• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Battlefield 3 - New Thread of Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menelaus

Banned
Hey look, Kertz is showing his lack of respect to the PC side...shocker.
Blond3r
@locust9 @Demize99 General question to get a better idea: What do you estimate what percentage of customers ask for mod-tools? Many or few?

Demize99
@Blond3r Most people don't even know what a Mod is, but that's irrelevant to the question of "do we make mod tools."

BF2 and 1942 were pretty crap before some of the best mods came around (Desert Combat, Project Reality, etc).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Battlefield 3: DICE has 'learnt lesson' from BC2 DLC mistakes

"To be honest, Bad Company 2 was a bigger success than we anticipated," he admitted. "We did not account for that. We sold a lot of copies and don't feel bad about where we were, but looking back, we should have released more, bigger content after."

He added: "We were more successful with our approach then anticipated. We didn't think most people would hit level 22 to be honest, and especially so fast. Our calculations on how much people would play to hit level 20, 25, 50 were completely wrong. We thought people wouldn't play that much."

For Battlefield 3, says Bach, DICE will properly prepare for post-release content to keep the community occupied.

"We've learnt our lesson now, and have a lot of really interesting plans for how to keep the attention of the players. We can do better in that area," he said.

"The challenge is to build a game, and then have more people coming on before the project is done to start building extra content because it takes a lot of time to get stuff out."

There will be "a lot more to unlock", Bach promises, "not only weapons and other treats, but we have more things that you can unlock than in Bad Company 2. We're also making sure that there is a reason for you to reach top rank," he said.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
All I ask of DICE is to keep Call of Duty out of my Battlefield. I don't want people focusing on perks, k/d, or some uber silliness like Prestige.

KiKaL

I am super excited for this game. I played the hell out of BF1942, 1943, BF:Vietnam, BF2 and now BC2. I like the direction they have gone with BC2 but do miss some elements of the earlier games. This will definitely be a Day 1 PC purchase.

edit - Just please oh please do not let Kill streaks enter this game. That would probably be the deal breaker unless they did something like Crysis 2's system.

I only hope that the progression is kept interesting with worthwhile unlocks etc. None of these Halo Reach-style 1 billion XP needed to reach top rank.

derFeef

DenogginizerOS said:
All I ask of DICE is to keep Call of Duty out of my Battlefield. I don't want people focusing on perks, k/d, or some uber silliness like Prestige.
Yeah, but above statement sounds exactly like those things :/

DenogginizerOS

derFeef said:
Yeah, but above statement sounds exactly like those things :/
Yup. They have to realize that it is good to differentiate themselves from CoD, right? Sales may be their motivating factor, but if they muck up what they have done thus far, they may piss off their fans. All I have to do is think of the latest Medal of Honor.....*shutter*.

ghst said:
"we're gonna put the juiciest carrot on the end of the longest stick you've ever seen!"
that sounds naughty

Menelaus

Banned
subversus said:
if telling the truth is showing disrespect then yeah.
We're talking about the PC here. I refuse to believe that modding was not a critical reason for the success of 1942 and BF2.

I was there, man...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Menelaus said:

BF2 and 1942 were pretty crap before some of the best mods came around (Desert Combat, Project Reality, etc).
Dont forget that Demize99 likes to troll...
He was a modder thats how he got the job at DICE.

Kade

Menelaus said:

Developers don't release mod tools when the community has better ideas than they do.

ie. Far Cry 2

Massa

Menelaus said:
We're talking about the PC here. I refuse to believe that modding was not a critical reason for the success of 1942 and BF2.

I was there, man...

You know what, Bad Company 2 may be the most popular Battlefield game on PC ever.

Think about that.

Massa said:
You know what, Bad Company 2 may be the most popular Battlefield game on PC ever.

Think about that.
Did you think about that?

BC2 is at 5M on all platforms. Highly unlikely that the PC version accounts for 2M+ of those sales, which is what BF2 sold.

DenogginizerOS

Darkshier said:
Don't you like to fill bars though? Who plays for fun anymore when there is stuff to be unlocked!
To me, unlocking stuff in Bad Company 2 was always a bonus but it is never a priority for me as to how I play. I hate games that disrupt how the game should be played just so someone can get a treat or perk. The subtle system in Bad Company 2 rewards you for playing the game the way it is intended to be played.

AppleMIX

Metalmurphy said:

BC2 is at 5M on all platforms. Highly unlikely that the PC version accounts for 2M+ of those sales, which is what BF2 sold.

PC was the highest selling platform.

Massa

Metalmurphy said:

It's actually at 7+ million.

Metalmurphy said:

BC2 is actually over 7 million now. Not surprising to me at all. It's a great game on all platforms. Really surprised DICE and EA didn't see the sales coming. BC2 was released on PC, unlike BC1 and there hadn't been a BF release recently, other than shitty Heroes. The game had a great demo and beta on consoles, which I'm sure attracted a ton of people. The game was also marketed pretty heavily.

Menelaus

Banned
Fersis said:
Dont forget that Demize99 likes to troll...
He was a modder thats how he got the job at DICE.
The entire PoE mod WAS a troll, so I guess he's very talented at what he does then.

AppleMIX said:
PC was the highest selling platform.
Was it? Or are you mistaking it with the early reports of more people playing online on the PC. Which soon stopped being so. (even though it's probably back to being true now).

Massa said:
It's actually at 7+ million.
Darkshier said:
BC2 is actually over 7 million now. Not surprising to me at all. It's a great game on all platforms. Really surprised DICE and EA didn't see the sales coming. BC2 was released on PC, unlike BC1 and there hadn't been a BF release recently, other than shitty Heroes. The game had a great demo and beta on consoles, which I'm sure attracted a ton of people. The game was also marketed pretty heavily.
What the... when did that happen?

Massa

Metalmurphy said:
Was it? Or are you mistaking it with the early reports of more people playing online on the PC. Which soon stopped being so. (even though it's probably back to being true now).

What the... when did that happen?

Few weeks ago that's what one of the DICE guys said on twitter.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PC share increased in the last few months, since they re-released the game for $60 on consoles (Ultimate edition, now back at $40) while selling it for $6 on Steam.

Menelaus

Banned
Kurtz just replied to my tweet:

Demize99
@Blond3r Most people don't even know what a Mod is, but that's irrelevant to the question of "do we make mod tools."

themobsoftware
@Demize99 That may be true for consoles, but to say that to a PC player is insulting. Desert Combat and PR made BF2 and 1942 real winners.

Demize99
@themobsoftware I'd love to live in the world you do but I'm stuck over here in reality deciding between a making great game or mod tools.
Sounds like they are confused, and think that people are demanding an SDK at launch...who cares about that! We just want one period.

Enkidu

Menelaus said:

I was there, man...
1942 maybe, Desert Combat seemed far more popular than the vanilla game among the people I met. With BF2 though, no real big mods seemed to take off early on. Many started but they all seemed to fail, and by the time something decent came out BF2 was past it's prime and most people who wanted to buy it already had.

Tunin

I don't get it, people just complain, complain and complain.
As a sequel the game will be different from BF2, that's fucking obvious! They've been experiencing gameplay modes and adjustments enough to know what's gonna make a better game and vice-versa.

BF3 IMHO will be THE killer FPS for this year, as BFBC2 was last's year.

Massa said:
Few weeks ago that's what one of the DICE guys said on twitter.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PC share increased in the last few months, since they re-released the game for $60 on consoles (Ultimate edition, now back at $40) while selling it for $6 on Steam.
Yeah I take it back. At 7M it's quite likely it outsold the BF2 version. Damn, impressive.

RS4-

If they had released a mod kit for BC2, I'd have done the Predator raid on the rebel camp in squads: 4 vs the rest; the small assault group is slightly buffed vs the horde.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Whats wrong with unlocks + leveling if the game is fucking FUN as fuck to play?

I don't see a single issue with that.

Menelaus

Banned
Silly.Mikey said:
This 24 players max on consoles is really starting to bug me.
Get a PC. You don't see PC gamers complaining about their 5 year old machine not being able to hang with the big dogs.

iam220

Unlike most PC gamers, I hope that spotting and regenerating health makes it into BF3. Also squad spawning.

Those 3 features are part of the reason I enjoy BC2 so much.

Slayer-33 said:

Just ask the people who bought BC2 over the holidays and how they, newbies, got to face off versus vetran players with much better gear.

Menelaus said:
Get a PC. You don't see PC gamers complaining about their 5 year old machine not being able to hang with the big dogs.

Xbox1 did 24 players online + bots in battlefront. Im fairly sure 360 can do more than that.

DenogginizerOS

iam220 said:
Just ask the people who bought BC2 over the holidays and how they, newbies, got to face off versus vetran players with much better gear.
I can turn down my gear to Level 1 levels and still finish in the top 3 if not at the top. It can be done.

Enkidu

Slayer-33 said:

If the game is fun to play, why do you need a carrot on a stick? Why not give everyone full access to everything? Isn't that also what console players are all about, an even playing field?

iam220

DenogginizerOS said:
I can turn down my gear to Level 1 levels and still finish in the top 3 if not at the top. It can be done.

ok? Kind of irrelevant. I'm sure there people out there who can finish in the top 3 just with a knife .. but that does not take away from the issue of rewarding more experienced players with better stuff. Shit don't make sense.

Silly.Mikey said:
This 24 players max on consoles is really starting to bug me.
5+ year old tech and archaic bandwidth standards will do that.
Silly.Mikey said:
Xbox1 did 24 players online + bots in battlefront. Im fairly sure 360 can do more than that.
Battlefront isn't pushing anywhere near the data that BC2 does. That destruction tech has a price you know and that price is less players online.

Menelaus

Banned
Silly.Mikey said:
So i guess discussing doesn't count as "complaints" to Dice and EA. Pathetic.
More like there are specific hardware limitations that people want to blindly complain about.

Darkshier said:
5+ year old tech and archaic bandwidth standards will do that.

Battlefront isn't pushing anywhere near the data that BC2 does. That destruction tech has a price you know and that price is less players online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontlines:_Fuel_of_War

Fontlines does 50 players on that "5+ year old tech" with dedicated servers.

Multiplayer (Up to 64-Player via PC Internet or LAN or up to 16 Players by using the Xbox 360 as the server or up to 50 using Xbox Live Dedicated servers via Xbox Live)

Silly.Mikey said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontlines:_Fuel_of_War

Fontlines does 50 players on that "5+ year old tech" with 360s as dedicated servers.

Multiplayer (Up to 64-Player via PC Internet or LAN or up to 16 Players by using the Xbox 360 as the server or up to 50 using Xbox Live Dedicated servers via Xbox Live)
And that game doesn't have any destructible environments at all. No game is doing what Bad Company/BF3 is doing, so you can't compare anything to them. DICE has already said they would have to remove the destruction and vehicles for higher player counts (on consoles), but that just isn't going to happen.

Menelaus

Banned
without any kind of destruction.

please, abandon this argument before it delves into the hilarious.

edit: manhug for Darkshier

DenogginizerOS

iam220 said:
ok? Kind of irrelevant. I'm sure there people out there who can finish in the top 3 just with a knife .. but that does not take away from the issue of rewarding more experienced players with better stuff. Shit don't make sense.
I don't see it as much better gear as much as it opens up more ways to play. My point is there are essentials available to you at Level 1 that can still support a very fulfilling and competitive experience.

DenogginizerOS said:
I don't see it as much better gear as much as it opens up more ways to play. My point is there are essentials available to you at Level 1 that can still support a very fulfilling and competitive experience.
Unless your a medic, then your screwed.

iam220

DenogginizerOS said:

Its not very competitive when you have a 25% disadvantage in damage, health or accuracy. The starting weapons are decent enough, I'll give you that, but the stat modifying perks are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom