• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Ikuu said:
They should have Medic, Assault, Recon, Engy, and Support at least. I guess we're going to have Medic as the strongest class again.
I guess they are going the 2142 route, which makes me happy because I think it´s the best battlefield game. Of course I am alone here :p

EVIL

Insane Metal said:
EVIL
(Today, 12:38 AM)
Reply | Quote

No scans are allowed here, Junior. :)
:'( racism :p
didnt hurt to ask, wouldnt be the first time a PM woul suddenly pop up. :)

Spookie said:
"PC version is lead version"

Oh shit. :eek:

changb.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Make the squads bigger than 4 and/or have proximity voice chat and squad chat since communicating with other people not in a squad on your team didn't exist in BFBC2 (to my knowledge).

Raide

Hrmm.... Defibrillator, some weird Medic Needle Syringe, or something new? I miss the self heal stuff from BC2.

demolitio

Ugh. No fucking mod tools pisses me off. I've been on mod teams on every BF from 1942-BF2 and it was one of my favorite unique aspects to the BF series where you could always count on very well done mods for every war known to man. If BF3 had tools, it'd spark my interest in modding again and would give the game a lot of re-playability since you could always take a break from vanilla BF and go to a completely new setting to have some fun.

Otherwise the info sounds good and I'm sure BF3 will own my life for at least a year, but I really wanted the mod community to come alive again. Hopefully some mods are possible without it being too difficult. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FLEABttn said:
Okay, so going through the article:

-Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-"Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
-
There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done

So, I can have Battlefield: Bad Company/Battlefield BC2 non-newbie-ification back? (EG: Team Kill idiot snipers, no kill cam to give away my sniping position) in addition to destroying everything AND have video montages on consoles for the 12 year olds that want to stroke their e-peen can see me?

*JizzInPants.gif*

GotY ALL YEARS/GotG right here.

DICE, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY (only if you put in PS3 text keyboard chat for my disabled ass, PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
lead version doesn't mean shit if the lowest common denominator is still a muddy, ankle deep puddle.

i want to hear what they're doing on pc that won't make the cut on consoles. 64 players is a start, but meaningless if the game isn't entirely designed to accommodate them - in which case, the 24 player console version should be barely recognizable.

four classes and superfluous single player are already sounding wayy too bad company for my liking. next we'll find out that that goddawful rush mode is back instead of a fleshed out commander mode and i'll be ready to stick a fork in it.

EVIL

fuuuuu four classes, thats a bummer. would have liked support to be a class of its own. so we wont get spammed with uber medics again.

derFeef

EVIL said:
fuuuuu four classes, thats a bummer. would have liked support to be a class of its own. so we wont get spammed with uber medics again.
I think we should not take the Bad Company mechanics into account here. BF3 might be very different in terms of gunplay and pace. At least I hope it is.

Sounds amazing to me having never played a Battlefield game but what the hell at 2011, it's getting to the point of 1 or 2 must have games every month; my poor wallet :(

Biff

In the year of gaming that will forever be remembered, BF3 is at the very very top of my hype list. Can't wait!!!

DICE ninjas please report back home that beta details would be much appreciated plzthx

Raide

slamskank said:
All of this sounds great. Hoping the gunplay is an improvement from BC2, that game felt weird to me.

I kinda liked it. Weighty yet with the right amount of oomph. Maybe a bit more damage was needed overall though.

I could have sworn when they asked about mod tools on BC2, they mentioned something about how difficult Frostbite 1.5 is to work with but 2.0 would be better. What a disappointment. People still play BF2 mods.

Arnie

Would have like a spec ops class with silencers and C4's and shit.

Hope Medic is like BF2 e.g. stock rifles without grenade launchers. Don't give them LMG's, that's stupid.

Best news of the whole article is the consideration of a theatre mode. I want to share my Battlefield Moments with the internet.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
derFeef said:
Best sound in gaming, that HDR is pretty incredible indeed.
Medal of Honor's sound design is LEAGUES better. Very meaty and powerful. Of course, Dice did the multi for that game too, so I'm psyched. :3

However, thing is, I really like infantry games, so I'm wondering how well they're going to strike a balance between solid infantry play and heavy machinery play. I'd like to not have to AT every tank that comes our way, but watching large scale armor battles while my squad moves in to flank infantry positions would be sick.

Anything on factions present or new vehicles?

The teaser had a Lynx chopper getting blown up by a Su-27/37 so interested if there is an EU faction or are the MEC going to return?

FLEABttn

Banned
Dubbedinenglish said:
Anything on factions present or new vehicles?

Nothing concrete in regards to anything controllable. No mention of factions.

Iced_Eagle said:
Any word on commander mode? Is it totally gone now? :-(

It's in. Not much said on it other than they want it to be easy to get into but still have complexity and depth.

Raide

doomed1 said:
However, thing is, I really like infantry games, so I'm wondering how well they're going to strike a balance between solid infantry play and heavy machinery play. I'd like to not have to AT every tank that comes our way, but watching large scale armor battles while my squad moves in to flank infantry positions would be sick.

Thats what the Battlefield developers do. Well, on the 64 player PC version at least. :(

1-D_FTW

Mr. Snrub said:
I could have sworn when they asked about mod tools on BC2, they mentioned something about how difficult Frostbite 1.5 is to work with but 2.0 would be better. What a disappointment. People still play BF2 mods.

I think they did some "research" and found that mods conflicted with the ability to control the "DLC narrative."

Cobra84

Mr Sandman said:
If they're changing BC2's classes, I hope it's

Support: LMGs, ammo, extra grenades, etc
Assault: Medkit, AR+GL, smoke, revive, etc
Other two - same as BC2

LMGs + medic is just too unrealistic and is pretty OP.

Agreed. Medics should be Assaults without GLs and such, but with medical supplies.
Sounds good, more than 4 classes is probably too much for 24 players. I'd give recon silenced smgs so they really can live up to their class name and actually use their equipment. Silenced smgs on the class with the the loud, easily seen rocket launchers never made sense anyway.

1-D_FTW said:
I think they did some "research" and found that mods conflicted with the ability to control the "DLC narrative."

Exactly. "Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?"

Where else should it be spent? Unlocking different parts of the map as "map packs"? New unlocks? Mod tools give a game a lifespan, why would you not encourage that?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
FLEABttn said:
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
Customization is great, and nice to know it won't go the way of TF2, though I would have never expected it to hit that low.

f0rk

Mr. Snrub said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure they used this excuse last time round. I'm not particularly bothered because I didn't get into mods last time?
I guess Crysis 2 will be the most high tech modding experience for a while?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Are those pictures actual in-game screenshots? They look like target renders to me.

I was hoping not to buy a new computer this year... :/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
drizzle said:
Are those pictures actual in-game screenshots? They look like target renders to me.

They were promising a new wave in graphics, so presumably they would be real.

The game doesn't even run on DX9 or XP and uses tons of DX11 effects.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks said:
So, I can have Battlefield: Bad Company/Battlefield BC2 non-newbie-ification back? (EG: Team Kill idiot snipers, no kill cam to give away my sniping position) in addition to destroying everything AND have video montages on consoles for the 12 year olds that want to stroke their e-peen can see me?

*JizzInPants.gif*

GotY ALL YEARS/GotG right here.

DICE, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY (only if you put in PS3 text keyboard chat for my disabled ass, PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ)
Dood get a Twitter account and tell them.

EDIT: I asked them.

EVIL

drizzle said:

>< Wants to see, I dont think GI is out here yet.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Mr. Snrub said:
Exactly. "Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?"

Where else should it be spent? Unlocking different parts of the map as "map packs"? New unlocks? Mod tools give a game a lifespan, why would you not encourage that?
Because why encourage a game's lifespan when you can encourage a game's lifespan and get people to PAY for it. On that note, mod tools after a year would be great, like after their "DLC narrative" gets played through, but don't hold your breath.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The Faceless Master said:
4 classes, no mod tools, killcam, story mode? who is DICE trying to fool by claiming that PC is lead version?

2142 had 4 classes. You can turn off kill cam. I can't see how addition of SP can make this game less PC centric since there are SP games on PC as you know.

subversus said:
2142 had 4 classes. You can turn off kill cam. I can't see how addition of SP can make this game less PC centric since there are SP games on PC as you know.
real battlefield fans know that single player shouldn't exist and nobody wants to install 2142 with it's invasive rootkit-like DRM...

Mr Sandman said:
Guys running around with M60s and Gustavs and can repair temp god mode tanks. Sounds fun. :D
yeah, but i play engineer a lot, and don't play medic that much :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
X-Frame said:
Single Player?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Battlefield 1 and 2 were MP only?
All the PC Battlefields let you play against bots. The bots were mentally retarded. So yes, they were MP only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom