• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Holy fucking shit at this game.

Protip: don't start playing it for the first time while on the toilet.

gotee12

Rez said:
numb thighs becomes a problem
That's pretty much the way I determine iPhone game ratings...

1* - "Tired of it and I haven't even dropped my pants yet".
2* - /plop /splash /bored of it
3* - "Done. Timed that one perfectly."
4* - "My feet are getting tingly."
5* - "Send help... and a charge cable... and a pizza."

Game Dev Story was definitely a 5*...

Bought this today.... cannot put it down. I struggled at the beginning, Kinectdogs was my first big seller at 500K and my Dungeon Raper series only shifted around 200-300K. My historical shooter take (who knew that would be a good combination?!?) War Whore got me almost 1 mil in sales, but the unofficial sequels didn't do as well.

XX XY Factor was my breakthrough game which got me above 1 mil as did the next 2 sequels, before its Playstation debut got me above 2 mil. All 4 of them made the Hall of Fame.

And the return of DUNGEON RAPER (all caps this time) an SD remake of the popular Gameboy RPG got me above 4 mil sales and Hall of Fame.

11 years in and I'm considering a big budget return to War Whore, a big budget Dungeon Raper sequel, or a new game entirely. Still Playstation exclusive at the moment, after the split with Nintendo, but Sega are looking strong. Waiting for the PS2 though, atlhough after that I can't guarantee them exclusivity. XX XY Factor on Wii will be my big seller.

Atilac

A lot of loveless gamers out there
67784_1624594865664_1560273164_31533147_3468362_n.jpg

72715_1624594025643_1560273164_31533144_5618932_n.jpg

Das-J

Law of the West
This game is pure crack and is distracting me from actual game development! If only I had some Dead Bull to help me multi-task... :lol

Jintor

Btw, does anyone know what Reversi or Audio Novel is? Oh, Reversi is some weird strategy game. Is Audio Novel meant to be Visual Novel? That would make more sense.

Mikhal

Jintor said:
Btw, does anyone know what Reversi or Audio Novel is? Oh, Reversi is some weird strategy game. Is Audio Novel meant to be Visual Novel? That would make more sense.

Reversi is a board game. Maybe you've played Othello?

An audio novel is basically a choose your own adventure audiobook. Best example I can think of is Real Sound: Kaze no Regret. That game had a manual that was in braille. :lol
lg_realsoundkazenoregret03.jpg

Rashanii

Neo Member
Has anyone tried the Audio Novel yet? I'm kinda hesitant, but after seeing how many millions you all are selling off of Romance Sims, I may try it...

Aaron

Ever since I launched the MoeStation my games have been selling even more than the install base. Otaku are such suckers. Haven't gotten game of the year or a 40/40 title yet. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

Meier

Rashanii said:
Has anyone tried the Audio Novel yet? I'm kinda hesitant, but after seeing how many millions you all are selling off of Romance Sims, I may try it...
Mystery Audio Novel has been very successful for me.

http://bit.ly/ds6Qaz

This was my first breakout hit actually.

jman2050

Pfft, who needs silly otaku games and audio novels when you can just make bank on your own Final Fantasy ripoff and its ten sequels before the 20 years are up.

mollipen

When we were prepping for the last episode of WAHP, I was telling Nick how I was currently addicted to Minecraft and he told me, "You need to try Game Dev Story". So, I picked it up, and wow... been playing all day. Loving it so far, but also kind of disliking it because I keep coming up with ways I'd like to see the game improve.

Before that, though, I think this is a must play for anybody who loves games, because it really makes you think about the other side of game development. Every time one of my games gets a shitty review (which most have), it utterly pisses me off, which makes me really think about all of the reviews I've done in my life. When it comes time to make a new game, I have to decide between a crazy new project and a sequel*, and more times than not I go for the sequel because it means (a) guaranteed sales and (b) a better chance my little company won't go under. In a small way, thanks to this game, I can appreciate why game companies do what they do a little more.

(Not a true sequel in game terms, but a game in the same genre and theme as games I've released previous that I consider to be a sequel.) I also wish the fake consoles didn't seem to follow along with the success of the real consoles as much as they seem to be doing. That's not fun, and it takes some of the excitement away from the game when you know what will be safe bets. Make all of the consoles totally new and unique, and don't have their success or failure set in stone.

Man, though... I really, really want to see a sequel that greatly expands on what this game is doing. I think part of the problem, for me, is that I find myself really taking my company and the games we develop personally.

I'd love to see more importance places on the games themselves, and not have them be just random "products" to move the game along. I'd like to see franchise/series options in the game (beyond just sequels, which to be fair I haven't gotten to yet), so that I could build brand recognition for certain batches of titles. (Like my own "Megami Tensei" or "Final Fantasy" franchise or whatnot.) Let me build upon brands, see how they're performing among gamers, and maybe even let me give them stats to target them to certain segments.

I really wish games wouldn't disappear off of your list after a while, and I wish you could see far deeper stats for them (such as how popular a particular game was between what types of players). Maybe even let me make box art for the games (in some way), and have an archive of all of my company's past titles. And what about maybe a company logo of some sort?

Maybe also have a way, along with that, to make "mascot" games. Have a way to make games be multi-platform, and include in that the added risk. When the rankings come out, don't just tell me what place my game ranked, but show me a complete top 10 list.

I also wish there was a way to rename your staff. Yeah, the silly names are silly, but after awhile having my female scenario writer be "Gilly Bates" has long since stopped being clever.

Overall, just more more more ways in which I can become attached to my little virtual game-development company, because man, it's crazy how attached I already am. Oh, and man, put this on DSiWare or PSP Minis or something: I'm realizing how much of a pain trying to do real gaming on my iPhone is as I'm eating through battery as if I'm running a freakin' Lynx or something.

Edit: Oh, and I understand why game name length is what it is, but DAMN do I need the ability to make longer game names!

I also forgot to say that I'd love to see the game deal more in-depth with your specific fans as well. Like, if I want to be more of a Nintendo-type "fun for everybody" company, I could do that, or if I want to be a super-niche company, let me be that too. Then, depending on what kind of fanbase I build up by the games I release, have the fans reaction to my future games. Like, my fans become more dedicated if I show loyalty to certain consoles, or have me lose fans if I keep jumping around from platform to platform with every release.

For example, I'm trying to change history and make this damn NEONGEON a more popular system, and it'd be cool if I got like fanmail saying how happy they were that I kept making games for it (instead of jumping so that stupid Super IES).

Oh, and, of course, the ability to play against friends, and have competing companies!

Nocebo

I wish the pc version had a way of managing shipments better. Instead of manually selecting the volume week by week it would be nice to be able to plan ahead so I don't miss a week due to being busy with managing the stress levels of my dev team. I can imagine it would get more cumbersome when you've got multiple dev teams working on separate games. Also it would be nice if I could lower the price on a new shipment of an old game later on.

I can barely make it out of the first year without going bankrupt. Maybe I need to be more strategic with my bank loans. :\ When the 4th month of the second year rolls around and I have to pay to keep my dev crew on I barely have any money left.

Usually my games sell well for only about 5 weeks, so 25000 copies for 5800yen a pop. About 3000yen goes to distributors etc. >< So not a whole lot of profit either.

I must be doing something wrong I guess. Maybe I'm spending too much money on advertising.
I figured out at least that making a game based on a manga is the best way to go. Sometimes when you base it on a very popular manga you'll get free publicity.
I'm still playing around with what first "technology" to buy would be good. The cheapest three are something reducing rate of stress gain, bug squashing and work speed. Maybe hiring less guys initially and going with increased work speed would be more efficient money wise...

Pachael

After playing it for the last four days on any time I could spend on it, gee whiz it's a cracker. With my Charmega company doing well and on my first run, Boat Delite 3 sells the most (Dating Simulation) 32.4M.

I'd have liked more meat in the latter half of the game too, and some more depth in customisation and/or concurrent development (teams! stars in tiny groups developing risky material with outsourced work for the sequels! trends and fads! etc).

r4z4

Frack me this game is awesome!

Question... how do I build Hype? I only ever manage to get it up to around 40 or so =(

I love this game but I seem to struggle at the beginning. Is it possible to get high scores from the first game you make? Or is it a case of train your guys, level them up and eventually the higher scores come in?

Shaneus

MarkMclovin said:
I love this game but I seem to struggle at the beginning. Is it possible to get high scores from the first game you make? Or is it a case of train your guys, level them up and eventually the higher scores come in?
Outsource early, outsource often.

kottila

MarkMclovin said:

The whole point of the game is to get to high scoring games. If you do it on the first game, there is no challenge left in the game

CoG

MarkMclovin said:

Don't be afraid to fire the dead wood on your staff. As soon as you have enough money to do the most expensive employee search do it and hire the talent with the highest stats you can find. Don't waste money on the cheaper searches. Do this every few years. The staff you start with take forever to train up and it's easier to hire good talent.

Barrett2

MarkMclovin said:
Gotta hire more talented people.

crispyben

Fuck this game, I just spent all morning playing it alone in my office... and now I'm playing catch-up with my e-mails! Crispy Games isn't even doing that good, only two million-sellers in 19 products, only 5 mil in the bank, and my Super IES licence is worth nothing now :( Oh well, I'll fire all these slackers :lol

CoG said:
Don't be afraid to fire the dead wood on your staff. As soon as you have enough money to do the most expensive employee search do it and hire the talent with the highest stats you can find. Don't waste money on the cheaper searches. Do this every few years. The staff you start with take forever to train up and it's easier to hire good talent.

I cant really tell who is dead wood. I have 6 staff, all have at least 2 areas of lvl5 skill, yet I can't seem to create a game with a score of 5+

I've created 8 games with sales of an average of 180,000 amd I'm on year 7 m1. I also have 690 fans. Dunno if thats bad or not.

beat

MarkMclovin said:
I cant really tell who is dead wood.
You'll know because the job applicants at level 1 or 3 or whatever will eventually far outclass your level 5 employees.

Firestorm

Don't know if this has been asked yet, but how does this perform on an iPhone 3G? I'm wary of spending money on games considering how terribly most of them run =( Even Facebook freezes often.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Firestorm said:
Don't know if this has been asked yet, but how does this perform on an iPhone 3G? I'm wary of spending money on games considering how terribly most of them run =( Even Facebook freezes often.

Got an iPod Touch 2G and the game runs great.

Top Bottom