• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy / Game Boy Color Appreciation Thread

Chopper

I have both a red and blue gameboy camera. When I see them for a dollar I can't pass them up.

Last 4th of july, I went to a festival with the red gameboy and the blue camera to take street photos. It was really fun.
Pro tip: A Game Boy Light breathes new life into a Camera.

Pietepiet

GameBoy Cameras are incredibly fun to mess with. Me and a friend used to run a Tumblr with GBCamera shots. We've kind of neglected it for the past couple months, though

Parallacs

A while back I was trying to create 3D gameboy camera photos using two of my gameboy cameras on separate gameboys, then converting the pictures to MPO and importing to the 3DS.

I lost motivation pretty fast.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hello friends. Sorry to bump this old thread, if that is frowned upon. I thought it would be better this way. Let me tell you a tale.

Once upon a time I owned a Game Boy Pocket, which I loved very much. It was my first handheld ever, and may yet still be #1 in my heart. Then one sad day, it was stolen along with all the games except Dr Mario, which I wasn't huge on anyway. The end.

So, now I have a 3DS and I'm about ready to drop a mass of cash on some classics, but there are some I never played before. Oh, what to do?

Owned before:
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby's Star Stacker
Wario Land
Tetris

I had others but they aren't on the eshop.

Didn't own before:
Donkey Kong (but played it and enjoyed it)
Metroid II
Super Mario Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Avenging Spirit

I suppose what I'm asking is: Would you recommend NOT getting any of these? If so, let me know why. Also, are some others on the eshop totally awesome? Okay thanks.

Is it weird that I want the original Link's Awakening but NOT the DX version? Nostalgia is what it is, man.

FIfAWLw.jpg

Still have my original GBC. Got it signed by Veronica Taylor, the original English voice of Ash Ketchum.

I wish I still had most of my games. Besides Pokemon, I was completely obsessed with Mario Tennis for the GBC.

Edit: Damn, didn't see how old the bump to this was. That's what I get for making sleepy 1 AM posts.

womp

Still have my original GBC. Got it signed by Veronica Taylor, the original English voice of Ash Ketchum.

I wish I still had most of my games. Besides Pokemon, I was completely obsessed with Mario Tennis for the GBC.

Edit: Damn, didn't see how old the bump to this was. That's what I get for making sleepy 1 AM posts.

Better off putting it over in the GBA/GB collecting thread. Much more active!

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=512997

Hello friends. Sorry to bump this old thread, if that is frowned upon. I thought it would be better this way. Let me tell you a tale.

Once upon a time I owned a Game Boy Pocket, which I loved very much. It was my first handheld ever, and may yet still be #1 in my heart. Then one sad day, it was stolen along with all the games except Dr Mario, which I wasn't huge on anyway. The end.

So, now I have a 3DS and I'm about ready to drop a mass of cash on some classics, but there are some I never played before. Oh, what to do?

Owned before:
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Pinball Land
Kirby's Star Stacker
Wario Land
Tetris

I had others but they aren't on the eshop.

Didn't own before:
Donkey Kong (but played it and enjoyed it)
Metroid II
Super Mario Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Avenging Spirit

I suppose what I'm asking is: Would you recommend NOT getting any of these? If so, let me know why. Also, are some others on the eshop totally awesome? Okay thanks.

All of those games except for Avenging Spirit are great games any Game Boy fan should definitely own, and Avenging Spirit is a decent game certainly worth considering.

Is it weird that I want the original Link's Awakening but NOT the DX version? Nostalgia is what it is, man.
I like it more too... nostalgia is certainly part of it, but also I'm used to the game in monochrome, and don't like the added costumes that make the game easier. The additional hints in dungeons aren't as big of a deal, but the game was just as good or better without them, too. And the added color dungeon... isn't one of the best.

Check this out:

“Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3″ Brings The Classic Entry To The Nintendo Game Boy Color Handheld
http://www.retrogamenetwork.com/201...ntry-to-the-nintendo-game-boy-color-handheld/

This new port of the game comes to us from Deviant Art member “z80artist” (PSC). According to the developer, this version of the game is compatible with both the Game Boy Color as well as the original black & white classic model (as shown above), runs at 60 frames per second, and supports the2 player Super Game Boy. In addition, many of the animations shown on this version run at the same number of FPS as the arcade version. It takes advantage of most of the known hardware tricks, including having over 40 sprites, LYC parallax scrolling, animated backgrounds, flicker effects, background tiles as “sprites”, multiple OAM buffers, and so on and so forth.
Capture.png

ddd.jpg

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwoVsvt7luI

I wish there were more fans of the Gameboy, I have such fond memories of this little system.

Anyways, came to ask a question about this beast:

GBBoyColourBlue.jpg

It's a backlit clone that plays GB/GBC games. Anyone have one? I've been looking for a Gameboy Light on eBay and stumbled on this. While not an original, the prospect of having a full backlit Gameboy like this would be awesome.

Peagles

I wish there were more fans of the Gameboy, I have such fond memories of this little system.

Anyways, came to ask a question about this beast:

GBBoyColourBlue.jpg

It's a backlit clone that plays GB/GBC games. Anyone have one? I've been looking for a Gameboy Light on eBay and stumbled on this. While not an original, the prospect of having a full backlit Gameboy like this would be awesome.

I have one, it's worth it for $20 or so but I wouldn't pay what some people are charging now. The aspect ratio isn't right but overall it's a solid system and there's currently no official backlit mods for GBC.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Anybody here get a copy of Jeremy Parish's new Game Boy World 1989 book? I'm curious to know how much more detailed it is vs. the video series and blog.
Nothing to get too excited about. It's a compilation of the website content with some additional articles and high-res photography.

Booter

Icame to ask a question about this beast:

GBBoyColourBlue.jpg

Better than the original GBC! Pair it with an Everdrive GB X-7 and you've got the perfect GB/GBC system.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Better than the original GBC! Pair it with an Everdrive GB X-7 and you've got the perfect GB/GBC system.
No you don't the aspect ratio is off.
Games don't look the same.
I still would pick the sp101 or a modded gba with 101 screen.

Booter

No you don't the aspect ratio is off.
Games don't look the same.
I still would pick the sp101 or a modded gba with 101 screen.

The aspect ratio is wrong but it doesn't bother me - the difference is minor. The backlight is great and the screen quality is high.

Playing GB/GBC games on an SP feels wrong to me, cart sticking out the bottom, screen with black borders. Modded GBA is costly and also has the black borders. I like playing GB/GBC games on hardware that looks like a GB/GBC.

Top Bottom