• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Cover: Battlefield 3 [FLEABttn to the rescue, new thread soon!]

ghst

thanks for the laugh
AnimatorZombie said:
Still 24 players on consoles? :(
if the console version turns out to be a inner-most circle of bf2 sized pc maps, gutted and rebalanced to the point where it's barely recognizable, there is still a glimmer of hope.

gillty

Banned
ghst said:
if the console version turns out to be a inner-most circle of bf2 sized pc maps, gutted and rebalanced to the point where it's barely recognizable, there is still a glimmer of hope.
Honestly the 32 player version of BF2 maps >>>>> BC2 maps.

Simple answer: because of consoles. Long answer, courtesy of 1943 programmer Gustav Halling: because of consoles' bandwidth limits, and inability to process network data in a speedy manner:

64 players are of course awesome but will all good there is some hurting also. I can assure you that the 24 player limit is not about us being lazy but the experience of a massive battlefield is not bound to the amount of players! And as many of you remember most clan wars where player with 8vs8 or 12vs12 and what we have seen many of the 64-player servers are mostly half-full or having lack of performance.

We have made it sure that Battlefield 1943 will feel big and have a fast pacing, bf1942 actually had very low pacing! If you place 100 people in one room it feels very small, but if you put 100 people on the streets it seems like nothing! 24 players will give us the benefit of having full servers almost all the time and the whole map area is being used!

Beside these design decisions there are technical limitations. There are very restricted bandwidth limits on the consoles and we are networking a lot more then 24 players:

# 24 players are networked
# Almost as many physics driven vehicles with movable and destroyable parts
# All destruction, if a wall is being destroyed on one client we need to update it on all the others, otherwise we could end up with players hiding behind non-existent walls.

If we did remove all destruction and all our vehicles we could have more players. But no other game gives you the wide gaming experience we have!

From an article about why Battlefield 1943 is only 24 players, I imagine this applies to Battlefield 3 as well....

Not surprising though. Bad Company 2 was 32 players on PC and 24 on console. Games like this are why I want a new generation of consoles.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/44624/Battlefield-1943-Why-The-24-Player-Limit

Darkshier said:
Not surprising though. Bad Company 2 was 32 players on PC and 24 on console. Games like this are why I want a new generation of consoles.

If any game gets me off my ass and forces me to finally build a PC it'll be this one. Watching vids of a PC version with 64 players vs. console 24 players will kill me when this game comes out.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EmCeeGramr said:
I hope to god there's jets.
I hope to god they bring it back to WWII, so there are no Jets or Helicopters. The only shit that should be flying in the skies are planes, people, and jeeps.

Mrbob

Kibbles said:
Console version gimped. Fucking fuck.

That explanation is bullshit, Frontlines had 50 players on consoles MAG has 256.

Gimped? :jakncoke Not at the level of detail Dice is going with in BF3.

PCMasterRace.jpg

Kibbles said:

That explanation is bullshit, Frontlines had 50 players on consoles MAG has 256.
Did they have destructive environments and vehicles like Bad Company? No. And of course the console versions are gimped, they are years old tech compared to what the PC can offer.

abuC

Mrbob said:
Gimped? :jakncoke Not at the level of detail Dice is going with in BF3.

PCMasterRace.jpg

I plan on joining the PC Master race, when and where are the rallies?

If the player limit is 24 players on the console... then there arent going to be any jets. I dont see how jets could fit in a 12v12 game and they really wont build maps and jet mechanics just for the PC. Damnit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ihya said:
Could it be any more generic?

Yeah, I don't understand the love for the cover. You could slap any military FPS brand on there and it'd fit.

I <3 Memes said:
If the player limit is 24 players on the console... then there arent going to be any jets. I dont see how jets could fit in a 12v12 game and they really wont build maps and jet mechanics just for the PC. Damnit.

It's probably going to be B3 Console Version, and B3 PC Version. 2 separate games. A 40 player disparity is too big a difference for them to do a straight console port anyway since the maps would have to be reworked, and not having Jets is going to cause an uproar.

If it's gonna have that much of difference they should just keep battlefield 3 PC exclusive. The Bad Company series should be the one they make for everything

Cobra84

I <3 Memes said:
As a flight sim fan, they can keep all of the aircraft, including helicopters, out. They have never done them right in any BF game I've played (BF2, BC2, 1943). Either go realistic (even just a little) or user friendly arcade (I've always like the GTA flight controls), but don't go difficult and arcade.

Arucardo said:
It has singleplayer too? hmmm, that makes me slightly worried...

Why? Great multiplayer games has had singleplayer parts. And some of us care more about that part then the MP part.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Cobra84 said:
As a flight sim fan, they can keep all of the aircraft, including helicopters, out. They have never done them right in any BF game I've played (BF2, BC2, 1943). Either go realistic (even just a little) or user friendly arcade (I've always like the GTA flight controls), but don't go difficult and arcade.
They're not difficult at all. I've done rolls over rockets and strafed tanks in the choppas with no problems, and I've never touched a flight sim in my life.

Vinterbird said:
Why? Great multiplayer games has had singleplayer parts. And some of us care more about that part then the MP part.

It's kind of a waste of money and resources when it comes to BF games though. It isnt like any of use who are fans of the series even expected a single player game.

Loxley

Kibbles said:

MAG also looked like an up-rezzed Battlefield 2, and wasn't pushing nearly as many pollys as BF3 likely will be, stack on top of that the destruction 2.0 stuff, and I don't see why his reasoning wouldn't be sound at all.

Seriously, people think developers are lying about shit like this?

I <3 Memes said:
It's kind of a waste of money and resources when it comes to BF games though. It isnt like any of use who are fans of the series even expected a single player game.

I don't disagree that the hardcore BF user just wants the multiplayer and nothing else, but if DICE is serious about taking on CoD, they need to bring the full package instead of showing up with half of what the competitor offers.

Having both will give them a bigger change to lure in the most people, which is what they should be focusing on.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kibbles said:
1fd5pcffnn.gif

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Valru said:
Honestly the 32 player version of BF2 maps >>>>> BC2 maps.
the world war one map i made when i was twelve that was just a flat plain with two slits cut in it>>>>>>bc2 maps.

Babalu.

Vinterbird said:

You are looking for the wrong game my friend. Battlefield is multiplayer game. Not a singleplayer. They already catered to your console peasant race with bad company. Go play that single player. Real battlefield doesnt need it. It doesn't need it to compete with the medal of honors or call of duty's because it is and always has been above them both in a class of its own.

Darklord

Banned
So glad to see 64 players back. I really hope that means BIG maps or at least a couple of PC exclusive huge maps(this IS a PC series after all).

Babalu. said:
You are looking for the wrong game my friend. Battlefield is multiplayer game. Not a singleplayer. They already catered to your console peasant race with bad company. Go play that single player. Real battlefield doesnt need it. It doesn't need it to compete with the medal of honors or call of duty's because it is and always has been above them both in a class of its own.

I don't disagree as mentioned, but I still believe that if BF3 needs to be relevant to as many people as possible, they need to bring both SP and MP. And yes they are competing with CoD, they even say so themselves, and they need to if they want to be relevant in the multiplayer space.

If Battlefield 3 launched just as an MP game, I really can't see it doing well at all.

Jtrizzy

All the consternation over the "taking on COD" quote is silly. They were saying the the same thing before BC2.

I'll be double dipping on this game. I'll be building a pc specifically for this, and the wait is killing me. Id do it now, but I want to have the newest compnents available. BC2 is by far my favorite game of this console gen...made lots of good gamer friends too. Hopefully lots of people double dip, looks like Abu is...

Hellcrow

Vinterbird said:
I don't disagree as mentioned, but I still believe that if BF3 needs to be relevant to as many people as possible, they need to bring both SP and MP. And yes they are competing with CoD, they even say so themselves, and they need to if they want to be relevant in the multiplayer space.

If Battlefield 3 launched just as an MP game, I really can't see it doing well at all.

BF2 sold shitloads, and singleplayer was only multiplayer with bots.

commissar

Singleplayer in BF3 could actually be quite sweet. Objectives and story unfolds in a theatre of war (large map), with the ability for multiple missions in an area and the freedom of being able to move around the *ahem* battlefield and choose your approach.

A crysis style take on mission structure where you can go to place A and get supplies or go via B and avoid patrols, or assault position C to give the advantage over D (and so on).

Hell, if they require a return to base and then remember the damage caused in that mission then change the map to night and it's a whole different feel.

Singleplayer BF3 could be awesome :D
or it could be a linear stop and pop fest :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AnimatorZombie said:
Still 24 players on consoles? :(
They're bandwidth capped by Microsoft and Sony according to Demize99 from a few months ago.

They have the RAM to support more, but the "you must be able to play on a connection of speed X" policy that console makers enforce stop them from being able to support more players on consoles.

Edit:

I see that Darkshier actually posted an article detailing this also.

This is good since I couldn't dig up the old tweets. >_<

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
commissar said:
Singleplayer BF3 could be awesome :D
or it could be a linear stop and pop fest :(
They made Mirror's Edge and hired a bunch of new people, so I'm willing to give them a shot.

Jtrizzy

Let's say this game realeases in November. When would it be safe to start building my PC? I guess the safest thing would be to wait till they announce the specs? My recollection with BC2 was that they added HBAO at the end, and a lot of gaffers whose pc's were considered up to date couldn't use that feature.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
weekend_warrior said:
I hope it's absolutely nothing like Bad Company 2.

I wouldn't mind some parts of BC2 making it in, but yea, a real conquest mode will be nice :D.

Nabs

Jtrizzy said:
Let's say this game realeases in November. When would it be safe to start building my PC? I guess the safest thing would be to wait till they announce the specs? My recollection with BC2 was that they added HBAO at the end, and a lot of gaffers whose pc's were considered up to date couldn't use that feature.

If you're not in a rush, I say just wait until Intel straightens out their SB mobo problem. You'll be able to build a great PC that'll last a really long time, especially with the way this generation is going.

Pikelet

Jtrizzy said:
It's built for consoles too, if you bought your computer a year and a half ago you could still probably play this on high. HBAO is a nice luxury, but far from required for the game to look great (in BC2 at least).

Mully

I'm really excited about this trailer. I got into BF2 far too late so this is my next best bet. I really hope they allow us to upgrade our weapons from what type of barrel we have, how long the barrel is, what type of scope, what type of ammunition, what size mag, etc. I really hope they do something like that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't understand people freaking out about console versions. I mean they will be as good as consoles can do, still good games. If you want something better, just go and build a PC in good old times fashion. Don't want to deal with its complexities? Stay where you are, you'll still get a good console game.

Jtrizzy

Nabs said:
If you're not in a rush, I say just wait until Intel straightens out their SB mobo problem. You'll be able to build a great PC that'll last a really long time, especially with the way this generation is going.
No rush. I have plenty of backlog on my consoles, and the BC2 ps3 GAF community is outstanding(although I've been slacking with my communication and teamwork a bit lately). Not that don't want to go ahead and jump into pc gaming full bore, but in all honesty I probably wouldn't be building one if not for this game. PC tech moves so quickly, it just seems like the prudent thing to do would be wait. I want to use every bit of tech they cram into this game.

.nimrod

I hope the deferred rendering won't make quality AA a pain in the ass on PC

I already know it will... :'(

Top Bottom