• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orayn

Those *NOW REMOVED* screens looked very, very nice. I even saw a hint of Mirror's Edge in some of the art direction. It is DICE, after all.

This game sounds all kinds of amazing. I'm one of those who still boots up BF2 regularly, and I cannot wait to see this in action. Go DICE! :D

Anyone have a video/PDF detailing the ANT engine? I've never heard of it.

But what could it be ahead of the March 1st reveal? I'm guessing it's just gonna be single player stuff, no gameplay though. Maybe an in-game cinematic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
-Pyromaniac- said:
But what could it be ahead of the March 1st reveal? I'm guessing it's just gonna be single player stuff, no gameplay though. Maybe an in-game cinematic.
Maybe it's going to be something from Microsoft's event this week?

Makoto

Now I'm curious what the main factions will be in Battlefield 3. US for sure, but will the PLA and MEC (probably the most interesting of them all) make a return? The lack of interesting factions in BC2 was really lackluster. I'm sure Russia will be introduced as a main faction (whereas there were just two small factions in Special Forces).

The one thing I don't like about what's been announced is that unlocks are making a return. I liked it better when each faction had their own unique weapons that helped in establishing them. At this point, the series seems like it's becoming pick your weapon and pick your "costume."

Izayoi

Banned
vidal said:
Now I'm curious what the main factions will be in Battlefield 3. US for sure, but will the PLA and MEC (probably the most interesting of them all) make a return? The lack of interesting factions in BC2 was really lackluster. I'm sure Russia will be introduced as a main faction (whereas there were just two small factions in Special Forces).

The one thing I don't like about what's been announced is that unlocks are making a return. I liked it better when each faction had their own unique weapons that helped in establishing them. At this point, the series seems like it's becoming pick your weapon and pick your "costume."
The game is based in the Middle East, and we already know from screens that the US has soldiers there, so both the US and MEC are making a comeback, at least.

I actually don't know if Russia would be a faction. It's a strong possibility, but I see them focusing far more on the MEC.

We'll probably see the European Union at some point as well.

wait, wait, wait hold the fuckin phone.....COMMANDER MODE IS IN????

fuckyeah.png

woober

wwm0nkey said:
Just saw new images....holy god....

Also it appears you can have custom text on the back of your helmet too!

Yes! I was hoping for this once I saw it on the helmets. I hope this eliminates the distracting floating usernames in online matches.

Kibbles

derFeef said:
The Battlefield moments videos are godly indeed. That said, I would prefer something like that for the reveal - but it is going to be singleplayer for sure.
Agreed. The BF Moments videos were great hype-inducing multiplayer videos. I'm looking forward to hopefully more of those for BF3.

Mully said:
screenshots

There are only 3 and they're not screenshots (unless I am looking at the wrong ones). There is really nothing OMG about them.

Also, you may not want to ask for scans even in PM. I believe that is against GAF etiquette.

derFeef said:
The Battlefield moments videos are godly indeed. That said, I would prefer something like that for the reveal - but it is going to be singleplayer for sure.

Dat Experience.

Looking back at that video after having played the game for almost a year now. They most definitely need to have those videos leading up to the BF3 launch.

Enkidu

woober said:
Yes! I was hoping for this once I saw it on the helmets. I hope this eliminates the distracting floating usernames in online matches.
I haven't seen the scans or whatever but are you seriously saying that a bit of tiny text at the side of the helmet is enough to replace usernames? Also, distracting? They are functional! I bet it's people like you who made removing health bars standard :(

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
from the official BF3 website

The folks at OffDutyGamers.com consist of, you guessed it, off duty soldiers, who all share a love of games. With the teaser trailer of Battlefield 3 now live, these troops took a look at the art from the game and did an expert breakdown of all the equipment carried by the Battlefield 3 soldier. Take a look at the image below for the full rundown.

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3/blog/battlefield-analysis

adSgE.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CryptiK said:
Who is this when and how come he cant tell us I wonder what it is.
That's DICE's community manager.

The most likely reason he can't say why is because it's probably a Game Informer update, and Game Informer update times are usually not known by developers.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
CryptiK said:
Who is this when and how come he cant tell us I wonder what it is.

He is the Global Battlefield Community Manager at DICE.

Kibbles said:
Thank god for the watch holder, whatever would we do without it.

I wonder what rank I have to get up to in order to unlock the Advanced Tactical Knee Pads? Will they come before or after the Norotos Three Hole Shroud?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
I wonder what rank I have to get up to in order to unlock the Advanced Tactical Knee Pads? Will they come before or after the Norotos Three Hole Shroud?

Kneepad = pre-order Gamestop exclusive
Norotos Three hole shroud = day 1 exclusive DLC only 4.99$

Can't wait for the video!

I'm drooling from the screens. I'm so glad they decided to axe Windows XP support and go only DX10/11... It looks godly!

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, the orange light thing is actually just a glow stick?

I never would have guessed.

Also, the screens look incredible. Can't wait for the trailer.

woober

Enkidu said:
I haven't seen the scans or whatever but are you seriously saying that a bit of tiny text at the side of the helmet is enough to replace usernames? Also, distracting? They are functional! I bet it's people like you who made removing health bars standard :(

So is the minimap and you see people playing without them on hardcore.

Manager

The work day in Sweden is coming to an end, if GI/whoever/EA have any respect for DICE they'll release the video naaaao

Please. Please.

Manager

From lead designer:
locust9: I am digging all the "these have to be prerendered" comments. Ah. Innocence. #BF3
http://twitter.com/locust9

Probably talking about the screenshots, but hopefully he's talking about the trailer.

edit:
@Xenoliath lol at prerendered. You guys.. are in for a treat.

Nice

derFeef said:
Wow, Swedes only work until 3pm? ;)

I bet DICE people do, I look in awe everytime I walk past their building in Stockholm. Kickass office.

Enkidu

woober said:
So is the minimap and you see people playing without them on hardcore.
They are free to remove the entire HUD in hardcore if they'd like, but I still think it would be stupid to remove a bunch of useful information from the user in the main game in an attempt to add "immersion".

Manager

Dismattle Zipperbag
@zh1nt0 The screen shots shown are not actual game-play right (more like movie segments right?)

zh1nt0 Daniel Matros
@Dismattle They are in-game :)

Joy.

(They talk about Gamestar one's)

Enkidu

Manager said:
Not sure if this was mentioned before or not, but Punkbuster is in:
Damn shame. I've never had any problem with it myself but I remember trying to play BF2 with a friend and having to find a server that wasn't running punkbuster since he kept getting kicked.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Enkidu said:
Damn shame. I've never had any problem with it myself but I remember trying to play BF2 with a friend and having to find a server that wasn't running punkbuster since he kept getting kicked.
Punkbuster sucks, i cant play BFP4Free thanks to that thing. T_T

Arcipello

i suspect a BF3 video will surface today.... last night a friend from DICE let me know to expect something good VERY VERY soon. also said that frostbite 2 was by far the most impressive engine hes ever worked with.... the real time radiosity lighting alone is godly.

Manager

Arcipello said:
i suspect a BF3 video will surface today.... last night a friend from DICE let me know to expect something good VERY VERY soon. also said that frostbite 2 was by far the most impressive engine hes ever worked with.... the real time radiosity lighting alone is godly.

See previous posts, it's more or less confirmed already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom