• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclaren777

Slayer-33 said:
Please tell me that it's an issue with your parents not allowing you play M rated games because otherwise dude... Wow such prudence..

They are soldiers in a war game not TFC 2 caricatures.
I'm 29 years old. I just don't like listening to people swear, whether in real life or in entertainment media. I find it extremely tacky because it often makes the speaker sound immature and unintelligent.

recklessmind said:
It's pretty retarded to pass judgement on a thing that doesn't even exist yet... All shooters should have the three pillars, but a competent dev might be able to expand on the classic design without making sacrifices.

I did not state that BF3 needs FP cover... I said I'd like to see DICE give it a shot at some point. I think of any dev, they seem to have the right sense of balancing weighty player movement with playability. They also have great artists and a strong focus on animation.

It was just a comment dude put away the claws.
My comment isn't directed at you specifically, but more towards the fact that the function of a cover system in a MP-fps was around and working for years, only to be stripped away and is slowly being re-introduced.

At this point I'd rather see those devs that took huge steps backwards demonstrate competence in the use of a system that was well established and bring them back to par with where they were years ago, before fumbling around with the next step.

Massa

Rorschach said:
Not that I've heard... граната sounds like "granada" but it's not. :p

Hum, didn't think of that to be honest. I'm gonna start paying more attention, if they throw a "hijo de puta" there I'll know for sure it's not Russian. :p

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
mclaren777 said:
I'm 29 years old. I just don't like listening to people swear, whether in real life or in entertainment media. I find it extremely tacky because it often makes the speaker sound immature and unintelligent.

I guess that they could go with a tick box option in gameplay options to remove swears from some circumstances that would otherwise lead to them.

raphier

Banned
They better add an option for swearing, seriously, last time I played Conviction the swearing was so ridiculous I started to think "I am too old for this Shit"

mclaren777

raphier said:
They better add an option for swearing, seriously, last time I played Conviction the swearing was so ridiculous I started to think "I am too old for this Shit"
I'd advise staying away from Bulletstorm. It was so bad I had to stop playing.

Afrikan

game looks amazing :O

can't wait to see it in motion!

also can't wait to see other games that will use Frostbite 2.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Can't wait for their first trailer... they were on fire with those BC2 "battlefield moments" videos.

GWX

Metalmurphy said:
Just saw the scans. Holyshit!

Dat Smoke!

Yeah, it looks really good... Let's hope Anti-Aliasing is more effective this time around: I want a great IQ in this game :3

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
people are ok with killing people in games but get upset when people swear in games...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
recklessmind said:
Can't wait for their first trailer... they were on fire with those BC2 "battlefield moments" videos.
Yeah, the Battlefield Moments were some of the best promotional videos I've ever seen for a multiplayer game and really put into perspective what sets Battlefield apart.

Kibbles

Need to see this in motion. Hopefully March 1st brings some gameplay videos, and not just like an extended version of that teaser. >_>

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kibbles said:
Need to see this in motion. Hopefully March 1st brings some gameplay videos, and not just like an extended version of that teaser. >_>
I think they're doing a tech demo at GDC so they'll probably at least show some video of the destruction tools.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ikuu said:
Ugh, only 4 classes?

=/, not sure how I feel about this. Hopefully they won't give assault classes ammo boxes again.

Rorschach

Pankaks said:
=/, not sure how I feel about this. Hopefully they won't give assault classes ammo boxes again.
That's probably how it will be. The snipers so they can lone wolf all day? Medics already have med packs. Engineers?

Taking out the Support and Spec Ops classes sucks. Who's gonna carry the C4? Assault and snipers again? Snipers never want to get in on the action and assault gets ammo boxes for infinite c4. Laaame.

And why would medics carry around heavy ass lmgs anyway?

I don't really care about the swearing to be honest, but I gotta say, all the chatter going on in BC2 REALLY adds to the game. It's just awesome running towards somewhere, explosions and smoke everywhere, and hearing people shouting from the front, sides, back, etc. Don't really mind if it's FUCK FUCK FUCK that I'm hearing most of the time.

I'd imagine people wouldn't really watch their language in a similar situation IRL.

@ mclaren777. I believe linking to sites is also a no go on GAF. Better play it safe.

Evolved1

Mr Sandman said:
Looks like real soldiers, not the character models DICE made up[?] (though I liked them). .

I was about to post something similar... these are the most believable character models I've seen in a military shooter. I think it's the proportions. They don't look "gamey" at all.

Might just be the images... we'll see how they are in motion... but I'm thinking this is the new high water mark.

Afrikan

GWX said:
Yeah, it looks really good... Let's hope Anti-Aliasing is more effective this time around: I want a great IQ in this game :3

I remember a dev saying he had tried MLAA for Bad Company 1, but it didn't work right.

I wonder/hope they tried it for Frostbite 2..........but I doubt it.....they most likely have their own solution, Crytek.

Grayman

There is no good way to break up four classes in a way that does not suck. Someone who should not have a light machine gun has one.

Putting it on assault would bring back the support class but give them C4. The Battlefield 2 classes had a good breakdown.

Metalmurphy said:
I don't really care about the swearing to be honest, but I gotta say, all the chatter going on in BC2 REALLY adds to the game. It's just awesome running towards somewhere, explosions and smoke everywhere, and hearing people shouting from the front, sides, back, etc. Don't really mind if it's FUCK FUCK FUCK that I'm hearing most of the time.

I'd imagine people wouldn't really watch their language in a similar situation IRL.

@ mclaren777. I believe linking to sites is also a no go on GAF. Better play it safe.
gamespy is legit media. i cringe at the term legit media.

Grayman said:
There is no good way to break up four classes in a way that does not suck. Someone who should not have a light machine gun has one.

Putting it on assault would bring back the support class but give them C4. The Battlefield 2 classes had a good breakdown.

gamespy is legit media. i cringe at the term legit media.

I believe all the "planet" sites are simply hosted by gamespy, but ran by other ppl.

Jtrizzy

MickeyKnox said:
Fuck this first person cover bullshit.

Crouch.

Lean.

Prone.

There's the only cover system that matters, and it's been around for a long time.
I agree. Cover systems inherently have problems, and that's why I play fps over a game like Uncharted online. I honestly wish ND would make Drake control in similarly to fps controls, ie the ability to crouch and play stealthily but still keep the cover system.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I know it'll never happen, but I wish they could have a more realistic mode where parachutes won't work unless you actually open them a reasonable distance from the ground. Better yet, make it so that bailing out of your vehicle isn't so instantaneous. There's nothing more frustrating than getting off a crack shot on a transport helicopter with a rocket, seeing it spin to the ground, and suddenly there are four parachutes opening two feet from the ground and you're getting swarmed by infantry.

vanty

So are the pictures in the magazine from gameplay not a cutscene or anything? Because a couple of them seem to show a cover system.

EDIT: ^^^ Not allowed maen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jtrizzy said:
I agree. Cover systems inherently have problems, and that's why I play fps over a game like Uncharted online. I honestly wish ND would make Drake control in similarly to fps controls, ie the ability to crouch and play stealthily but still keep the cover system.
I think it's different for a TPS with full control over the camera and more of a sense of full body movement like Uncharted than in an FPS. I do like some cover systems in FPS but I think they work a lot better and make more sense in a TPS. Goldeneye Wii actually had a unique solution for cover in an FPS. If you were crouching behind cover and you went into ADS you would pop up and then pop back down with you released Z. It worked really well.

vanty said:
So are the pictures in the magazine from gameplay not a cutscene or anything? Because a couple of them seem to show a cover system.
I think those are just allies taking cover, not the player.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
eternaLightness said:
Seriously those guys do sound very well.
That is an understatement. MoH and BC have had some of the best sound design this generation.

EDIT: People, you have got to be smarter than this. JC.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
raphier said:
You would have to mute voice chat as well, unless you want to hear some child (or manchild) tell you to dildo your ass with a cactus and douche it out with lemon juice.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
vanty said:

I'm guessing that they're from both -- because I see a HUD.

Evolved1

vanty said:

Very possible it's just single player NPC's...

Evolved1

vanty said:
Ah yeah I forgot about singleplayer bleh.

I have this sneaking suspicion that SP is going to be totally ace. You heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom