few months before my uograde. This phone? It hasn't been 4 months and already my screen is scratched like hell and it's driving me crazy.

they used Gorilla Glass 4 on both sides. very few things are hard enough to easily scratch it.

UFO

Banned

Using the best available screen glass is "cheaping out"?

GSG Flash

they used Gorilla Glass 4 on both sides. very few things are hard enough to easily scratch it.

Doesn't explain why it scratched easier than my HTC One despite me babying it a lot more(considering the price). This is the first phone I've ever owned that's scratched this quick. Granted they're just hairline scratches and I can only see them under certain light, but it's still annoying.

There's been a lot of people online complaining about the phone scratching easily.

Dat ban.

Fault of the shitty flip case, not the phone.

It's too bad Samsung is making flip cases with one of the very few materials in the world that can scratch the screen ;)

GSG Flash

the material in a flip case isn't even hard enough to scratch a plastic screen. maybe you had some sand or spare diamonds clung to the flip case?

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/5...your-screen-for-free-here-are-the-details.htm

Samsung has started to replace the screens of Galaxy S6 devices damaged by the company's Clear View cases, a few weeks after finally acknowledging the issue. It appears that the top layer of Corning Gorilla glass is a bit too low on the Mohs scale of hardness.

Even Samsung has acknowledged an issue with the case, now if they'll only acknowledge the fact that the screen is scratch prone.

GSG Flash

you should check the source on that.

they give examples and the ones they say are and aren't caused by "foreign material between S6 Clear View cover and S6 & S6 Edge device display" and you should be able to tell which you have.

Samsung's admission and willingness to replace scratched screens caused by the cover speaks quite loudly to me about where the issue lies.

Also, your own words were that there are very few things that can scratch the screen, how many foreign materials could there be that would be hard enough to scratch the screen?

I don't see any point of defending Samsung here.

Samsung's admission and willingness to replace scratched screens caused by the cover speaks quite loudly to me about where the issue lies.

Also, your own words were that there are very few things that can scratch the screen, how many foreign materials could there be that would be hard enough to scratch the screen?

I don't see any point of defending Samsung here.
did you check the source document of the article that you linked or nah?

GSG Flash

did you check the source document of the article that you linked or nah?

I did, I don't see your point. Samsung still admits that the cause of the scratches is the case:

subject to Service centre confirmation that the Clear View cover is the cause of any identified scratches on the S6 display

And to be honest, a case should never be able to cause scratches on a screen that's supposed to be as scratch resistant as Gorilla Glass 4, foreign material(sans sand or diamonds) on the case or not.

well, first, they have several examples of the types of damage that aren't covered, and those are the typical scratches most people experience.

then they pretty clearly say that the cause is foreign materials between the case and screen.

and finally they fix the screen and add a screen protector but don't replace the case.

GSG Flash

well, first, they have several examples of the types of damage that aren't covered, and those are the typical scratches most people experience.

then they pretty clearly say that the cause is foreign materials between the case and screen.

and finally they fix the screen and add a screen protector but don't replace the case.

Yes... But they admit that the case causes the scratches, those foreign materials alone sitting on the screen wouldn't cause scratches.

I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. Are you trying to claim that there's nothing wrong with the case and/or screen? If the former, you're contradicting Samsung's own admission.

Yes... But they admit that the case causes the scratches, those foreign materials alone sitting on the screen wouldn't cause scratches.

I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. Are you trying to claim that there's nothing wrong with the case and/or screen? If the former, you're contradicting Samsung's own admission.

they make no admission though. they clearly say that this is a one time offer within 3 months of purchase and ask that the case be kept clean and don't replace the case at all. like perhaps with one that "doesn't cause damage" or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom