• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stallion Free said:
All the PC Battlefields let you play against bots. The bots were mentally retarded. So yes, they were MP only.
BF2 Bots on veteran are just as deadly as bots on the highest difficulty in CoD...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fersis said:
Dood get a Twitter account and tell them.

EDIT: I asked them.

I have you there, Mr. Twitter DICE Liaison. Get to work on that and greasing the wheels to Theater mode.

All I want is bind key ability (for 1-0 for asking ammo/health) in addition to t/v "say_all"/"say_team" function ability. There is no excuse the PS3 version can't have that as MGO and one-two other games had it at launch in addition to PS3 UT3 supporting keyboard and mouse.

Make it happen, DICE.

Wait...the console player count hasn't been increased because nobody complained? Is that what I'm reading?

"No, console player count is being raised. Dealwithit.gif/no complaining about it."

The Faceless Master said:
i think they want people to complain.

someone start a petition! or a boycott!

I'll complain with the strength of 50 gamers if they can at least push it to 32 players on console.

VaLiancY

Alright DICE. Don't make leveling up stupid like in COD. Make me hit the wall like in Bad Company 2 and you got my money.

4 classes ain't that bad. They can mold Spec Ops and Recon together. Just dont give lmgs to medics.

REV 09

All of that sounds good to me. I love BC2 so much that it was my GOTY, but I didn't much like BC1 or 1943. I've never played BF2 and have no intention of playing BF3 on the pc (even though i have one more than capable). I'm somewhat concerned that the mp game will be too much of a departure from BC2, but all this info sounds great to me so far. I'm glad that the sp is being redone, sounds more like a mix between MoH and CoD. I think MoH has been the best sp modern war game so far.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Scans are out. Looks bland as any shooter in the modern setting. This falling 10 storey (or something like that) building looks impressive though. Expect urban combat.

-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
Their time would be better spent on that than singleplayer.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I like this for the classes:
Assault: AR/BRs w/ under barrel attachments/LMGs, Ammo.
Medic: AR/BRs w/o under barrel attachments/certain carbines/SMGs, medpack, defib unit.
Engineer: Carbines/SMGs, RPGs/Mines/C4/Possibly standalone GLs, Repair tool
Recon: Scoped BRs, Sniper Rifles, C4/Mortar system, deployable sensor/spotting system.

All-class
Shotguns, special weapons, smoke/frag/EMP/marker grenades, secondaries from standard handguns to short clip, weak machine pistols, possibly some sort of targeting system (laser marker) in place of handguns. 2D spotting for non-silenced weapons, silenced weapons being a possible weapon mod for almost all weapons.

Yeah, kinda wide ranging, but now I wanna play more BC2 :p

vanty

Cuban Legend said:
How can the bots be deadly but be mentally retarded at the same time?
Play any Unreal Tournament game against bots, then play BF2 against bots. One has good AI, the other has laughably horrible AI, I wonder which is which.

Anyway, has there been any confirmation about how health works? I've seen nothing about having actual health likes games should have instead of the even-worse-than-CoD recharging crap from BC2.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Emphasis on animation... no more gliding characters!?

Thank you DICE.

Rorschach

-4 classes
idHxj6.gif

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Green Scar said:
I dunno, the difference in player counts is a good sign for now.
You can always jam more players in fairly easy. The question is if it is going be designed for PC foremost. Not just PC being the lead development platform, but still compensating for consoles for design decision.

REV 09

subversus said:
Scans are out. Looks bland as any shooter in the modern setting. This falling 10 storey (or something like that) building looks impressive though. Expect urban combat.
looks good, but generic. Certainly doesn't have the art style of BC2. It looks like MoH in a city. Hud looks like the one from MoH too.

Emily Chu

Banned
Would it be too much to ask for realistic gore/destruction ?
take a page from Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway or Saving Private Ryan.

nothing crazy, just if any explosives, grenades,tank rounds, air strikes, heavy caliber round, etc happens upon any soft targets they should be rendered accordingly.

not much but it adds an extra layer to the gameplay and visual impact.

not a gore monger just want to see gore done right in a game for the first time ever... and since this is a war game that is going pulling out all the stops might as well...

destructible surroundings
destructible soldiers

before you all tear me a new one.

PC being lead is just awesome.

Evolved1

Holy shit at the character models... the gun models... oh my god.

Jesus 2011 is the year of forever.

REV 09 said:
looks good, but generic. Certainly doesn't have the art style of BC2. It looks like MoH in a city. Hud looks like the one from MoH too.

I don't agree with this at all. These models set a new bar for realism. And the thing is... they're going to animate so well.

It's not "generic". It's accurate.

REV 09

recklessmind said:
I don't agree with this at all. These models set a new bar for realism. And the thing is... they're going to animate so well.

It's not "generic". It's accurate.
i'm slightly concerned that it's going to be too "cool", but i'm still hopeful. MoH's campaign was realistic and quite good.

slamskank

linking to homemade photos of the pics in the spread is a no no on here right? Anyways, I am floored, going to grab an issue on my way to see a movie tonight, have to read it myself.

Evolved1

I think DICE is a developer I'd like to see attempt first person cover system. I think they'd probably get it right. Something fluid and contextual (not clunky or cumbersome) that feels authentic and doesn't give an unfair (sight) advantage to the player in cover.

Another thing... I was really hoping they'd support Track IR but it's looking pretty unlikely at this point.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Can anyone comment on how the gun models look in this? I always thought they looked a little too blocky in the BC games.

sflufan

Banned
slamskank said:
linking to homemade photos of the pics in the spread is a no no on here right? Anyways, I am floored, going to grab an issue on my way to see a movie tonight, have to read it myself.

I'm not sure that you'll find it on newsstands or EBG as of yet.

mclaren777

Slayer-33 said:
Wat!

WAT!

WAATT!

WWWAAATTT!
Vote with your dollars, right? I'm tired of swearing in videogames and DICE really upset me with the bro-shooter tone of BC2. If BF3 is going to be similar, they aren't getting my money.

I'll just sit back and hope they get Mirror's Edge 2 right (less gunplay, better cut scenes, etc).

recklessmind said:
I think DICE is a developer I'd like to see attempt first person cover system. I think they'd probably get it right. Something fluid and contextual (not clunky or cumbersome) that feels authentic and doesn't give an unfair (sight) advantage to the player in cover.

Another thing... I was really hoping they'd support Track IR but it's looking pretty unlikely at this point.
Fuck this first person cover bullshit.

Crouch.

Lean.

Prone.

There's the only cover system that matters, and it's been around for a long time.

FLEABttn

Banned
RoboPlato said:
Can anyone comment on how the gun models look in this? I always thought they looked a little too blocky in the BC games.

They look fine to me, but the pictures are smaller than I'd like.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
mclaren777 said:
Vote with your dollars, right? I'm tired of swearing in videogames and DICE really upset me with the bro-shooter tone of BC2. If BF3 is going to be similar, they aren't getting my money.

I'll just sit back and hope they get Mirror's Edge 2 right (less gunplay, better cut scenes, etc).

Fuck you and fuck your censorship. It's a fucking Battlefield. Of goddamn course they're gonna fucking swear, you fucker.

Slaps M on this post

Massa

I <3 Memes said:
Dude soldiers in combat curse. A lot. So would you if you were in combat.

I don't think Russian soldiers speak Spanish in combat though, like they do in BC2. :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
mclaren777 said:

If they wanted to make the dialogue authentic they would actually have to bro it up even more.

1-D_FTW

Does look damn good. But I wish the scans had the article so I could see for myself how they were finessing the 64 player language.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mclaren777 said:
Grr! I was hoping DICE got that out of their system in BC2.

Will rent, not buy. :(
I actually thought that the swearing in BC2 was a lot more natural and less obnoxious than in other games like Killzone or something. It seemed to fit and didn't seem forced.

mclaren777

RoboPlato said:
I actually thought that the swearing in BC2 was a lot more natural and less obnoxious than in other games like Killzone or something. It seemed to fit and didn't seem forced.
It just didn't fit the characters that were established in the first game. It felt forced and disjointed.

An idea for EA to make some money from me: release for-pay DLC that changes the dialog track to be Teen-rated.

Massa

Rorschach said:
They didn't. There was combat in South America as well. The online dudes speak Russian.

I'm referring to the online, my memory has completely blocked the BC2 sp already. The Russian dudes speak a Spanish line every now and then.

Evolved1

MickeyKnox said:
Fuck this first person cover bullshit.

Crouch.

Lean.

Prone.

There's the only cover system that matters, and it's been around for a long time.

It's pretty retarded to pass judgement on a thing that doesn't even exist yet... All (stop and pop) shooters should have the three pillars, but a competent dev might be able to expand on the classic design without making sacrifices.

I did not state that BF3 needs FP cover... I said I'd like to see DICE give it a shot at some point. I think of any dev, they seem to have the right sense of balancing weighty player movement with playability. They also have great artists and a strong focus on animation.

It was just a comment dude put away the claws.

Rorschach

Massa said:
I'm referring to the online, my memory has completely blocked the BC2 sp already. The Russian dudes speak a Spanish line every now and then.
Not that I've heard... &#1075;&#1088;&#1072;&#1085;&#1072;&#1090;&#1072; sounds like "granada" but it's not. :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
recklessmind said:
It's pretty retarded to pass judgement on a thing that doesn't even exist yet... All (stop and pop) shooters should have the three pillars, but a competent dev might be able to expand on the classic design without making sacrifices.

Case in point: Red Orchestra 2.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
mclaren777 said:
It just didn't fit the characters that were established in the first game. It felt forced and disjointed.

An idea for EA to make some money from me: release for-pay DLC that changes the dialog track to be Teen-rated.

Please tell me that it's an issue with your parents not allowing you play M rated games because otherwise dude... Wow such prudence..

They are soldiers in a war game not TFC 2 caricatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom