• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: Battlefield 3 [FLEABttn to the rescue, new thread soon!]

MDSLKTR

If by setting sights on cod they mean a better multiplayer experience then someone tell gameinformer that all the mp "innovations" in mw wouldn't even exist without bf2.
I hope the trailer tomorrow is the ea intern video that most people around the web have been hyping about.

J-Rzez

Das-J said:
I'm really excited to see what new features are coming our way... particularly if they've pushed player count forward!

Heh, you'd be a little interested in the player count huh? :p

But yeah, I'm curious to see what they do with that as well. But more so, I'm interested in the new animations, and of course the visuals as a whole. Weapon lists would be nice as well.

Two things that get people up in arms when it comes to shooters these days though are: Prone?!??!?! and Lean?!?!?! It's always great reading the battles, errr, points of each side of the coin on them.

Can't wait to get my issue of this Game Informer 2 weeks after it shows up in Gamestop stores as usual.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No_Style said:
Fuuu---

Gorgeous cover.

It's aping Bad Company 2's man-on-fire motif, though. BF3 confirmed for console upport to PC. Dealwithitnerds.gif

*says this as he replaces his BC2 desktop background with this*

Can't wait for Game Informer March then.

I just Frostbite 2.0 doesn't have the infamous "Frostbite freeze/hardlock" that BC1 and 2 had. :| That said, this is one of my most hyped games this year. I've sunk 400-700 hours into Bad Company 2 since it's launched. Best game this generation.

Blueblur1

I do not like that cover art. It's too similar to the box art for Bad Company 2 and super generic. I'm interested in reading about the game though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I hope they don't "Call of Dutify" Battlefield, like every other shooter does it now (MoH and Crysis 2.. both from EA...)

Also, WHY didn't Dice announce that 1943 for PC is canceled last week? I would've jump on the EA discount on live and bought it for the 360. I even pondered for a while, but decided to wait for the PC one...

Oh well, I'll just wait a couple more months.

scoobs

I'm not sure I like the way they're saying its "going after" call of duty... BF2 is NOTHING like call of duty. If its smaller maps and less focused on squads im gonna pass.

I hope console player count is increased to at least 32 or 40.

24 wasn't enough on some of the BC2 maps and if the B3 maps are bigger...dat's a prolem

darthbob

Net_Wrecker said:
I hope console player count is increased to at least 32 or 40.

24 wasn't enough on some of the BC2 maps and if the B3 maps are bigger...dat's a prolem

Not without dedicated servers.

CryptiK said:
Tomorrow will confirm no jets and no prone. My bet is this will be BFBC3 under the BF 3 name. My hype reserved until proven wrong
sounds like i'd better preorder 2 copies!

Net_Wrecker said:
BC2 wasn't on dedicated servers?
BC2, BC1, BF1943 and BF2MC on consoles are all on dedicated servers.

The Faceless Master said:
BC2, BC1, BF1943 and BF2MC on consoles are all on dedicated servers.

That's what I thought. So unless they found a way around the issues that led to the console version of BC2 having 8 less players than the PC version, I don't see how the console version of B3 won't be a massively different game.

That is unless this is just BC3 under the "Battlefield 3" name.

Mr. Snrub said:
I thought I'd miss it but I really don't. Considering the level of detail in graphics nowadays (and how hard it was to pick out wookies in BC2 WITHOUT prone), I could do without it.

I'd only want prone in if there are heavy penalties for movement as you fall into it.
even if they make it take 2 seconds to get into and out of prone and disable firing weapons during that time, it's still gonna be a bitch to see wookies camped out far away but hey it would stop people from dolphin diving and drop shotting. i bet a ton of people who want prone will be the first ones complaining about wookies!

Net_Wrecker said:
That's what I thought. So unless they found a way around the issues that led to the console version of BC2 having 8 less players than the PC version, I don't see how the console version of B3 won't be a massively different game.

That is unless this is just BC3 under the "Battlefield 3" name.
well, that's up to MS/Sony, a dice Dev mentioned the console makers have bandwidth restrictions on games and the players combined with the vehicles and destruction eats up right to the max allowed.

seady

Have never played a Battlefield game, can someone explain the differences among Battlefield, Bad Company, 1942, Heroes etc etc.

Would like to see the return of the 64-player battles and dogfighting with the jets. Battlefield 2 on the PC was the shit.

Just keep all the fucking Call of Duty influences away and come up with some original ideas. Crysis 2 is downright pathetic with everything it borrowed from CoD.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can just see it now:

GUYS WE HAVE 64 PLAYERS ON PC*

*Punkbuster is still being used.

The game is more or less worthless to me if they don't do Steam implementation. 20 friend limits and punkbuster don't cut it in 2011.

gillty

Banned
seady said:
Have never played a Battlefield game, can someone explain the differences among Battlefield, Bad Company, 1942, Heroes etc etc.
off the top of my head

Battlefield 1942
*Expansions
*Battlefield Vietnam (Standalone)

64players, large maps, hotkey communication system, conquest, emphasis on vehicles

Battlefield 2
*Boosters +Special Forces Expansion
*Battlefield 2142 (Standalone w/ additional gameplay changes)

new engine 16,32,64 player versions of each map, commander system, squad system, precursor to call of duty 4 weapon unlock/ranking system, communication wheel

Battlefield Heroes

Free2Play Browser game, cartoon style, third person, Battlefield in name

Battlefield BadCompany 1/2

single player campaigns, deemphasis on vehicles, removal of fixed wing aircraft, smaller and more corridor based maps, destruction, 24 players on consoles, removal of prone, for bc2 streamline of 5 class system into 4, added rush gameplay mode (with a defocus on conquest)

Battlefield 1943

"remake" of 1942 and released only on consoles, $15, 3 maps, bc1 in ww2 w/ 3 classes.

bengraven

LiK said:
Seems like they really love that splash of orange.

1182713-bfbc2_pc_box_art_super.jpg

I actually thought they just reused the BC2 cover. Color me shocked by checking out the few differences in the cover you linked.

ezekial45

Banned
Valru said:
off the top of my head

Battlefield 1942
*Expansions
*Battlefield Vietnam (Standalone)

64players, large maps, hotkey communication system, conquest, emphasis on vehicles

Battlefield 2
*Boosters +Special Forces Expansion
*Battlefield 2142 (Standalone w/ additional gameplay changes)

new engine 16,32,64 player versions of each map, commander system, squad system, precursor to call of duty 4 weapon unlock/ranking system, communication wheel

Battlefield Heroes

Free2Play Browser game, cartoon style, third person, Battlefield in name

Battlefield BadCompany 1/2

single player campaigns, deemphasis on vehicles, removal of fixed wing aircraft, smaller and more corridor based maps, destruction, 24 players on consoles, removal of prone, for bc2 streamline of 5 class system into 4, added rush gameplay mode (with a defocus on conquest)

Battlefield 1943

"remake" of 1942 and released only on consoles, $15, 3 maps, bc1 in ww2 w/ 3 classes.

You forgot Battlefield 2142

The only sci-fi battlefield game.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Battlefield 2 + Boosters + 64 players + Jets + Choppers + Frostbite.

That is all.

Also, kick ass BF theme back please.

*Looks at BF3 cover*

*faps furiously in corner*

I cannot stand what Call of Duty has become on the PC with all of their dedicated server crap. BF2: BC shit all over CoD: MW2 so I cannot wait to see the next BF game.

Babalu.

CryptiK said:
Tomorrow will confirm no jets and no prone. My bet is this will be BFBC3 under the BF 3 name. My hype reserved until proven wrong

God this is what i'm expecting and its making me cry.

commander, comma rose, prone, jets, ABSOLUTELY NO RUSH (FUCK THAT LAME ASS MODE), giant 64 player maps

i want that.

I hope to god there's jets.

Seriously, like 60% of my Battlefield series time was spent in a flying vehicle on huge 64 player maps.

Why did the gaming industry have to regress from that glorious vision of huge tactical battles? :(

Top Bottom