• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Yeah do the zip code search that gamestop has. And if the face place is all fucked up just buy a new one from nintendo's store for 5 bucks. Only like 6 gamestops in san antonio here had micro's. There are like a million gamestops here too.

Captain N

InfectedZero said:
Yeah do the zip code search that gamestop has. And if the face place is all fucked up just buy a new one from nintendo's store for 5 bucks. Only like 6 gamestops in san antonio here had micro's. There are like a million gamestops here too.

My brother is going to pick me up a Micro right next to his work during his lunch break. Sweet!

Its fantastic. I never realized how awesome this system was till I had the itch to buy it earlier this week. Kills alot of time on my breaks. :D Just gotta wait till next pay check to get some more games. Gonna get me some Gunstar Super Heroes first.

Hi GAF I need help! I was cleaning my Famicom GBA micro faceplate with a soft microfiber cloth and got the inside of the screen all scratched up!!!

I feel sooo stupid... the plastic screen of the face plate is so much softer than my photographic lenses and they scratch up soo easily. My advice is to just blow on the screen and never ever rub! sob...

Does anyone here have a spare gold faceplate for sale please?

Az987

all good things
Uh... Ive had a micro since Wal-mart clearenced them a few years ago (think i paid 60$).

Anyways, I hardly ever used it and now I dont know where I put the extra faceplates.

Is there anywhere online that sells them?

mrkgoo

memecomplex said:
Hi GAF I need help! I was cleaning my Famicom GBA micro faceplate with a soft microfiber cloth and got the inside of the screen all scratched up!!!

I feel sooo stupid... the plastic screen of the face plate is so much softer than my photographic lenses and they scratch up soo easily. My advice is to just blow on the screen and never ever rub! sob...

Does anyone here have a spare gold faceplate for sale please?

I learnt this the hard way too. It IS plastic afterall.

Xav

Just bought a Micro recently online, ideally I'd like a GBA SP Brighter because it fixes in my eyes the only flaw in the GBA SP but they seem hard to come by these days. When the GameBoy Micro came out I thought it sucked compared to the SP (backlit screen aside) but a few years on and I kind of like it but I still think GBA SP is better.
Maybe it's because after playing my DS Lite and PSP 3000 it feels really tiny compared to those.

Captain N

Yes Boss! said:
<3

I'm at work right now on Sunday playing one of my little Micros with Sim Tower. Sometimes nice to leave the DS at home.

Great game! I love it to pieces and can only hope we see Sim Tower DS make it to America. Am I alone in hoping we see the gameboy come back some day?

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Captain N said:
Great game! I love it to pieces and can only hope we see Sim Tower DS make it to America. Am I alone in hoping we see the gameboy come back some day?
Probably won't happen. Nintendo has succeeded in reaching out to the casual and female market. I doubt they'll ever return to the GameBoy brand, but I would rather the next handheld only have one screen that was bigger than two. I doubt that will happen either though.

BooJoh

Captain N said:
Am I alone in hoping we see the gameboy come back some day?
I love my DS (all three of them) but Game Boy has a special place in my heart. I'd love to see the brand return one day as a single screen system with games downloadable to an SD card and a screen no bigger than the SP screen, but higher resolution with DPI comparable to the GBm/PSP screens. I could take or leave a touchscreen. A few games have made amazing use of it, but for the most part my favorite DS games use traditional d-pad/buttons controls.

fernoca

Sorry for the ..lame bump, is my only hope searching on random Gamestops..for one that is not scratched to hell or something?

eBay prices are..a little too high.... :(

DiGi-C

Banned
Hi all! First post :D

I've been reading this thread since about March but have only just had my account cleared. I love this topic, at first I had no interest in the GB Micro what so ever but now have a helthy collection of 3 and quite a few games, its turned into a slight collecting obsession lol.

Anyway, heres what I have so far (minus a few games, ignore the Pocketstation)

l_c6f6c69c09884b2faee63fddb4387977.jpg

I look forward to posting in these legendary forums more now :)

fernoca

Woohoo!!
DSi quality pics.. :p

21dj1nd.jpg
14wg10p.jpg

..Avatar is better than I thought..reminds me of Zelda. :) ..also got Riviera since it was just $5 and looks quite pretty.
Still have a plastic over it, waiting for a softcase I ordered.

Zing

Banned
DiGi-C said:
I've been reading this thread since about March but have only just had my account cleared. I love this topic, at first I had no interest in the GB Micro what so ever but now have a helthy collection of 3 and quite a few games, its turned into a slight collecting obsession lol.

Your story is similar to mine.

Late last year I decided to get into GBA games. Since GBA games look kind of crappy and are uncomfortable on the DS Lite, I bought a brand new black/silver Micro. After a few days, I didn't like it very much. The screen seemed way too small. The sound was tinny and the headphone output was noisy.

I decided to get a GBASP. While I was at it, I bought a bunch of Game Boy/Color games. I splurged and went for a sealed Classic NES GBASP. I was content with that setup for a while, even though the SP felt bulky compared to the Micro.

Then I found this thread. After spending an evening reading the entire thing, I gave my Micro another chance. It took about a week to get used to, but then I loved it. I didn't notice the small screen. The headphone output was still noisy, but it beat the SP's total lack of headphone jack. The portability was amazing.

I have since bought the inverse black/silver model, along with one black and one silver faceplate (as backup) and a link cable.

I am undecided about what to do with my Game Boy/Color games and the GBASP. The GBASP is worth too much money to have sitting around doing nothing.

DiGi-C

Banned
Zing said:
Your story is similar to mine.

Late last year I decided to get into GBA games. Since GBA games look kind of crappy and are uncomfortable on the DS Lite, I bought a brand new black/silver Micro. After a few days, I didn't like it very much. The screen seemed way too small. The sound was tinny and the headphone output was noisy.

I decided to get a GBASP. While I was at it, I bought a bunch of Game Boy/Color games. I splurged and went for a sealed Classic NES GBASP. I was content with that setup for a while, even though the SP felt bulky compared to the Micro.

Then I found this thread. After spending an evening reading the entire thing, I gave my Micro another chance. It took about a week to get used to, but then I loved it. I didn't notice the small screen. The headphone output was still noisy, but it beat the SP's total lack of headphone jack. The portability was amazing.

I have since bought the inverse black/silver model, along with one black and one silver faceplate (as backup) and a link cable.

I am undecided about what to do with my Game Boy/Color games and the GBASP. The GBASP is worth too much money to have sitting around doing nothing.

Seriously, I'd keep it. I know you could probably use the money but will 20-40 coins really make /that/ much of a difference?

While all this has been going on with the Micro my appriciation for all my past gaming machines has incresed 10 fold and has started a chain reaction of collecting back everything I used to own, all the 'crap' in the attic etc, and am now enjoying 20 years worth of gaming across several platforms, its super easy at the mo cos of car boot season goin on strong here in the UK (atleast near me anyway).

ice cream

Banned
DiGi-C said:
Seriously, I'd keep it. I know you could probably use the money but will 20-40 coins really make /that/ much of a difference?

While all this has been going on with the Micro my appriciation for all my past gaming machines has incresed 10 fold and has started a chain reaction of collecting back everything I used to own, all the 'crap' in the attic etc, and am now enjoying 20 years worth of gaming across several platforms, its super easy at the mo cos of car boot season goin on strong here in the UK (atleast near me anyway).
how does one find car boot sales? I live in UK too (london to be exact) and hardly ever come acros car boot sales.

Pietepiet

I picked up my Micro about two years ago for 20 euros from a classmate. Has been my portable system of choice ever since. Sadly, the faceplate of my silver one got scratched to hell because I forgot to put a sock around it in my bag :(
Anyone happen to have a spare one/know a shop that ships to Europe where I can order one? Nintendo's official site here doesn't seem to sell them, unlike the American website.

BooJoh

Zing said:
There are a lot of quality GB/GBC games out there. I would hold onto the SP for that since there's still no news of Virtual Handheld releases on DSi and as of now SP and GB Player are the best options for GB/GBC. (Granted the newer SP models - commonly called SP+ - have a much brighter and better screen than the NES version. Almost on par with the GBm in terms of brightness and clarity.)

Zing

Banned
BooJoh said:
There are a lot of quality GB/GBC games out there.
Maybe. I made a list of the must have games. I only came up with 13 games and I own nine of them. I dunno. Stuff like Dragon Quest I & II sounds good, but once you get playing you realize how old this stuff is. I played Metroid II for an hour last night and it just plain feels like an old Game Boy game. It feels like a game constrained by its platform. GBA games don't have that feeling, probably because they are SNES level while the Game Boy is sub-NES level.

DiGi-C

Banned
ice cream said:
how does one find car boot sales? I live in UK too (london to be exact) and hardly ever come acros car boot sales.

I don't know about London tbh, I'm in a semi rural part of the midlands so theres always one near by in a field or something, I'd say ask about, especially pensioners people who usually know where they are (I think its a part of the brain that only gets activated once u hit 65). If thats no use look around out door markets, theres always atleast one del boy wanna be about

BooJoh

Zing said:
Maybe. I made a list of the must have games. I only came up with 13 games and I own nine of them. I dunno. Stuff like Dragon Quest I & II sounds good, but once you get playing you realize how old this stuff is. I played Metroid II for an hour last night and it just plain feels like an old Game Boy game. It feels like a game constrained by its platform. GBA games don't have that feeling, probably because they are SNES level while the Game Boy is sub-NES level.
On Metroid II I agree completely. I've been saying for a long time that it desperately needs the MZM treatment. But DW1&2 on GBC is still the most playable version. Go back to the NES version and see how much fun it is when you have to open a menu to talk to people or open chests.

I own around 50, and I can't say they're all must-haves, but there's still a lot of fun games there.

-Color Only-
Deja Vu I & II: The Casebooks of Ace Harding
Dragon Warrior III
Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (requires an actual non-backlit GBC unfortunately)
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Metal Gear Solid
Motocross Maniacs 2
Super Mario Bros. DX (available elsewhere, but not in portable form)
Warlocked

-Color/B&W-
Dragon Warrior 1 & 2
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Game & Watch Gallery 2
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Pokémon Trading Card Game
Shadowgate Classic
Warioland II

-B&W-
Donkey Kong '94
Faceball 2000
Final Fantasy Legend
Final Fantasy Legend 2 (coming to DS.. in Japan at least)
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Mario's Picross (I think these puzzles are DLC for Picross DS.. not sure)
Metroid 2: Return of Samus (did NOT age well)
Operation C
Parodius (JPN)
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2

I weeded out some stuff that would be redundant (Pokemon RBYGS etc) but I'd consider all of those worth at least giving a chance to, and those are just games I own. There's still more worthy games I don't have like Mole Mania, Survival Kids, and the Castlevania games.

HYDE

Banned
Zing said:

Zing, you have got to try Donkey Kong '94, it is just like mario vs dk for the gba. Oh, and if you haven't tried Zelda Link's Awakening, it just might make you take back the sub-NES opinion. Those games are extremely fluid and fun. Try 'em out, you'll love 'em.

I finally got my charge cable in today. Problem is, the GBM I got came with a skull faceplate. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can buy some cheap, plain ones? (aside from nintendo.com)

hank_tree

I haven't used my micro in about a year but I picked it up yesterday and it was still charged. That's a pleasant surprise compared to my PSP which is always dead when I don't use it for a couple of weeks.

HYDE

Banned
hank_tree said:
I haven't used my micro in about a year but I picked it up yesterday and it was still charged. That's a pleasant surprise compared to my PSP which is always dead when I don't use it for a couple of weeks.

seriously, soo very annoying.
at this point, i wish i could just play my psp games on my ps3 digitally.
it hardly feels portable when its attached to the wall constantly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, I love my Micro. If I don't have a DS game to play at the moment, I'll just toss in a cart and play it in passing when I can. Sleep mode makes it even better. Just slip it in, and be on my way. Right now playing Minish Cap, unless the world opens up at one point, I remember it having a larger map and being much longer...

nickrempe

Neo Member
I think I am going to pick up a couple of these and get Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red to have for bathroom systems. The stuff I do in there is criminal enough already, I will just add some more gas to the fire with enslaving Pokemon.

Somnid

Blah seeing this thread made me buy a Famicom GBM I saw today (Excellent quality, has the box manuals and everything). I figured these things will only go up in price as time moves on so I might as well have one for collector's sake. I really wish Nintendo would revist the idea of a truely portable system as a complement to the DS and PSP which are too bulky to have on one's self all the time.

Zing

Banned
nickrempe said:
I think I am going to pick up a couple of these and get Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red to have for bathroom systems. The stuff I do in there is criminal enough already, I will just add some more gas to the fire with enslaving Pokemon.

I have so far acquired Leaf Green. I am still on the lookout for a complete Fire Red. I plan on letting my friend borrow Red so she can play through it while I play through Green. Then we can occasionally link up. Too bad the wireless adapters don't work on the Micro.

nickrempe said:
dude i can totally right there with you

Roto13

I'd totally buy one if it played GB/GBC games. I'd rather get an SP for that, though. I can't see myself buying a new handheld to do something my current gen handheld already does. :p

Nifty little thing, though. I'd probably pick one up at a yard sale or something if I saw it really cheap.

Zing

Banned
I decided to check the Ebay prices of new/sealed Micros. They seem to have went up by $30-40 since earlier this year when I bought mine. I bought one last year and one early this year and they were $60-70 each. It's probably still worth it even at the current price. :D

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Zing said:
I decided to check the Ebay prices of new/sealed Micros. They seem to have went up by $30-40 since earlier this year when I bought mine. I bought one last year and one early this year and they were $60-70 each. It's probably still worth it even at the current price. :D
Gah. Wish I could have gotten it for $70!

Coldsnap

I got my micro this week. In preparation for it I got a black faceplate (so i can have a stealth GBM :lol), Yoshis Island, Mario & Luigi Superstar Sage, Mario World 2, and Final Fantasy 4. Started Yoshi's Island first because I've never played it, I'm loving it.

There's a Walmart I go to every now and then when I go to the beach that still sells new Micros. I picked up two silver micro's from them last summer. It's about an hour away from my house so I don't just drive down there but maybe some other Walmart's still sell them?

BooJoh

Zing said:
I have so far acquired Leaf Green. I am still on the lookout for a complete Fire Red. I plan on letting my friend borrow Red so she can play through it while I play through Green. Then we can occasionally link up. Too bad the wireless adapters don't work on the Micro.
They still have the GBm wireless adapters at store.nintendo.com
$20 each is a bit pricey, but they're nice and small, fit the system well, and they're compatible with the regular GBA wireless adapters.

gbm-wireless.jpg

RedSwirl

I bought one recently simply because it's the only gameboy that makes sense as a keychain.

I have a really bad backlog of games, and it's worst on GBA because I'm not really away from my consoles that often. Having games like Link to the Past and Fire Emblem on my keychain at the ready anywhere though sounded like the perfect thing to motivate me to start playing those games again.

I just need to figure out what to use. Most of the chains I own are too thick for the Micro's slot. Someone suggested using some fishing wire. I just need something that can stand to hang off of my keychain when I'm driving.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
VGChampion said:
There's a Walmart I go to every now and then when I go to the beach that still sells new Micros. I picked up two silver micro's from them last summer. It's about an hour away from my house so I don't just drive down there but maybe some other Walmart's still sell them?
Thanks for the tip! I'll check out some local Walmarts.

Maximus.

i wanna get a micro just so i can bring the random gba game along for wenever im bored but i dont really wanna spend too much to get one and they are so rare :(...ill get one eventually!

Top Bottom